Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 110

post #1636 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

So at least tbe Annie's drivers are cherry picked in comparison to the standard models. That means a lot actually, as following say, Beyerdynamic and its horrendous driver variations, much of that could be avoided with cherry picking drivers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I don't know if it means cherry picked, or just that they take two  of 'em that measure the same to avoid channel imbalances or whatever.

 

Yeah not cherry picked, they are just matching the impedance of the driver. Sennheiser does this with their HD6X0. It really doesn't make much of a difference in sound. 

post #1637 of 3188

I tried them with and without the inner foam donut.

 

Taking the inner foam out might bring back a little air…It's hard to tell.  It sounds like it's not much necessarily making the highs brighter but is instead just making the nearby sounds around it a littler lighter with less body so it's easier to hear the air that's there.

It seems like there is slightly more body with the inner foam in.

 

Someone else can try it and see what they think.

 

 

I also tried with and without the outer grill caps.  I didn't notice much change, but I didn't compare for long.

 

 

Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

My first listening said they were the same, apart from the pads, but I will swap pads again and give them another pass on the next session to double check.

 

 

I gave them several more A-B passes with swapped pads, and they still sound the same when using the same pads.


Edited by chicolom - 2/28/13 at 12:55am
post #1638 of 3188

Well, I tried that, but something was not right to my ears, so, I just installed them like they always were.

 

THX

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post


Thickest part should be totally facing the back and not up or down. That's the way mine have been...

 

 

post #1639 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I don't know if it means cherry picked, or just that they take two  of 'em that measure the same to avoid channel imbalances or whatever.


This.

post #1640 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post

Well, I tried that, but something was not right to my ears, so, I just installed them like they always were.

 

THX

 

 

 

All the AKG have the thickest part of the pad at the back and the thin part at the front.  That's how they angle the pads.  You can look and see there is a little mark on one of the bayonet lock tabs underneath, and that's supposed to be at the back of your ears.

 

But if you prefer them rotated...

post #1641 of 3188

Can (or has) anyone take off the pad and foam of their Annie and take a picture of the grill? I'd love to see how it compares to my 702.

post #1642 of 3188

Going to check later, thanks. It never bother me, I got them like this, bought them used and they were installed this way, so, maybe the previouse user liked them so as well, or, simply installed them wrongly, I dont know...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

All the AKG have the thickest part of the pad at the back and the thin part at the front.  That's how they angle the pads.  You can look and see there is a little mark on one of the bayonet lock tabs underneath, and that's supposed to be at the back of your ears.

 

But if you prefer them rotated...

post #1643 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I don't know if it means cherry picked, or just that they take two  of 'em that measure the same to avoid channel imbalances or whatever.


Its kinda the same technique CPU makers are using, basically they cannot predict at all the performance of the chip they are making, so they just measure it after its made, and put the correct sticker on it.


Edited by musiclife - 3/3/13 at 3:57pm
post #1644 of 3188
That would be the definition of cherry picking, or binning as they actually call it. They test at X speed and anything that passes can be sold as X, then Y, etc. Intel often has such good yields that a lot of stuff that would pass as X still gets sold as Y because there's more demand for the latter... Mostly due to lack of competition, hence the big overclocking headroom most of their parts have exhibited for a while.

Not exactly the best analogy to channel matching which is merely ensuring sample A is close to sample B, not up to X specification etc.
post #1645 of 3188

Exactly.. matching relatively close resistance, capacitance or some other measure that would give good balance. Like when they  sell matched pairs of expensive BlackGate caps.
 

post #1646 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiancerveza View Post

The Q's bumps don't bother me so I'd save some money.  

 

Agreed. The K702 band doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm doing +6 hour long gaming sessions. I'm interested in picking up a pair of the Annie pads.

post #1647 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

Agreed. The K702 band doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm doing +6 hour long gaming sessions. I'm interested in picking up a pair of the Annie pads.

 

Not get off topic but how much hair do you guys have? I do a buzz cut and the last time I tried a K702, "I was like what numskull designed this?!" 

post #1648 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

So at least tbe Annie's drivers are cherry picked in comparison to the standard models. That means a lot actually, as following say, Beyerdynamic and its horrendous driver variations, much of that could be avoided with cherry picking drivers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I don't know if it means cherry picked, or just that they take two  of 'em that measure the same to avoid channel imbalances or whatever.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

 

Yeah not cherry picked, they are just matching the impedance of the driver. Sennheiser does this with their HD6X0. It really doesn't make much of a difference in sound. 

 

Wait, could it possibly be that a manufacturer is exaggerating just a little in their marketing materials?! Hmm... wink_face.gif

post #1649 of 3188
Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

Agreed. The K702 band doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm doing +6 hour long gaming sessions. I'm interested in picking up a pair of the Annie pads.

 

 

Not get off topic but how much hair do you guys have? I do a buzz cut and the last time I tried a K702, "I was like what numskull designed this?!" 

 

Haha. I'm at that age where it is going fast, my friend. Very thin and very little up top and the K702 band just doesn't bother me.


Edited by roguegeek - 2/28/13 at 11:49am
post #1650 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

Not get off topic but how much hair do you guys have? I do a buzz cut and the last time I tried a K702, "I was like what numskull designed this?!" 

Yup. I actually have imprints on the top of my bald head.... It's quite a cool look though :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition