Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 99

post #1471 of 3282

Good post, also because you pointed some new things, or, did it in differ way than some users before.

 

THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

Been listening to the K702.65 a lot over the past couple of weeks -- still on my Yamaha receiver.  The more I listen, the more I like.

 

Personally, I had always admired the bass of the K701.  What it lacked it quantity, it seemed to make up for with quality and dynamics -- very tight and controlled, with crisp attack and decay and a solid punch.  With the K702.65, AKG seems to have managed to up the ante, maintaining the bass quality and dynamics of the K701 but increasing the quantity to a level that I would call just above of neutral.  Definitely adds some fun factor to these headphones without making them sound overly colored in any way.

 

The mids are nice and forward in the mix, open and transparent and grain-free.  The treble is also very nice and clean, with good quantity, but I still think the K701 had a bit more sparkle if memory serves.  I was afraid I'd miss the K701's sparkle, but it turns out that I really don't.

 

If there's one "flaw" for me with these headphones, it would be that I still think they're a bit forward in the upper mids / lower treble region (like the K701, but probably not as prominent).  This can make some rock music sound a bit strident.  It's still listenable with rock music, but it gets a little fatiguing to me after a while.  At that point, it's time to switch to a different genre of music!

 

Comparing the K702.65 to my current reference, the DT880/600, I would say that the K702.65 has somewhat stronger bass with better dynamics.  The K702.65 also has more prominent mids -- I'd say the two headphones straddle the neutral mark in this regard, with the K702.65's mids a little more forward than neutral, and the DT880's a little less than neutral.  In terms of treble, the K702.65 is more prominent in the low treble region, whereas the DT880 is more prominent in the mid to upper treble area.  The best way I can describe it is that the K702.65 is louder in what I would call the "glare" region, and the DT880 is louder in the "sibilance" region.  Both can be a little bit fatiguing in their own regard, but I think which one is more tolerable is entirely up to the listener.  Personally, I'm more sensitive to the "glare" frequencies than the "sibilance" frequencies, so I find the DT880 a little bit easier to listen to.

 

If I were asked to recommend a headphone in the sub-$500 range, the K702.65 and DT880/600 would be my definitive recommendations.  However, neither is perfect.  When someone makes a headphone with the comfort of the HD800, bass of the K702.65, mids and treble of the R10, and spatial characteristics of the T1, let me know... smile.gif

 

I just recently ordered a solid state headphone amp for the K702.65...looking forward to hearing what these headphones can do with proper amplification!

post #1472 of 3282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

Congratulations! what SS amp did you order for the K702? About the DT880, my main problem was the peak in the treble area and the soundstage depth. With the T1 they fix the depth, but the peak stay. I had a chance to compare the K702, to the T1, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595522/akg-k702-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-in-the-studio

 

You can see in the Headroom graph, the Beyer peaks is around 5-6 db's over the K702 in the same FR area. For me this was very noticeable especially with electronic music that have a lot of energy treble, like running hi hats.

 

I ordered a Schiit Asgard 2.  I'm sure there are better options, but probably not for the price.  I had the original Asgard on a couple different occasions in the past, and I liked how it paired with the K701 -- so I figured it would be a pretty safe, low-cost option for the K702.65 as well.  If there was an easy way to take the K702.65 balanced while keeping a single-sided entry, I probably would have gone for the Bryston BHA-1 instead.  I heard that amp with a balanced K701 at CanJam and was very impressed.

 

And I agree regarding the DT880 and T1 -- with these headphones, there's a lot of sssss going on, whereas the K702.65 doesn't have this problem.  I can get used to the extra sssss pretty easily though, so it doesn't bother me too much with the DT880.  I personally really liked the T1's spatial presentation -- the soundstage sounded "spherical" in shape to me, with roughly equal width and depth, and a good size.  Imaging on the T1 was really sharp too.  The DT880 is a bit "flat" or "2D" by comparison.  The K702.65, by comparison, has a wider soundstage than either of the Beyer headphones, and I think it has more depth than the DT880 but less than the T1.

post #1473 of 3282

...from what I could gather there are only 3000 of these which were made by AKG in Austria  (no wonder they label it "numbered limited edition" ) . btw mine has a number 0729 clearly stated.

post #1474 of 3282

Their other K and Q models have the numbers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intec94 View Post

...from what I could gather there are only 3000 of these which were made by AKG in Austria  (no wonder they label it "numbered limited edition" ) . btw mine has a number 0729 clearly stated.

post #1475 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by intec94 View Post

...from what I could gather there are only 3000 of these which were made by AKG in Austria  (no wonder they label it "numbered limited edition" ) . btw mine has a number 0729 clearly stated.

 

Last time I checked all the AKG x70x say "made in Austria"...

post #1476 of 3282

yeah, probably one of the very few brands which don't out source their manufacturing to china / taiwan.

post #1477 of 3282

They do, lower cost models, most are made in China.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intec94 View Post

yeah, probably one of the very few brands which don't out source their manufacturing to china / taiwan.

post #1478 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by intec94 View Post

yeah, probably one of the very few brands which don't out source their manufacturing to china / taiwan.

 

Well... actually, AKG has moved almost all of their manufacturing to China other than the K70X line.

 

Also, almost all established audio companies produce their higher-end products in their home countries:

Beyerdynamic - Germany

Sennheiser - Germany / Ireland

Ultrasone - Germany

Audio-Technica - Japan

post #1479 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

 

I ordered a Schiit Asgard 2.  I'm sure there are better options, but probably not for the price.  I had the original Asgard on a couple different occasions in the past, and I liked how it paired with the K701 -- so I figured it would be a pretty safe, low-cost option for the K702.65 as well.  If there was an easy way to take the K702.65 balanced while keeping a single-sided entry, I probably would have gone for the Bryston BHA-1 instead.  I heard that amp with a balanced K701 at CanJam and was very impressed.

 

And I agree regarding the DT880 and T1 -- with these headphones, there's a lot of sssss going on, whereas the K702.65 doesn't have this problem.  I can get used to the extra sssss pretty easily though, so it doesn't bother me too much with the DT880.  I personally really liked the T1's spatial presentation -- the soundstage sounded "spherical" in shape to me, with roughly equal width and depth, and a good size.  Imaging on the T1 was really sharp too.  The DT880 is a bit "flat" or "2D" by comparison.  The K702.65, by comparison, has a wider soundstage than either of the Beyer headphones, and I think it has more depth than the DT880 but less than the T1.

 

 

I don't know the Asgard 2 but the price is good, and I hope will be a good fit for your both hps. After 250hrs your sound stage will get as the T1 and even bigger, a full burn in K-702 get the spherical sound stage as well. Try to get a new and better cable, this also will improve the sound by 10-20%

post #1480 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

 

Well... actually, AKG has moved almost all of their manufacturing to China other than the K70X line.

 

Also, almost all established audio companies produce their higher-end products in their home countries:

Beyerdynamic - Germany

Sennheiser - Germany / Ireland

Ultrasone - Germany

Audio-Technica - Japan

 

Senn parts are made in China, including the HD-800 parts. Ultrasone are made in Taiwan. 

post #1481 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

I don't know the Asgard 2 but the price is good, and I hope will be a good fit for your both hps.

 

I'm confident the Asgard 2 will be a good fit for the K702.65, but I'm also pretty sure that it won't be very good for the DT880/600.  My experience has been that the DT880/600 sounds kind of lifeless when driven by a solid state amp with a low output impedance.  It sounds much better on OTL tube amps, and that's why I have my Valhalla.

post #1482 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post

 

I'm confident the Asgard 2 will be a good fit for the K702.65, but I'm also pretty sure that it won't be very good for the DT880/600.  My experience has been that the DT880/600 sounds kind of lifeless when driven by a solid state amp with a low output impedance.  It sounds much better on OTL tube amps, and that's why I have my Valhalla.

 

For you peraphs it won't be very good ^^ , not every one is found of OTL tube amps even with Beyer 600 ohms tongue.gif , he had to try to know .

post #1483 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post

I believe that they still have them in stock, AKG I mean, especially in Europe, cos they dont sell that good here as in US, I guess...

 

Well, T5p must be differ kind of sound, arent they? They are closed back and cost a "little" more to:-) I found T1 overpriced for what they did, however they were not bad either.

 

THX

 

I've never heard the T1, but I like the T5p very much... quite different from the K702 though: the Beyer is more resolving to my ears, has a nice linear bass reaching very deep (really nice for electronic music) but sounds not as wide as the K702, which is overall more relaxed and easier to listen to.

 

I like the combination with the Lake People amp... brings out lots of little details, spread out in space so to say. Plus the amp seems to be able to control the bass much better than my other options (Meridian Explorer headphone out, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII): it sounds more flat, reaching deeper with even better resolution than before. I think I can live with this setup for a while (Explorer feeding the Lake People amp via lineout).

post #1484 of 3282

I always loved the AKG 701/2 look, but for that price tag and sound, it's really not worth it for me.
I find the sound rather thin and unpronounced.

post #1485 of 3282
Dp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition