- 6,970 Posts. Joined 12/2010
- Location: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
These headphones will let you know if your source is good or not. I won't repeat much of the pros and cons of this headphone that hasn't already been said. These are really comfortable for...
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 651post #9751 of 217604/7/13 at 12:41pmWhy is it such a ghost town on here today? Hellloooooo calling all cars anyone out there?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9752 of 217604/7/13 at 12:42pmpost #9753 of 217604/7/13 at 1:00pmpost #9754 of 217604/7/13 at 1:10pmpost #9755 of 217604/7/13 at 1:17pmpost #9756 of 217604/7/13 at 1:30pmThread Starterpost #9757 of 217604/7/13 at 1:33pmpost #9758 of 217604/7/13 at 2:03pmI'm feeling tempted to get another USB->SPDIF converter/power supply for my secondary rig. I PM'd someone about a JKenny MK3, but iuno if he'll sell it to me in the US. Otherwise I'm not sure what to go with since I don't feel like getting another Stello/Aqvox combo for a system I don't use as often.
I need to start running again. I've been neglecting to more or less since I messed up my back (which is better now, btw).post #9759 of 217604/7/13 at 2:08pmThread Starter
This morning I sat down with the Float QA after a month (or thereabouts) long hiatus. It sounded *really* good. Maybe the best headphone in the world to which no one is going to listen? There's going to be a set at the NY Audio Show, so maybe some folks will get to listen.
I've been avoiding posting more about them for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I doubt my "qualifications" as stupid as that sounds. Lately I've been speaking with a buddy in the UK who got a pair of the older Floats (on which the new QAs are heavily based). He also got the new QA power supply to replace the horrible vintage one, and it seems to solicit quite an improvement. We've been sharing impressions back and forth, and I'm more confident now as to what I'm hearing. This is a rather tricky headphone to pin down; it's difficult to articulate its rather unique character at times.
Speaking of the NY Audio Show, the preproduction Cavalli LAu will be on display for the first time in public. The headphones that will be plugged into it? The Abyss. Cavalli and JPS will be showcased together, something having to do with the use of JPS wire in the amps now I'm sure.
I *really* want to hear this setup.
Which might happen sooner rather than later. I'll be checking out the preproduction LAu for a while, and I've got some leads on sampling the Abyss.
Going back to my correspondence with JPS for a moment, they pointed me in the direction of The Cable Co. For those not familiar with them, The Cable Co. has tons of cables you can audition for a small fee. They've also set up a headphone lending library. For a 5% non-refundable deposit you can rent headphones for a few weeks. The deposit, while non-refundable, can then be applied to any future purchase at The Cable Co. This system makes sense if you think about it, because it prevents people from renting tons and tons of headphones over and over.
Still, with a headphone like the Abyss that costs 5,500 USD, that deposit turns out to be almost $300. That's why I was a little taken aback by the response I got from the manufacturer. Basically "sure you can audition my headphones, but you'll have to pay a non refundable $300 for the privilege of doing so." It would make more sense to me for them to offer a demo of the Abyss themselves for a full price deposit, but one that is also fully refunded after the demo.
Anyway, going back to the LAu... I'm really getting psyched about this amp. It could very well be the greatest amp Dr. Cavalli has ever designed.
I'm sort of mellowing out on the amp front; still planning on auditioning some other stuff like the Stratus, but for my main audio rack I'm pretty content to have the LAu / LG / LL2. Then the Leviathan for speaker taps.post #9760 of 217604/7/13 at 2:13pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
I'm feeling tempted to get another USB->SPDIF converter/power supply for my secondary rig. I PM'd someone about a JKenny MK3, but iuno if he'll sell it to me in the US. Otherwise I'm not sure what to go with since I don't feel like getting another Stello/Aqvox combo for a system I don't use as often.
This thing has piqued my interest quite a bit:
Also I'm curious about their full-on DAC which has the above built into it more or less:
The Empirical Audio Overdrive SE. It's quite expensive, but it's on my short list of "mega DACs" to consider upgrading to soon-ish. Also on the list: Berkley Alpha Series 2, Meitner Audio MA-1, and Resolution Cantata. I've ruled out the PWDmk2 because it's just too unceartain due to all those updates.post #9761 of 217604/7/13 at 3:18pmpost #9762 of 217604/7/13 at 3:35pmQuote:Those look very cool. Reminds me of the original BSG Cylons. Quite afraid of googling it though, the price might give me a shock.Originally Posted by MuppetFace
Also I'm curious about their full-on DAC which has the above built into it more or less:
The Empirical Audio Overdrive SE. It's quite expensive, but it's on my short list of "mega DACs" to consider upgrading to soon-ish. Also on the list: Berkley Alpha Series 2, Meitner Audio MA-1, and Resolution Cantata. I've ruled out the PWDmk2 because it's just too unceartain due to all those updates.post #9763 of 217604/7/13 at 6:16pmThread Starterpost #9764 of 217604/7/13 at 6:28pmpost #9765 of 217604/7/13 at 6:42pmQuote:
I was a bit suspicious of their OR5 when I was was looking for a new USB/SPDIF transport, I ended up going with Bel Canto's Reflink as it is apparently almost indistinguishable over SPDIF connection, and it costs a lot less, like over $1000 less. Berkley Alpha USB was another option, I really want to try one of those also. Empirical are always upgrading their designs, apparently there are some more upgrades in store, maybe at some point some of the upgrades will become more economical or standard rather than insanely expensive. When it comes to USB/I2S transport OffRamp has few competitors at that level of performance, and apparently that's where the OR5 really has an advantage to justify the price premium.
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster" 4 seconds ago
- › 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 2 minutes ago
- › Portable and shareable. 2 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 3 minutes ago
- › DAC/Amp Recommendations 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 3 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 4 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by snellemin
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)