or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 628  

post #9406 of 21760

I love every new Schiit product not because I want it, but because I want to read the FAQ. Fact.

post #9407 of 21760
I would love to do DIY amps. Unfortunately, my soldering skills are only slightly above a chimpanzee with Parkinson's. Folks that can hand solder surface mount components missed their calling - they should have been neurosurgeons specializing in brain transplants. I want to try doing some P2P amps, but I'm afraid I would bridge across something and cause a blackout on the entire West Coast.... redface.gif
post #9408 of 21760

lol that would entail so much responsibility. I'd hate to be in such a position not to mention the liability behind it all. Kinda like flying a plane or even driving a bus :P.
 

post #9409 of 21760

....double post sorry


Edited by DigitalFreak - 3/31/13 at 4:59pm
post #9410 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

I love every new Schiit product not because I want it, but because I want to read the FAQ. Fact.


Yeah I agree, his FAQ on the cables he sells gave me a good giggle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

lol that would entail so much responsibility. I'd hate to be in such a position not to mention the liability behind it all. Kinda like flying a plane or even driving a bus :P.
 


Speaking as someone who does the drive the bus thing that's a slippery slope. Needless to say most of use (me included) usually cover our butts before we stick our necks out when a situation begins to go bad.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 3/31/13 at 4:59pm
post #9411 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I would love to do DIY amps. Unfortunately, my soldering skills are only slightly above a chimpanzee with Parkinson's. Folks that can hand solder surface mount components missed their calling - they should have been neurosurgeons specializing in brain transplants. I want to try doing some P2P amps, but I'm afraid I would bridge across something and cause a blackout on the entire West Coast.... redface.gif

 

Start with a Cmoy amp. It's small, cheap, and the worst that can happen is shocking yourself with a 9V battery or burning components that are safely stored in an Altoids tin with a relatively high melting point.

 

If you don't need a Cmoy amp, give it to a niece or nephew for their first taste of audiophilia.

 

(Edit: I scavenged some boards from a DVD player I was throwing out and am going to be using them to practice desoldering/soldering on. That's an approximately zero-stakes way to learn the mechanics of soldering, since they're never going to work again anyway.)


Edited by ardgedee - 3/31/13 at 5:02pm
post #9412 of 21760

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Interesting findings Max. So many other people who own the HD650 have commented they really like the Crack paired with the HD650 although I have also run across some posts from people commenting the so called Sennheiser veil sounded the worst with the Crack pairing so you're far from alone with your findings. Personally, I'm guessing the Crack isn't the best choice with the Senneheiser HD650 mid range but I've never heard the pairing so I can't comment on it. By the way, I did some listening on the HD650 with the Asgard 2/Bifrost combo and really didn't hear any veil in the HD650 mids and really liked the pairing with the HD650, HE500 M-100, and LCD 2. I commented on the lack of veil in the mids to the owner and he said in his opinion the HD650 only became veiled with bad amp pairings. He seemed to really like the Schiit pairing of the Asgard 2 and especially seemed to like my buddies Nuforce gear with other headphones he had.


Since I've steered the topic onto the Asgard 2 Jason of Schiit Audio is fast becoming my hero with the off the wall humor he employs. The Asgard writeup is an awesome read that made me grin. For those who can't be bothered to read the whole page the following is what stood out and made me smile when I read it.

 

Very smooth way of telling the trolls to get lost. Delicious is what I thought when I read the above quote lol.

 

I haven't spent a ton of time with the Crack (I did have the S.E.X. for a while though), but I certainly wasn't floored by it like some seem to be.  I didn't have nearly as much of a bad reaction as Maxvla had.  I'm sure there will be significant variations in the performance of the Crack due to different design/parts choices and DIY skill, but I definitely didn't see it as a world beater.  It's a good amp and a decent value if you build it yourself.  If I were going to pay someone to build it though, I'd just have someone build something else entirely.

 

Jason is great.  I certainly agree on their writeups/FAQ's; they're incredibly entertaining.  They're also really nice.  I've actually owned one of the amps that Jason designed when he was at SUMO and got the chance to chat him up about it at CanJam.  He (and the whole Schiit crew) make me really want to continue to purchase their products.  

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

Start with a Cmoy amp. It's small, cheap, and the worst that can happen is shocking yourself with a 9V battery or burning components that are safely stored in an Altoids tin with a relatively high melting point.

 

If you don't need a Cmoy amp, give it to a niece or nephew for their first taste of audiophilia.

 

(Edit: I scavenged some boards from a DVD player I was throwing out and am going to be using them to practice desoldering/soldering on. That's an approximately zero-stakes way to learn the mechanics of soldering, since they're never going to work again anyway.)

 

 

Definitely good suggestions.  I'll also suggest using cables to practice.  There are plenty of DIY cable "recipes" to check out.

post #9413 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I would love to do DIY amps. Unfortunately, my soldering skills are only slightly above a chimpanzee with Parkinson's. Folks that can hand solder surface mount components missed their calling - they should have been neurosurgeons specializing in brain transplants. I want to try doing some P2P amps, but I'm afraid I would bridge across something and cause a blackout on the entire West Coast.... redface.gif

LOL

You just made my day..billybob.

Thanks,I needed a good chuckle today..

 

I found a guy whose work looks excellent..I'm going to ask him to build mine,with speedball

Not using the HD600's,but  will use the HD800's

post #9414 of 21760

It's time! Valar Morghulis!

post #9415 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

It's time! Valar Morghulis!

 

Oh snap!  You're right!  Doctor Who and Game of Thrones two nights in a row.  Happy Easter to me!

post #9416 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

Jason is great.  I certainly agree on their writeups/FAQ's; they're incredibly entertaining.  They're also really nice.  I've actually owned one of the amps that Jason designed when he was at SUMO and got the chance to chat him up about it at CanJam.  He (and the whole Schiit crew) make me really want to continue to purchase their products.  

 

I've never met Jason but I've chatted him up enough times on the Schiit threads. It's rather nice to chat with professionals like him who are approachable and down to earth. Val Kolton of V-MODA is another pretty approachable guy. I think both these guys charisma and the way they interact with head-fiers to improve their products goes a long way in their companies being so successful. In this day and age it's rather nice to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

Oh snap!  You're right!  Doctor Who and Game of Thrones two nights in a row.  Happy Easter to me!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

It's time! Valar Morghulis!

Ho hum, I've never been a Thrones fan, I don't think I've even bothered to watch a full episode yet, but I am a big Dr Who fan from the good old days. Is the new Dr Who anywhere near as good as the classics? The last time I tried giving the new Dr Who a watch I nearly threw my TV out the window. Please tell me the new Dr has some actual good writing behind it again.

post #9417 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 

... (Click to show)

I've never met Jason but I've chatted him up enough times on the Schiit threads. It's rather nice to chat with professionals like him who are approachable and down to earth. Val Kolton of V-MODA is another pretty approachable guy. I think both these guys charisma and the way they interact with head-fiers to improve their products goes a long way in their companies being so successful. In this day and age it's rather nice to see.

 

Ho hum, I've never been a Thrones fan, I don't think I've even bothered to watch a full episode yet, but I am a big Dr Who fan from the good old days. Is the new Dr Who anywhere near as good as the classics? The last time I tried giving the new Dr Who a watch I nearly threw my TV out the window. Please tell me the new Dr has some actual good writing behind it again.

 

I'm more of a fan of the books on which the Game of Thrones show is based, but I geek out about that stuff anyway.  As far as Doctor who is concerned, the writing can be a little hit or miss, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

post #9418 of 21760

So... apparently twinQY had his stomach pumped b/c of coleslaw at Church's. 3rd time. Bam. 

post #9419 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

So... apparently twinQY had his stomach pumped b/c of coleslaw at Church's. 3rd time. Bam. 


.........

............

What the heck are you talking about????

post #9420 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


.........

............

What the heck are you talking about????


He disappeared for a few days and no one could figure out why.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2