or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 626  

post #9376 of 21760

Solar flare problems?

post #9377 of 21760

Whenever I hear solar flare now I think FTL and feel happy / angry.

post #9378 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Whenever I hear solar flare now I think FTL and feel happy / angry.

"DAMN YOU SOLAR FLAREEEEEE!!!!!" when I just won a ship fight then my ship burned down.
post #9379 of 21760
And now for some more awesome music from the East:
post #9380 of 21760
Thread Starter 

Re: Tube amps

 

It's definitely all about implementation. TBH I haven't heard many tube amps under $1000 I liked. Bottlehead and Schiit excepted. Personally I'd stick with transistors (or transformers) at this price bracket. If you don't mind spending more, I'd seriously suggest Eddie Current. His profit margins are actually insanely low (lower than almost any other commercial builder I've ever come across). His tube amps are extremely transparent, moreso than pretty much any solid state amp I've heard to date.

post #9381 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

Not that this is directed at me, but I'll try to answer.  I don't think there's any point at which you can buy a tube amp that outperforms all similarly priced solid state amps in linearity.  

 

To answer the second part of your question, tt's not a headphone amp, but I used to own an Audio Research LS-2 preamp.  Here are some quick specs:

 

± .5dB, 1Hz to 100Hz, -3dB points below 0.1Hz and above 300kHz

Less than .01% at 2V RMS output.(Typically less than .005% in midband)

 

It was current in 1992, but it's incredibly transparent.  It's performance is somewhat related to the tube employed, the 6DJ8 (or 6922) in my case.  The 6922 was not initially an audio tube, but rather was designed for video reproduction and can be flat from 1Hz to >300kHz.  Total bandwidth has occasionally been given in MHz.  While something produced these days like the Asus Xonar Essence One has it beat in the distortion category with numbers like 0.000316% (-110dB), the Audio Research amp still wins the frequency response battle.  The original retails are nowhere near the same, and they're different types of products in the first place, but you could pick up a used LS-2 in the same price range as the Essence one.  Comparing the LS-2 to some other preamps that were around in '92, it sat between the Meridian 601 and the Krell KRC-2 in distortion, frequency responce, and linearity.  Not an outright winner, but the Krell and Meridian were a good bit more expensive in their day.

 

Thanks for the explanation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Re: Tube amps

 

It's definitely all about implementation. TBH I haven't heard many tube amps under $1000 I liked. Bottlehead and Schiit excepted. Personally I'd stick with transistors (or transformers) at this price bracket. If you don't mind spending more, I'd seriously suggest Eddie Current. His profit margins are actually insanely low (lower than almost any other commercial builder I've ever come across). His tube amps are extremely transparent, moreso than pretty much any solid state amp I've heard to date.

 

Thx, I'll look into their amps and specs.

post #9382 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Can you please make an estimate, at which particular point on the $$$$$ graph are we entering the realm where tube amps offer more linearity and less distortion than similarly priced solid state amps?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

James: I doubt that you can. It is all going to depend on the design of an amp and what it is used with.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

Currawong makes a good point. I really feel that (I suppose contrary to a lot of thought here) most of the cheaper tube amps problems come from inferior parts, not so much inferior design. Will a SS amp perform cleaner in most aspects at the lower side of the market? Probably. But if someone is looking low into the market like that, getting a Balancing Act or something of the sort is probably out of the question. With a little modding, I've found most <$200 tube amps (hybrids for the most part) to sound quite nice with some simple cap replacing, and a better quality tube. OTL circuits at this price such as the Earmax clone I haven't heard, so I can't comment there.

 

Others have chimed in, but since you asked me I'll try to answer...

 

The quality of tube amps tend to be much more subject to the quality of their parts, and the parts themselves are not cheap.  The low parts count common among tube amps (relative to solid state) tend to make the inadequacies in any part choices more noticeable. Good output transformers (for non-OTL amps) built to precise tolerances can cost hundreds of dollars apiece.

 

I think I misled by saying "point", implying there's a clear, obvious dollar value above which tubed amps bench very well and below which they don't. That's not true and it's not what I meant. The audio signal chain is not a series of discrete units acting in isolation on raw data. They're reactive devices reacting to other reactive devices. Tube amp designers can meet lower price points if they narrow their design goals -- the Bottlehead Crack, as mentioned, is optimal for the HD 650, and the Elekit TU-882 was tuned using the K240 and K701. Tube rolling can also compensate or optimize a particular build for the system it's a part of. A decent typical $400 solid state amp, though, is expected to be more versatile and less dependent on the specifications of the components attached to it. As the budget goes up (assuming the amp maker applies that budget to the efforts of design and construction and parts complement) the tube amp ought to be less limited in its capabilities.

post #9383 of 21760
So it's a very hard thing to answer when some one ask "what's a good tube amp" for a low budget of around < $300, without some semblance of what s/he is aiming to get out of a tube amp at that price range?
post #9384 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

So it's a very hard thing to answer when some one ask "what's a good tube amp" for a low budget of around < $300, without some semblance of what s/he is aiming to get out of a tube amp at that price range?

 

 

At the risk of non-answering your question, "It depends" is always the only good initial response to a question of what equipment to get. This applies to any audio component and type. Everything is limited in some way, so you want to build a system around your needs. So people who can help you with that would want to know what you like to listen to and what else you have.

 

The advantage of headphone audiophilia, at least, is high-quality components are cheaper and smaller and less dependent on environment than speaker-based audio is. You can start collecting a range of components to swap in and out as you like, which makes you less dependent on trying to build a single optimal set of equipment that does all music perfectly.

post #9385 of 21760
Still no power. The powers been out all night I wonder what went wrong?
post #9386 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

So it's a very hard thing to answer when some one ask "what's a good tube amp" for a low budget of around < $300, without some semblance of what s/he is aiming to get out of a tube amp at that price range?

Learn to solder, build a Bottlehead Crack. Really, they sound beautiful (just don't use it with <40 Ohm cans) and they're very easy to assemble.
post #9387 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Learn to solder, build a Bottlehead Crack. Really, they sound beautiful (just don't use it with <40 Ohm cans) and they're very easy to assemble.

 

Magick, where would you rank the Crack among your tube amps? I'm just trying to get a feel for the value/price, etc.

post #9388 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post


At the risk of non-answering your question, "It depends" is always the only good initial response to a question of what equipment to get. This applies to any audio component and type. Everything is limited in some way, so you want to build a system around your needs. So people who can help you with that would want to know what you like to listen to and what else you have.

The advantage of headphone audiophilia, at least, is high-quality components are cheaper and smaller and less dependent on environment than speaker-based audio is. You can start collecting a range of components to swap in and out as you like, which makes you less dependent on trying to build a single optimal set of equipment that does all music perfectly.
So if I was more specific and asked for a dac amp around 1k to use mostly with iems...I was told the violectric products were good. I might be wrong but are there tube amps that match well with Iems ? Maybe the was7.
post #9389 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post


At the risk of non-answering your question, "It depends" is always the only good initial response to a question of what equipment to get. This applies to any audio component and type. Everything is limited in some way, so you want to build a system around your needs. So people who can help you with that would want to know what you like to listen to and what else you have.

The advantage of headphone audiophilia, at least, is high-quality components are cheaper and smaller and less dependent on environment than speaker-based audio is. You can start collecting a range of components to swap in and out as you like, which makes you less dependent on trying to build a single optimal set of equipment that does all music perfectly.

That's how I understand it in most things back when I was just a lad in audiodom (still feels like it now). Sticking with tube amps for a bit more, when a newcomer to tubes asked that question, is it wrong to assume that he could mean the stereotypical tubey sound? But as we all should know by now, "assume makes an ass out of u and me".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


Learn to solder, build a Bottlehead Crack. Really, they sound beautiful (just don't use it with <40 Ohm cans) and they're very easy to assemble.

Is experience from 10 years back that I learned in school enough? biggrin.gif No, seriously, that's the last time I've soldered things and probably not properly too. I have the similar sentiment with eke regarding tube amps. It's something I'm consistently interested in but not enough to make me want it hard enough to own one.
Edited by jgray91 - 3/31/13 at 7:50am
post #9390 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Magick, where would you rank the Crack among your tube amps? I'm just trying to get a feel for the value/price, etc.

I don't own one, but I borrowed one for ~a week. That's a good question. As I don't own any OTL amps, it was pretty unique. With the right cans, like high-resistance Senns, Beyers, and AKGs, it's a great amp, better than most 2-3x more expensive. With headphones below, say, 150 Ohms, it doesn't really provide the DF needed for fast music, and for those lower than 50, bass can turn into a sloppy mess. Still, for what it is, and its price, there's nothing else out there like it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2