or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 624  

post #9346 of 21760

For those who love Doctor Who, the new episode is coming on live in a few:

 

 

Not sure if legal...Currawong, please let me know if its not. (Click to show)
post #9347 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

Hey, to save myself from reading the ~4k posts since I last was in this thread, I'll just ask: what is everyone listening to at the moment? One of my favorite blogs to dig from has gone belly up, so I'm needing some fresh, funky tunes. Any recommendations? smily_headphones1.gif

You came to the right place. I suppose you missed this so I'll mention it then: the thread (Coq de Combat) had this idea to do this mixtape thing based on a theme. MF gave a theme, and the thread contributed, making this: Diary Mixtape #1: Repetition. The handy youtube playlist is at the end of the post.
post #9348 of 21760

I like this idea! A lot actually :)

 

Also, whoever put Autobahn on here, <3


Edited by mosshorn - 3/30/13 at 11:38am
post #9349 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

For those who love Doctor Who, the new episode is coming on live in a few:

 

 

Not sure if legal...Currawong, please let me know if its not. (Click to show)

I liked it a lot. Quite the twist with the baddie.

post #9350 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

I liked it a lot. Quite the twist with the baddie.

 

I detect our villain for the remainder of the season biggrin.gif

 

I think Clara may be the prettiest companion yet.

post #9351 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

I like this idea! A lot actually smily_headphones1.gif

Also, whoever put Autobahn on here, <3

If I remember correctly, it's james.
post #9352 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

I detect our villain for the remainder of the season biggrin.gif

 

I think Clara may be the prettiest companion yet.

<3 Jenna Louise Coleman

 

I need to wear my Oswin Oswold t-shirt more now Who season has started.

post #9353 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

<3 Jenna Louise Coleman

 

I need to wear my Oswin Oswold t-shirt more now Who season has started.

 

I gasped a little when I realized she was the same girl from Asylum of the Daleks. 

 

I need my wife to either look like her, or be her. I'm cool with either one.

 

 

Asylum%20of%20the%20Daleks%20Oswen%20baking%20soufflee%20Doctor%20Who.jpg

post #9354 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


If I remember correctly, it's james.

So is this still open? I'm a big fan of stoner rock, so I have plenty of repetitive material if I can contribute a track :)

post #9355 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Would you mind to make an estimate of that particular point?

 

It's the price point at which tubed amps can sound better than solid state amps.

post #9356 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

If I remember correctly, it's james.
So is this still open? I'm a big fan of stoner rock, so I have plenty of repetitive material if I can contribute a track smily_headphones1.gif

sure I guess.
post #9357 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

To rethink that a little:

Neutrality is a technical goal. Something engineers should strive for and companies should build for. True straight-wire-with-gain is impossible; even in a circuit design that is theoretically perfect, the impossibility of perfect components compromises it, and many amp designs are actually intended specifically to compensate for parts variance, on the principle that perfection is impossible.

Verisimilitude is the esthetic goal. If the amp fails to immerse me in music that's designed and produced to be immersive, the amp fails, regardless of how well it measures. (The O2 failed for me unequivocally in that regard).

Agreed. I couldn't get into the O2, to me it was too sterile and disengaging. Lifeless is how I'd describe it. Although the Zodiac Gold is just as neutral, it has a vibrancy to it that makes it enjoyable. On the more affordable side, my Matrix Cube is similar (yet softer).
post #9358 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

It's the price point at which tubed amps can sound better than solid state amps.

 

That's what I gathered from your initial post. Actually, I meant an estimate in $$$$$.

post #9359 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

That's what I gathered from your initial post. Actually, I meant an estimate in $$$$$.

 

Sorry, I was teasing but not meaning to be obtuse.

 

It's not possible to declare that when budgeting $X amount, you are finally in the realm where tubes make sense. It's a highly subjective thing, getting back to that matter of verisimilitude -- an amp that performs within your system to your tastes is not necessarily going to work for me and mine. There are also enterprising designers making tube amps that work well on the cheap -- within certain parameters (first example to come to my mind is the Bottlehead Crack/Speedball and its reputation for synergy with the HD 650).

 

Also, there is certainly some appeal in going for the stereotypically "tube-like" lush sound, even if it means sacrificing detail. It's a common waypoint as people explore audio equipment. Some stop there, some end up dissatisfied and move onward or upward.

post #9360 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Sorry, I was teasing but not meaning to be obtuse.

 

It's not possible to declare that when budgeting $X amount, you are finally in the realm where tubes make sense. It's a highly subjective thing, getting back to that matter of verisimilitude -- an amp that performs within your system to your tastes is not necessarily going to work for me and mine. There are also enterprising designers making tube amps that work well on the cheap -- within certain parameters (first example to come to my mind is the Bottlehead Crack/Speedball and its reputation for synergy with the HD 650).

 

Also, there is certainly some appeal in going for the stereotypically "tube-like" lush sound, even if it means sacrificing detail. It's a common waypoint as people explore audio equipment. Some stop there, some end up dissatisfied and move onward or upward.

 

Ah, thanks... but that's not the train of thought I was pursuing. redface.gif

 

Let me explain: Romy posted this...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Tubes are actually more linear than transistors, believe it or not. It's transistors have a tendency toward higher distortion.

 

...to which you replied...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

It's probably better to say that transistors have an advantage in cost/performance up to a particular point on the graph.

 

...so, what I actually wanted to know:

 

Can you please make an estimate, at which particular point on the $$$$$ graph are we entering the realm where tube amps offer more linearity and less distortion than similarly priced solid state amps?

 

(Sorry for not making myself clear in the first place)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2