Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 621  

post #9301 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

yes fatty tunaaaa. I rarely eat any these days as my wife is pregnant so she cant...she prepared some crispy chicken maki to compensate....gooooood.

X2 fatty tuna taste really good.
post #9302 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

Made a new thread (TPHC) here! biggrin.gif

 

That whole thread captures the quiddity of product discussions..

post #9303 of 21761

Just A/B'ed my solid state with the tube amp.

 

My HD600 sounds a lot more alive with the solid state, whereas it sounds a lot sleepier with the Phenix. The main difference b/w the two lies basically in the points of emphasis. The Phenix focuses on the bass and lower mids, where as my ss (it doesn't have a name) gives more to the upper mids and treble. It's a breath of fresh air going from the tubes to the ss. I'll wait a few more days to see which flavor I like better.

post #9304 of 21761
Thread Starter 

I'd just like to point out that not all tube amps sound "sleepy" or "slow." In fact, that's not a function of the tubes but the amp design itself. It's a very common myth that tubes make everything sound warm and mushy. That's not true. In fact, there are tube amps that sound snappier and more detailed than a lot of solid state amps. So in short: you're not hearing the tubes so much as the amp.

 

You probably know this eke, but I'm just posting it for anyone lurking who might see your impressions and think "yup that's tubes." These misconceptions have only gotten worse over the years because of the huge influx of cheap Chinese tube amps. The Chinese specifically love the "warm / euphony" type signature for their cheaper gear. Also you have people like NwAv's minions who scream bloody murder about tubes, claiming they add all this distortion.

 

Never mind transistor mist.

post #9305 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I'd just like to point out that not all tube amps sound "sleepy" or "slow." In fact, that's not a function of the tubes but the amp design itself. It's a very common myth that tubes make everything sound warm and mushy. That's not true. In fact, there are tube amps that sound snappier and more detailed than a lot of solid state amps. So in short: you're not hearing the tubes so much as the amp.

 

You probably know this eke, but I'm just posting it for anyone lurking who might see your impressions and think "yup that's tubes." These misconceptions have only gotten worse over the years because of the huge influx of cheap Chinese tube amps. The Chinese specifically love the "warm / euphony" type signature for their cheaper gear. Also you have people like NwAv's minions who scream bloody murder about tubes, claiming they add all this distortion.

 

Never mind transistor mist.

 

Thanks for pointing that out!

 

I'm curious though about the effects of tubes. I always thought tube amps in general had that kind of sound, and tube rolling could heighten or lessen the effect.

 

What purpose does the tube serve in the circuit?

post #9306 of 21761

thanks Muppet :) new fact learned that tubes can be quicker than ss amps.

 

I just assumed that tubes in general were warm. 

post #9307 of 21761

Oh man I'm exhausted today. It was a long day at work, I didn't sleep well last night and my feet are throbbing. I need to escape with my music.


Hey MF, in your opinion whats a good tube amp that would tame the upper end glare of the Q701? I really need to smooth that can out. I had a chance at a Bottlehead Crack a few weeks ago but didn't jump at it thinking I wouldn't need it for my Q can. I was thinking the Continental ver 3 but I'm not so sure. Woo makes some nice stuff but their amps all seem pretty pricey.


Excuse me, I'm going to go soak my dogs in some hot water while I give the 1plus2 a listen on my V player. I only have a couple of weeks with these IEM's and I don't want to waste any time.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 3/29/13 at 8:03pm
post #9308 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

thanks Muppet smily_headphones1.gif new fact learned that tubes can be quicker than ss amps.


I just assumed that tubes in general were warm. 
I actually thought the continental v3 was on the bright side and had less bass.emphasis than the dx100 internal amp. Actually too much so paired with the Miracles.
post #9309 of 21761
There is a weekend sale at Musica Acoustics on the FAD...so tempted by the PFIX
post #9310 of 21761

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear?  smile.gif

post #9311 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear?  smile.gif


I name my amps and take pictures of my gear with a smiley squeeze ball and mini figurines. I think the word cute should be my personalized handle

post #9312 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear?  smile.gif
I love it. biggrin.gif
post #9313 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear?  smile.gif


I name my amps and take pictures of my gear with a smiley squeeze ball and mini figurines. I think the word cute should be my personalized handle

 

So you wouldn't mind a custom title like "Too freakin' cute for my own good!  smile.gif" added to your profile?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's cute that we use "sleepy" to describe gear?  smile.gif

 

I love it. biggrin.gif

 

Turning it off could be considered nappy time.  wink.gif

post #9314 of 21761
Let's face it - misuse of adjectives is a common trait of audiophilia. It's hard to think of an adjective that has NOT been used to describe gear.
post #9315 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I actually thought the continental v3 was on the bright side and had less bass.emphasis than the dx100 internal amp. Actually too much so paired with the Miracles.

>:0 sweet mama.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2