or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 611  

post #9151 of 21760
You guys are so serious... and rich (Everyone getting LL2s and SR-009s). tongue.gif Looking at vinyl players for my birthday (In October) I'mm thinking of using my money and birthday money to get a Rega RP1 and a cheap phono until I can afford better... Also, I want to buy a glass platter, not for the sound benefit, as they're isn't one in the reviews I've read, but because that blue marbled glass looks SLICK! I'd probably get it in a titanium finish, but will see the 3 one day (We have a retailer ~60 miles from us).
post #9152 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post
........ (Click to show)

 

 

I try to avoide game reviews altogether. They spoil it for me by making me expect things going into a game. I just look at the overall numerical score to see if they think it's worth playing.

 

 


 

 

 

 

In other news, I really like this whole tube thing...

 

 

I take it that your mini → RCA cable arrived, right?  For reference, the amp is a Sense Phenix G3 which is essentially a clone of the EarMax amps that were prevalent a while back.  I actually bought it for the tubes that were listed with it (I got about 10 6DJ8's or 6922's including several British Amperex and Mullards as well as some nice tube dampers).  How do you like it? 

post #9153 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

I take it that your mini → RCA cable arrived, right?  For reference, the amp is a Sense Phenix G3 which is essentially a clone of the EarMax amps that were prevalent a while back.  I actually bought it for the tubes that were listed with it (I got about 10 6DJ8's or 6922's including several British Amperex and Mullards as well as some nice tube dampers).  How do you like it? 

 

Funny, I was in the process of sending you a PM with my impressions. I guess I'll just cut and paste them here.

 

I ended up canceling the Amazon order for the cable, and got a cheapo $1.50 one from my local corner store.

 

You mentioned that it wasn't the best amp in the world, but you didn't mention that it's still pretty awesome.

 

It sounds exactly how I read the stereotypical tube amp described. It's really smooth, has no glare whatsoever, and takes the edge off my sibilant recordings. It also boosts the low end of my HD600, making it a more euphoric sound. I don't really notice a loss of detail either.

 

The tube  glow is preeetty nice to look at in a dark room too.

post #9154 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Funny, I was in the process of sending you a PM with my impressions. I guess I'll just cut and paste them here.

I ended up canceling the Amazon order for the cable, and got a cheapo $1.50 one from my local corner store.

You mentioned that it wasn't the best amp in the world, but you didn't mention that it's still pretty awesome.

It sounds exactly how I read the stereotypical tube amp described. It's really smooth, has no glare whatsoever, and takes the edge off my sibilant recordings. It also boosts the low end of my HD600, making it a more euphoric sound. I don't really notice a loss of detail either.

The tube  glow is preeetty nice to look at in a dark room too.

Since you're new to tube amps, I'll assume you're new to tubes in general. The tubes I sent with it are a significant step up from the tubes it would normally have. If they were unused, they'd be worth a decent amount more than the brand new price of the amp (not that price and performance is necessarily correlative). Anyway, that was my only headphone amp for a couple years.
post #9155 of 21760

I just came in from a mini meet. More pics and a video to follow soon.

 

post #9156 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

I just came in from a mini meet. More pics and a video to follow soon.

 

 

 

 

popcorn.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post


Since you're new to tube amps, I'll assume you're new to tubes in general. The tubes I sent with it are a significant step up from the tubes it would normally have. If they were unused, they'd be worth a decent amount more than the brand new price of the amp (not that price and performance is necessarily correlative). Anyway, that was my only headphone amp for a couple years.

 

Wow. That doesn't seem good for the wallet.

post #9157 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Thanks for your replies, but hmm, I think you've got me even more confused and curious now. Thing is, while I'm the first to agree that the IE800's bass is boosted, it's main emphasis is actually on sub bass (<60 Hz).

 

So how can the 1Plus2 have less bass overall and at the same time pump out more sub bass? Maybe I'll have to wait until someone measures these things, to get to the bottom of what seems like a paradox to me. confused.gif


James the 1Plus2 has the best quality bass I've heard in any IEM period. The EX1000 was number 2 for me in that regards. Although I'm really digging the Flat 4 as well. Just how well controlled it is yet it goes so deep and has a lot of impact still. It's just sick.

post #9158 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

 

popcorn.gif

 

 

Wow. That doesn't seem good for the wallet.

 

Nah, the whole thing cost me like $150 shipped from Hawaii to Texas.

post #9159 of 21760

Wallets are only clearing houses for hifi purchases....   words to live by......

post #9160 of 21760

It took forever but the video has finally been uploaded. Say hi to my fellow Winnipeg audio geeks

 

 

Description:

Say hello to fellow head-fier's Armaegis (Winnipeg), GirlsGeneration (Vancouver), and bearNFN (Minnesota). In Wpg Armaegis is always the guy who hosts our head-fi meets. Because of his willingness to host and his pure joy and commitment for the hobby he's become our fearless leader and resident ortho mod specialist. This mini meet was the second of two scheduled mini meets which were put together in an attempt to accommodate all our small circle of Wpg regulars as well as our two out of town head-fier guests. A fun time was had by all and many thanks goes out to GirlsGeneration for dropping work commitments at the last minute and driving in from Brandon and to bearNFN for driving in from the state of Minnesota to schmooze it up with us canucks.

Although only a mini meet this meet had to easily be our most productive meet up gear wise and the display table was nearly overflowed by the wide assortment of gear. Headphone wise we had the AKG Q701, HifiMan HE-6, HifiMan HE-500, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD800, and a vintage early 80's Stax as well as one of Armaegis's transplanted ortho experiments. In the amping department Schiit Audio was well represented with the Asgard 2, Magni, and Mjolnir. Besides Schiit Audio we also had amps from NuForce Staxx and even a speaker tube amp from Musical Paradise. In the DAC ranks again we had Schiit Audio hogging the table with the Modi Bifrost and Gungnir followed by products from Nuforce. In the mobile gear arena we had various products from Cypher Labs, ALO Audio, Leckerton Audio, Tralucent Audio, iBasso, and Triad Audio. Needless to say it was a busy time trying to sample everything that was on the display table.

Many thanks and much respect goes out to Armaegis for investing the time and patience involved in hosting a meet. Same well wishes goes out to GirlsGenneration and bearNFN for going out of their way to make it to the meet and make it such a winner.

 


Quote:lee730
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Thanks for your replies, but hmm, I think you've got me even more confused and curious now. Thing is, while I'm the first to agree that the IE800's bass is boosted, it's main emphasis is actually on sub bass (<60 Hz).

 

So how can the 1Plus2 have less bass overall and at the same time pump out more sub bass? Maybe I'll have to wait until someone measures these things, to get to the bottom of what seems like a paradox to me. confused.gif


James the 1Plus2 has the best quality bass I've heard in any IEM period. The EX1000 was number 2 for me in that regards. Although I'm really digging the Flat 4 as well. Just how well controlled it is yet it goes so deep and has a lot of impact still. It's just sick.

 

I've only had the 1plus2 review sample for 3 or 4 hours but I can affirm what lee730 and MuppetFace are saying is true. It's actually quite wild how much sub bass these things can pump out yet the bass disappears when the song doesn't demand it. The only points of contention sonically I have with them so far is the highs can fatigue your ears out over a long listening session. I've had the tour sample on so far for maybe 90 minutes and my ears were starting to feel a little fatigued.

post #9161 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


I've only had the 1plus2 review sample for 3 or 4 hours but I can affirm what lee730 and MuppetFace are saying is true. It's actually quite wild how much sub bass these things can pump out yet the bass disappears when the song doesn't demand it. The only points of contention sonically I have with them so far is the highs can fatigue your ears out over a long listening session. I've had the tour sample on so far for maybe 90 minutes and my ears were starting to feel a little fatigued.

 

What tips are you using on them? The orthofons? I'm wondering if those tips emphasis treble peaks. I've been using large V-moda bass tips with great success. Try different tips out and see if that fixes it :). But for reference on my 3rd ANV I generally listen around volume 9 at most. Sometimes a little higher if the track is very soft. Listening much higher than that though and I'd become fatigued quite easily as well (too loud for me).


Edited by lee730 - 3/27/13 at 8:10pm
post #9162 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

It happens.  smile.gif  Still have my Bellatone Audio gift cert that I won at the L.A. meet.  I can't even consider using it because the items are priced way beyond my budget.

Aren't the amps $15k? Too much for a poor man like me. With that money I'd buy myself a violin. Or a TOTL rig. Orpheus probably. 

 

 

I feel like I'm missing a quote...

 

Ah yes, Lee's quote.

 

They're both black? :p I had to go to your page to find out it was a cat. 

post #9163 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

What tips are you using on them? The orthofons? I'm wondering if those tips emphasis treble peaks. I've been using large V-moda bass tips with great success. Try different tips out and see if that fixes it :). But for reference on my 3rd ANV I generally listen around volume 9 at most. Sometimes a little higher if the track is very soft. Listening much higher than that though and I'd become fatigued quite easily as well (too loud for me).


The Ortofon tips definitely emphasize peaks. I'll be doing a little tip rolling with these I think. Note to any potential buyers DON'T use tri flanges on these unless you're a hardcore bass head.

post #9164 of 21760

So I've spent a few hours with this fancy tube contraption.

 

It's really good. Mind, I'm speaking as a total tube noob, but I really like what it's doing to the sound. By taking the edge off the music, it's almost removed the borders from my headphones. It now sounds like the performance is inside and around my head. Vocals on the HD600 were already magical, but the amp adds this seductive, sultry, sensuality to some songs that make me go "wow." Acoustic guitar is also pretty beast.

 

It seems to me like a fuller, lusher, bassier FAD Piano Forte, but more tactile.

post #9165 of 21760

Right now Im listening to a 5 dollar speaker connected to my cheap portable amp........Sounds quite nice............... A bit source dependent though confused_face_2.gif

 

Wait does that mean I have to hand in my head fier badge?  


Edited by veyrongatti - 3/27/13 at 10:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2