or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 606  

post #9076 of 21760

You guys know that the SCOTUS heard arguments about gay marriage today. Here are the transcripts: http://www.npr.org/2013/03/26/175351429/audio-supreme-court-arguments-on-california-gay-marriage-ban

 

Who knew the Justices had such a sense of humor?

 

Edited for grammar...


Edited by eke2k6 - 3/26/13 at 4:56pm
post #9077 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuroth View Post

 

Happened to me last year, sort of.  Bank stopped my card, called me, and had already sent me a new one, iirc.  Was pretty painless on my side.

 

Still not quite sure where the leak was, though.

 

(Not quite true, but my prime suspect was a respectable establishment.)


Not uncommon. Had a restaurant add a few meals on a card once. Foolish really, not many people eat 5 meals at the same place on the same day. Also had a quite respectable hotel ring through my card AFTER the company I was traveling with had paid the bill.

post #9078 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post


Yeah, I think the black carbon fiber faceplates would look best with the pink shells. Turquoise is nice too! Goes well with pink. Our shells would look awesome side-by-side.

 

I think the treble balance is best with the Complys personally, but on the KAEDE it's not as big of a deal as with the SUI because the treble is better controlled anyway. On the SUI it's too glaring for me with most silicon tips I've tried.

 

As an aside, someone asked about the bass of the Flat4 versus the IE800. For me the IE800 is more problematic in the lower region for some reason. The Flat4 is definitely a bass behemoth, but something about the overall balance makes me go for the EQ less than with the IE800. Really it's a shame Sennheiser had to WUB WUB WUB out their flagship earphone. The IE800's midrange is just exquisite, so why overshadow that with all the bloat? If they could release a more linear version I think it would be a monster of an IEM.

 

 

 

 

Of course not.

 

Plus there's some kind of psychological thing that makes it to where I either have to go all out or just buy the normal version. I wanted the extras, but buying the "next-to-the-ultimate" edition weirded me out too much.

 

I wasn't able to get a seal at all with the large comply tips :(.... I'm using the large UE silcone tips and it seems to sound the best to me. For the most part the treble is a non issue and it has settled down with burn in. On other tips however I can see it being a problem. Not entirely sure if I'd like having less treble presence than I have now on the UE tips. It just seems very well balanced to my ears :).

 

My 1Plus2 shells are blue and red. Wanted to keep the same design my original pair had ;). Looks like Cop IEMs lol :P.

 

@DigitalFreak did you get your demo pair in yet or is that tomorrow?


Edited by lee730 - 3/26/13 at 6:19pm
post #9079 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuroth View Post

 

Happened to me last year, sort of.  Bank stopped my card, called me, and had already sent me a new one, iirc.  Was pretty painless on my side.

 

Still not quite sure where the leak was, though.

 

(Not quite true, but my prime suspect was a respectable establishment.)

 

Contacted them, they did just that... cancelled the current card and will send me another one... 

I will not even look for the store I last used this card (it is a backup card, I hardly use it...)

 

Still a bit scary that someone can use your credit card for their purchases... now I have to check my credit score soon... (just in case...)

post #9080 of 21760

Taken From The Audio Journal Of A DigitalFreak

Prenote: This entry is dedicated to our thread matriarch MuppetFace and those who I like to think of as the high rollers of the group, Maxvila, james444, tomscy2000, Magick Man, and driver 8.

Due to my sometimes salty language this entry has been edited in an attempt to make this post PG-13 material. Don't worry, nothings been really changed except for my overly salty superlatives.

Sound Byte: The Q Can Dilemma

 

 



For the last few days between me putting my Heir 4A customs through it's paces and fretting over my $%#@ing ALO MKIII amp being delivered with no control knobs I've found small bits and pieces of time to further investigate my new AKG Q701 cans. Put politely, my early findings have been quite mixed with this new can. On one side of the coin I want to shake the hands of the eggheads who created this can due to what it can do right it completely kicks ass at. On the other side of the coin I also sometimes want to grab these things and crown the idiots who saddled me with a can that for a lot of my music has way to much glare in it's upper mid and high frequencies and a overall tonality that sometimes reminds me of the death grunt of a %$#&ing dying moose stuck in the middle of the arctic tundra. These 2 problems especially makes this headphone very very source picky and I'm finding myself clicking through 10 songs just to find a song that works well enough to let these cans shine at what they do best. If that wasn't bad enough I'm finding it's not the greatest with most of my gear and if my ALO RX MKIII-B hadn't arrived I'd be SOL. I've tried this can with my UHA-6S MKII with op amp 209 installed only to get mixed results. Even though I haven't tried op amp rolling my UHA-6S MKII with the Q can in the back of my mind I really don't think it would make much of a difference. I will of coarse still try it at a later date. Who knows maybe there's a surprise waiting for me somewhere if I go with the 8610 op amp. My other amps such as my UHA-4 and my ALO MKII just don't mesh with this can. They seem to have enough grunt to drive it but even so most of the music sounds like utter %$#@.


As mentioned above the ALO RX MKIII-B paired with a balanced connector to my CLAS-db has been this cans saving grace. It's not so much the extra power the MKIII is able to deliver it's more a combination of the amps bass boost and the cleaner sound from going with a balanced rig connection. When the MKIII is in balanced mode with the CLAS-db drum impact hits far harder and sounds deeper while cymbal crashes become drastically cleaned up which causes the perception of a better sense of air causing the already fast PRAT of the Q701 to sound even faster all the while the sound stage sounds even bigger. The added cleaner sounding cymbal crashes (the highs in general sound cleaner but keep in mind the overall sig seems to sound cleaner too) is what helps take a little of that overly dominate glare away from the upper mids and highs. Add in the bass boost which when thrown on full helps to further distract the listeners ears away from the top end glare by making the can sound a step closer to sounding more balanced. Maybe it's placebo but the so called MKIII bass boost not only slightly accentuates the bass just enough to put it exactly where I like it but it also seems to add a very small hint of warmth to the overall sound signature which helps a lot in fixing that incredibly weird overly fake sounding tonality. Even though the MKIII seems to help the Q701 quite a lot in making it a more complete can I'm still finding it can sometimes be quite picky as far as musical source is concerned.


Although it may sound like I'm having a hate fest on the Q701 the crazy ass truth is this headphone I foresee being in my collection for a very long time to come because all it's shortcomings aside I actually like it a lot. Even though it's alien and tonally weird like sound may not mesh well with my other gear what it can do right completely blows me away. The speed on this can is blistering fast completely leaving my Grado's and my sold off Beyerdynamic DT1350's behind in the dust. Add in pinpoint instrument placement, add in an expansive sound stage, add in mids packed with oodles of detail, add in a lower mid section that's completely clean of any bass bleed, add in a nice clean and slightly warm bass (when amped by MKIII with it's bass boost on full) and I can't help myself and like this can for doing what it can do so incredibly well.


Whether I like it or not I know I'm heading towards pairing it with a tube amp to try and find a happy medium I can live with.  This can may not need a nuclear power plant behind it but it does need a good quality very clean sounding chain behind it or it will sound like total #@$&. Before the Q can came into my possession I thought I was finally done with my mini amp collecting. Now I'm finding myself wondering if maybe forgetting about solid state would be a better avenue for me and maybe looking into a nice Schiit tube amp along with the mini ALO tube amp the Continental V3. How can a can which does some things so catastrophically bad also do so many other things so incredibly well? Talk about a completely weird headphone. Like it or not I'm so headed towards a future purchase of a capable tube amp. Q701, you are such a complete freak.

 

FIN


Edited by DigitalFreak - 3/26/13 at 10:33pm
post #9081 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post


In-person sales of customs can be cheaper because customers get to try before they buy, which cuts back a huge amount on the work involved in presales. Having a large chunk of orders placed means your staff can work at full capacity for while, which helps bring down operating expenses too, so you can give your customers some discounts without hurting the bottom line. It works out.

Other equipment I've seen discounted at shows tend to be the demo units that the manufacturer/store doesn't want to ship back to their facility, since they can't sell it as a new item any more. I've never been to RMAF, so I couldn't tell you what's going on there and why. But in general, anything that brings people to your table/booth/room and makes sales is a good thing.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

It's not consistent for non-CIEM products.  For example, at the 2012 L.A. Meet, Mr. Speakers was giving about 20% off Mad Dogs.  But at the most recent S.F. Meet (Changfest), he wasn't. 

 

As for CIEMs, I didn't check on UE at either meet because sound dialy machine thing + free audiolgist + probable discount = trouble for the wallet.

 

This, Is. Amazing. 

post #9082 of 21760

Man the thread is as dead as the grave tonight. Seems like half of the net went MIA so they could play Bioshock.

post #9083 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Man the thread is as dead as the grave tonight. Seems like half of the net went MIA so they could play Bioshock.

what game? eek.gif

post #9084 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Man the thread is as dead as the grave tonight. Seems like half of the net went MIA so they could play Bioshock.

 

Nope:

 

 

 


Edited by eke2k6 - 3/26/13 at 8:30pm
post #9085 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

As mentioned above the ALO RX MKIII-B paired with a balanced connector to my CLAS-db has been this cans saving grace. It's not so much the extra power the MKIII is able to deliver it's more a combination of the amps bass boost and the cleaner sound from going with a balanced rig connection. When the MKIII is in balanced mode with the CLAS-db drum impact hits far harder and sounds deeper while cymbal crashes become drastically cleaned up which causes the perception of a better sense of air causing the already fast PRAT of the Q701 to sound even faster all the while the sound stage sounds even bigger. The added cleaner sounding cymbal crashes (the highs in general sound cleaner but keep in mind the overall sig seems to sound cleaner too) is what helps take a little of that overly dominate glare away from the upper mids and highs. Needless to say I'm very interested to see what my results will be once I receive a SE to balanced adapter. I'm hoping using this adapter on the Q can will take it a half step further and make it a smidgen more acceptable to my ears. Add in the bass boost which when thrown on full helps to further distract the listeners ears away from the top end glare by making the can sound a step closer to sounding more balanced. Maybe it's placebo but the so called MKIII bass boost not only slightly accentuates the bass just enough to put it exactly where I like it but it also seems to add a very small hint of warmth to the overall sound signature which helps a lot in fixing that incredibly weird overly fake sounding tonality. Even though the MKIII seems to help the Q701 quite a lot in making it a more complete can I'm still finding it can sometimes be quite picky as far as musical source is concerned.

 

 

Have you checked with ALO to make sure it's okay to use the balanced output with a balanced-to-SE adapter?  In many cases using a common ground out of a balanced output will fry your amp.  Just a thought in case you hadn't checked.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Whether I like it or not I know I'm heading towards pairing it with a tube amp to try and find a happy medium I can live with.  This can may not need a nuclear power plant behind it but it does need a good quality very clean sounding chain behind it or it will sound like total #@$&. Before the Q can came into my possession I thought I was finally done with my mini amp collecting. Now I'm finding myself wondering if maybe forgetting about solid state would be a better avenue for me and maybe looking into a nice Schiit tube amp along with the mini ALO tube amp the Continental V3. How can a can which does some things so catastrophically bad also do so many other things so incredibly well? Talk about a completely weird headphone. Like it or not I'm so headed towards a future purchase of a capable tube amp. Q701, you are such a complete freak.

 

FIN

 

For a couple of years, my headphone "collection" consisted of a Q701 with a cheap OTL tube amp (currently in the possession of eke2K6).  It wasn't really comparable to most of my setups now, but it was rather enjoyable.  I never got any of the glare or awkward mids commonly associated with them.  It probably wasn't the best match for the Q701, but I'm sure there's a tube amp (and SS too) that would make for a pleasing match.  You could also do a dual entry mod and go fully balanced; I was incredibly impressed by the balanced K701 I heard out of the Bryston BHA-1 when I listened back to back with a sinle-ended LCD-2.

post #9086 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Man the thread is as dead as the grave tonight. Seems like half of the net went MIA so they could play Bioshock.

 

It could be Bioshock, but then again, I might wake up tomorrow and again see 50+ unread posts from ~7 hours of ignoring the thread...

post #9087 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Needless to say I'm very interested to see what my results will be once I receive a SE to balanced adapter. I'm hoping using this adapter on the Q can will take it a half step further and make it a smidgen more acceptable to my ears.

 

What are you adapting to what?

 

Single ended amp output -> adaptor -> balanced headphones == OK!

Balanced amp output -> adaptor -> single-ended headphones == ASDF WTF BBQ NO!

 

You never, ever, ever want to bridge the channels on a balanced amp. That's why it's got a special connector on it.

post #9088 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

What are you adapting to what?

 

Single ended amp output -> adaptor -> balanced headphones == OK!

Balanced amp output -> adaptor -> single-ended headphones == ASDFOMG WTF BBQ NO!

 

You never, ever, ever want to bridge the channels on a balanced amp. That's why it's got a special connector on it.

lol FTFY

 

i thought you needed a balanced signal for it to be even worth it for the single -> balanced

But I think the latter is ok. 

post #9089 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

What are you adapting to what?

 

Single ended amp output -> adaptor -> balanced headphones == OK!

Balanced amp output -> adaptor -> single-ended headphones == ASDF WTF BBQ NO!

 

You never, ever, ever want to bridge the channels on a balanced amp. That's why it's got a special connector on it.


Gotcha, forget the adapter then.

post #9090 of 21760

Tomorrow I'll email LFF and let him know the adapter is a bad idea on my part

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2