Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 596  

post #8926 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

lol but you know what I mean. BAs are really fast almost unnaturally so in comparison to dynamic IEMs. Although as you said it also depends on how they are implemented (some BAs like the 8A and 334 aren't the fastest of the lot). The Flat 4 is super fast for a dynamic and in that its a bit hard to believe it's a dynamic IEM.... Not saying I think the prat is a bad thing either. I really do enjoy that aspect of BAs as well. Just depends on the situation :P.

 

I actually think the SM3 and the XBA-40 are the most natural sounding BA IEM's I've ever heard. It's probably due to the fact that they are also much darker than most. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

The whole issue is generally a problem of language / culture gap. Once you somehow speak their language and understand that yelling is a part of communication and not a sign of anger, you do much better.

 

It's amusing being a Chinese person in China who can't speak Chinese. (or at least in Shanghai). Everyone was just bemused.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Hey guys, got some good news

 

This weekend was actually the worst of the bunch. Saturday was more or less feverish sleep/awake while having that cough that hurt and those blisters and all that. Yesterday wasn't a lot better, but it was better and today I went to the doctors: he basically said that he could see several viral infections in my body at the same time, and while it's bad luck, there isn't much else to do except to wait it out. So, it's just a matter of waiting it out. Also, it means that it isn't streptococcus or some other bacterial infection, which would've been a bit harder to get rid of. Oh well.

 

Arrgh get better soon!

 

Also I hope your body does not become a natural incubator for some bioweapon level super virus.

post #8927 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post  Btw Tom, do you know Luisa Sobral? Anyone who's into Stacey Kent and Melody Gardot should give her a try imo. Cute website too.

 

Wow, she sounds like a perfect hybrid between the two. Yes, cute website indeed. Looks like she also has a music video that features Danbo. Or maybe just something that resembles Danbo. Not sure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuroth View Post  Portable DAC/AMP.  ibasso d4.

 

Hibino Intersound (Japanese iBasso) released a Japan-only D55. Looks like a sweet little machine. http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11495890196.html


 

What do you guys think of this little DAC? Fully balanced, 24/192 Asynchronous over USB, dual WM8741, very buzzword-compliant, but who knows how it performs. The RMAA results look nice, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Dual-WM8741-Asynchronous-24BIT-192K-USB-DAC-2013-Version-Black-Face-/300873550608?pt=US_CD_Players_Recorders&hash=item460d760b10

post #8928 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

It's amusing being a Chinese person in China who can't speak Chinese. (or at least in Shanghai). Everyone was just bemused.

 

I know that look.  I get that sometimes when I use inappropriately basic wording.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

What do you guys think of this little DAC? Fully balanced, 24/192 Asynchronous over USB, dual WM8741, very buzzword-compliant, but who knows how it performs. The RMAA results look nice, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Dual-WM8741-Asynchronous-24BIT-192K-USB-DAC-2013-Version-Black-Face-/300873550608?pt=US_CD_Players_Recorders&hash=item460d760b10

 

First I've seen of it, but going with a CMedia chip was a pretty interesting choice.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

very buzzword-compliant

 

LOL  biggrin.gif

post #8929 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


Hey Dave!

I hate to be the sole voice in the wilderness crying out the same thing over and over, but I think the Vsonic GR07 would really suit you. Of all the iems that I've tried, I feel like it does the least amount of things wrong,while doing so many things right. There are technically better and more exciting iems out there, but the gr07 is a solid, do no wrong kind of earphone. I wrote a review of it (in my sig) comparing it to other top tier dynamics to give a sort of reference.

FWIW, the last triple dynamic I heard (fxz-100) relatively sucked. The review is also in my sig.

 

I'm really torn between GR07 and GR01 for my next purchase.  I think the GR01 are $169Cdn shipped atm.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Hibino Intersound (Japanese iBasso) released a Japan-only D55. Looks like a sweet little machine. http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11495890196.html

Hmm no USB/Battery switch on the back.  That seems like a bad thing, compared with the D4.  I wonder why.

post #8930 of 21761
When meeting with people from China in corporate business situations, I've had some interesting experiences. I'm going to generalize, and I'm really not trying to be offensive in any way: The Chinese would typically agree with whatever you said - regardless of whether they *actually* agreed. I needed to ask very specific questions - I culdn't just say "OK?" - because the answer would be "OK." I had to learn to ask them to explain in detail what actions they were going to perform - make it more open-ended so that they could not just agree - they had to explain. They also wouldn't give bad news. Unless I specifically asked a direct question about the status of something, they would not tell me it was late or having problems. Cross-cultural stuff like this is fascinating - maddening to the parties involved - but fascinating. Ignoring it and trying to be politically correct will cause far more issues than if both parties recognize that they do not respond the same way in these situations - and therefore they both need to try to bridge the gaps.
post #8931 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

It's amusing being a Chinese person in China who can't speak Chinese. (or at least in Shanghai). Everyone was just bemused.

Being half Asian with a distinctly mixed look, one thing I took note about was how people approached me. Sometimes, people spoke Chinese to me flat out. Sometimes, they approached me like an American. Most times, I was simply ignored. Unsure if I was American or Chinese, people didn't seem to be able to compartmentalize me and therefore didn't know how to act around me. In a culture that seems to have a binary dichotomy in the way they act - foreigner VS locals - my mixed look really seemed to throw them off.
post #8932 of 21761

My partner and I have a running joke that everywhere we travel, a stranger will approach me for directions to somewhere.

 

It happened in Seoul as well, so that streak is unbroken.

post #8933 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

I haven't had time to read this therad, but if you haven't got an idea this month, I suggest an April a_recording, who made a couple of good videos for his review that is on the front page, or August if you already have decided. smile.gif

Well, well, well, look who's famous now. wink.gif
post #8934 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post


It's amusing being a Chinese person in China who can't speak Chinese. (or at least in Shanghai). Everyone was just bemused
Welcome to my wife's life. I more or less white and she is Chinese Cambodian and my mandarin is better than hers. People either think we are kidding or that she is stupid...
post #8935 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

If you want to go the multiple driver route, you may want to also consider hybrids: they tend to use a dynamic driver for the bass and BAs for mids and highs. So in theory you get the strengths of both worlds, provided it's implemented correctly. I tend to be of the mind that the more ingredients you have, the more chances you have to screwing up something.

 

Don't I know that's true.  You should have seen when I tried adding saffron to random recipes.  Scratch that.  No one should ever have seen that; it resulted in some truly horrid food.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

I think it's more to it than just the bass although bass is generally a soar point for BA in general. The timbre is also another contributor as well as the speed of the IEMs themselves (prat).

 

It's definitely more than the bass.  In fact if I had to pick one bass presentation over the other, I'd probably take my 4R back over the IE80.  I'm definitely not what you'd call a "bass head".  As someone who played a lot of trombone, I think there's just something off in the way BA's reproduce horns. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post


Yeah, I know a lot of folks say that BAs sound "artificial" or something. When I said people find them unnatural I sort of meant it in an all inclusive sense. Asked about bass as a specific possibility because if he thinks the IE80s don't sound artificial I don't think it's a timbre issue myself.

 

Really though this stuff ("unnatural," "not musical," "artificial") is pretty vague and personal. I myself think it's more an implementation thing than a problem inherent with BAs, as I can think of plenty of dynamics that sound just as weird or unnatural---if not moreso---than many BAs.

 

PRaT... ugh. Right up there with "wire with gain." Don't get me started on that. I think that's more of a BS issue than a BA issue. LOL.

 

It's definitely vague and personal and something I'm sure no one hears in exactly the same way as I.  My issues with BA's are definitely something I've stuggled to put into words.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Hey guys, got some good news

 

This weekend was actually the worst of the bunch. Saturday was more or less feverish sleep/awake while having that cough that hurt and those blisters and all that. Yesterday wasn't a lot better, but it was better and today I went to the doctors: he basically said that he could see several viral infections in my body at the same time, and while it's bad luck, there isn't much else to do except to wait it out. So, it's just a matter of waiting it out. Also, it means that it isn't streptococcus or some other bacterial infection, which would've been a bit harder to get rid of. Oh well.

 

Good luck waiting it out.  It kinda sucks when they don't just say "here, take this, and you'll feel better in two days", but at least your doctor thinks you'll get better.  Plus they didn't give you anti-biotics mistakenly and create some super-mega-ultra bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Okay, but I didn't want to just assume that everyone's been listening to her all this time.  smile.gif

 

Not that it helps much, but I haven't "been listening to her all this time" or at all in fact.  Perhaps I'll check her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


Hey Dave!

I hate to be the sole voice in the wilderness crying out the same thing over and over, but I think the Vsonic GR07 would really suit you. Of all the iems that I've tried, I feel like it does the least amount of things wrong,while doing so many things right. There are technically better and more exciting iems out there, but the gr07 is a solid, do no wrong kind of earphone. I wrote a review of it (in my sig) comparing it to other top tier dynamics to give a sort of reference.

FWIW, the last triple dynamic I heard (fxz-100) relatively sucked. The review is also in my sig.

 

Thanks.  I might try a pair.

post #8936 of 21761
Such a strange feeling listening to the MDR7550 after days of using my Nami-chan (a BMF DBV #3 T50RP mod), the RHA MA350 and occasionally the JVC FXT90, in that the Sony sounds stuffy and w/ recessed mids. I know this to be not true though, and just reminds me of how powerful our brain is.

But I still miss that MDR7550 sound, so Brain, work faster!!
post #8937 of 21761
Never heard any of the MDR EX line ever described as having recessed mids. I'm sometimes like that too. It can take awhile to get used to another cans sig. When I'm going from my Q701 to my K240 it sounds like a bass cannon the first 2 or 3 songs.
post #8938 of 21761
Thread Starter 

My MBV record showed up finally. I'm also waiting for Low's new album to arrive.

 

 

 

Also really looking forward to...

 

 

 

 

 

I sure do like The National, yessir....

post #8939 of 21761
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

 

I sure do like The National, yessir....

 

For some reason this album cover disturbs and intrigues me all at the same time.

post #8940 of 21761
You know Daft Punk is shipping a new album in May too, right? It's a good spring for music.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2