or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 586  

post #8776 of 21760

Silent, that's a nice looking amp. Does the funky rectifier tube sound different from regular rectifier tubes? I guess Glenn builds to custom specs?

post #8777 of 21760

I like how the best of violins can by all of the flagships and summit gear a thousand times over lol

post #8778 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333jeffery View Post

Silent, that's a nice looking amp. Does the funky rectifier tube sound different from regular rectifier tubes? I guess Glenn builds to custom specs?

 

Thanks kindly. Not sure what you meant by "Regular." My guess would be more so, though other rectifiers can influence the sound in combination of the drive tubes as well. 

 

This particular rectifier is a powerful full-wave rectifier - high-frequency, high altitude (60,000ft). Tubes where you do note see the anode wires terminating at the top are usually routed internally. Having them on the outside helps keep very high voltages away from the lower voltages inside the tube, as explained to me.

 

Glenn (2359glenn) builds to custom specs. On a side note, the amp shown was designed around a 3DG4 rectifier; I happen to love the USAF-596, though the 3DG4 sounds good.


Edited by Silent One - 3/23/13 at 3:34pm
post #8779 of 21760

Hey Jgray, is your new avatar that cute-but-actually-evil thing from Madoka? It's so cute.

 

I think after handing in this proposal I will buy Lollipop Chainsaw.

post #8780 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Hey Jgray, is your new avatar that cute-but-actually-evil thing from Madoka? It's so cute.

 

I think after handing in this proposal I will buy Lollipop Chainsaw.

lolipop chainsaw? a chainsaw made of lolipops? what has the world come to. 

post #8781 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

I like how the best of violins can by all of the flagships and summit gear a thousand times over lol

 

There is something aesthetically pleasing about having wood in one's life. Especially a fine crafted musical instrument.

post #8782 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

There is something aesthetically pleasing about having wood in one's life. Especially a fine crafted musical instrument.

it's good stuff  to look at indeed, but another thing for its sound. I'm content w/ the current one I have, but if I got one of the higher priced ones, I'd sell it and go for a lower priced one and spend the cash on other things .

post #8783 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

There is something aesthetically pleasing about having wood in one's life. Especially a fine crafted musical instrument.

it's good stuff  to look at indeed, but another thing for its sound. I'm content w/ the current one I have, but if I got one of the higher priced ones, I'd sell it and go for a lower priced one and spend the cash on other things .

 

You mean blink.gif greed is alive with instruments as well? biggrin.gif

post #8784 of 21760

I've never listened to a 596 rectifier tube before, only plain-vanilla AR4 rectifiers. The extra wires give it a funky look.

 

A_rec, that's "Kyubey". Yep, he's evil alright.

 

 

First reviews of Bioshock Infinite have hit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/bioshock-infinite-xbox-360ps3-review

Awesome looking, so far.

post #8785 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

You mean blink.gif greed is alive with instruments as well? biggrin.gif

yes man! Haha.. that reference...

 

Wait. do you mean wanting instruments? Yeah, both for the money and reputation. I don't know much about sound. People usually pay attention for the name and tittle/money more than anything. 

post #8786 of 21760
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

If I had skill, time and confidence, I would build a tube amp. I think I would get a lot of satisfaction from seeing something I built light-up and sound good.

 

I have the same thoughts; leaning this way toward the future. It will be very satisfying...

 

Hmm, if you guys want something cheap and easy to practice on, maybe the Oatley K272A would suffice?  It's only like $30 plus shipping for the parts.  Here's a thread on a build... http://www.head-fi.org/t/522639/oatley-k272a-build

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

lolipop chainsaw? a chainsaw made of lolipops? what has the world come to. 

 

Seems okay to me... smile.gif

 

BTW, met Jessica Nigri at E3 last year where she was doing her Lollipop Chainsaw thing.  I gotta say, very impressive.  One of the - if not the - most accurate cosplay portrayals I have ever seen


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

post #8787 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Hmm, if you guys want something cheap and easy to practice on, maybe the Oatley K272A would suffice?  It's only like $30 plus shipping for the parts.  Here's a thread on a build... http://www.head-fi.org/t/522639/oatley-k272a-build

 

 

Seems okay to me... smile.gif

 

BTW, met Jessica Nigri at E3 last year where she was doing her Lollipop Chainsaw thing.  I gotta say, very impressive.  One of the - if not the - most accurate cosplay portrayals I have ever seen

some horror game or something?

post #8788 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333jeffery View Post

I've never listened to a 596 rectifier tube before, only plain-vanilla AR4 rectifiers. The extra wires give it a funky look.

 

A_rec, that's "Kyubey". Yep, he's evil alright.

 

 

First reviews of Bioshock Infinite have hit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/bioshock-infinite-xbox-360ps3-review

Awesome looking, so far.

The Mighty 596 is very rare. There's Military surpluses forgotten about somewhere (U.S. Air Force/ Joint Army Navy). And boxes do turn up now and then. When you've the chance, you should just get one...whether you can play it tongue_smile.gifor not. It will only go up in price...

post #8789 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Hmm, if you guys want something cheap and easy to practice on, maybe the Oatley K272A would suffice?  It's only like $30 plus shipping for the parts.  Here's a thread on a build... http://www.head-fi.org/t/522639/oatley-k272a-build

 

 Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout - money left over for Pizza!

post #8790 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

some horror game or something?

 

TBH, I actually don't know.  I never got past the cheerleading outfit, and the game was competing for my attention with a lot of other titles, so I never looked very deeply into it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Hmm, if you guys want something cheap and easy to practice on, maybe the Oatley K272A would suffice?  It's only like $30 plus shipping for the parts.  Here's a thread on a build... http://www.head-fi.org/t/522639/oatley-k272a-build

 

Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout - money left over for Pizza!

 

Yeah, I gotta say that I'm pretty intrigued as well, especially since it has portable potential!  smile.gif


Edited by warrenpchi - 3/23/13 at 5:41pm


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2