Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 506  

post #7576 of 21760
Thread Starter 

The ECP Audio Black Diamond should be arriving at some point today, so I'll be posting impressions for it tomorrow morning most likely. Very excited about this amp. For those who need a refresher as to why it's special: it uses transformers instead of tubes or transistors.

 

There's another amp coming out that uses transformers in the same manner. It's called the 515SE, and it's being crafted by a group known as The Audio Guild which includes Q-Cables' Steve Eddy who posts here on head-fi. Here's some info from their Facebook detailing the concept and design process:

 

http://www.facebook.com/TheAudioGuild/posts/176962839101355

http://www.facebook.com/TheAudioGuild/posts/178747235589582

 

 

 

I'm super psyched about this amp. Not only is the concept of using transformers intriguing, but the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail is really impressive. It reminds me somewhat of Moth Audio in that sense.

post #7577 of 21760

^You just like big knobs on your amps! Hahaha...

post #7578 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333jeffery View Post

^You just like big knobs on your amps! Hahaha...

 

Nothing quite like the feel of a big knob in your hand....

post #7579 of 21760

Rule 34 strikes again! smile_phones.gif

post #7580 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

dammit i forgot! Another mission accomplished by the TMAC.

 

Haha, I think that you knew it would happen... but just didn't think it would happen to you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Even if that were true, you'd still lose.  I believe Mupps is the holder of the audio gear curse crown. wink.gif

 

Yeah I guess you're right. I've had stuff delayed and stuff sent two provinces over but with the exception of a bad CLAS interconnect I've yet to receive a defective piece of gear. poor Romy has had some major bad luck with ultra expensive gear.

 

Probably more of the law of large numbers coming into play more than anything else, but still sucks.  I think I'm relatively fortunate in having not gotten anything defective yet.  I just hope that I don't get bitten when I start making the foray into higher ticket items.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

I think Tangster might have one in one of his pockets somewhere... but I don't know if he'll be able to look for it atm as he's busy with a Peter Pan costume.  I could rummage around for one tomorrow. 

 

You know, it's a bit disturbing how what I just said makes perfect sense to me... but would probably scare off a lot of lurkers.  biggrin.gif

 

English? or Youth english? Please explain bigsmile_face.gif

 

Not sure you're what you mean...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

You mean blink.gif no one looks at usernames anymore?

 

That's what I was bettin' on!  biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

The fact that I feel it is up there with IEMs in the $1,300 range speaks for itself DigitalFreak :). That is amazing.

 

lol I was serious on my comments regarding gaming with them. I play FPS games competitively and it did indeed do a decent job in that regard :).

 

Okay wait, how are you going to put a mic mod on that thing?  Or, will you be trying to go with a Zalman clip on?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

It's after 4 AM and I'm still listening to this thing. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME

 

I have a feeling that this is foreshadowing my upcoming experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Also Fostex is working on a portable tube amp, the HP-V1:

 

 

Here's their blog entry announcing it.

Here's a thread on head-fi with not much information.

 

I love the massive heatsinks on the side of it, which make sense given how much heat tubes generate.

 

Mupps, are you considering taking this one in for an audition when it comes out?  I've pretty much realized that I'm not going to be able to afford the WA7 anytime soon - at least not with the other things I'm saving up for (Flat4, among others).  I guess it won't be until much later in the year, but if/when you do I'd look forward to your impressions of it's tubeness.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

On a semi-related note, I'd love to visit the Ocharaku tea shop at some point. It has such a lovely vibe to it that kind of mirrors their approach to audio I think.

 

 

Extreme attention to interior detail without getting cluttered, exciting and vibrant yet organized and composed. Traditional yet unconventional. 

 

It's pretty.  And they did a good job with the lighting, particularly in terms of not being obnoxious with the spot lighting.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

The Hidition has something of a novelty factor for me because it was something I wasn't really even considering a few weeks ago. Every now and then I like to choose things from out-of-the-blue to delude myself into thinking I'm rather unpredictable. In this case I'm genuinely intrigued as Hidition doesn't get much coverage 'round here aside from the noble efforts of a few adventurous Seouls. If I went this route I'd probably go for something vibrantly colored:

 

 

I'm usually not a fan of pink, fuchsia, etc.  But I have to admit that there's something very appealing about that one.  Maybe it's the lustrous and slightly iridescent look of it, combined with the right lighting, but tell me that doesn't look great!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

The ECP Audio Black Diamond should be arriving at some point today, so I'll be posting impressions for it tomorrow morning most likely. Very excited about this amp. For those who need a refresher as to why it's special: it uses transformers instead of tubes or transistors.

 

There's another amp coming out that uses transformers in the same manner. It's called the 515SE, and it's being crafted by a group known as The Audio Guild which includes Q-Cables' Steve Eddy who posts here on head-fi. Here's some info from their Facebook detailing the concept and design process:

 

 

Given how rare the Black Diamond is going to be, you'll be only one of two people in the world that could do a proper shoot-out between the two.


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

post #7581 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Actually, I don't think the Flat-4 are all that transparent. They have a distinctive and quite intriguing sound signature, that's probably more subtle than the ES5's. They're analytical, but not quite transparent imo.

 

Why would wearing them over ear offset the sound? confused.gif

 

Maybe you're inserting them at a different angle when you wear them that way. Other than that, I can't think of any reason why "bass is positioned higher than it should", as rotating them by 180 degrees makes zero difference to their (round) drivers.


When inserting them over ear you are wearing the driver upside down. It seems to offset the sound at least to my ears. The bass appears to be above the vocals which isn't right.

post #7582 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I'm super psyched about this amp. Not only is the concept of using transformers intriguing, but the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail is really impressive. It reminds me somewhat of Moth Audio in that sense.

That thing totally reminds me of an old school stompbox like the Pro Co Rat or something
post #7583 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Given how rare the Black Diamond is going to be, you'll be only one of two people in the world that could do a proper shoot-out between the two.

 

There's also a single PCB that Doug sold. Shipsupt bought it and plans to make his own DIY amp, so there should be three Black Diamonds.

 

I also spoke to Doug about the future of the design, and there's a chance he might be doing a commercial version of the Black Diamond. It'll look different than the prototypes and cost more tho.

post #7584 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

My only agenda was to save people money that they could put to use elsewhere, and avoid the hype from the appreciation thread, Señor Sourgrapes.

 

 wink.gif


No I think Sourgrapes would entail someone kicking someone off of said tour because they couldn't take a joke ;).

post #7585 of 21760

Please allow an American pizza executive explain to you who Hatsune Miku is.

 

post #7586 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


No I think Sourgrapes would entail someone kicking someone off of said tour because they couldn't take a joke ;).

 

Not quite

 

Anyway, let's not bicker on Romy's thread. 

 

 


 

 

So my HD600 arrived today, and it's even more beautiful in person. The sucky thing is that my amp is a 3.5mm, and the jack on the HD600 is 6.5mm (the seller swapped it with the HD650 cable).

 

I'm about to head to radio shack to try to find an adapter so I can hear it tonight.

post #7587 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

There's also a single PCB that Doug sold. Shipsupt bought it and plans to make his own DIY amp, so there should be three Black Diamonds.

 

Hey now, that would be cool tool.  Spoke to him briefly about a mutual friend at Changfest, but didn't get a chance to talk audio at all so I had no clue.  Do you happen to know if he has an interest in the 515SE as well?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

I also spoke to Doug about the future of the design, and there's a chance he might be doing a commercial version of the Black Diamond. It'll look different than the prototypes and cost more tho.

 

Yeah, it would definitely have to account for the mark-up structure for dealers and such.  Most likely 4~5 times what his total COGS is if he's even considering full-scale distribution at some point down the line.  Seems like you got a bargain.  smile.gif


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

post #7588 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Please allow an American pizza executive explain to you who Hatsune Miku is.

 

 

Oh my god. I can't even.

 

This guy's delivery is just. Incredible.


I almost feel like Dominoes will come to represent 23% of Japan's GDP based on this app alone.

post #7589 of 21760
That video and app combo is awesome in more ways than one.


RE: Audioguild amp (and other amps like Bottlehead/Decware):

I really do not care for the vertical inputs and outputs, especially with wooden construction. It makes me think of console televisions. Old, out of style, less functional pieces of gear that I would never own even if it sounded amazing. I guess there's a market for everything, but these are complete turn offs for me.
post #7590 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I really do not care for the vertical inputs and outputs, especially with wooden construction. It makes me think of console televisions. Old, out of style, less functional pieces of gear that I would never own even if it sounded amazing. I guess there's a market for everything, but these are complete turn offs for me.

 

Reminds me of an old-style Dynamite/TNT detonator, which some might consider appealing.


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2