Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 452  

post #6766 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28980 View Post

~ got my pen.

 

 

 

 

 

I love the usage so far, it simply glides across paper and I don't find myself getting blisters on my fingers anymore from writing too much with a pencil/pen with a crap guard. I'll probably pick up a nicer one with a fine nib though, medium is a bit too thick for me.

 

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l-l-y  presented. In a bit of a coincidence, five minutes ago I just finished making myself a custom fountain pen holder for my Pilot Falcon Metal pen. Will post my DIY holder in the Pen-Fi in the half hour ( and here, perhaps). The Nikon is currently shooting Aloe Vera plants. 


Edited by Silent One - 2/23/13 at 4:10pm
post #6767 of 21761

People talk about pens and I never see my favorite mentioned so I'll drop it here:

 

 Uni-Ball Signo 0.38mm. The Japanese ultra-finepoint pens are really unlike anything you can get at American office supply stores. If you don't like gel or roller ball pens, try this before you give up on them completely. There's also a 0.28mm version which I also like, but it's too fine to be useful on the low-grade paper sold in notebooks and pads here -- it's too easy to cut straight through the paper with it if you write with a heavy hand. It's good for sketchbooks and Moleskines and the like. (I have a 0.19mm tip pen made by a competitor, which as far as I can tell is mostly useful for tattooing mosquitos.)

 

Jet Pens is the only place in the U.S. that reliably stocks them -- Office supply stores here only sell the versions with tips that are 0.50mm and larger, and usually only in black, blue and red. $2.50 is kind of steep for a disposable pen (I got my brown-black pens at Kyobo in Seoul for, I think, $1.80-ish at the exchange rate of the time), but considering how fine the tip is, the ink reservoir lasts longer than you'd expect, so as long as you're not prone to losing pens it works out. You might prefer their clicky-pen retractible tip version if you're some kind of weirdo.

post #6768 of 21761

^^ Uni-ball pencils are already magnificent, I shudder to think how gorgeous their pens would be. 

 

Between the Lyra and the Hi-Unis, they both serve similar purposes (for smoothness) but Lyra colors are a whole nother story. Favourite pencils would still be the Tombow Mono 100s - giving out some of the cleanest lines you'll ever find while still getting dark and satisfying.  Staedtler as the gentle workhorse/jack-of-all-trades that are easy to stock up on, nice and cheap.

 

Great, now I'm looking at drawing pens http://www.rotring.com/en/43-isograph-01-03-05-master-set-31-3501170699423.html

This site get you spending in more ways than one...

post #6769 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Great, now I'm looking at drawing pens http://www.rotring.com/en/43-isograph-01-03-05-master-set-31-3501170699423.html

This site get you spending in more ways than one...

 

I was "trained" on Rapidographs (http://www.kohinoorusa.com/products/pens/rapidograph/index.html) which are also nice.

post #6770 of 21761

used to have a uni clipturn. was a wonderful pen-cile

post #6771 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

used to have a uni clipturn. was a wonderful pen-cile

Used to? What'd you do to it, blow it up or something? mini-panda terrorist. Those things are hefty and built like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

I was "trained" on Rapidographs (http://www.kohinoorusa.com/products/pens/rapidograph/index.html) which are also nice.

Ugh, more choices. If I do decide to get a set, it'd be have to be sometime today since I won't have to actually wait for the buggers the whole week. I'd just order them, forget about it, come back after a week and pick them up.

 

Wonder if Michael's stocks any of these.

post #6772 of 21761

I'm not a big fan of pencils generally. I write small text with a light hand, so my perfect mechanical pencil lead would be something like a 0.3mm 5B, which probably wouldn't be strong enough to hold together in the feed mechanism.

 

Similarly, I had a long love affair with drawing pens and drafting pens before eventually realizing that they're not so great for writing text. There was a disposable Tombow liquid ink pen that I loved despite its occasional inclination to leak, but it was always hard to find pre-Internet and Tombow seems to have either discontinued it or restricted its sales to extremely limited markets -- Kyobo is the only place I've seen it sold in the past couple years and even Tombow's own online product catalogs don't list it. Not that I mind any more, I prefer the fine-point Signos now, even more than most of the fountain pens and other fine writing instruments I've tried. Getting an ultra-fine line is a personal obsession and it's not reasonably possible with a fountain pen.

post #6773 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Wonder if Michael's stocks any of these.

 

Rapidographs are okay. Technical pens are not made for standard American notebook paper, more for less-absorbent media like vellum and drafting paper. So you'll have to learn how to clean them and get in the habit of doing it regularly.

 

If you want to try tech pens, get a couple Artline fiber-tip tech pens for two bucks each or six for ten, and see if you like them. The difference between fiber-tip disposables and metal-tip Rapidographs is the difference between 92% and 98%, IMO, and the disposables are much less of a hassle. Michael's should have Artline or something similar.

 

I'm saying this as somebody trained in graphics production the old-fashioned way, with ruling pens, squares, and bottles of Plaka.


Edited by ardgedee - 2/23/13 at 5:10pm
post #6774 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

People talk about pens and I never see my favorite mentioned so I'll drop it here:

 

 Uni-Ball Signo 0.38mm. The Japanese ultra-finepoint pens are really unlike anything you can get at American office supply stores. If you don't like gel or roller ball pens, try this before you give up on them completely. There's also a 0.28mm version which I also like, but it's too fine to be useful on the low-grade paper sold in notebooks and pads here -- it's too easy to cut straight through the paper with it if you write with a heavy hand. It's good for sketchbooks and Moleskines and the like. (I have a 0.19mm tip pen made by a competitor, which as far as I can tell is mostly useful for tattooing mosquitos.)

 

Jet Pens is the only place in the U.S. that reliably stocks them -- Office supply stores here only sell the versions with tips that are 0.50mm and larger, and usually only in black, blue and red. $2.50 is kind of steep for a disposable pen (I got my brown-black pens at Kyobo in Seoul for, I think, $1.80-ish at the exchange rate of the time), but considering how fine the tip is, the ink reservoir lasts longer than you'd expect, so as long as you're not prone to losing pens it works out. You might prefer their clicky-pen retractible tip version if you're some kind of weirdo.

 

I love Uni Ball. I don't do as much writing now but I went through high school with various Uni Ball pens, which I would point out with some pride were Made in Japan by Mitsubishi (whoadthunkit?). I like clicky pens but only because I like to click them nervously.

 

I'll see if I can source this ultra fine point dealio. I'm used to using 0.6 because I found anything thinner was scratchy, but I have a heavy hand.

post #6775 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Rapidographs are okay. Technical pens are not made for standard American notebook paper, more for less-absorbent media like vellum and drafting paper. So you'll have to learn how to clean them and get in the habit of doing it regularly.

 

If you want to try tech pens, get a couple Artlines for two bucks each or six for ten, and see if you like them. Rapidographs are nicer, but it's the difference between 92% and 98%, IMO. Michael's should have Artlines or something similar.

 

I'm saying this as somebody trained in graphics production the old-fashioned way, with ruling pens, squares, and bottles of Plaka.

Artlines are what I'm trying to upgrade from :P Took  I mean err borrowed a pair from the studio a while back (they didn't miss it) but sat on them in my bag last month and can still remember feeling my buttocks bending them in half. Guess I'm heavier than I look. I could just snatch another, but sort of want my own set this time around and would appreciate stepping up. Not to worry about the vellum/medium, have plenty of Bristol pads at home.

post #6776 of 21761
Do people use technical pens outside of drafting? Sure they put down a nice even very black line but you need to hold then perpendicular to the paper which isnt natural at all, unless youre drafting.
post #6777 of 21761

DIY Fountain Pen Holder - Pilot Falcon Metal Pen|Fine nib

 

 

790741

 

790740

post #6778 of 21761

^^ Ever think of wearing the heels, but strapping a pocket knife on instead of a pen?

post #6779 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

^^ Ever think of wearing the heels, but strapping a pocket knife on instead of a pen?

No.. Sadly I don't think k of ever wearing heels :P.

Nice to see I started a whole conversation on pens with my entry fountain pen haha.
post #6780 of 21761

I'll leave you and yo' thang be, if you enjoy wearing heels then do it like you know you can. The above is a prototype - final version will be a red stiletto (6" heel).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2