or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 433  

post #6481 of 21760
Following on the link the other day to Scarfolk's website, an interesting albeit rambling essay on hauntology, an esthetic that makes total sense to me although I'd never heard of the term before.

To my mind, it's the modern version of the esthetics of architectural ruins; not appreciating classical architecture for how it was supposed to look but for how it looks to us now. And I wonder how much of this is because we've gotten too efficient at removing obsoleted and decaying structures rather than preferring to move elsewhere and letting them rot; and to what extent it's become easier to preserve old media than old presences.
post #6482 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

As a Playstation fanboy (yes I belong in that generation) and part of the youth in this generation, I am highly disappointed in it................... I think I will have to think long and hard before deciding to buy or not buy on launch day. (Which tells us how Sony has withered over the years, usually a Playstation is some what of a must buy for me, times must have changed...) 

 

I love my PS3. I got it for free with a TV when it was still stratospherically expensive. $697 AUD. (For you folks in the states, do you know that the PS3 was priced at $999 AUD when it was released here?)

 

The PS4 launch seemed pretty disappointing to me too, but honestly I think the dedicated home console market is tapped out. I do have a belief that Valve will come in and mop the floor with the dedicated gamers, and Android / iOS integration with TV's will take care of the rest. That's my armchair prediction!

post #6483 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

That looks very stylish and artistic. I would love to try reading it. I'm not too experienced at reading manga though. I never really understood how they are supposed to be read. 
You mean from right to left ? You get used to it after one volume...
post #6484 of 21760

Personally, I just find it hard to get excited over new specs in consoles now that I've been a PC guy for years and seeing how little games actually use that hardware.  I've seen people elsewhere getting all excited over the PS4 having 8GB of RAM and I think ...so what?  It probably costs a manufacturer like $25 to put that in there now.  I'd be annoyed if it had any less than that for whatever it's going to cost (I'm assuming more than a Wii U).

 

Also, **** that share button.  Well, actually, if it's a MiiVerse ripoff then that could be cool since MiiVerse tends to be funny as hell, but I just hate seeing buttons like that on things; it's obnoxious. 


Edited by driver 8 - 2/21/13 at 6:38am
post #6485 of 21760
Thread Starter 

I just get a little grumpy when I see how much emphasis is being placed on the online social dimension in gaming now. I'd rather interact with friends in person while playing a game than play people online, but that's just me. It probably stems from my youth which involved a lot of sitting around with neighbors playing fighting games, hanging out at sleazy arcades and people watching, and staying up all night with a good friend playing RPGs. It always seemed as though at its very best online gaming could only approximate that feeling of interpersonal connection, and at its worst actively destroy it.

 

It's also interesting to see how developers are integrating that "always online" connectivity into all facets of gaming, not just the traditionally "multiplayer" games. Sort of like what Valve wanted to do with Prospero way back. The concept of no longer making strict single player games, but rather games where you play solo in the midst of a larger community is a bit... iffy to me. It sounds cool in theory, but I can't help but feel a bit of anxiety when I see how developers are moving away from the pure single player experience more and more. "Connected" gaming always seems to come at the expense of storyline and pacing, two of the most important elements for me in many genres.

 

Plus when people lose interest and the community starts to dwindle... does the single player game become worthless if it's that integrated? Even Mass Effect 3, with the most basic of cross-over between single and multiplayer, raises these questions. How do you boost your readiness level if there are no online games to join, say 10 years from now? In 10 years is the "best ending" no longer possible?

 

I've mused about this before, I know...

post #6486 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

Personally, I just find it hard to get excited over new specs in consoles now that I've been a PC guy for years and seeing how little games actually use that hardware.  I've seen people elsewhere getting all excited over the PS4 having 8GB of RAM and I think ...so what?  It probably costs a manufacturer like $25 to put that in there now.  I'd be annoyed if it had any less than that for whatever it's going to cost (I'm assuming more than a Wii U).

 

Also, **** that share button.  Well, actually, if it's a MiiVerse ripoff then that could be cool since MiiVerse tends to be funny as hell, but I just hate seeing buttons like that on things; it's obnoxious. 

 

I do think that the PS4 brings the whole concept of social interaction and wireless connectivity through a whole new level. I won't say that it's good but I also won't say that it's bad. The idea of resuming gameplay on PSVita, remote play and streaming is very neat indeed but I'm afraid that we'll be too connected with it and we'll be reduced to sit on our couches and play on the PS4 while streaming a game, twitting how far you're in the game and trash talk someone on FaceBook for hours and hours and everything in one device.

Talk about progress in the human condition, it is not.

post #6487 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I just get a little grumpy when I see how much emphasis is being placed on the online social dimension in gaming now. I'd rather interact with friends in person while playing a game than play people online, but that's just me. It probably stems from my youth which involved a lot of sitting around with neighbors playing fighting games, hanging out at sleazy arcades and people watching, and staying up all night with a good friend playing RPGs. It always seemed as though at its very best online gaming could only approximate that feeling of interpersonal connection, and at its worst actively destroy it.

 

It's also interesting to see how developers are integrating that "always online" connectivity into all facets of gaming, not just the traditionally "multiplayer" games. Sort of like what Valve wanted to do with Prospero way back. The concept of no longer making strict single player games, but rather games where you play solo in the midst of a larger community is a bit... iffy to me. It sounds cool in theory, but I can't help but feel a bit of anxiety when I see how developers are moving away from the pure single player experience more and more. "Connected" gaming always seems to come at the expense of storyline and pacing, two of the most important elements for me in many genres.

 

Plus when people lose interest and the community starts to dwindle... does the single player game become worthless if it's that integrated? Even Mass Effect 3, with the most basic of cross-over between single and multiplayer, raises these questions. How do you boost your readiness level if there are no online games to join, say 10 years from now? In 10 years is the "best ending" no longer possible?

 

I've mused about this before, I know...

I do too. I don't really like when a game is reduced to being an online multiplayer game. Games used to be like interactive movies with lots of interesting gameplay, huge story depth, likeable characters and a memorable story line. Now it's more like a virtual war zone between players. No story, no characters, nothing, just get up and shoot.

There are just a few developers that focuses on this philosophy. All I could think of are Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch. I might be forgetting some but those studios made great games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted and inFamous.


Edited by VortexBlast - 2/21/13 at 7:02am
post #6488 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


You mean from right to left ? You get used to it after one volume...

Yeah, but is it meant to be read right page before left page as well, and what about the order of the "squares" (in lack of a better word) on the same page on the same row, from right to left or left to right?

 

The reason I ask is because I've tried reading a very few times, and none of those times was any certain order more logical than the other. Either the protagonist was beaming light out of his head first and yelling afterwards, or he yelled first and started beaming light out of his forehead afterwards. Since I'm not too used to people that beam light out of their heads, I really had no idea which made more sense. 

 

Here is a perfect example of what I mean:

 

 

 

Is that decapitated man who beams light and bubbles (!!!) out of his head screaming (assumably) profanities at the half cat first, or is the half cat screaming at the decapitated bubbly head first?

 

Obviously, I could look these things up on the google, but at the time I didn't have at my hands, nor did I have anyone to ask, and it kind of upset me to the point that I couldn't concentrate on moving on and keeping on reading because there was a 50% risk that I was reading it all wrong. It does change a character quite a bit depending on whether he shoots first and asks questions later, or if he's the other way around. One would imply that he's quite possibly mentally ill, and the other would imply that he would've been totally sane, although a bit trigger happy.

post #6489 of 21760
It's all right to left, from page order to the way you should read the dialogue balloons.

Have to admit I've encountered manga that made at least as much sense when read left to right. Sometimes they're messing with your head on purpose.
post #6490 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

It's all right to left, from page order to the way you should read the dialogue balloons.

Have to admit I've encountered manga that made at least as much sense when read left to right. Sometimes they're messing with your head on purpose.

Thanks, yeah, that was my experience as well. It made just as little sense no matter what direction you read it.

 

But it's still top to bottom, right?

post #6491 of 21760
@jgray in that case take a look at Ohio state. We have some pretty good engineering programs if I recall correctly.
post #6492 of 21760

Now I don't feel left out.
post #6493 of 21760
Thread Starter 

~> Been listening to the T-Peos from eke's listening tour. Impressions soon.

 

~> My Apex Glacier should arrive today.

 

~> The Black Diamond should be arriving in the next week or so.

 

~> Actually giving some thought to trying the Altmann Tera...

 

~> Can't decide between the silver or black Liquid Glass. I think I'm going to have the volume knob custom colored orange to reference the Agent Orange amp.

 

~> I'd rather listen to the Float QA out of a cheap t-amp than just about any other full-sized headphone right now.

 

~> Ear impressions have been sent off. The wait begins.

 

~> Need to get a new AC adapter for my MacBook Pro; the current one is omitting a weird squealing noise when it's plugged in to any outlet.

 

~> Still not sure how I feel about the new Stingray. I think I like the new Viper better, but then I've always liked the Viper for some weird reason.

 

~> Mint chocolate chip ice cream cake is ballin'.

post #6494 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

~> Been listening to the T-Peos from eke's listening tour. Impressions soon.

~> My Apex Glacier should arrive today.

~> The Black Diamond should be arriving in the next week or so.

~> Actually giving some thought to trying the Altmann Tera...

 



~> Can't decide between the silver or black Liquid Glass. I think I'm going to have the volume knob custom colored orange to reference the Agent Orange amp.



 



~> I'd rather listen to the Float QA out of a cheap t-amp than just about any other full-sized headphone right now.




~> Ear impressions have been sent off. The wait begins.

~> Need to get a new AC adapter for my MacBook Pro; the current one is omitting a weird squealing noise when it's plugged in to any outlet.

~> Still not sure how I feel about the new Stingray. I think I like the new Viper better, but then I've always liked the Viper for some weird reason.

~> Mint chocolate chip ice cream cake is ballin'.

What customs are you getting?

Mmm..ice cream i haven't has that in months.
post #6495 of 21760

The only thing that interests me about the PS4 right now is more Vita "integration"... the thing I'm bummed about is the lack of Backwards Compatibility due to the change in CPU :-(  ... I know that they probably did it so that the PS4 would be "easier" to program but I think there's a hidden agenda... with an x86 architecture it would be easier to also port PC games, maybe even dwarfing Valve's Steam Box before it arrives...

 

But with the huge backlog of games I still have and no backwards compatibility (yeah yeah, I know Gaikai might offer them via streaming but if you live here, we sometimes get connection errors or buffering streaming youtube videos! LOL) I might be staying with the PS3 for a bit longer. Definitely not a Day-1 buyer...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2