Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 420
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Talking about objectivism and subjectivism, I did once post on the Anime thread that the MDR-1R is only worth it if you are willing to spend extra on an aftermarket cable. I know this because I've tried an 1R with the stock cable and compared it with a Mogami Quad Microphone Cable and the sound was quite noticeably better on the Mogami cable. The bass is more controlled and the treble is a bit more defined.
After I posted this remark on the Anime thread, obviously someone then began to mumble that cables don't make jack of a difference and that it's just snake oil. I didn't want to argue back then but my point is, believing if cables make a difference kind of determines if you're on the objective or on the subjective camp. I believe that high end cables do make a difference up to a certain price point. Even Tyll, to a certain point, believes that it does make a difference even if his measurements between different cables seems to contradict him.
I tried 2 different ALO cables for my HE-500, a custom 16 braid Reference 16 cable and the Salty Pepper cable. The Ref 16 did make the sound lusher and more laid back but it did have a much broader and more realistic soundstage.
If cables didn't make a difference, then we would have coat wire hangers as cables on the HD800.
I'm always quite guarded about things like cables/amp/dac rolling, but having heard the difference between terrible DACs(cough, Nexus 7) and much better DACs as well as difference in amps(boy, the Asgard sounds warm compared to a lot of other stuff) I can believe that there's a difference from cables as well. I haven't got a headphone where a cable swap provided an audible change when I tried it though. The IE80 is supposedly very different with a silver cable, so that may be my tester.
Yum. I know you're referring to the love playing with fire with your reference to growing up, but I just had to make a comment that most boys don't even know what brulee is let alone make it :P.
You're probably right. I just enjoy making desserts. Helps me relax after a long day of chem and bio classes.
I've had this set of ATH-7 electret headphones for almost two years. Shortly after buying them off ebay, the right channel got spotty and eventually died completely. So I finally got around to repairing them today.
They could definitely benefit from more work; the earpads are totally not original condition any more, and there's a gasket inside the cups that withered up and died a very, very long time ago. Even in their current state they sound wonderful; there's a beautiful lucidity to the sound that makes singers sound present and intimate. There's sibilance and the bass rolloff is profound, and the soundstage is fairly small with my usual system configuration. Some of that can be probably be improved through tweaks. But before I shelved them to be repaired, they were my favorite phones for acoustic music, and I think they will be again, soon.
I just switched from my Grados to my M-100's and for kicks decided to give some old school sounding death metal a shot. The M-100 sounds stellar with Niles Annihilation Of The Wicked album. It's presentation with this album completely owns my Grado and Senn cans
Me too. It's not all kittens and rainbows, but in my limited experience with toddlers, she's fairly manageable. Much more so than my nephew at that age. He'd throw these blood-curdling tantrums that would make you want to have a fit of your own. Her big thing is sticking everything into her mouth, because of the teething thing, so whatever she can grab is usually soggy; remotes, phones, dog/cat toys, shoes, puppy ears, etc.. She has a ton of teething rings, but she'd rather throw those at the dog.
Edited by Magick Man - 2/18/13 at 8:20pm
Yeah. I've really loved it since I unpacked it, but part of the reason why it was idle for so long was because I wanted to improve my soldering skills before tackling it.
This is doing a better job with brostep music (deadmau5) than I would have expected, although I have to turn the 30 Hz and 150 Hz knobs on the receiver to the right a bit in order to get any meaningful bass out of it.
You'll discover this frequently as you accumulate gear; some music is just plain better on non-audiophile-approved equipment.
Yeah I've started to go through some of my heavier more drum driven stuff that has a lot of heavy deep growl for vocals and I'm finding some of it sounds completely stellar while other stuff sounds really off. I'm trying to figure out right now what albums really work on this can. I'm surprised the M-100 can do death metal so well though. With jazz most rock and most of the other metal sub genres it either does terrible or mediocre at best. I'm not much of a pure death metal fan so my material is limited so the sub genre slipped right by me. Nobodies more surprised about this right now then me. It seems that really heavy sounding thick chug like sound death is known for really sounds good on this headphone.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 2/18/13 at 8:44pm
ipod -> ES5 is more tolerable for some of my music than my more elaborate home systems, I'd have to say. Also, I often find myself getting more engrossed in a thing with Conductor -> LCD 3 than NAD M51 -> ECBA -> HD800's. Of course the latter is more rewarding with other stuff, but yeah. I could never dwindle my collection down to the most accurate or revealing stuff because some of it just sounds better with a warmer presentation.
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 44 seconds ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 3 minutes ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 5 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear