or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 419  

post #6271 of 21760

Scarfolk Council Memory & Function (& Memory) is an absolutely brilliant site full of dark humor. The graphic design is pitch perfect.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
"Scarfolk is more than its famous sewage treatment works, it's more than its high security mental facilities; it's more than its world renowned covens; it's more than its fine reputation which it rebuilt after a spate of grizzly serial killings..." 
post #6272 of 21760
Thread Starter 

I really don't mean to dismiss anyone's experience with amps if they genuinely don't hear a difference between them. The only reason I even had a reactive "twitch" in the first place was seeing AMB getting trashed. And not because I'm some AMB fan (I sold my B22 quite happily), but rather because it's something you see all the time among certain dedicated O2 fans. Something the creator of the O2 just so happened to be very vocal about. I was mainly curious if this latest batch of comments was actually based on personal experience or not. This time it was, so I was pretty content to just move on with a playful nudge. Only I miscalculated, and it opened up a whole boring cascade of rehashed nonsense. That's really what my "not having synergy" comment was about. I obviously didn't know there were so many O2 fans there. I'm not on any sort of personal crusade, and I honestly don't care enough to try to "convert" people to my views. I have no delusions of being some head-fi messiah. So I try to ignore that sort of engagement, as no real good can come from it.

 

Anyway, this whole thing seems a little weird to me, because it's actually not something certain well-known objectivists even advocated in the first place. It comes from a misunderstanding of what said individual said. A certain someone never said all opamps sound the same. Stick a different opamp in the O2 and it'll change it's sound, in fact! What was said is that opamps are misused when used for such purposes. That you're paying a lot of money for "distortion" with high end amps that are colored. That argument isn't the same as "all amps sound the same." The actual argument should be "all good amps sound the same." Which I still don't agree with, but at least makes sense. Irony being there's a pretty strong subjective facet in this argument (which is probably why some objectivists turn it into a completely objective---albeit weird---argument of "all amps sound the same"). And that's just it. It never was an absolute scientific statement, but rather one ideology versus another.


Edited by MuppetFace - 2/18/13 at 4:55pm
post #6273 of 21760
Funny how the older some people (and as their ears measurably degrade with age), the more nuanced differences they claim to hear between audio gear... rolleyes.gif on the other hand I'm 31. I *was* a university student back when I joined head-fi in 2001 and actually believed some of the hype back then rolleyes.gif
post #6274 of 21760

Hearing is a quantifiable attribute measurable through tests. The acuity of our hearing becomes worse as we age.

 

Listening is a product of attention and understanding, and is a skill that can be improved with time and practice.

 

Older people can't necessarily hear as well as younger people, but they can be more discriminating in what they perceive.

post #6275 of 21760
Thread Starter 

I mean it's totally not possible people can gain experience as they invest more time doing something. That would be crazy.

 

Unless we're talking about reading certain blogs. Then we can gradually ascend the ladder to Objectivist Heaven.


Edited by MuppetFace - 2/18/13 at 5:11pm
post #6276 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Scarfolk Council Memory & Function (& Memory) is an absolutely brilliant site full of dark humor. The graphic design is pitch perfect.

 

 

 

Oh wow, that's great. I say we all just read this and forget the drama.

 

Edit 1: anyone notice Lee730's new title? Kinda funny.

 

Edit 2: Here are some cats to further diffuse any lingering tensions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

If this does not work, further periodic doses are recommended.


Edited by MuppetFace - 2/18/13 at 5:27pm
post #6277 of 21760
The times I've read anything written by nwavguy can be counted on one crippled hand.

havefunwithstereotypes.jpg

moving on... wink.gif
post #6278 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I really don't mean to dismiss anyone's experience with amps if they genuinely don't hear a difference between them. The only reason I even had a reactive "twitch" in the first place was seeing AMB getting trashed. And not because I'm some AMB fan (I sold my B22 quite happily), but rather because it's something you see all the time among certain dedicated O2 fans. Something the creator of the O2 just so happened to be very vocal about. I was mainly curious if this latest batch of comments was actually based on personal experience or not. This time it was, so I was pretty content to just move on with a playful nudge. Only I miscalculated, and it opened up a whole boring cascade of rehashed nonsense. That's really what my "not having synergy" comment was about. I obviously didn't know there were so many O2 fans there. I'm not on any sort of personal crusade, and I honestly don't care enough to try to "convert" people to my views. I have no delusions of being some head-fi messiah. So I try to ignore that sort of engagement, as no real good can come from it.

 

Anyway, this whole thing seems a little weird to me, because it's actually not something certain well-known objectivists even advocated in the first place. It comes from a misunderstanding of what said individual said. A certain someone never said all opamps sound the same. Stick a different opamp in the O2 and it'll change it's sound, in fact! What was said is that opamps are misused when used for such purposes. That you're paying a lot of money for "distortion" with high end amps that are colored. That argument isn't the same as "all amps sound the same." The actual argument should be "all good amps sound the same." Which I still don't agree with, but at least makes sense. Irony being there's a pretty strong subjective facet in this argument (which is probably why some objectivists turn it into a completely objective---albeit weird---argument of "all amps sound the same"). And that's just it. It never was an absolute scientific statement, but rather one ideology versus another.

 

It's religion. People will read into things what they want to believe. It's sad, because they claim to be supporting science when their actions do exactly the opposite. My father was a professor of Zoology. Though he was a proponent of Darwin, in modern times the man's theories have been over-simplified into meaning that we are all just animals. There isn't actually any solid proof we descended from apes. Nobody asks the simple question that if we had, why do apes still exist? That's a quagmire I wont go into. I think it comes down to people wanting something to believe in and be lazy, rather than make the effort to expand their thinking and understanding of themselves and the world. What's worse is when they will make an effort to fight to maintain their incomplete picture of the world over gaining a greater understanding of it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Funny how the older some people (and as their ears measurably degrade with age), the more nuanced differences they claim to hear between audio gear... rolleyes.gif on the other hand I'm 31. I *was* a university student back when I joined head-fi in 2001 and actually believed some of the hype back then rolleyes.gif

 

Everyone has to believe in something. We end up either sticking to our beliefs or substituting them for something else. I'm happy I wasn't stuck with any firm set of beliefs, though that has other disadvantages. I think it is simpler to just enjoy listening to the music.  smile.gif

 

Here's a thought though: If some people start on one side of the fence and cross over to the other later in life, but other people start on the other side of the fence and cross over in the opposite direction (about any kind of idea of belief) then does it mean anyone was right or wrong? What does it mean?  Don't answer that, just think about it. wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
Unrelated note: anyone notice Lee730's new title? Kinda funny.

 

wink_face.gif

post #6279 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

That is not the face of a cat that's lovin' it.

post #6280 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post



Oh no. ):


Lol, easy there jgray91. Your bankbook might jump out at you from inside the closet swinging a machete

 

I'm really diggin' jgray91's new avatar!

 

machete wallet.jpg

post #6281 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Not in the cards so far... Going to give the new GS-X a try at the Austin meet in a couple weeks to decide if I want to give it a try in my home, but with the delay on ordering and actually receiving it would probably be RMAF time before I got one anyway.

 

So you might as well go.  wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

This is my daughter's Papillon, Mogwai. She calls her "kitty", but then the baby's only a year old and she thinks all animals are kitties. smily_headphones1.gif

She's a spunky little dog, and very intelligent (much more than my wife's longhaired chihuahua). More importantly, she's extremely gentle with my little girl, who has a tendency to grab her tail and ears unexpectedly.

Right now they're playing in the floor, Emma's throwing foam building blocks at the puppy who then fetches them and barks at her. It's quite a show.

 

I think papahood bcomes you.  smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

JDS Labs is making some very strong claims by saying it's C5 amp matches the O2. Lord Mordo's sycophants must be frothing at the mouth right now. You guys think it's all pre release hype or is there maybe a possibility they upped the bar?

 

They are obviously very good looking. Especially the red one.

 

 

$189 isn't that big of a deal either. I'll be awaiting some reviews first though.

 

Those look great!  I might take you up on reviewing that soon.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

In the dorms @ Uni, I had a wonderful Chameleon. She lived on a 6 ft indoor tree inside the living room. No one was able to just walk up and locate her, save her dad. wink.gif

 

Slient, like father like reptile.  smile.gif


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

post #6282 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

What... the... frak... blink.gif

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/florida-couple-addicted-coffee-enemas/story?id=18433235

 

blink.gif And I've yet to start dinner...

post #6283 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

One more:

 

An airborne currawong is brilliant!

beerchug.gif

post #6284 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

blink.gif  And I've yet to start dinner...

Courtesy of my wife, she sent it to me during lunch. eek.gif I <3 her dark and quirky sense of humor.
post #6285 of 21760

Talking about objectivism and subjectivism, I did once post on the Anime thread that the MDR-1R is only worth it if you are willing to spend extra on an aftermarket cable. I know this because I've tried an 1R with the stock cable and compared it with a Mogami Quad Microphone Cable and the sound was quite noticeably better on the Mogami cable. The bass is more controlled and the treble is a bit more defined.

After I posted this remark on the Anime thread, obviously someone then began to mumble that cables don't make jack of a difference and that it's just snake oil. I didn't want to argue back then but my point is, believing if cables make a difference kind of determines if you're on the objective or on the subjective camp. I believe that high end cables do make a difference up to a certain price point. Even Tyll, to a certain point, believes that it does make a difference even if his measurements between different cables seems to contradict him.

I tried 2 different ALO cables for my HE-500, a custom 16 braid Reference 16 cable and the Salty Pepper cable. The Ref 16 did make the sound lusher and more laid back but it did have a much broader and more realistic soundstage.

If cables didn't make a difference, then we would have coat wire hangers as cables on the HD800.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2