Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 368

post #5506 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Start really small. If you don't even know how to solder, build some cables. Then read up on how circuits work (how deep you want to go in that route is up to you; at the very least, know what the different parts are supposed to do even if you don't learn principles of electronics).

Build a couple simpler amps. It's OK if they're not your long-term goal; the point is to have a simple circuit that you built from scratch and figured out how to diagnose and fix on your own. The beta22 and sigma22 are incredibly complex with high parts counts; if you don't have experience, you'll probably mess something up -- if you don't know how to diagnose what you did, you'll have very expensive scrap.

(Edit: Oh yeah -- the sigma22 is a hefty power supply; screw something up and you can do anything from blow household circuit breakers to kill yourself. By starting small, the worst you can do is ruin a $3 op-amp, melt a battery, or sting and burn yourself a little.)
Or that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

@ MrViolin - Quit while you're ahead tongue.gif
Oh :3 never knew you could kill yourself from working on one of them. Thanks for the heads up!
Max... your option is much more appealing now...
Do you know how I could start on building cables?
post #5507 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


Thanks. As earth-shatteringly shocking as it is, i have never finished Spirited Away, but it does feel familiar somehow.

eek.gif I don't really watch anime, but I've seen and enjoyed Spirited Away.

post #5508 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post



Oh :3 never knew you could kill yourself from working on one of them. Thanks for the heads up!
Max... your option is much more appealing now...
Do you know how I could start on building cables?

DIY cables thread in the DIY section.

 

Basically, get a soldering iron, some cardas quad solder, some mogami//canare/starquad and some jacks. You can also learn to braid if that's your preferred look.

 

Ideally for DIY amps, wires, etc you'll want to have a multimeter as well.

post #5509 of 21404
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

DIY cables thread in the DIY section.
Basically, get a soldering iron, some cardas quad solder, some mogami//canare/starquad and some jacks. You can also learn to braid if that's your preferred look.

Ideally for DIY amps, wires, etc you'll want to have a multimeter as well.
thanks gangster biggrin.gif
post #5510 of 21404

There's also the DIY cable FAQ. If you have questions, feel free to PM.

post #5511 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

There's also the DIY cable FAQ. If you have questions, feel free to PM.

Thanks ardgedee!

post #5512 of 21404

Well it's official my Sony MDR EX 600's are back on top as my number one IEM. With the CLAS db and ALO RX MKII in the chain it has a more realistic tonality then the K2 sp. Seems the grain up top gets cleaned up a bit and the bass when needed steps forward and steps back and behaves when it isn't needed. I'm also really liking how the mids sound with this combo. I'm noticing some subtle micro details I didn't notice when I didn't have Raven around. It became quite obvious when I did some close listening to Ronin Barsch's Stoa CD. I still think the K2 sp has the better upper mid to lower high transition and sibilant songs sound better on it then the EX600. I'm going to try some close listening with Eva back in the chain. My K2 sp for whatever reason always seemed to synergize better with Eva then with Itoru.

post #5513 of 21404
Sort of an eye opening video done by a Japanese artist. I had no idea there were so many detonations, and especially had no idea France was so prolific in testing. Oh and that USSR/Russia nuked so many different places.
post #5514 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Sort of an eye opening video done by a Japanese artist. I had no idea there were so many detonations, and especially had no idea France was so prolific in testing. Oh and that USSR/Russia nuked so many different places.

 

I recall a friend who worked on various U.S. government tech projects in the 80s and 90s saying that when he had to travel internationally, his employers considered it a lot more problematic for him to visit France than China. The American popular cultural notion of France doesn't resemble much their apparent status within infosec and military circles.

post #5515 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Sort of an eye opening video done by a Japanese artist. I had no idea there were so many detonations, and especially had no idea France was so prolific in testing. Oh and that USSR/Russia nuked so many different places.
 

You have to consider what these tests have done to our environment. It's really sad because the only reason these tests were done is because of human stupidity (war, and the threat of it) and our planet must suffer for it.

post #5516 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post

You have to consider what these tests have done to our environment. It's really sad because the only reason these tests were done is because of human stupidity (war, and the threat of it) and our planet must suffer for it.

Very little in comparison to the kinda of environmental damage needed to sustain a 1st world country or industrialise a country like Brasil, India or China.

post #5517 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

Very little in comparison to the kinda of environmental damage needed to sustain a 1st world country or industrialise a country like Brasil, India or China.

rolleyes.gif china and india...

post #5518 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

rolleyes.gif  china and india...
All you have to know about China is their car market for the last 10-15 years to make that plainly apparent. Went from nothing to massive production albeit their homegrown cars are still awful.

Popular definition is first world being a modern civilized developed country which China is and sort of is still becoming. The truth is China is a second world country in that it is not aligned with the US and it's affiliated counties.

The outdated three worlds model:


Edited by Maxvla - 2/3/13 at 5:56pm
post #5519 of 21404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


All you have to know about China is their car market for the last 10-15 years to make that plainly apparent. Went from nothing to massive production albeit their homegrown cars are still awful.

Popular definition is first world being a modern civilized developed country which China is and sort of is still becoming. The truth is China is a second world country in that it is not aligned with the US and it's affiliated counties.

The outdated three worlds model:

Good times in human geography... periphery(3rd)/core(1st) and the 2nd world countries. Indeed china is in the middle, though the country is "rich", lots of people still live on rice paddies. You're correct indeed that it's been developing. 80% of their x year economic plans have succeeded/have a success rate of 80%. They've been moving fast.

post #5520 of 21404

Anyone tried the Hisound Nova N1 or N3? They look very fancy and are fairly cheap as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2