- 10,158 Posts. Joined 3/2011
- Location: Selected Ambient Hype 85 - 92
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
To actually be able to wear the G430, I have to actually place the entire right earcup behind my right ear, so I might as well be using a mono headset, it's very uncomfortable to wear normally. Mic...
To put it bluntly, I'm never buying another Logitech headset ever again. Logitech is well aware of the issues that these headsets have, and still continue to produce defective merchandise/software....
Sound Quality Since I do not have another speaker tap to compare I'm not sure how to tackle this as SQ will be highly dependent on whatever amp you pair it with. No noise attributable to...
Introduction: The Aune X1S is a product that has piqued my interest since its release. After getting the chance to hear the B1 amp, Aune was a company I kept my eyes out for. This X1S...
The Introduction Well, lovely citizens of head-fi, I am finally ready to bring you the review of the new T50RP mod by ZMF Headphones, known as the ZMF Omni. It is a semi-open headphone that...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 339post #5071 of 217601/26/13 at 1:12pmI'm wondering, for those that have heard/used/owned the MDR-7550, where can I go from there for similar signature and a bit more isolation than that.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5072 of 217601/26/13 at 1:27pm
That's a tough one lol. I've been asked this question before and really not sure what would be the same sound in another universal or Custom :). Maybe consider Westone 4 but they won't be the same per se. Both are on the neutral side though.
post #5073 of 217601/26/13 at 2:11pmpost #5074 of 217601/26/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
The friend who let me borrow his Tera Player also sent his ToGo 334 along, and I thought I'd share what I wrote to him today:
"Damn these are great IEMs! The refinement and smoothness in their midrange is stunning and even surpasses my UERM. And the best thing is, it doesn't come at the cost of detail, nothing gets smeared or glossed over, they just have an unoffensive and effortless way of presenting music in minute detail without sounding analytical in the least. It's been a while that I've had that LCD2 rev2 loaner I told you about, but from memory these two bear more than a passing resemblence to each other.
That said, like with the LCD2s, I personally would want a smidgen more treble presence and air from the 334s to fit my taste, and while the Tera Player can't work wonders on their highs, it takes the bass down by just the right amount to tilt their overall sound signature towards a better balance in my book.
So that's my interim result so far, one 'flawed' player and two IEMs that benefit greatly from said 'flaw' ;-) Things aren't always black and white, and your loaners are a prime example for that."
Edited by james444 - 1/26/13 at 3:05pmpost #5075 of 217601/26/13 at 4:11pmpost #5076 of 217601/26/13 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
That full-name logo's pretty jarring.
I think if I get another pair of customs they'll be the freq-phased JH13's, but I don't use IEMs when it's cold out so there's no rush.
I'm not sure how I feel about the NAD M51 yet. There's a bit more detail than my old configuration, I think, but it doesn't feel like as big of a leap as I had hoped. The treble weirdness I was talking about somewhere does seem to have subsided, though. From what I've read on various sites it seems like I may have been hearing some aspect of sub-optimal Sabre use. It's probably worth noting that I don't hear this with the Conductor, so maybe Burson was onto something with their decision not use all 8 channels.
What input are you using into the M51, and are you outputting via xlr? Which dac are you referring to that has the treble issue?
The NAD didn't really change with burn in. It sounded excellent out of the box and was more than a subtle improvement over the Gungnir. I do find quite a difference in sound between usb and optical, more striking than other dacs I've owned. Some people swear by hdmi, but I've yet to try that. My MBP has thunderbolt but I don't like the notion of having a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter in the chain.
Obviously the degree of difference between dacs will vary based on what you've upgraded from. Perhaps your path meant that the jump in quality between components was not as large as mine. Even if that were the case for me as well, the end result (i.e. an HD800 chain with little to fault) would have justified it.
Edited by olor1n - 1/26/13 at 4:38pmpost #5077 of 217601/26/13 at 6:10pm
PC -> Aqox USB Power Supply -> Stello U3 -coaxial-> M51, outputting via XLR to my Balancing Act. I upgraded from the same configuration with a W4S DAC-2, whose treble sounded off to me.post #5078 of 217601/26/13 at 6:21pm
Forget that the leap isn't as big as anticipated. Does that chain now present, or get you closer to, what you wanted to hear from the HD800? Have you tried going straight into the M51 inputs (sans the converter)? I don't know about the effect of these converters but I've read elsewhere that some have preferred the sound without (not specifically in regards to the Stello).post #5079 of 217601/26/13 at 6:32pm
Yeah, they do sound just a bit more coherent since I added the M51.
I haven't tried it sans Stello yet. I might actually try AES/BSU out of the Stello first since I've read that NAD has a preference for that input. I don't have any reason to believe the Stello has much of a sound signature; adding it to the DAC2 just made things a bit cleaner.post #5080 of 217601/26/13 at 7:17pmQuote:
Driver 8, did the Aqvox USB power supply make a noticeable difference in your audio chain? I'm using my Stello U3 directly from the computer using a twin USB cable. I wonder if isolating dirty computer noise and feeding clean 5V would really make an improvement.post #5081 of 217601/26/13 at 7:23pmpost #5082 of 217601/26/13 at 7:28pmpost #5083 of 217601/26/13 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
Yeah, they do sound just a bit more coherent since I added the M51.
I haven't tried it sans Stello yet. I might actually try AES/BSU out of the Stello first since I've read that NAD has a preference for that input. I don't have any reason to believe the Stello has much of a sound signature; adding it to the DAC2 just made things a bit cleaner.
So nad m51 was more coherent than W4S dac2? I'm using AudioGD's top sabre dac at the moment, I want to try out the m51. I could probably order it next week but I want to sell my He6 first so I don't eat into my savings. I also want to try wireworlds top usb cable and bel canto's new usb transport. I feel like getting the m51 first though in case they decide to change the aussie rrp.post #5084 of 217601/26/13 at 8:35pm
Am I alone in thinking that the new Harley Quinn figurine that Square Enix is releasing looks way to....well demented industrial gangland goth?
Don't get me wrong it looks like a very nice detailed figurine but come on that's not the Harley I grew up with in the comics. The Arkham Asylum video game Harley was rather neat but this one gives me mixed feelings.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/26/13 at 8:37pm
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998 39 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO’s 2015 Slogan Translation Contest 5 minutes ago
- › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 6 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 6 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 7 minutes ago
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Rolls PM57 Headphone Tap by BeatsWork
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2