- 9,327 Posts. Joined 3/2011
- Location: Land of looking for work
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread Last post on 4/12/14 at 4:37pm in Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours
- Basically im becoming less of a basshead.Interested in srh440.comparable to these sets? Last post on 3/22/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading Koss amp Last post on 3/20/14 at 12:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy Denon D2000 (+ compared with Fidelio X1)? Last post on 3/21/14 at 3:23am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
Edit1: Supposedly you have to burn this in for a while and you have to leave it on constantly to warm up or whatever according to the manual, but I wrote the review below after only about an hour...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 339post #5071 of 213921/26/13 at 1:12pmI'm wondering, for those that have heard/used/owned the MDR-7550, where can I go from there for similar signature and a bit more isolation than that.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5072 of 213921/26/13 at 1:27pm
That's a tough one lol. I've been asked this question before and really not sure what would be the same sound in another universal or Custom :). Maybe consider Westone 4 but they won't be the same per se. Both are on the neutral side though.
post #5073 of 213921/26/13 at 2:11pmpost #5074 of 213921/26/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
The friend who let me borrow his Tera Player also sent his ToGo 334 along, and I thought I'd share what I wrote to him today:
"Damn these are great IEMs! The refinement and smoothness in their midrange is stunning and even surpasses my UERM. And the best thing is, it doesn't come at the cost of detail, nothing gets smeared or glossed over, they just have an unoffensive and effortless way of presenting music in minute detail without sounding analytical in the least. It's been a while that I've had that LCD2 rev2 loaner I told you about, but from memory these two bear more than a passing resemblence to each other.
That said, like with the LCD2s, I personally would want a smidgen more treble presence and air from the 334s to fit my taste, and while the Tera Player can't work wonders on their highs, it takes the bass down by just the right amount to tilt their overall sound signature towards a better balance in my book.
So that's my interim result so far, one 'flawed' player and two IEMs that benefit greatly from said 'flaw' ;-) Things aren't always black and white, and your loaners are a prime example for that."
Edited by james444 - 1/26/13 at 3:05pmpost #5075 of 213921/26/13 at 4:11pmQuote:
What DAC are you using now?post #5076 of 213921/26/13 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
That full-name logo's pretty jarring.
I think if I get another pair of customs they'll be the freq-phased JH13's, but I don't use IEMs when it's cold out so there's no rush.
I'm not sure how I feel about the NAD M51 yet. There's a bit more detail than my old configuration, I think, but it doesn't feel like as big of a leap as I had hoped. The treble weirdness I was talking about somewhere does seem to have subsided, though. From what I've read on various sites it seems like I may have been hearing some aspect of sub-optimal Sabre use. It's probably worth noting that I don't hear this with the Conductor, so maybe Burson was onto something with their decision not use all 8 channels.
What input are you using into the M51, and are you outputting via xlr? Which dac are you referring to that has the treble issue?
The NAD didn't really change with burn in. It sounded excellent out of the box and was more than a subtle improvement over the Gungnir. I do find quite a difference in sound between usb and optical, more striking than other dacs I've owned. Some people swear by hdmi, but I've yet to try that. My MBP has thunderbolt but I don't like the notion of having a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter in the chain.
Obviously the degree of difference between dacs will vary based on what you've upgraded from. Perhaps your path meant that the jump in quality between components was not as large as mine. Even if that were the case for me as well, the end result (i.e. an HD800 chain with little to fault) would have justified it.
Edited by olor1n - 1/26/13 at 4:38pmpost #5077 of 213921/26/13 at 6:10pm
PC -> Aqox USB Power Supply -> Stello U3 -coaxial-> M51, outputting via XLR to my Balancing Act. I upgraded from the same configuration with a W4S DAC-2, whose treble sounded off to me.post #5078 of 213921/26/13 at 6:21pm
Forget that the leap isn't as big as anticipated. Does that chain now present, or get you closer to, what you wanted to hear from the HD800? Have you tried going straight into the M51 inputs (sans the converter)? I don't know about the effect of these converters but I've read elsewhere that some have preferred the sound without (not specifically in regards to the Stello).post #5079 of 213921/26/13 at 6:32pm
Yeah, they do sound just a bit more coherent since I added the M51.
I haven't tried it sans Stello yet. I might actually try AES/BSU out of the Stello first since I've read that NAD has a preference for that input. I don't have any reason to believe the Stello has much of a sound signature; adding it to the DAC2 just made things a bit cleaner.post #5080 of 213921/26/13 at 7:17pmQuote:
Driver 8, did the Aqvox USB power supply make a noticeable difference in your audio chain? I'm using my Stello U3 directly from the computer using a twin USB cable. I wonder if isolating dirty computer noise and feeding clean 5V would really make an improvement.post #5081 of 213921/26/13 at 7:23pmpost #5082 of 213921/26/13 at 7:28pmpost #5083 of 213921/26/13 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
Yeah, they do sound just a bit more coherent since I added the M51.
I haven't tried it sans Stello yet. I might actually try AES/BSU out of the Stello first since I've read that NAD has a preference for that input. I don't have any reason to believe the Stello has much of a sound signature; adding it to the DAC2 just made things a bit cleaner.
So nad m51 was more coherent than W4S dac2? I'm using AudioGD's top sabre dac at the moment, I want to try out the m51. I could probably order it next week but I want to sell my He6 first so I don't eat into my savings. I also want to try wireworlds top usb cable and bel canto's new usb transport. I feel like getting the m51 first though in case they decide to change the aussie rrp.post #5084 of 213921/26/13 at 8:35pm
Am I alone in thinking that the new Harley Quinn figurine that Square Enix is releasing looks way to....well demented industrial gangland goth?
Don't get me wrong it looks like a very nice detailed figurine but come on that's not the Harley I grew up with in the comics. The Arkham Asylum video game Harley was rather neat but this one gives me mixed feelings.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/26/13 at 8:37pm
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The Basshead Club 10 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 13 seconds ago
- › Full-Sized Bass headphones??? HELP ME!!!! 33 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 47 seconds ago
- › Quality of Vsonic IEMS 1 minute ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Phase 2: Desktop vs Portable listening... 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Burson Audio - Conductor SL 9018 - Headphone Amp and DAC by ag8908
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob