- 8,629 Posts. Joined 3/2011
- Location: FREEDOM!!!
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me decide!! HipHop/RAP BASS LOVER!! Last post on 12/3/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- entry level Bassy headphones Last post on 11/9/13 at 1:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB/LF: Koss ESP950 Last post on 11/5/13 at 11:34am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Best headphones under 150 for Rock, Grunge, Punk, etc? Last post on 11/9/13 at 8:52am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
The purple edition of this headphone is a hidden gem. Most people see me wearing these and assume I am some unacknowledged sheeple. While this is possible, I would attest to the argument that these...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 339post #5071 of 199411/26/13 at 1:12pmI'm wondering, for those that have heard/used/owned the MDR-7550, where can I go from there for similar signature and a bit more isolation than that.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5072 of 199411/26/13 at 1:27pm
That's a tough one lol. I've been asked this question before and really not sure what would be the same sound in another universal or Custom :). Maybe consider Westone 4 but they won't be the same per se. Both are on the neutral side though.
post #5073 of 199411/26/13 at 2:11pmpost #5074 of 199411/26/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
The friend who let me borrow his Tera Player also sent his ToGo 334 along, and I thought I'd share what I wrote to him today:
"Damn these are great IEMs! The refinement and smoothness in their midrange is stunning and even surpasses my UERM. And the best thing is, it doesn't come at the cost of detail, nothing gets smeared or glossed over, they just have an unoffensive and effortless way of presenting music in minute detail without sounding analytical in the least. It's been a while that I've had that LCD2 rev2 loaner I told you about, but from memory these two bear more than a passing resemblence to each other.
That said, like with the LCD2s, I personally would want a smidgen more treble presence and air from the 334s to fit my taste, and while the Tera Player can't work wonders on their highs, it takes the bass down by just the right amount to tilt their overall sound signature towards a better balance in my book.
So that's my interim result so far, one 'flawed' player and two IEMs that benefit greatly from said 'flaw' ;-) Things aren't always black and white, and your loaners are a prime example for that."
Edited by james444 - 1/26/13 at 3:05pmpost #5075 of 199411/26/13 at 4:11pmQuote:
What DAC are you using now?post #5076 of 199411/26/13 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
That full-name logo's pretty jarring.
I think if I get another pair of customs they'll be the freq-phased JH13's, but I don't use IEMs when it's cold out so there's no rush.
I'm not sure how I feel about the NAD M51 yet. There's a bit more detail than my old configuration, I think, but it doesn't feel like as big of a leap as I had hoped. The treble weirdness I was talking about somewhere does seem to have subsided, though. From what I've read on various sites it seems like I may have been hearing some aspect of sub-optimal Sabre use. It's probably worth noting that I don't hear this with the Conductor, so maybe Burson was onto something with their decision not use all 8 channels.
What input are you using into the M51, and are you outputting via xlr? Which dac are you referring to that has the treble issue?
The NAD didn't really change with burn in. It sounded excellent out of the box and was more than a subtle improvement over the Gungnir. I do find quite a difference in sound between usb and optical, more striking than other dacs I've owned. Some people swear by hdmi, but I've yet to try that. My MBP has thunderbolt but I don't like the notion of having a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter in the chain.
Obviously the degree of difference between dacs will vary based on what you've upgraded from. Perhaps your path meant that the jump in quality between components was not as large as mine. Even if that were the case for me as well, the end result (i.e. an HD800 chain with little to fault) would have justified it.
Edited by olor1n - 1/26/13 at 4:38pmpost #5077 of 199411/26/13 at 6:10pm
PC -> Aqox USB Power Supply -> Stello U3 -coaxial-> M51, outputting via XLR to my Balancing Act. I upgraded from the same configuration with a W4S DAC-2, whose treble sounded off to me.post #5078 of 199411/26/13 at 6:21pm
Forget that the leap isn't as big as anticipated. Does that chain now present, or get you closer to, what you wanted to hear from the HD800? Have you tried going straight into the M51 inputs (sans the converter)? I don't know about the effect of these converters but I've read elsewhere that some have preferred the sound without (not specifically in regards to the Stello).post #5079 of 199411/26/13 at 6:32pm
Yeah, they do sound just a bit more coherent since I added the M51.
I haven't tried it sans Stello yet. I might actually try AES/BSU out of the Stello first since I've read that NAD has a preference for that input. I don't have any reason to believe the Stello has much of a sound signature; adding it to the DAC2 just made things a bit cleaner.post #5080 of 199411/26/13 at 7:17pmQuote:
Driver 8, did the Aqvox USB power supply make a noticeable difference in your audio chain? I'm using my Stello U3 directly from the computer using a twin USB cable. I wonder if isolating dirty computer noise and feeding clean 5V would really make an improvement.post #5081 of 199411/26/13 at 7:23pmpost #5082 of 199411/26/13 at 7:28pmpost #5083 of 199411/26/13 at 7:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by driver 8
Yeah, they do sound just a bit more coherent since I added the M51.
I haven't tried it sans Stello yet. I might actually try AES/BSU out of the Stello first since I've read that NAD has a preference for that input. I don't have any reason to believe the Stello has much of a sound signature; adding it to the DAC2 just made things a bit cleaner.
So nad m51 was more coherent than W4S dac2? I'm using AudioGD's top sabre dac at the moment, I want to try out the m51. I could probably order it next week but I want to sell my He6 first so I don't eat into my savings. I also want to try wireworlds top usb cable and bel canto's new usb transport. I feel like getting the m51 first though in case they decide to change the aussie rrp.post #5084 of 199411/26/13 at 8:35pm
Am I alone in thinking that the new Harley Quinn figurine that Square Enix is releasing looks way to....well demented industrial gangland goth?
Don't get me wrong it looks like a very nice detailed figurine but come on that's not the Harley I grew up with in the comics. The Arkham Asylum video game Harley was rather neat but this one gives me mixed feelings.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/26/13 at 8:37pm
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 44 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 50 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Which Porcupine Tree \ Steven Wilson Album? 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 304 IEMs compared (Clear Tune Monitors WLS-5... 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage AKG K240 Sextette amp question 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser PC360/PC363D, other headsets, and sound cards 6 minutes ago
- › Analog Paper^2 Discussion and Appreciation Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi