or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 314  

post #4696 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Wild, what exactly is it?


I think it's some kind of line-in/out, ADC/DAC type deal?

post #4697 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post


I think it's some kind of line-in/out, ADC/DAC type deal?


Interesting, sometimes I can't help but admire Japanese business and how they create a product with both flare and tradition. Whatever it is it's gorgeous.

post #4698 of 21760

Not enough silver and platinum. 

 

I was thinking of adding the LCD-3's to my tentative FS list, but man, they they've really got something going for them off the Conductor.  The TH900's work really well in this rig too, but the bass becomes kind of boastful, whereas the LCD-3's just have a healthy confidence to them.  They'd be out the door if the ECBA was the only dynamic amp I used because the TH900's just outperform them there, but the Conductor's different and not something I see myself getting rid of any time soon*.

 

I'm starting to feel like the HD800's would be more redundant if I go SR009 this semester, but... I find them novel.  I have that thing from that cool Sennheiser ad and I don't want to give it up.  And I'm curious to see how much better they'll become if I buy some dude's mod kit that's coming out sometime.

 

-Edit-

 

I keep thinking tom is jgray, although I'm certainly one to talk as I've changed avatar gimmicks a few times myself.

 

*Man, really though, Conductor -> LCD-3 makes me almost as happy with these Audez'e as Tyll or that other guy who secretly tapes his wife in the dark and takes pictures of himself grabbing his junk.


Edited by driver 8 - 1/15/13 at 8:29pm
post #4699 of 21760

It's kind of been on my mind (I've seen it), but I was wondering: did Sony stop w/ the bio-cellulose because it was unprofitable or it stopped working after x amount of years? I also liked their auto adjusting headbands, too. Much better than today's much more common extenders, but I'm not sure why they stopped with those :s

post #4700 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

Not enough silver and platinum. 

 

-Edit-

 

I keep thinking tom is jgray, although I'm certainly one to talk as I've changed avatar gimmicks a few times myself.

 

This is actually my first anime avatar, interestingly enough, but I had to pay homage to a Monet-chan overcome by excessive environmental noise. I might stick Jude's face on a Zero Dark Thirty poster one of these days, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post  It's kind of been on my mind (I've seen it), but I was wondering: did Sony stop w/ the bio-cellulose because it was unprofitable or it stopped working after x amount of years?

 

Perhaps both? VSONIC seems to have found a way to make it profitable, at least. The durability factor should most likely be the reason why Sony is going with liquid crystal rather than dead tree bark these days.

post #4701 of 21760
I read driver's post when I just woke up, and I felt kind of honoured to have been mistaken for someone else. I think.

Also if anyone here have read anything about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga; as unlikely as that can be, considering its age; I implore that you must watch the adaptation. If the manga is rated 10/10, then the anime is 13/10.

Just pointing out that I am a massive fanboy of the series, but it's been a loooong time since there's a shounen show this good. If you thought Gurren Lagann runs on rule of cool, then this runs its rule of cool on rule of cool.

Sorry for the massive fanboygasm. tongue.gif
post #4702 of 21760
Thread Starter 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #4703 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Wild, what exactly is it?

Looks like an Apogee Duet type of thing, but with black and gold filagree and a $1,000 pricetag.
post #4704 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


Do they offer it for audition? If so, maybe you could just go and try them, and then order them through Amazon.jp? That would be most sensible IMO.

Doesn't that strike you as being at least a little wrong - how about going on a job interview, having them ask you "how would you do X", and then thanking you for your answer, and telling you there was never a job available, they just wanted your help for free???

post #4705 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzman View Post

Doesn't that strike you as being at least a little wrong - how about going on a job interview, having them ask you "how would you do X", and then thanking you for your answer, and telling you there was never a job available, they just wanted your help for free???

 

 

I don't know about you, but personally I would much rather someone listen to a dedicated display unit to determine whether he/she likes the sound of something than simply buy something without hearing it first and possibly end up returning it.

 

In a job interview, there is an unspoken understanding between participants that a position is being offered. I have a sneaking suspicion that the folks at Jaben, by contrast, realize most people listening to the demo units aren't going to end up buying the product. Yet they offer them anyway, and in a sense they benefit because it attracts people to the store.

post #4706 of 21760
Hmm.... well it depends on the person I think. I haven't felt too attached to them much, so I've no qualms about it. But I can see your point though. I guess if I want it then and there, I would've just bought it from them. I don't know, I prefer to save whenever I can, if it that meant doing like that, I guess.
post #4707 of 21760
It depends on the operation, really. Businesses like Jaben also operate online, so they can afford to welcome walk-ins who intend to buy elsewhere, because they will equally benefit from people who bought from them after trying in-person at a competitor's shop.

Smaller operations, particularly boutiques which trade in exclusive products like audio, jewelry and fashion, don't enjoy the same balance of traffic.
post #4708 of 21760
The job interview analogy is an apt one, btw: Particularly in the design and software industries, it's a known thing for companies to use prospective hires for free work under the guise of a tryout -- they can't actually say "ha ha, we weren't hiring" afterwards, since that's obvious fraud and easy to go after in court, but a well-set-up operation can string along an unfathomable number of "job candidates" for free work while hiring a small number of them (without retroactive compensation for what they did during the application process).
post #4709 of 21760

The one time I auditioned something in a store (the whole Grado SR line) I'll admit I was tempted to order it off Amazon and save $10 in tax but I felt kind of shiesty about that and ended up buying them there.  $10 isn't a whole lot, though.  I'd be much more hesitant to buy something like a PWD MKII in store and pay nearly $400 in taxes, but I probably wouldn't go to Music Direct to audition one either as PS Audio 30-day no questions asked return policy for that specific purpose. 

 

Unless you guys have something like that set up already.

post #4710 of 21760
Thread Starter 

I don't think the job analogy is apt, because that's clearly a criminal action whereas trying a demo unit regardless of your intention is far from stringing someone along. If you're asking someone to take a product out of its box to demo it, sure. However an allocated demo unit is another matter entirely: it's there to be used, whether you do so or not. I find it much more troublesome that there are people who buy products from Amazon.com.jp to audition them, ie. their not knowing whether they want to keep it or not. Or in some cases have no intention of keeping it but just want to hear it. I've received more than a few items that seemed to have been used despite their being sold as new. If someone can try an allocated demo unit at another store before buying from an online retailer, then I'm all for it. 

 

Buying audio equipment without hearing it is an inherently risky proposition, and not everyone has the means of going to meets or trade shows. So long as you don't treat the store like a trade show and go around listening to a bunch of stuff you can't afford just for the hell of it, I don't really see a problem with using allocated floor equipment to gain insight into what you're looking for. The stores in turn gain traffic and publicity. Also I'm not talking about appointment-only demos: Jaben to my knowledge offers demos of more expensive items if you arrange it first, and in that case, yeah, you should intend to buy it there if you like it because you're taking up someone's time. Someone is having to work to provide you with a demo (which does go back to the job analogy) versus just trying something that is there on display.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2