Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 292

post #4366 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

A friend of mine convinced me to get one of those Kindle Fire HD things.  I was hesitant to get into the whole tablet scene, but I find myself using the Wii U as a web browser quite often, so maybe it's time.

 

*cough* blackberry playbook *cough*

post #4367 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

1000

1000

 

....So beautiful.

 

Agreed, but what are those random things sticking out? The pillar to the front left of the platter in the first photo, in particular? I assume the triangular thingies in the second photo are screw-in handles for installing/removing the platter, but I'd love to know for sure, because man that looks weird.

 

I like skeletal turntables, but almost more for the aesthetic design challenge they present. A classic slab plinth is arguably difficult to mess up: You make one that's more or less pleasing and well proportioned, but mostly it's just a box. In a skeletal turntable, the working bits are exposed and now you have to build working bits that both look and work well. This is where some of the Italian designs you posted a while back didn't work for me: Very impressive and futuristic, but the wow factor is kind of militating against the machinery. The designs of the Clearaudio turntables are completely over-the-top, yet their forms are in service of their function even if in a very theatrical way.

 

There's also the housekeeping factor: If dust accumulates on your amp, you have a dusty amp. If dust accumulates on your Goldmund Reference, now you have dust in the drive mechanism and it might be a service issue. (On the one hand, I imagine that if you can casually afford a Goldmund Reference, you probably have housekeepers; on the other hand, do you let just anybody touch your carefully calibrated turntable?)

post #4368 of 21453

Re: ECBA "whale calls"

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

I'm going to try another 6SN7 I already own next time I use it and maybe order a backup pair of 6X4 rectifiers because they're really cheap.  The PX-4's, though, are too expensive to just buy another pair for the hell of it.  I also don't think it's either of them because the hum doesn't belong to a particular channel (they're in a pair because they correspond with the 2 channels... right?), rather it's centered every time.  The PX4's were also thoroughly tested.  Like, they came with measurements and ****.  So maybe it's the single driver tube?

 

Honestly, given the fact that it happens .0005% of the time I'm listening (2 seconds every hour or so), I don't care enough to start ******* with it a lot or send it back.  It's just strange, is all.  I'll email Craig if anything else starts happening, though.

 

@DF: I'm really particular about where I set this stuff up.

 

I think I've used the amp for about 4 hours since doing this and I have yet to hear the noise.  I'm hoping this solved the problem.  The 6SN7 I got with it was kind of crooked, so I wouldn't be surprised if something was wrong there. 

 


 

The ECBA's tube sockets are set so that neither the branding of the KR PX-4's or the Shuguang Treasure I'm using is visible from the front.  I kind of like it this way; it leaves the awesome nomenclature of the amp on its own.  It also seems appropriate for the Treasure since none of its sonic characteristics are imparted, as far as I can tell.  Purrin (I think?) was right when he said the driver tube doesn't matter, which makes sense as it comes with some $20 oem one. 


Edited by driver 8 - 1/3/13 at 6:01pm
post #4369 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

I think the Flat4-SUI is actually pretty reasonable at $400, as it competes fairly well with IEMs costing three times as much, at least to my ears. But then value is subjective.

 

The Flat4-Maple is twice as much, and I doubted whether I should have splurged on it, but when I finally saw it my doubts evaporated. It is quite simply the most exquisitely presented IEM I've ever seen, usurping the Audio-Technica CKW1000ANV which previously held that distinction. The added cost comes from Oak Village's woodwork which is frankly sublime: the shells of the IEMs and the display box are heirloom quality. The amount of time, care, and artisan skill that went into producing these is where the added cost is coming from, and while some people aren't going to care about that, I personally find it delightful.

 

They're probably going to only make a handful of them, basically just a special edition to celebrate the success of the Flat4 which has been quite popular in Japan. They've been selling out in local shops, as Ocharaku is a small operation and only makes a small batch of them each month.

 

I think it's deserving of recognition, myself. One of the few IEMs I feel strongly about enough to defend. The engineering the went into it is pretty impressive, and I think they largely succeeded in eliminating nasty resonances. The treble is bright, however to my ears it stops short of becoming too hot or sibilant; I could understand it being problematic to someone with high sensitivity to certain frequencies. However there are many other IEMs with hotter treble. The bass is actually a bit too prominent on some tracks for my tastes, but again it's extremely clean and well behaved. It doesn't encroach into the midrange and gum up the rest of the sonic spectrum. The Flat4 has a definite U-shaped signature, but I personally feel it's one of the most refined and well-executed U-shapes in portables today. It has the virtue of being somewhat chameleonic, though not as much as the TG 334; it will only get bassy on those tracks that call for it, and it manages to be somewhat transparent despite its obvious coloration.

 

These are just my findings, of course. I do however think your post is the first I've ever seen calling the Flat4 rubbish. If you get the chance to try it again at a different store and with a different source, I would suggest trying it. Since it comes standard with Comply foam tips and was pretty much engineered to use them, fit could play a very large role in these sounding differently. I find the most common problem arising from a sub-optimal fit is thinner, harsher sound.

 

I never said it was rubbish, I implied that it was not my cup of tea. And I was more shocked with the price of the Maple one TBH. I do think that the build quality is very nice but because I'm used of the fitment and ergonomics of Shure IEMs, I found that it didn't fit me well but then again, I tried them quickly because time was running short and I needed to go fast. If I've got the chance, I will try them again and maybe the second hearing will be different than the first one.

I also tried the TG 334 once and I think that it's an IEM done absolutely right.

post #4370 of 21453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

Agreed, but what are those random things sticking out? The pillar to the front left of the platter in the first photo, in particular? I assume the triangular thingies in the second photo are screw-in handles for installing/removing the platter, but I'd love to know for sure, because man that looks weird.

 

 

The pillar to the front left is a detachable lamp for illuminating the tracks on the record.

 

Those little triangular things... I'm not so sure. I assumed they were for removing the platter as you say, or maybe for placing a cover over it?

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

There's also the housekeeping factor: If dust accumulates on your amp, you have a dusty amp. If dust accumulates on your Goldmund Reference, now you have dust in the drive mechanism and it might be a service issue. (On the one hand, I imagine that if you can casually afford a Goldmund Reference, you probably have housekeepers; on the other hand, do you let just anybody touch your carefully calibrated turntable?)

 

I like Rega's solution for the RP8: the skeletal portion can be mounted inside a rectangular plinth and still retain the anti-vibrational benefits due to some suspension system, so it's the best of both worlds. Then you can use a standard dustcover on the larger outer frame. When you want to look suave just dismount it again.

 

Rega claims the "make the base as heavy as possible" approach is actually wrong, and that the plinth should be as light as possible while the platter should be the heaviest part. In my own experience however, I've found heavier bases work better. I suppose it could be due to another factor, and that heavy plinths are merely correlated to less vibrations in those cases.

 

My favorite in the uber-ridiculous category is still the Basis Work of Art. It has a rectangular form rather than the Dalek-type cylindrical approach.

 

 

 

1000

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

 

I never said it was rubbish, I implied that it was not my cup of tea. And I was more shocked with the price of the Maple one TBH. I do think that the build quality is very nice but because I'm used of the fitment and ergonomics of Shure IEMs, I found that it didn't fit me well but then again, I tried them quickly because time was running short and I needed to go fast. If I've got the chance, I will try them again and maybe the second hearing will be different than the first one.

I also tried the TG 334 once and I think that it's an IEM done absolutely right.

 

Right, I misread your comment about the XBA-4 being rubbish as the Flat4.

post #4371 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

*cough* blackberry playbook *cough*

RIM... eww. redface.gif I can't agree with that.
post #4372 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

The pillar to the front left is a detachable lamp for illuminating the tracks on the record.

Those little triangular things... I'm not so sure. I assumed they were for removing the platter as you say, or maybe for placing a cover over it?

They keep the platter locked down when not in use, that way you don't have to adjust and recalibrate all the time.
post #4373 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

 

 

1000

 

 

blink.gif

blink.gifblink.gif

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

 

When I look at that picture I can't help but think German WWII torture device. Sorry MF I'm really not trying to troll your post it's just.......well......holy shiznik what an odd looking turntable!?!?!?!?

post #4374 of 21453

MuppetFace, I have one of these:

 

 

 

 

It works well enough for me...

 

...as a dustcollector.

 

 

 

I ALMOST FORGOT... (Click to show)

 

 


Edited by Coq de Combat - 1/3/13 at 9:38pm
post #4375 of 21453

I have a turn table I've never used before despite owning a decent number of vinyls because I'm lazy.

 

It looks like a turn table, but if it looked more like that German thing I'd probably feel inclined to use it.

 


 

My dad wants to give me an old ass horn speaker my grandpa built.  I'm kind of excited.


Edited by driver 8 - 1/3/13 at 9:34pm
post #4376 of 21453
post #4377 of 21453
Fun time waster for the musically inclined:

http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/

my first symphony: http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/_/h0.0.k.10.40a.20.5.40.800.4k.10.100a.820.5.40.0

my revision due to riots at the symphony hall: http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/_/10.400.80k.10.100a.20.405.840.0.44k.10.180a.k20.5.1840.0

link one you made.. go!
Edited by Maxvla - 1/3/13 at 11:35pm
post #4378 of 21453
Also.. finishing watching Claymore again all in 3 sittings.. this is such a good anime.
post #4379 of 21453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Fun time waster for the musically inclined:
http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/
my first symphony: http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/_/h0.0.k.10.40a.20.5.40.800.4k.10.100a.820.5.40.0
my revision due to riots at the symphony hall: http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/_/10.400.80k.10.100a.20.405.840.0.44k.10.180a.k20.5.1840.0
link one you made.. go!

Thanks for that. It's very cool. This is my first try: http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/_/1000.40g.80.0.200.2.4.8.100.100.i0.22.64.108.0.0

post #4380 of 21453

This is interesting. And what's even more interesting is that from the looks of it, it seems that they mixed in a few of MeeGo's swipe UIX.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2