or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 276  

post #4126 of 21760

I don't really know what a Sextette is worth so I wouldn't know if that is fine or not. Hopefully I can hear a "Sex on my head" soon.

post #4127 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I don't really know what a Sextette is worth so I wouldn't know if that is fine or not. Hopefully I can hear a "Sex on my head" soon.


They range anywhere from 120 to 180 depending on  the condition. This one looks almost brand new. The pads are in almost perfect condition and the headband was replaced awhile back and also looks and feels brand new. The cabling is also perfect. I've had these headphones on my head various times at meets the drivers are in prime shape. Even the AKG markings on the cups are in good condition with no sign of fading

post #4128 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

I just got the price. Looks like I'm soon to be a proud Sextette owner.


WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

post #4129 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post


WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT


When he messaged me asking if I was interested in his AKG that's what i said after reading the PM lol. I've been waiting for him to message me back but haven't gotten anything for the last 30 minutes. I guess he's gone offline and has crashed for the night. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

 

@Bowei006

 

If you want to know more about the Sextette THIS overly long thread is pretty imformative.

post #4130 of 21760

When I had my Crack, I looked for a good pair of those so long :(

post #4131 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

If that wasn't enough something else just happened. Talk about new beginnings for a new year, I just sold my DT1350 as of 5 minutes ago. I feel like I just lost an old friend:confused_face:
How would you describe it? My first time with it left me with a mediocre impression,but i recgnise that the dt1350 has inconsistent qc.
post #4132 of 21760
I'm still debating whether i would want to focus my energy to hunting a pair of akg historical headphones, and which one for that matter. The akg k340 is still somewhat haunting me at the back of my mind, but so is the sextette.
post #4133 of 21760
Thread Starter 

The problem with vintage AKG is that there's a ridiculous amount of variation (at least three versions of the K240 and maybe five or six of the K340?), so unless you're buying from another head-fier who knows his/her stuff or get a change to hear 'em yourself, it's a crapshoot.

 

My Sextett is from the middle of the run or "MP" version. It sounds good, but TBH it's nothing special to my ears. I have no idea which K340 I have---and I suppose I should check---but it sounds amazing to me. A different version of the K340 however might sound mediocre.

 

One vintage AKG that you rarely hear about is the K280 or "Parabolic." I personally find these a lot more interesting and fun to listen to than the K240, as their driver setup makes for a very unique presentation I haven't quite heard anywhere else.

post #4134 of 21760
Thread Starter 

This morning I'm thinking about getting the JVC HA-FXZ200...

 

I liked the FXD80 and was sort of "meh" about the FXT90L....

post #4135 of 21760

K280 hasn't had as positive a rep. I don't remember why offhand -- probably partly specifically because it's one of the non-Sextetts made during the Sextett era, partly because it's one of AKG's weirder non-flagship designs, which tends to drive away the punters. I remember considering getting one a couple years ago; for some reason they were trading frequently on Ebay for fairly cheap at the time, again probably specifically because they weren't Sextetts.

 

Wouldn't mind listening to one, though.

 

I have a couple Sextetts, a K240 and a Realistic-badged K250. The K250 sounds subtly better, but it's also heavier and less comfortable.

 

The Sextett came out around the midpoint of the solid-state monster receiver war. Even though it should play nice with solid state (and it sounds kind of soft and lacks impact without a whole lot of power behind it), the K240 never really sounded beautiful to me until I heard it through a vintage Fisher tubed amp. Like a good brandy or scotch it's something I don't want every day, but sometimes nothing else will do.

post #4136 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


How would you describe it? My first time with it left me with a mediocre impression,but i recgnise that the dt1350 has inconsistent qc.


Linear presentation, detailed mids with especially good vocals. Bass is quite good and detailed and goes deep. Boarders on analytical due to a very loaded treble but not overly harsh to my ears. Upper registers can be peaky in spots but shouldn't be a problem with good source. Can be quite sibilant with badly recorded source but with good source it's a wonderful listen. Sound is very lean and speed is quite good with very good note decay. Tonality can be a little off or at least it was to my ears and I've noticed a slight metallic tinge in the mids but the few times I've mentioned it on the Beyer threads people on there have told me to either stop drinking or clean out my ears so I stopped discussing tonality and generally stopped hanging out on Beyer threads. Note, I highly recommend you do the same. Fit is ultra important and I don't care what anyone says to sound their best the DT1350 should be amped. You can get away without amping but they won't sound their best. The best area where they shine the most would be vocals especially female vocals. The best genre(s) they do: symphony, symphonic rock, jazz, some electronica. Soundstage is good but not huge but good none the less. Instrument positioning is good and I'm having spacial cues firing up in exact spots all around my head making it easy to hone in on a certain instrument. Although soundstage is good width wise depth wise it's a little lacking meaning sound isn't as layered as it could be. End result, I'm not particularly liking how some live music sounds on it although live Pink Floyd seems to be the exception to the rule.

 

Biggest cons: with bad source will sound like utter crap especially in the highs, very fit dependent and if you don't get a proper fit the whole sound signature goes into the sewer

Biggest Pluses: gorgeous vocal representation, fast deep detailed bass, no mud in the lows

 

Be warned YMMV

P.S.

If any Beyer boys happens to read this I'm entitled to my own opinion so chill out before flaming me.


@MuppetFace

Thanks for the input but I still really like the K240. Want to join me in doing the AKG happy dance? I promise I won't step on your feet....much. I'll even let you lead if you want.wink_face.gif


Edited by DigitalFreak - 12/27/12 at 2:51am
post #4137 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

This morning I'm thinking about getting the JVC HA-FXZ200...

 

I liked the FXD80 and was sort of "meh" about the FXT90L....

 

I'm sure the FXZ200 sounds good, but it looks absurdly large. I'm torn.

post #4138 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Linear presentation, detailed mids with especially good vocals. Bass is quite good and detailed and goes deep. Boarders on analytical due to a very loaded treble but not overly harsh to my ears. Upper registers can be peaky in spots but shouldn't be a problem with good source. Can be quite sibilant with badly recorded source but with good source it's a wonderful listen. Sound is very lean and speed is quite good with very good note decay. Tonality can be a little off or at least it was to my ears and I've noticed a slight metallic tinge in the mids but the few times I've mentioned it on the Beyer threads people on there have told me to either stop drinking or clean out my ears so I stopped discussing tonality and generally stopped hanging out on Beyer threads. Note, I recommend you do the same. Fit is ultra important and I don't care what anyone says to sound their best the DT1350 should be amped. You can get away without amping but they won't sound their best. The best area where they shine the most would be vocals especially female vocals. The best genre(s) they do: symphony, symphonic rock, jazz, some electronica. Soundstage is good but not huge but good none the less. Instrument positioning is good and I'm having spacial cues firing up in exact spots all around my head making it easy to hone in on a certain instrument. although Soundstage is good width wise depth wise it's a little lacking meaning sound isn't as layered as it could be. End result, I'm not particularly liking how some live music sounds on it.

 

Biggest cons: with bad source will sound like utter crap especially in the highs, very fit dependent and if you don't get a proper fit the whole sound signature goes into the sewer

Biggest Pluses: gorgeous vocal representation, fast deep detailed bass, no mud in the lows

 

Be warned YMMV

P.S.

If any Beyer boys happens to read this I'm entitled to my own opinion so chill out before flaming me.


 

 

Lol I'm a "Beyer" boy because I love my dt1350s but I totally agree with what you said. I find that they also do well for all metal and house music (provided you're not a bass-head). A good source is really important, and I discovered while A/B-ing with my friend's O2 that it also scales well when amping. So far my only complaint after 1+ year of use is the comfort. It's really hard to have these on for more than 2 hours (2 hours is already stretching it). One thing I found weird though that every single dt1350 I've heard sounded the same, at least to my ears.

 

 

I am also very interested in the FX200 because I've been impressed by JVC's previous IEMs but with the ASG-2 coming my way I don't think I'll have enough "room" to keep them. They probably won't get enough ear time in the long run.


Edited by PhoenixClaw - 12/27/12 at 2:59am
post #4139 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixClaw View Post

 

 

Lol I'm a "Beyer" boy because I love my dt1350s but I totally agree with what you said. I find that they also do well for all metal and house music (provided you're not a bass-head). A good source is really important, and I discovered while A/B-ing with my friend's O2 that it also scales well when amping. So far my only complaint after 1+ year of use is the comfort. It's really hard to have these on for more than 2 hours (2 hours is already stretching it). One thing I found weird though that every single dt1350 I've heard sounded the same, at least to my ears.

 

You're generally pretty amiable but some Beyer boys aren't lol. Comfort for me was pretty good I could push around 3 hours but after that I had to give the top of my head a break. My temples and ears felt good though. Why do I see myself buying the DT1350's two or three years down the road

post #4140 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 

@MuppetFace

Thanks for the input but I still really like the K240. Want to join me in doing the AKG happy dance? I promise I won't step on your feet....much. I'll even let you lead if you want.wink_face.gif

 

 

With my graceless clodhoppers, it's more likely I'll step on yours.

 

Edit: Some vintage Audio-Technica's in the sales forum right now... with absolutely ridiculous asking prices IMHO. Like, the highest I've ever seen. Just a friendly warning.


Edited by MuppetFace - 12/27/12 at 3:41am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2