or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 257  

post #3841 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

 

1000

 

Ew! But I like it...

 

(curious about when people will question why I know that quote)

post #3842 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Very interesting..  Where can I find them?

 

 

Haven't seen any info on where they'll be sold, but if I had to guess I'd say the Dolce + Gabbana online store will carry them.

 

Took a look at the announcement post on DG's Facebook page, and it seems some folks are assuming the whole headset was designed by DG and that these are some revolution in headphone design or something. I know namebranding is powerful juju, but it's still a little surprising (just a little) to see certain people who have never heard of Grado Labs and would have probably not shown any interest in the GS1000 to begin with suddenly fawning over this because of the association.

 

Anyone up for an Armani HP1000?


Edited by MuppetFace - 12/18/12 at 6:47am
post #3843 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Grado is teaming up with Dolce Gabbana to offer some limited edition mahogany headphones. They look like re-badged GS1000 to me, but I'm curious if they've been tuned any differently.

Grado & Dolce Gabbana DS2012

700

700

MSRP: Around 1200 USD



The PS1000 is a fairly nice headphone despite its flaws, and for a while the GS1000 intrigued me as it was supposedly more airy both sonically and in terms of its lighter physical weight. Ultimately I stayed away from them however due to reports of their sibilance. If the DS2012 is tamed somewhat in comparison, then I'd be more interested in giving it an audition.

Still, as far as fashion headphones go, this doesn't really annoy me. I'm not feeling any self-righteous nerd rage or anything of that nature. If they can enkindle some interest in audio equipment, especially among women, I think that's actually pretty cool.

I wonder if your absence of ire towards this one is more to do with it being a Grado and less of it being made for fashion. But that's just assumptions from me, and I probably am wrong. I think, as far as fashion headphones go, this is one of the better one, but still can't help to think rationally that this is not going to work well in the open public space since it's going to leak in and out like crazy. I think that, since they are going to be partnering with some fashion brand, Grado should use something else instead of plastic for the holder thingies.
In other news I got my Apple Earpods. Just like the sound I heard the first time, and love it the same. Only it's not as flat and shallow physically as I would've thought and liked, so lying in bed on my side is possible with some discomfort setting in after a few minutes. Kind of sad at that, but oh well. Got it for one thing and one thing only: to read Saya no Uta in bed with it. Do yourselves a favour and don't google that please.

Oh it's going to be named Saya. Kind of like naming stuff. :3
Edited by jgray91 - 12/18/12 at 6:38am
post #3844 of 21760

Any cosmetic change at all besides the branding to warrant the $200 price hike would have been nice, but I agree it's more neat to see new people checking these out than nerd-rage worthy. 

 

Since my bike was stolen I never find myself using my RS1i's anymore.

 


 

I seem to hear a low pitch hum once an hour or so while listening to my BA... any idea what this would be or why it happens at such sparse intervals?  The thing will literally be silent for 59 minutes 58 seconds, but then buuuu and it's silent again.  The first two times I heard it I thought something was going on outside.  And then I thought I heard it coming from my speakers at one point when I was using those, but I'm not even sure. 

 

Maybe I'm schizophrenic but all the voices are whales.


Edited by driver 8 - 12/18/12 at 6:44am
post #3845 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

Any cosmetic change at all besides the branding to warrant the $200 price hike would have been nice, but I agree it's more neat to see new people checking these out than nerd-rage worthy. 

 

Since my bike was stolen I never find myself using my RS1i's anymore.

 

 

From the pictures, the finish on the DS2012's mahogany looks more lustrous compared to the GS1000i, but pictures of this type of stuff are pretty difficult to gauge, and it could be the result of lighting or enhancements. Or just natural variation in wood from one unit to the next.

 

When you read press release statements like "the aesthetic and Southern Italian tradition of Dolce + Gabbana meet Grado Labs' exquisite craftsmanship" you would think DG had more influence on the style than merely their name being added to the cups.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

I seem to hear a low pitch hum once an hour or so while listening to my BA... any idea what this would be or why it happens at such sparse intervals?  The thing will literally be silent for 59 minutes 58 seconds, but then buuuu and it's silent again.  The first two times I heard it I thought something was going on outside.  And then I thought I heard it coming from my speakers at one point when I was using those, but I'm not even sure. 

 

Maybe I'm schizophrenic but all the voices are whales.

 

How long does the hum last?

 

It sounds like it could either be an issue with the tubes or, more likely, the grounding in the room. That or it could be picking up noise from something nearby, a signal or the like.

post #3846 of 21760

About a second.  I really hope it's not the PX4's because they were really expensive.  The other tubes were cheap, though.
 

post #3847 of 21760

An isolation transformer will clear up any noise from the power grid. I use a Tripp Lite 500w unit on my audio setup. Background noise on the tubes disappeared.

 

And, the Zana Deux just shipped. Christmas will definitely be fun this year.

post #3848 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

About a second.  I really hope it's not the PX4's because they were really expensive.  The other tubes were cheap, though.
 

 

 

Well, tubes tend to make noises when they're settling in or warming up, and even after they're heated they can still make the odd noises here and there, so if it's the tubes it's not necessarily a problem. It seems more like you might be picking up some noise from the environment. If the noises keep bugging you, try moving the amp to a new location and see if it gets better or worse. Otherwise Craig will probably have a much better answer.


Edited by MuppetFace - 12/18/12 at 9:37am
post #3849 of 21760
Sounds almost like it would be cellphone interference. Unlikely unless your phone is less than a half meter away from the amp, though.
post #3850 of 21760

Will Ferrell is a clown

 

post #3851 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Sounds almost like it would be cellphone interference. Unlikely unless your phone is less than a half meter away from the amp, though.

 

I'd actually say it's about a meter away at most times.  Besides that are other things around that could be the culprit.

 

I'll try using it somewhere else... sometime.  This isn't offensive enough for to want to move the amp around right now.  In the mean time you two have given me some confidence in there being nothing horribly wrong with the amp itself.

 

Cool story: My Hifiman HM801 picks up radio signals sometimes which are barely audible when music isn't playing.


Edited by driver 8 - 12/18/12 at 9:27am
post #3852 of 21760
You could always build a Faraday cage around it... tongue.gif


post #3853 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


I wonder if your absence of ire towards this one is more to do with it being a Grado and less of it being made for fashion. But that's just assumptions from me, and I probably am wrong. 
In other news I got my Apple Earpods. Just like the sound I heard the first time, and love it the same. Only it's not as flat and shallow physically as I would've thought and liked, so lying in bed on my side is possible with some discomfort setting in after a few minutes. Kind of sad at that, but oh well. Got it for one thing and one thing only: to read Saya no Uta in bed with it. Do yourselves a favour and don't google that please.
Oh it's going to be named Saya. Kind of like naming stuff. :3

 

I think the absence of ire may be because ire towards a consumer product is irrational and Mupps is pretty rational lol.

 

I'm sorry that the earpods aren't comfortable on the side though. :( At least they are real cheap. 

post #3854 of 21760
Thread Starter 

How 'bout a Beats Audio Helmet?

 

 

 

1000

 

http://gizmodo.com/5969436/beats-by-dre-headphones-are-going-in-helmets-now

 

Can't beat beats for protecting your head from beats.

post #3855 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

How 'bout a Beats Audio Helmet?

 

 

 

1000

 

http://gizmodo.com/5969436/beats-by-dre-headphones-are-going-in-helmets-now

 

Can't beat beats for protecting your head from beats.


Capitalism at its best.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2