Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 247

post #3691 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

That's quite interesting. And as suggested make it modular; where it's easy to swap the driver out of different cups, with the same headband construction. Would fully support whoever does this, tbh.

Hmm that's something I wanted to ask both of you: FXD80 or 70? I'm feeling spend-ish because of my b-day, and I'm thinking of getting either one with the FXZ100. I just heard that the FXD80 is just too far out from what I'd allow to deviate from my preferred sound signature. But then if I'm going to use it like I plan to; that is as a gymphone; then bassy is quite okay too I guess since I'd only play upbeat, energetic songs with it. Suggestions and advice? Also, I'd asked Dsnuts and/or ericp, but the former is a notorious hypetrain master, and the latter seems a bit busy (I'll assume that out of good faith).

 

I totally want to get a Makerbot and start doing this kind of stuff lol. 

 

As for the FXD80 / 70; I've never heard the 70 but would love to. It's a really well designed IEM, and if you don't mind a strong bass tilt it's great. I use my 80 as my default carry around IEM - it's durable and small profile enough that I can always sneak it into my pocket just in case. I'd imagine the same would apply to the 70 but with more isolation. 

 

The FXZ100 seems like it might sound amazing but honestly those things are huge and at that point I would just wear headphones.

post #3692 of 21392

The internetz busiest music nerd's headphones

 


Edited by mutabor - 12/16/12 at 2:08am
post #3693 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

There are a lot of good headphones but if the modding community is so keen to transform the T50RP into a serious top tier contender, why not go the whole way and make it from the driver up?
I think that still more candidates are eligible, because the T50RP is in my eyes so damned ugly, that I would never wear it, no matter how good it sounds. wink.gif
post #3694 of 21392

J-gray, honestly the FXD80 gives me tinnitus at the gym, there's too much bass.  I prefer GR07 MK2 for the gym, with Teclast X19+, awesome setup.  Now I own the Clip+ (I bought two, actually...) and don't know what to think of them.

 

Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.  He seemed to dislike the FXD70, then again, he sold his FXD80, so perhaps he wasn't a fan of either.

 

The FXD80 is a love/hate IEM, but not in a good way like EX700, just in a bad way like "this is awesome" and then "oh, tinnitus..." lol.

 

It's not very source transparent, either.  It's a 'fixed' IEM that sounds pretty similar from everything.

 

Now, I don't want to give it a hard time, I mean, it is amazing... like... how can a single driver have so much F'n sub-bass and high treble anyway? basshead.gif  Oh yeah and I got the special edition leather case one directly from JVC. =) =)

post #3695 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post


I think that still more candidates are eligible, because the T50RP is in my eyes so damned ugly, that I would never wear it, no matter how good it sounds. wink.gif

 

Even at home?

post #3696 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post  Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.

 

Both the FXD70 and FXD80 have too much bass. What I remembered of the FXD70 was that it felt closed in compared to the FXD80, with more mid-bass, although almost everyone else seems to report otherwise. I dunno... I sold the FXD80 because it had an annoying 9-10 kHz peak that seemed to mask everything --- I called it the "anti-veil". It was only tamed either through EQ or through foam tips, both of which aren't what I prefer using during normal use. The depth at which I preferred inserting the FXD80 also caused me ear pain, and that was the main reason why I sold it. Otherwise, just like most say, it's a very capable little thing. kiteki's thoughts are pretty much in-line with mine. Sometimes I wonder if I sold it too quickly, but I don't really "miss" it in any sense of the word. I'm well past the days of intense aural stimulation for my earphones.

post #3697 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post


I totally want to get a Makerbot and start doing this kind of stuff lol. 

As for the FXD80 / 70; I've never heard the 70 but would love to. It's a really well designed IEM, and if you don't mind a strong bass tilt it's great. I use my 80 as my default carry around IEM - it's durable and small profile enough that I can always sneak it into my pocket just in case. I'd imagine the same would apply to the 70 but with more isolation. 

The FXZ100 seems like it might sound amazing but honestly those things are huge and at that point I would just wear headphones.
I think I'm up to a point that I don't really care for that kind of thing LOL. Also I do occasionally use IEMs when I'm at my desk, so even if it doesn't lend well outside, then it will compete with the 7550 I have for more home use. Thanks though, but I still am very wary of the bass tilt. But IME, I tend to appreciate more bass tilt outside, especially when in the subway. Because the noise the trains make will just drown out the bass and only leave the razor sharp knives of treble LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

J-gray, honestly the FXD80 gives me tinnitus at the gym, there's too much bass.  I prefer GR07 MK2 for the gym, with Teclast X19+, awesome setup.  Now I own the Clip+ (I bought two, actually...) and don't know what to think of them.

Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.  He seemed to dislike the FXD70, then again, he sold his FXD80, so perhaps he wasn't a fan of either.

The FXD80 is a love/hate IEM, but not in a good way like EX700, just in a bad way like "this is awesome" and then "oh, tinnitus..." lol.

It's not very source transparent, either.  It's a 'fixed' IEM that sounds pretty similar from everything.

Now, I don't want to give it a hard time, I mean, it is amazing... like... how can a single driver have so much F'n sub-bass and high treble anyway? basshead.gif   Oh yeah and I got the special edition leather case one directly from JVC. =) =)
I've heard the 07 mk2 back in Jaben-Malaysia, and IIRC I wrote in my notebook something like "F-ing perfect" or something. Hmm maybe I'll just save up a bit more and get a second late late bday present LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post

The internetz busiest music nerd's headphones


That is pretty humbling, at least to me. While sure he might not be the Typical Headfier Andy, it's still quite interesting to listen to that.
post #3698 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post

I think that still more candidates are eligible, because the T50RP is in my eyes so damned ugly, that I would never wear it, no matter how good it sounds. wink.gif

Reeeeally?

post #3699 of 21392
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post
I've heard the 07 mk2 back in Jaben-Malaysia, and IIRC I wrote in my notebook something like "F-ing perfect" or something. Hmm maybe I'll just save up a bit more and get a second late late bday present LOL.

 

The perfect... spoon to eat cereal with?  Then yes.  The perfect helicopter to invade underwater cities with then no...

post #3700 of 21392
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post  Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.

 

Both the FXD70 and FXD80 have too much bass. What I remembered of the FXD70 was that it felt closed in compared to the FXD80, with more mid-bass, although almost everyone else seems to report otherwise. I dunno... I sold the FXD80 because it had an annoying 9-10 kHz peak that seemed to mask everything --- I called it the "anti-veil". It was only tamed either through EQ or through foam tips, both of which aren't what I prefer using during normal use. The depth at which I preferred inserting the FXD80 also caused me ear pain, and that was the main reason why I sold it. Otherwise, just like most say, it's a very capable little thing. kiteki's thoughts are pretty much in-line with mine. Sometimes I wonder if I sold it too quickly, but I don't really "miss" it in any sense of the word. I'm well past the days of intense aural stimulation for my earphones.

 

Actually, my latest PM to you was a little incorrect, I don't know why I wrote that I want to streamline everything (like deadlylover, he only owns a STAX SR-007, that's it...).

 

The FXD80 is a really, super tasty piece of candy, inserted deep.  It's delicious for 10 minutes, in the right setting.  Then I move on... ^^

post #3701 of 21392
Hmm. Thanks. I guess I'll just save for the R07 mk2 and buy it later.
post #3702 of 21392
Im about 12 hours late but happy birthday jgray91
I hope you had a great day.
post #3703 of 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

Im about 12 hours late but happy birthday jgray91
I hope you had a great day.
Yep, made sure of that. Thanks. biggrin.gif
post #3704 of 21392
Thread Starter 

Anthony Fantano needs to learn to edit his videos, and I don't mean the overplayed Tim & Eric glitch skit-punctuation. He prattles on waaaay too long. I guess he's giving his dedicated legion of fans enough time to rub one out. Somas and xanies make that a little difficult....

 

 

 

700


Edited by MuppetFace - 12/16/12 at 3:52am
post #3705 of 21392
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Hmm. Thanks. I guess I'll just save for the R07 mk2 and buy it later.

 

Noooooo there are more interesting IEM's for your birthday present than a GR07 MK2 (imho), why not just get the FXZ200 like you intended?  It's a pretty cool looking IEM, and ericp10 said it makes him want to cry.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2