Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 231  

post #3451 of 21761
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Listening to them now alongside each other, you can definitely hear a family resemblance. The MDR-1R is a bit darker overall, because there is less of a treble peak and bass extends much deeper and tighter. Soundstage is wider and less congested as well.  It basically sounds like an iteration of the Z1000 with technical improvements and more agreeable tuning - which is what the MDR-1R is.

 

I think it's the right direction in terms of sound,but I hate the direction in terms of build quality.

 

Good sound, lousy build quality. Hmm... reminds me of the MA900. : p

 

The CD3000 was built like a friggin' tank. I wish I could find one in good condition (ie. the headband isn't completely trashed and they aren't recabled; seems like 90% of the CD3000 owners on head-fi recabled them ...). I'd love to do a "shootout" between the CD3000 / F1 / SA3000 / SA5000 / Z1000 / MA900 / 1R. Throw in the R10 and Q010 just for kicks.

 

Edit: Actually, no I wouldn't. I'm tired of A/Bing headphones.


Edited by MuppetFace - 12/13/12 at 12:26am
post #3452 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

Good sound, lousy build quality. Hmm... reminds me of the MA900. : p

 

The CD3000 was built like a friggin' tank. I wish I could find one in good condition (ie. the headband isn't completely trashed and they aren't recabled; seems like 90% of the CD3000 owners on head-fi recabled them ...). I'd love to do a "shootout" between the CD3000 / F1 / SA3000 / SA5000 / Z1000 / MA900 / 1R. Throw in the R10 and Q010 just for kicks.

 

Edit: Actually, no I wouldn't. I'm tired of A/Bing headphones.

 

It's not quite as bad as the MA900; the MDR-1R costs half as much as the Z1000 did and the build quality is commensurate. My complaint about the build quality is that Sony did not also make a 'high end' version of the MDR-1R with the same build quality as the Z1000. (Much like the SA3000 vs SA5000, or the ZX700 vs the Z1000). I suspect they just don't have the resources to do that given that the margin would probably end up being quite low. Or possibly they want to clarify their product lines.

 

Still, an all magnesium version of the MDR-1R would be so, unbelievably awesome.

 

Yeah, A/Bing headphones is kind of annoying. 

post #3453 of 21761
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

Edit: Actually, no I wouldn't. I'm tired of A/Bing headphones.

 

Precisely.

 

All you need is your FitEar Monet and those Moth / Cicada speakers.  Then you can play Castlevania and watch anime to your hearts delight, on a dark and dreary night, in ultraviolet light, without a single headphone in sight.

post #3454 of 21761
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

Precisely.

 

All you need is your FitEar Monet and those Moth / Cicada speakers.  Then you can play Castlevania and watch anime to your hearts delight, on a dark and dreary night, in ultraviolet light, without a single headphone in sight.

 

Unfortunately the Monet is looking like a no go. It will have to remain a goal for when I visit Japan in the future.

post #3455 of 21761
Speaking of the Z1000 build quality, damn is that thing nice. So fancy. So classy. So sleek. And yet, so durable.
post #3456 of 21761

Also, on semi-related note, the XB900 is the first headphone I have tried where it is bassy enough to give me an immediate headache. Everything else sounds reasonably competent but its so dark its painful. Who on earth could possibly want something like this lol.

post #3457 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Also, on semi-related note, the XB900 is the first headphone I have tried where it is bassy enough to give me an immediate headache. Everything else sounds reasonably competent but its so dark its painful. Who on earth could possibly want something like this lol.
smily_headphones1.gif
post #3458 of 21761

By the way Veyron, I've put up the UE6000's to go on their merry way... http://www.head-fi.org/t/640917/fs-logitech-ue6000-white-as-new

 

Is your Dad still keen? They have full warranty :3

post #3459 of 21761

oh ye, another thing I wanted to share with this thread, yesterday I visited a CD store called "audiophile", they literally only sold "audiophile CD's", as in HDCD, XRCD, DSD, 24-bit and so on.  There were some 'normal' titles too, but only if they were Jazz, female vocal, classical, lounge or instrumental (like solo Erhu, lute, piano etc.).

 

They were playing music on a pair of ~$10,000 Dynaudio speakers from a Marantz something-or-other, too.  Also, every CD store I've been to here, yes every single one, has an "audiophile" section in it, like that, as if that was a music genre category.  I've never actually seen this in western / european countries so I thought I'd share.

post #3460 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

oh ye, another thing I wanted to share with this thread, yesterday I visited a CD store called "audiophile", they literally only sold "audiophile CD's", as in HDCD, XRCD, DSD, 24-bit and so on.  There were some 'normal' titles too, but only if they were Jazz, female vocal, classical, lounge or instrumental (like solo Erhu, lute, piano etc.).

 

They were playing music on a pair of ~$10,000 Dynaudio speakers from a Marantz something-or-other, too.  Also, every CD store I've been to here, yes every single one, has an "audiophile" section in it, like that, as if that was a music genre category.  I've never actually seen this in western / european countries so I thought I'd share.

 

I've found in Asian markets the customers tend to be aesthete, perhaps in part because there is not as much stigma attached to conspicuous luxury consumption (compared to say, Australia). 

post #3461 of 21761

I've found that in Asian markets people are rich (well, 0.1% of them anyway) so the malls are more luxury and expensive here than in, say, Australia.  I can buy really expensive rice from Japan's best rice fields or whatever, or I can buy rice for 10 cents on the street, in Australia rice is rice and costs the same lol, just a random example.

post #3462 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I've found that in Asian markets people are rich (well, 0.1% of them anyway) so the malls are more luxury and expensive here than in, say, Australia.  I can buy really expensive rice from Japan's best rice fields or whatever, or I can buy rice for 10 cents on the street, in Australia rice is rice and costs the same lol, just a random example.

 

Well, the other issue is that Indonesia's population is 10 times Australia's. Couple that with more exagerrated income inequality and you could make a pretty big market for luxury goods.

post #3463 of 21761
Thread Starter 

The Koss ESP/10 came back, finally, after like three months of waiting for the seller to get them fixed.

 

It was worth the wait.

 

These things sound good. Like, shockingly good. They're from the late 70s, and I'm listening to them out of their included transformer (which is quite nice) using a $30 T-amp and some "speaker cables" that are literally scraps of wire.

post #3464 of 21761

I find the middle-class people here the most annoying since they're desperate to act rich.  At least the rich people and poor people act natural, apart from judging you like "how much is your apartment?", but since I'm a westerner they never really do that, except I'm young which is rare, and Asians seem to think I'm like 20-25 for some weird reason which makes it even worse.

post #3465 of 21761

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

/

These things sound good. Like, shockingly good. They're from the late 70s

 

really... damn...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2