Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 214  

post #3196 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Coffee upsets my stomach usually, but I used to drink it in the mornings to feel tough. I like smelling and brewing it more than drinking it however.

 

My partner as well. It's usually safe for me to make coffee at home because I'm doing it a couple hours before she's awake (and the kitchen and bedroom are at opposite ends of the house). But if I've got something fragrant brewing while she's in the kitchen it can upset her.

 

Strangely enough, she rarely has a problem with gutbucket swill like what comes out of coffee vending machines. It's usually better-quality stuff that makes her feel ill.

post #3197 of 21761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

In other news, I am doing unhealthy things to a VGA plug tonight. And I wish there was one of those hair straightener irons in the house.

 

Because science. Audio science voodoo type science.

 

Fascinating!

post #3198 of 21761

So I got a pair of UE6000's as part of my spree.

 

I'm actually pretty impressed as my expectations weren't particularly high. They sound a bit like the Momentum's with more treble, and at the same time a bit less definition. Build quality is a real standout, but they don't fit as snugly on my head as the momentums, partly because of their size and weight. I like how they fold up...

post #3199 of 21761

You're on a tear a_recording. Why the sudden buying spree? I'm surprised you like the Momentum headphones so much considering so many people on the boards are calling them overpriced for the sound signature.

post #3200 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

My partner as well. It's usually safe for me to make coffee at home because I'm doing it a couple hours before she's awake (and the kitchen and bedroom are at opposite ends of the house). But if I've got something fragrant brewing while she's in the kitchen it can upset her.

 

Strangely enough, she rarely has a problem with gutbucket swill like what comes out of coffee vending machines. It's usually better-quality stuff that makes her feel ill.

 


Idea: try cold brewing coffee and let her try it. My girlfriend has the same issue, she does 1lb of coffee to ~8 cups water. Leave it overnight, wake up in the morning and get some hot water (if you have a Zojirushi, ~175 is good for me, 195 some mornings, otherwise just leave water on a coffee burner), I usually mix 4-5oz of coffee concentrate and the rest water in a 12oz cup. She does around 2 oz in a 8oz. It has SIGNIFICANTLY less acid, which is what tears her stomach up. I know I love drip, but after about the 4th or 5th cup my stomach feels acidic.

 

French pressing your coffee might also help, but that may be placebo. Either way, it makes hella fine coffee.

 

Sometimes I feel I was made to work with liquids of all sorts. I'm a heavy conisseur of tea, pretty knowledgeable in coffee and mixed coffee drinks, and have a terrible urge to learn more alcoholic drinks. But despite being 22, it's not because I want to get wasted. The problem with espresso based drinks is very simple: the espresso and syrup itself. While I can make well over 2 dozen drinks from various methods of milk, to messing with syrups for long enough that I feel I do alchemy with them now, you still have two very definite flavors.

 

Any flavor combination has to work with the espresso, which is a very bold, powerful flavor. While it may have roasted, floral, or fruity notes depending on the bean source and roasting process, it by nature WILL NOT taste good with a lot of good flavors.

 

Secondly, syrups are commonly used for espresso drinks. This means no matter what flavor profile you are trying to create, it will be sweet. While I have experimented with extracts, zests, and DIY brews of herbs (ACTUAL HERBS), it still doesn't meet what I'm looking for with some ideas.

 

In comes alcoholic beverages. While some are indeed sweet, others carry the flavor of their natural counterpart without being disgustingly sweet. One of my personal favorites is Grand Marnier. As a born and raised Floridian, I have an addiction to citrus. While I do enjoy a double shot of espresso with orange zest and dark chocolate shavings on top, it doesn't hit the spot all the time, especially if I'm looking for something light. Grand Marnier invokes the citrus taste without being overly sweet. 

 

 

Now if only alcohol didn't have alcohol in it all the time T_T

post #3201 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

You're on a tear a_recording. Why the sudden buying spree? I'm surprised you like the Momentum headphones so much considering so many people on the boards are calling them overpriced for the sound signature.

 

I dunno why, but I feel like its because its Christmas time and the Christmas time sales mean that I could probably sell anything I don't like on the FS forum and not be very much out of pocket, if at all. I'm telling myself this point that I'm just paying a little to demo them. XD

 

As for the Momentum's, I think I am really loving them. I've always been in the camp for warmer / darker signatures, and I honestly feel like on Head Fi there is a slight bias against warmer sounding headphones because of the association with general over-bassy consumer stuff people are used to. Keep in mind that I also loved my SM3's (until I lost them), and they caused quite a lot of debate on the forum. I'm a real believer in 'actual detail' over 'apparent detail'; even if treble is recessed, a headphone can demonstrate its detail in the transient performance and real sense of visceral articulation in the sound; the kind of thing that makes guitar strums feel like they are popping out of a deep blackness. At the same time, I hate headphones with treble spikes and artificial resonances that present an illusion of detail.

 

I think the price is about right. The build quality is gorgeous and the comfort and weight are real plusses. 

post #3202 of 21761
Forgot to mention it here, but we have a new addition, my wife and I decided to become foster parents. Neither of us have had kids before, so this is a real adventure. Meet Emma, she's a little over 9 months old. She's investigating her nana's camera.





She's a real sweetheart. We do plan to adopt, she's actually related to my wife, distantly. Her bio parents are going away to a government "facility" for a very, very long time. The state basically tracked us down and said, "She's a relative, she's adorable. Take her, please." So, we did. Yay, poopie diapers and buckets of drool (she's teething). Being a papa is strange, but I'm digging it. cool.gif
post #3203 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I dunno why, but I feel like its because its Christmas time and the Christmas time sales mean that I could probably sell anything I don't like on the FS forum and not be very much out of pocket, if at all. I'm telling myself this point that I'm just paying a little to demo them. XD

 

As for the Momentum's, I think I am really loving them. I've always been in the camp for warmer / darker signatures, and I honestly feel like on Head Fi there is a slight bias against warmer sounding headphones because of the association with general over-bassy consumer stuff people are used to. Keep in mind that I also loved my SM3's (until I lost them), and they caused quite a lot of debate on the forum. I'm a real believer in 'actual detail' over 'apparent detail'; even if treble is recessed, a headphone can demonstrate its detail in the transient performance and real sense of visceral articulation in the sound; the kind of thing that makes guitar strums feel like they are popping out of a deep blackness. At the same time, I hate headphones with treble spikes and artificial resonances that present an illusion of detail.

 

I think the price is about right. The build quality is gorgeous and the comfort and weight are real plusses. 


Well enjoy then. Try and keep the Momentums from eating your hair though.

post #3204 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Forgot to mention it here, but we have a new addition, my wife and I decided to become foster parents. Neither of us have had kids before, so this is a real adventure. Meet Emma, she's a little over 9 months old. She's investigating her nana's camera.

She's a real sweetheart. We do plan to adopt, she's actually related to my wife, distantly. Her bio parents are going away to a government "facility" for a very, very long time. The state basically tracked us down and said, "She's a relative, she's adorable. Take her, please." So, we did. Yay, poopie diapers and buckets of drool (she's teething). Being a papa is strange, but I'm digging it. cool.gif

 

Aww, congrats! :3

 

 If only that were a verbatim quote from the state workers.

post #3205 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Well enjoy then. Try and keep the Momentums from eating your hair though.

 

And man you read that quickly!

post #3206 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Forgot to mention it here, but we have a new addition, my wife and I decided to become foster parents. Neither of us have had kids before, so this is a real adventure. Meet Emma, she's a little over 9 months old. She's investigating her nana's camera.

She's a real sweetheart. We do plan to adopt, she's actually related to my wife, distantly. Her bio parents are going away to a government "facility" for a very, very long time. The state basically tracked us down and said, "She's a relative, she's adorable. Take her, please." So, we did. Yay, poopie diapers and buckets of drool (she's teething). Being a papa is strange, but I'm digging it. cool.gif


Awww shes a little cutie. Congrats my friend

post #3207 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Forgot to mention it here, but we have a new addition, my wife and I decided to become foster parents. Neither of us have had kids before, so this is a real adventure. Meet Emma, she's a little over 9 months old. She's investigating her nana's camera.

She's a real sweetheart. We do plan to adopt, she's actually related to my wife, distantly. Her bio parents are going away to a government "facility" for a very, very long time. The state basically tracked us down and said, "She's a relative, she's adorable. Take her, please." So, we did. Yay, poopie diapers and buckets of drool (she's teething). Being a papa is strange, but I'm digging it. cool.gif

 

Gotta get a car seat for all those nice cars, yeah wink.gif

post #3208 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

As for the Momentum's, I think I am really loving them. I've always been in the camp for warmer / darker signatures, and I honestly feel like on Head Fi there is a slight bias against warmer sounding headphones because of the association with general over-bassy consumer stuff people are used to.

 

Yeah, you're right.  There is most definitely a bias against darker cans with an emphasis on appearance, for that very reason.  It is somewhat deserved though.  That's why I've been shying away from it.  So are you saying that Senn has successfully dealt with this balancing act via the Momentum?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post



She's a real sweetheart.

 

She is absolutely adorable!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

 

Gotta get a car seat for all those nice cars, yeah wink.gif

 

Oh you have NO idea...  Some of the car seats out there these days boggle the mind. 

post #3209 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

Gotta get a car seat for all those nice cars, yeah 


I have one of these:





and one of these:





She's set. biggrin.gif
Edited by Magick Man - 12/8/12 at 11:44pm
post #3210 of 21761
WARNING: Rant (Click to show)

You know, I'm really starting to feel put down concerning the poor attitudes of some people on the FS forums. Some dude messages me about my DT1350's asking to buy them for so much. I turn down the offer and offer a counter offer which meets halfway between his offer and my asking price. We chat concerning shipping and I give him a rough estimate on what it would probably cost to ship. He says he's interested but wants an exact shipping quote. I say alright and waste the little time I have getting the headphones weighed and measured by the post office for an exact quote. Did I mention I did this during my lunch break today and didn't have time to have a proper lunch due to getting this quote. I get the quote, which I may add is a couple of bucks cheaper then the estimate I gave him, get home message the potential buyer with the exact quote thinking it's a done deal. A few hours later the buyer messages me saying he won't buy them because he thinks the pricing is to expensive and then says he can get them brand new on eBay for so much. Interestingly enough the price he said he can buy them on eBay for is the original price he offered me in the beginning which I turned down. I look for myself on eBay, thinking the guy is full of it, and find absolutely nothing even remotely priced to what he claims he can get them for. I ask you ladies and gentlemen, do I have the word imbecile tattooed on my forehead? Yes I act a little wacky on here for the sake of a few laughs but I am far from a fool and really don't appreciated being treated like one. Why do some people insist on showing so little class?


Edited by DigitalFreak - 12/8/12 at 11:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2