Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 189  

post #2821 of 21761

How about the Fostex MadDog by Mr. Speakers?

 

 

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good and has a small cult following.

post #2822 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

I'm thinking of creating a small list of headphones (mid-fi, definitely not summit-fi) to buy. There should be a good amount of classics and good new models that isn't on my profile here, and most of them for good prices. Beyerdynamics (DT770 pro or 990 pro), Sony "mumble-mumble"-Z1000, Grado SR325-something, A few AKG models, Sennheiser HD600/650, and so on. There's a myriad of headphones to try and collect. Obviously, I can't go ahead and buy all of them at the same time, but perhaps see if I can portion this list over a year or so.

 

I spied a Sony SA5000 going for a good price on the FS forums this morning... I would skip the Z1000, it's no classic, nor a particularly great collectors item methinks.

post #2823 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I spied a Sony SA5000 going for a good price on the FS forums this morning... I would skip the Z1000, it's no classic, nor a particularly great collectors item methinks.

I thought most people liked the z1000? Oh well, there you go. My memory can't be trusted.

 

However, I'm not so sure I'd like to call it a collectors collection, so to say. My idea is to collect headphones I find intriguing rather than collecting them for the sake of collecting. I'm not going to call myself a collector, but maybe more an enthusiast wanting to have quite a few mid-fi options. Calling me a collector would be unfair to the lot of collectors out there. wink.gif

 

But, I might have to dig deeper into reviews before making my list.

 

 

Irrelevant (Click to show)

Man I'm having a bad day today. My mood is way down there next to my feet. There are lots of reasons for that, but it's okay. I'll survive.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

How about the Fostex MadDog by Mr. Speakers?

 

 

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good and has a small cult following.

 

That would be a nice addition I think. I've contemplated more than a few hundred times whether or not I should by myself a set, or two, of the infamous Fostex model to screw up. If someone else modded it, without screwing it up, that would actually be kind of good. But aren't they pretty expensive?


Edited by Coq de Combat - 11/28/12 at 3:38am
post #2824 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

I've contemplated more than a few hundred times whether or not I should by myself a set, or two, of the infamous Fostex model to screw up. If someone else modded it, without screwing it up, that would actually be kind of good. But aren't they pretty expensive?

Professional mods are expensive mostly because tuning is a time-consuming effort. I would not be surprised if most of the modders are only seeing a modest profit on their work.

I got to try somebody's homebrewed effort a year and a half ago at a meet and it was impressively good -- I recall its sound being similar to the LCD-2 in many ways, aside from less bass energy and extension. Also a lot more comfortable to wear than an LCD-2...

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a mod, or comparing the various professional mods. That and many other things I would like to do, you know how it goes.

Sorry your day sucks. Hope it gets better.
post #2825 of 21761

If the Fostex Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers has a small cult following and looks nice, and is made by some kind of speaker professional, I think the price is fine.

 

Just think about how much money people lose at casinos, and how much you haven't spent on CD's, which you really were supposed to.  Just buy it and be happy. =)

 

If I wake up early I might demo it tomorrow.

post #2826 of 21761
Anyone find it amusing that Mr. Speakers makes headphones? No? Okay, work is getting to me...
post #2827 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Sorry to hear they bit the dust. Did you at least get your moneys worth out of them


Yes, I feel that I did.  Nonstop commuting since I got them.  Ultimately, I think I pulled one of the cables too hard, and broke something internally.

 

If I continue to commute this way, I may shop around for IEMs with disconnecting cables.  I may start driving more, though.

post #2828 of 21761
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

I'm thinking of creating a small list of headphones (mid-fi, definitely not summit-fi) to buy. There should be a good amount of classics and good new models that isn't on my profile here, and most of them for good prices. Beyerdynamics (DT770 pro or 990 pro), Sony "mumble-mumble"-Z1000, Grado SR325-something, A few AKG models, Sennheiser HD600/650, and so on. There's a myriad of headphones to try and collect. Obviously, I can't go ahead and buy all of them at the same time, but perhaps see if I can portion this list over a year or so.

 

Keep an eye out for the new Philips Fidelio X1. I haven't seen any around yet, but they seem very interesting, and I like their design. The L1 was a good headphone for a bassy, euphonic type of sound. The X1 seems a bit more balanced overall.

post #2829 of 21761
Thread Starter 

The Jecklin Float QA is one of the nicest sounding headphones I've ever heard.

 

It has a lot of QC issues so far sadly. It's worth sending them back to be fixed however. They just may end up as favorites of mine. Could live with them all on their lonesome, if only they didn't have so many issues.

post #2830 of 21761
Shipped at last! How does it compare to the TakeT?
post #2831 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

The Jecklin Float QA is one of the nicest sounding headphones I've ever heard.

 

It has a lot of QC issues so far sadly. It's worth sending them back to be fixed however. They just may end up as favorites of mine. Could live with them all on their lonesome, if only they didn't have so many issues.

 

So... you are saying that all the attacks done to those "shills" were unwarranted and that the headphone truly is remarkable?

 

 

:-p

post #2832 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Professional mods are expensive mostly because tuning is a time-consuming effort. I would not be surprised if most of the modders are only seeing a modest profit on their work.
I got to try somebody's homebrewed effort a year and a half ago at a meet and it was impressively good -- I recall its sound being similar to the LCD-2 in many ways, aside from less bass energy and extension. Also a lot more comfortable to wear than an LCD-2...
I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a mod, or comparing the various professional mods. That and many other things I would like to do, you know how it goes.
Sorry your day sucks. Hope it gets better.
True.

Yeah, my day got better after a meeting with the IT-council. I got to present my work so far and they all seemed happy about it. That balanced things out for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

If the Fostex Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers has a small cult following and looks nice, and is made by some kind of speaker professional, I think the price is fine.

Just think about how much money people lose at casinos, and how much you haven't spent on CD's, which you really were supposed to.  Just buy it and be happy. =)

If I wake up early I might demo it tomorrow.
If you demo them, please enlighten me about their sound (you can do this with or without a picture, as long as I get the point). wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Keep an eye out for the new Philips Fidelio X1. I haven't seen any around yet, but they seem very interesting, and I like their design. The L1 was a good headphone for a bassy, euphonic type of sound. The X1 seems a bit more balanced overall.
Nice, I never jumped on the original Fidelio wagon, mainly because of an economical shortage. However, this christmas might end up...pretty good...since it'll be my first full pay from my job. We'll be getting about $3000 over after rent and other stuff, so a couple of headphones might not be impossible, even though it'd be a good idea to save some of it.
post #2833 of 21761
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

So... you are saying that all the attacks done to those "shills" were unwarranted and that the headphone truly is remarkable?

 

 

:-p

 

 

Not what I'm saying at all.

 

A shill is a shill by virtue of his/her actions. Just because the product in question turns out to be truly great for certain other folks doesn't mean that person isn't shilling. The problem was with the actions of that person, not the product.

 

Similarly people can find value in a certain philosophy while disagreeing with fundamentalists.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Shipped at last! How does it compare to the TakeT?

 

And it only took six months, too!

 

Compared to the H2+, it's more balanced sonically with a less exaggerated low-end, but it still has a lot of heft down below which sets it apart from a stereotypical electrostatic sound. I'd say paired with the Leben the bass response is perhaps a smidgen too emphasized, but I think it would even out with a more transparent amp. The sound "beams" at you like the H2+ and K1000, so it has that unique quality that sounds wide open but kind of in-between-the-ears at the same time. Doesn't quite have the H2+'s sense of presence or that piezo tonality. More like a 'stat overall.

 

Wobbles around like the H2+ when worn too, but is sturdier and not as ridiculous to wear.

post #2834 of 21761

BBK Vivo X1 is a phone for audiophiles, packs high-end DAC.

 

Engadget's design has changed to a fancy one. I like it.

 

BBK used to be very popular several years ago for their home-theater systems and multi-zone DVD players. Their products have disappeared from our shelves because this hardware is not popular anymore. 


Edited by mutabor - 11/28/12 at 12:27pm
post #2835 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


I shall await your impressions

I'm awaiting a truly smooth, enveloping, stereo warmth with pure accuracy and good treble.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2