- 9,236 Posts. Joined 9/2006
- Location: Just past the Pacifists of the Gandhi Nebula, then hang a left
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1416
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Interesting,I never knew about his disabled sons. The mans earned even more respect from me both as an artist and as a great human being.
Well, I may have passed up on the Pono but I've just pulled the trigger on a HE-400. I got an open box deal from headamp for 249 USD shipped to Canada with a pair of velour pads thrown in. Not a bad deal, here's hoping I like the HE-400. What I've read about it I'm guessing I will.
When you remove the earpads there should be a sticker with a number underneath which I believe is the serial. My one is marked "1241".
You're making claw hands!!
One of the main questions I brought up in my video was about proper mastering. Will these files on Pono Music be properly mastered or just the same old same old compressed stuff you can buy anywhere in 24 bit? That's the question I'd like a clear answer to right now.
This is actually the most intriguing bit to me - not the hardware, but the idea of a music store where they make sure everything they release is mastered nicely, or going back to do a remaster as necessary. Obviously not going to be cheap though.
I'm similarly interested in better mastering, not better playback or higher bit-ness. One thing that isn't brought up enough is the age and condition of the original source tapes for some of the older material. I'm anxious for somebody to produce proper masters of this material because there will eventually come a day when the original recordings will have rotted away beyond use, and the clock is ticking.
The first Genesis album* is one such case. It has never had a very good sounding digital release. The latest (circa 2008) remaster is probably the worst--it's a brickwalled, poorly mixed mess. Unfortunately, there are also dropouts and artifacts all over the place that are not present in earlier versions, meaning that the original recording is now irretrievably deteriorated. If somebody wanted to go through at a later date and finally produce a proper master, it would carry all these age-derived flaws, plus any new ones caused by further decay. As a consequence, there exists no truly excellent digital version of this album, and now there never will be one.
How many source recordings are at this stage now, and how many more will be there ten years from now?
*Trespass, not From Genesis To Revelation
If tapes are well-kept, they'll outlast us. There are a lot of recordings that are not well-kept, but many were not well-recorded to begin with, and the vinyl or CD end product was as good as could be hoped for.
The past two decades has seen a lot of restoration and reissue activity in rock, jazz and classical. There will be lost masterworks, and that will be bad, but the numbers are probably fewer than we think.
Are you suggesting that Warren and wink are young women?
We've seen pictures of Warren, at least.....it's pretty safe to assume he is indeed part of the male gender. Don't know about wink.....
If so I'm guessing Bangkok ;)...
Suppose they come up with a touch screeny version with a large enough display for comfortably watching videos. You could watch porno on your Pono. And that Toblerone shape would allow you to prop it up on the bedside table, no stand needed. Imagine!
Sooo... speaking of the Pono, tomscy2000 and I are going to be doing a live Google hangout shindig discussing the Pono player and our thoughts!
It's scheduled for 12:00 PM. GMT +10:00
The above embed is going to go live when the discussion starts but if you want to join in the actual Q/A you need to head over to the actual Youtube watch page EDIT: The Q&A functionality is a bit up in the air so I will have to work it out on the day....
It's going to be a live Q&A so I would love to see some familiar faces in the discussion :D
We're quite excited because this is something we've been thinking about doing for some time (the discussion format) and if it goes well we hope it can become, like, a thing.
Edited by a_recording - 3/19/14 at 2:52am
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hello + Computer audio advice 8 seconds ago
- › RE0/RE-400 filters - acoustically transparent? 25 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-,... 33 seconds ago
- › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution?... 42 seconds ago
- › Onkyo IE-FC300 Review & Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › LKS Audio MH-DA003 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2