- 6,624 Posts. Joined 9/2006
- Location: Just past the Pacifists of the Gandhi Nebula, then hang a left
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Really bass heavy headphones Last post on 6/15/14 at 7:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40 Last post on 7/23/14 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophone $699 Last post on 6/1/14 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Circumaural Headphone Cup Sizing Thread and the Tacophone Effect Last post on 6/7/14 at 11:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1416
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Interesting,I never knew about his disabled sons. The mans earned even more respect from me both as an artist and as a great human being.
Well, I may have passed up on the Pono but I've just pulled the trigger on a HE-400. I got an open box deal from headamp for 249 USD shipped to Canada with a pair of velour pads thrown in. Not a bad deal, here's hoping I like the HE-400. What I've read about it I'm guessing I will.
When you remove the earpads there should be a sticker with a number underneath which I believe is the serial. My one is marked "1241".
You're making claw hands!!
One of the main questions I brought up in my video was about proper mastering. Will these files on Pono Music be properly mastered or just the same old same old compressed stuff you can buy anywhere in 24 bit? That's the question I'd like a clear answer to right now.
This is actually the most intriguing bit to me - not the hardware, but the idea of a music store where they make sure everything they release is mastered nicely, or going back to do a remaster as necessary. Obviously not going to be cheap though.
I'm similarly interested in better mastering, not better playback or higher bit-ness. One thing that isn't brought up enough is the age and condition of the original source tapes for some of the older material. I'm anxious for somebody to produce proper masters of this material because there will eventually come a day when the original recordings will have rotted away beyond use, and the clock is ticking.
The first Genesis album* is one such case. It has never had a very good sounding digital release. The latest (circa 2008) remaster is probably the worst--it's a brickwalled, poorly mixed mess. Unfortunately, there are also dropouts and artifacts all over the place that are not present in earlier versions, meaning that the original recording is now irretrievably deteriorated. If somebody wanted to go through at a later date and finally produce a proper master, it would carry all these age-derived flaws, plus any new ones caused by further decay. As a consequence, there exists no truly excellent digital version of this album, and now there never will be one.
How many source recordings are at this stage now, and how many more will be there ten years from now?
*Trespass, not From Genesis To Revelation
If tapes are well-kept, they'll outlast us. There are a lot of recordings that are not well-kept, but many were not well-recorded to begin with, and the vinyl or CD end product was as good as could be hoped for.
The past two decades has seen a lot of restoration and reissue activity in rock, jazz and classical. There will be lost masterworks, and that will be bad, but the numbers are probably fewer than we think.
Are you suggesting that Warren and wink are young women?
We've seen pictures of Warren, at least.....it's pretty safe to assume he is indeed part of the male gender. Don't know about wink.....
If so I'm guessing Bangkok ;)...
Suppose they come up with a touch screeny version with a large enough display for comfortably watching videos. You could watch porno on your Pono. And that Toblerone shape would allow you to prop it up on the bedside table, no stand needed. Imagine!
Sooo... speaking of the Pono, tomscy2000 and I are going to be doing a live Google hangout shindig discussing the Pono player and our thoughts!
It's scheduled for 12:00 PM. GMT +10:00
The above embed is going to go live when the discussion starts but if you want to join in the actual Q/A you need to head over to the actual Youtube watch page EDIT: The Q&A functionality is a bit up in the air so I will have to work it out on the day....
It's going to be a live Q&A so I would love to see some familiar faces in the discussion :D
We're quite excited because this is something we've been thinking about doing for some time (the discussion format) and if it goes well we hope it can become, like, a thing.
Edited by a_recording - 3/19/14 at 2:52am
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 38 seconds ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1840 2 minutes ago
- › DT 770's 250 ohm, am I missing out? (Fiio E07K + 250ohm or 80ohm) 3 minutes ago
- › Westone w40 short review, includes pictures. 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack 7 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)