- 6,233 Posts. Joined 12/2010
- Location: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 vs Shure SRH750DJ vs Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 vs Ultrasone HFI 580 Last post on 3/12/14 at 4:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:16pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ~$1000 budget for Cans for on the go Last post on 3/5/14 at 12:10pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Beyerdynamic Clear Gel Pads Last post on 2/17/14 at 8:32am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1402post #21016 of 212192/26/14 at 8:16amBack in the day I used to crack up at Decters Laboratory. That cartoon ended way before it's time.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21017 of 212192/26/14 at 3:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
There is a long tradition of this in animation that goes back pretty much to the origins. Watch very old Popeye, Oswald the Rabbit, Betty Boop, Woody Woodpecker, etc and you will see a lot of content that wasn't aimed at children.
I was going to say the Felix the cat really isn't a kids show. At all. then I saw that you had linked an older one, which I didn't know existed. Thanks for that. Felix the cat from the 70's (?) is one of my absolute favorite cartoons. I used to watch it (and Cheech and Chong movies) with my uncle while smoking pot, good memories.
Anyways, yeah, cartoons and animated movies often do have references for adults. I remember those kinds of references running rather wild in the Ice Age movies, but I may be mistaken. The worst one (or best one, if you're like me) was Wreck-it Ralph though. If you were born early enough to have some experience with 80's and 90's video games, then that movie is a nostalgia galore -- deluxe edition. I mean, what other movie has Sonic, Pacman, that bartender game, and so on and so forth? There's just too many references to old video games to even try to namedrop. None of which kids of today would even understand. I tried explaining to Frank, but I guess memories and nostalgia aren't easily transferred through generations, LOL
As for modern cartoon shows, I really dig Frisky Dingo (it got cancelled though), venture bros, Adventure Time, Drawn Together, Archer, Futurama ... I suppose none of them are really meant for kids, except Adventure Time.
From one thing to another, I got delivery:
200 capsules of Nespresso (50 Masala Chai capsules aren't in the picture), 40 cans of Snus. Guess who's a lucky addict.
Oh, and I got some "medication" yesterday as well -- two months worth of different kinds of benso and stuff.
Edited by Coq de Combat - 2/26/14 at 3:55pmpost #21018 of 212192/26/14 at 5:04pmQuote:
Still and all, it sounds like the answer to your thoughts. There's at least one researcher in your lab who is interested in working with you.
You should take the opportunity while you can. Well, actually, you should start by discussing what the associate prof. had in mind, both with regards to his research and to your part in it. Working at research design and data analysis is a whole different thing from doing support work. You might like it more than what you're doing now. Worst case seems to me that you make your best effort, decide that it's not for you, and you can safely return to what you're currently doing, albeit with a greater understanding of the research and scholarship that your work supports.post #21019 of 212192/27/14 at 12:01am
I gotta say, my first impressions are like how I felt about the AKG K550 and the K701 - I can tell that this is a well executed, detailed sounding headphone - but there is something about the mids that I just am not really enjoying. It's this kind of zazzy dry texture that adds a sizzle to everything and to which I seem particularly sensitive to. It's not terrible on the K612 and I definitely think it's quite a good headphone, just not my cup of tea.
I guess I just love the easygoing nature of the MA900 with its subdued (but not swampy and rolled off) treble. I think I should probably buy some spare pairs of the MA900 since I adore it so much.
It seems like I have a thing for the Sennheiser house sound (the MA900 sounds remarkably like the lost Japanese cousin of some HD5XX or HD6XX series headphone).
I'm actually kind of happy because this helps me narrow down my purchasing decisions. Assuming that the K812 is tuned in a similar way, that's another headphone to cross off the list!post #21020 of 212192/27/14 at 12:06amSpeaking of cartoons that meant more to a more mature audience, try (if you can find it) Samurai Jack. Best non-anime anime. Hell, I'd say it's up there with my god-tier favourite anime shows.post #21021 of 212192/27/14 at 12:21amQuote:
+1 on this...was amazed at the quality of this cartoon.post #21022 of 212192/27/14 at 12:30ampost #21023 of 212192/27/14 at 6:17amQuote:Yeah, that's the problem with trying to go legit. You want to but they either make it really difficult to use said product after getting it... (always on internet connection, DRM, etc) or they don't produce enough of it so it's either spend a ton and/or trying to win it on eBay. Just makes you want to visit the Bay of Pirates for all your goods.
Decided to throw on an Asian Kung-Fu Generation album on my morning walk, haven't listened to it in a while. Brought back a lot of memories of jrock albums that I had, that I wish I still had. It might be sitting on a hard drive somewhere but I no longer have a desktop workstation to plug it into so I gotta find a cheap IDE enclosure, but the Frugal Asian Side is telling me that it's going to be a waste of money because I'd only use it just for that one purpose and not use it ever again. Maybe someone locally has one that I can borrow.......post #21024 of 212192/27/14 at 9:01ampost #21025 of 212192/27/14 at 9:21ampost #21026 of 212192/27/14 at 1:10pmQuote:
Num Heavy Metallic is still in my all time faves a decade later. I really like to listen to Ling To****e Shigure these days, really reminds me of At the Drive In.post #21027 of 212192/27/14 at 5:58pmpost #21028 of 212192/27/14 at 6:23pmpost #21029 of 212192/27/14 at 7:54pmpost #21030 of 212192/27/14 at 11:21pmI have a huge thing for Space Jam. I'm not too big on basketball, so I have none of the kind of fascination associated with the movie (and the theme song) and then the ensuing mythologization (hell, there was even RPG involving Jordan and Barkley, with a Kickstarter sort-of sequel of said game. Wish I was into basketball to get the massive mythology, but alas). But one thing I know is that I love how the song sounds:
Or at least the core of it. The beat is, to my taste, kind of boring. But the lyrics carried it for me. Also the nostalgic association that I may have watched it at some point during my childhood (we almost always got movies here very late, 2 years late or something; and if it's popular enough, the channels here would probably reair them).
But in the eyes of the internet, the basic, easy beat of the song makes it prime sampling candidate, a la Guile's theme. And thus, my obsession for Space Jam remixes and arranges with various anime songs, soundtrack, etc.
Some of my favourites:
Also the ensuing hilarity of Jordan's and Barkley's faces in anime wwwwwwwwwwwww. The reactions are either "lololololololololololololololololololol" or "GAH MY EYES GOD WHY" which adds to the enjoyment. And especially the anime quotes that people do by replacing certain words with b-ball related jargon.
Of course, then there's something like this:
and elevated it to a whole new level.
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Help me upgrade from my Audio-Technica ATH-A700 13 seconds ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 16 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 18 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 33 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 35 seconds ago
- › V-Moda M80 [Jack Issues] 43 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-03-14b2) 45 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 52 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude