Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1379  

post #20671 of 21761


The wonderful world of non-J-Pop anime songs.
post #20672 of 21761
Anyone tried the new XBA H1?
post #20673 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
 

 

Oddly he has perfect feedback. He seems to sell things like cassettes for stupid but not blazingly stupid prices, as well as "schematics" for his "designs." Mmhmm.

 

Perhaps it's some kind of commentary slash performance art? Or really just some guy who is bored and trolling, which is kind of the same thing only cruder?

 

Reminds me of Coconut Audio. Only Patrick was more obvious and funny.

Wow his site looks really good actually! I watched some of his uTube Videos... what a riot

 

Oh Muppet how did you enjoy the Didio 901! Do you have a link to your impressions up yet

post #20674 of 21761
Ordered the fiio e18 and ue 6000. Let's see how good they are.
post #20675 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Wow his site looks really good actually! I watched some of his uTube Videos... what a riot

 

I too enjoyed that site very much. How did you find it Mupps?


Edited by a_recording - 1/21/14 at 9:48pm
post #20676 of 21761
Patrick's site is one of the best audiophile sites on the net. Those crazy Swedes...

BTW, if you want to see where a Swedish cable genius lives, put this address in google maps and click on "street view"... wink.gif

Lysviksgatan 34 Farsta, 12342 SE

post #20677 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Wow his site looks really good actually! I watched some of his uTube Videos... what a riot

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

I too enjoyed that site very much. How did you find it Mupps?

 

Patrick (Coconut Audio) has been making performance art out of the woo side of audio for a few years now. He's been banned at least once from head-fi for trolling... probably suffice to say that there are enough people who don't consider him hilarious.

 

(edit: Heck, even head-fi goes offline for unscheduled maintenance when the conversation circles around him. Let's be careful out there.)

post #20678 of 21761

Patrick's antics were pretty funny from back in the day. I've run across the odd old thread where he was performing his schtick. Makes me wonder if he's still out there among the forums quietly smiling away while head-fi meanders along.

post #20679 of 21761
Back when I was a massive lurker, the occasional thread that have mentions of him, but not fully as some has been excised, confused the hell out of me. Also true of every other prominent banned person here obviously.
post #20680 of 21761
Anyone try the dt48? What does it sound like? Is it hard to drive?
Edited by veyrongatti - 1/22/14 at 2:05am
post #20681 of 21761

As you may or may not have noticed, I've been investing in larger headphones lately. The XB's, UE6000 and Nuforce HP-800 for instance. It's not that I don't like IEMs -- I do -- but it's more due to the fact that I feel somewhat content for time being with the X10's. Now, I wouldn't make the argument that the X10's are some giant killers or anything along those lines. They are definitely rightfully considered as mid-fi and nothing else. They are however so comfortable that I'm willing to stick to their sound quality. Unless something better comes along that is equally comfortable of course, then I'm interested, but to be honest, there aren't a lot of IEMs that are looking like they could fit the bill at the moment, and looking at the general design of IEMs these past years, there's nothing indicative that such a trend would be going on; IEMs seem to be of the same proportions now as they were yesterday, and with some of those universal CIEMs entering the market, it's almost as if they're getting bigger. Of course, there are some that look like they could fit the bill: Vsonic has one intriguing, FAD has a couple that look to be on the smaller side of things, and I'm going to try one of the Heavens some day. For the time being though, I'm content wwhere I am with the X10's. They're fine.

 

As said though, I'm interested in bigger headphones. For some reason I can't seem to be content with any of my headphones right now. Don't get me wrong, there's not a single one of them that I dislike. In fact, enjoy every single one of them quite a lot. However, they seem to take specialized places for me. There's no single headphone that doesn't have me wishing for something when listening to music. The D2000's, yeah I wish they had punchier and more bass. The Pro 900's that I sold, I wished they had mids to begin with (of course, I'm exaggerating here). The XB's, I wish they would be more refined while still having that bass for certain tracks and genres. The HP-800, I wish it would sound better with bass heavy music, but it doesn't. It sounds really good with music that isn't bass heavy, by adding some tasteful bass and punch to it, but as soon as the bass takes over in a song, it somehow loses that punch and starts slowly oozing out clouds of bass instead - and to be honest, I'd like for it to be a leafblower like the XB's with bass heavy music. The HD25-1 II are fine, but they lack refinement all over the place, and while I do enjoy their general sound signature, there are a lot of headphones I pick up before picking them up. Since they are so portable though, they have a well deserved spot in my stables, and as said, the sound isn't bad per definition, I just wish it was a bit better. The red line here is that I don't have a one headphone to rule them all.

 

I suspect I never will. The reason I am so content with the X10's is really mostly due it's size, but also because of the mere fact that I wear it perhaps 90-120 minutes a day. At the very most, that is. Commuting to and from work, so it's not even 90-120 minutes in one sitting, but divided in two with a workday inbetween. Should I wear it, 8-10 hours a day like I do with bigger headphones, I suppose I'd think of it differently; maybe a longer use would have me nagging about its sound quality as well. But I don't. They're fine.

 

I've began asking myself if I really would like to have that one headphone to rule them all. If it means that I would stop exploring the land of mid-fi, I don't know. If it means I would still continue exploring, then again, I don't know. There's something so final, so ultimate, about such a headphone, that I don't really know if I even want it. Part of the reason that I stick to this hobby despite it being perhaps a little more expensive than I really think would be appropriate for me and my family at this very moment, is the exploring and the enjoyment I find when I find something I like. To be honest, it's not very hard to find something I like -- I seem to be a lot more forgiving than a lot of other members around this forum. So the exploring is, and has been, a rather enjoyable part of my head-fi journey.

 

For my next headphones I'm thinking either the Philips Fidelio X1's (?), suggested by MuppetFace or the ever so hated Denon D600's. They seem to be in a price range I could afford, and they seem intriguing enough. But it'll have to wait for a while. I need time to both recollect my budget for head-filia, and to enjoy my latest findings, which I have to admit I haven't really gotten to do enough (when is enough?). I'm interested in other headphones as well, but I think those two are the most interesting for the time being.

 

Oh, and yeah, as said earlier, I ordered a FiiO E18 as well. I was on the fence about ordering an O2+Odac or a C5D, but I ended up going with the FiiO. The main reason was ultimately the price. The FiiO was £119 while the C5D is around $250 (or something) but then taxes and importing fees for it and meh... it'd become a seriously expensive thing for me out here in Sweden, I think. I haven't looked at the numbers, but $250 is already stretching my budget -- a lot. As for the O2+Odac, they're probably very good and all, but for some reason I can't get past the fact that you have all your cables on the front. I haven't gotten past that fact ever since I first saw it, so I reckon it's just one of those deals where I think it would irritate me ad nauseum. Also, the O2 + Odac is almost twice the price of the FiiO, so it was ultimately a pretty easy choice. I think the E18 will do me just fine, the E10 has so far, so yeah, I'm not too worried about it.

 

Ciao.

post #20682 of 21761

Well @coq, speak of the devil, I just finished my UE6000 review. I think they are decent for their current street price, but there's always been a lot of things about that headphone I'm not so keen on. Particularly the weight of the headphone. I wish they just made a version without the ANC electronics.

 

I think that Mid-Fi is totally where it's at at the moment. Lot's of innovation from all kinds of players. Why not check out the NAD Viso HP50? That seems to be making the rounds.

 

I would recommend the Beats Studio but honestly I've been using it and one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about it is that the only way to turn the thing off is to pull the cable out. There's no hard on-off switch - what I thought was the on-off switch apparently doesn't actually keep the unit off. This means that on multiple occasions now I've taken out to give it a spin only to find the battery is flat, and the stupid thing won't function at all without the ANC turned on. Maybe I'm just a forgetful idiot but this seems inhumanly stupid to me.

 

At least it charges quickly.

post #20683 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

Well @coq, speak of the devil, I just finished my UE6000 review. I think they are decent for their current street price, but there's always been a lot of things about that headphone I'm not so keen on. Particularly the weight of the headphone. I wish they just made a version without the ANC electronics.

 

I think that Mid-Fi is totally where it's at at the moment. Lot's of innovation from all kinds of players. Why not check out the NAD Viso HP50? That seems to be making the rounds.

 

I would recommend the Beats Studio but honestly I've been using it and one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about it is that the only way to turn the thing off is to pull the cable out. There's no hard on-off switch - what I thought was the on-off switch apparently doesn't actually keep the unit off. This means that on multiple occasions now I've taken out to give it a spin only to find the battery is flat, and the stupid thing won't function at all without the ANC turned on. Maybe I'm just a forgetful idiot but this seems inhumanly stupid to me.

 

At least it charges quickly.

I have a UE 6000 review floating here some where... or I should. I enjoyed the headphone more with ANC on, than off. Off sounded muffled and closed in to me honestly, some say with burn in the ANC off mode opens up, although with some somgs ANC off sounded fine, so it may have been a burn in period. 

 

Still I paid $85 for em, wish I started with the UE 6000 than my XB 700 tbh 

 

here it is

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/2013/11/logitech-ue-6000.html

 

wow from November! 

post #20684 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post
 

As you may or may not have noticed, I've been investing in larger headphones lately. The XB's, UE6000 and Nuforce HP-800 for instance. It's not that I don't like IEMs -- I do -- but it's more due to the fact that I feel somewhat content for time being with the X10's. Now, I wouldn't make the argument that the X10's are some giant killers or anything along those lines. They are definitely rightfully considered as mid-fi and nothing else. They are however so comfortable that I'm willing to stick to their sound quality. Unless something better comes along that is equally comfortable of course, then I'm interested, but to be honest, there aren't a lot of IEMs that are looking like they could fit the bill at the moment, and looking at the general design of IEMs these past years, there's nothing indicative that such a trend would be going on; IEMs seem to be of the same proportions now as they were yesterday, and with some of those universal CIEMs entering the market, it's almost as if they're getting bigger. Of course, there are some that look like they could fit the bill: Vsonic has one intriguing, FAD has a couple that look to be on the smaller side of things, and I'm going to try one of the Heavens some day. For the time being though, I'm content wwhere I am with the X10's. They're fine.

 

As said though, I'm interested in bigger headphones. For some reason I can't seem to be content with any of my headphones right now. Don't get me wrong, there's not a single one of them that I dislike. In fact, enjoy every single one of them quite a lot. However, they seem to take specialized places for me. There's no single headphone that doesn't have me wishing for something when listening to music. The D2000's, yeah I wish they had punchier and more bass. The Pro 900's that I sold, I wished they had mids to begin with (of course, I'm exaggerating here). The XB's, I wish they would be more refined while still having that bass for certain tracks and genres. The HP-800, I wish it would sound better with bass heavy music, but it doesn't. It sounds really good with music that isn't bass heavy, by adding some tasteful bass and punch to it, but as soon as the bass takes over in a song, it somehow loses that punch and starts slowly oozing out clouds of bass instead - and to be honest, I'd like for it to be a leafblower like the XB's with bass heavy music. The HD25-1 II are fine, but they lack refinement all over the place, and while I do enjoy their general sound signature, there are a lot of headphones I pick up before picking them up. Since they are so portable though, they have a well deserved spot in my stables, and as said, the sound isn't bad per definition, I just wish it was a bit better. The red line here is that I don't have a one headphone to rule them all.

 

I suspect I never will. The reason I am so content with the X10's is really mostly due it's size, but also because of the mere fact that I wear it perhaps 90-120 minutes a day. At the very most, that is. Commuting to and from work, so it's not even 90-120 minutes in one sitting, but divided in two with a workday inbetween. Should I wear it, 8-10 hours a day like I do with bigger headphones, I suppose I'd think of it differently; maybe a longer use would have me nagging about its sound quality as well. But I don't. They're fine.

 

I've began asking myself if I really would like to have that one headphone to rule them all. If it means that I would stop exploring the land of mid-fi, I don't know. If it means I would still continue exploring, then again, I don't know. There's something so final, so ultimate, about such a headphone, that I don't really know if I even want it. Part of the reason that I stick to this hobby despite it being perhaps a little more expensive than I really think would be appropriate for me and my family at this very moment, is the exploring and the enjoyment I find when I find something I like. To be honest, it's not very hard to find something I like -- I seem to be a lot more forgiving than a lot of other members around this forum. So the exploring is, and has been, a rather enjoyable part of my head-fi journey.

 

For my next headphones I'm thinking either the Philips Fidelio X1's (?), suggested by MuppetFace or the ever so hated Denon D600's. They seem to be in a price range I could afford, and they seem intriguing enough. But it'll have to wait for a while. I need time to both recollect my budget for head-filia, and to enjoy my latest findings, which I have to admit I haven't really gotten to do enough (when is enough?). I'm interested in other headphones as well, but I think those two are the most interesting for the time being.

 

Oh, and yeah, as said earlier, I ordered a FiiO E18 as well. I was on the fence about ordering an O2+Odac or a C5D, but I ended up going with the FiiO. The main reason was ultimately the price. The FiiO was £119 while the C5D is around $250 (or something) but then taxes and importing fees for it and meh... it'd become a seriously expensive thing for me out here in Sweden, I think. I haven't looked at the numbers, but $250 is already stretching my budget -- a lot. As for the O2+Odac, they're probably very good and all, but for some reason I can't get past the fact that you have all your cables on the front. I haven't gotten past that fact ever since I first saw it, so I reckon it's just one of those deals where I think it would irritate me ad nauseum. Also, the O2 + Odac is almost twice the price of the FiiO, so it was ultimately a pretty easy choice. I think the E18 will do me just fine, the E10 has so far, so yeah, I'm not too worried about it.

 

Ciao.


Timing is everything, as they say.  Amazon TODAY has the X1 for $149.99................bought one myself.  Had it before, loved it but needed to get some quick cash moving to get another dream headphone so off they went. 

 

Regarding the D600 - I'm one of the guys that loves them.  Use them in my office system fed via computer/FiiO E-10/vintage Realistic amp and they sound great and the bass is epic.............especially with the loudness switch thrown with the amp.  Try them..............worth the $240ish asking price these  days.  Not worth the $500 original MSRP but for half that they are great phones.

post #20685 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

Well @coq, speak of the devil, I just finished my UE6000 review. I think they are decent for their current street price, but there's always been a lot of things about that headphone I'm not so keen on. Particularly the weight of the headphone. I wish they just made a version without the ANC electronics.

 

I think that Mid-Fi is totally where it's at at the moment. Lot's of innovation from all kinds of players. Why not check out the NAD Viso HP50? That seems to be making the rounds.

 

I would recommend the Beats Studio but honestly I've been using it and one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about it is that the only way to turn the thing off is to pull the cable out. There's no hard on-off switch - what I thought was the on-off switch apparently doesn't actually keep the unit off. This means that on multiple occasions now I've taken out to give it a spin only to find the battery is flat, and the stupid thing won't function at all without the ANC turned on. Maybe I'm just a forgetful idiot but this seems inhumanly stupid to me.

 

At least it charges quickly.

I'd be very interested in reading that review, or watching it if it's on youtube.

 

 

Ah, yeah, the NADs. They seem to be fine, so they're definitely interesting. Possibly later this year.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

I have a UE 6000 review floating here some where... or I should. I enjoyed the headphone more with ANC on, than off. Off sounded muffled and closed in to me honestly, some say with burn in the ANC off mode opens up, although with some somgs ANC off sounded fine, so it may have been a burn in period. 

 

Still I paid $85 for em, wish I started with the UE 6000 than my XB 700 tbh 

 

here it is

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/2013/11/logitech-ue-6000.html

 

wow from November! 

Thanks for the read. One of the more interesting aspects of this hobby is to read reviews and see how they differ from eachother and from my own impressions. The UE6000's have been dispatched today, so I'll probably receive them next week. It usually takes a week or so from UK to Sweden.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Timing is everything, as they say.  Amazon TODAY has the X1 for $149.99................bought one myself.  Had it before, loved it but needed to get some quick cash moving to get another dream headphone so off they went. 

 

Regarding the D600 - I'm one of the guys that loves them.  Use them in my office system fed via computer/FiiO E-10/vintage Realistic amp and they sound great and the bass is epic.............especially with the loudness switch thrown with the amp.  Try them..............worth the $240ish asking price these  days.  Not worth the $500 original MSRP but for half that they are great phones.

No can do. The X1's will have to wait a month at least, with my headphone budget in mind. Besides, speaking from experience with the Roku I bought from Amazon US, yeah, things get a bit more expensive with shipping, taxes and stuff included. They're about £190 on Amazon UK for the moment, and that's pretty close to how $150 would end up for me, so a super deal or not, I'm still in Sweden and them headphones get expensive either way.

 

As for the D600, yeah, I have a slight feeling that I'd actually like them. They're somewhere around £190 as well, and I think it translates well to that $240ish price. But yeah, they're also a month a way from now, at least. Oh, and those two are probably a month away from eachother as well, hehe. Have you heard the D400? The Urban Ravers..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2