Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1371

post #20551 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


I saw the Hangout in my sub feed, but I was busy at the time to even just take a peek at it. :/

Well Google is nice and all, but a lot of people has genuine cause for concern with what they do recently. Hard to for me to list them here though, but when pressed real hard, I could make the effort. And by "pressed real hard" I mean harassed. But I'll say this though: people are awfully pissed off with the G+ hullabaloo on Youtube.

 

Believe me, I have no real great love for Google's efforts to force march everyone into Google+ or the myriad other ways they want to erode user privacy. The Google+ fiasco is especially bad since 1) it was communicated to users in an absurdly unclear way that led a nasty taste of 'bait and switch' in your mouth 2) it never made a case for itself beyond being an excuse for Google to aggregate more of your personal data across websites.

 

I do use and enjoy a lot of Google services but some of what they do now puts me off, say, getting an Android phone.

 

All that said hangouts is a pretty cool system. And therein lies the rub.

post #20552 of 21423
Can't agree more on that. Regardless, if you're ever going to do that again, maybe I'll join in on the fun too. That actually can take the edge out of social anxiety without going out of the house!! :P
post #20553 of 21423
I find it hard to use google for anything important. They add and drop products whether they are successful or not. Sometimes I feel like I'm always using the v0.99 version of someone's college project, and as soon as the teacher gives them a grade, google just stops supporting it. I was an igoogle user, and my company was also a postini customer. Both were killed with no alternative.
post #20554 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Can't agree more on that. Regardless, if you're ever going to do that again, maybe I'll join in on the fun too. That actually can take the edge out of social anxiety without going out of the house!! :P

 

Sure thing man! As I said before, I'd be very keen to do panel discussions on various things of note to the Head Fi community. Was with Arly today experimenting with some of the functions. If you can think of stuff that would make for an interesting hangout let me know!

post #20555 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Sure thing man! As I said before, I'd be very keen to do panel discussions on various things of note to the Head Fi community. Was with Arly today experimenting with some of the functions. If you can think of stuff that would make for an interesting hangout let me know!

Hmm, maybe music sharing? I don't know how that could work though, and possibly could make you targeted by YouTube's Absolutely 9000% Brilliant Automated Screw-you-in-the-behind Copyright Infringement bot.

Because currently I'm revisiting one of my most favourite Bandcamp artist of his new album(s).

Probably going to buy it and write a blog post about it.
post #20556 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


Hmm, maybe music sharing? I don't know how that could work though, and possibly could make you targeted by YouTube's Absolutely 9000% Brilliant Automated Screw-you-in-the-behind Copyright Infringement bot.

Because currently I'm revisiting one of my most favourite Bandcamp artist of his new album(s).

Probably going to buy it and write a blog post about it.

 

Technically you are supposed to be able to play short clips of music if you are actually doing commentary about the music - that's fair use for critical purposes after all. I dread navigating through the content ID system though. I've done it before, it's like wrestling with a robot zombie bear. It's not so much that it's just an efficient algorithm, it's an efficient algorithm backed up by faceless law drones with law degrees.

 

If it's Bandcamp, it might be creative commons, it should be possible to get permission directly from the artist without going through a label though...

post #20557 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post  I don't want to sound like a shill for Google or anything but I'm actually pretty excited about the potential for using this hangout stuff for conversations in the community. I just wish I was more articulate on the spot, I ended up kind of rambling on about all kinds of things in the effort to fill dead air haha.

 

This is exactly what I was talking about last time. I'll e-mail you about it again. Pretty sure no one will think you're shilling when you've publicly complained about YouTube's Google+ comment system, though I also admit the Hangouts feature is pretty nifty.

post #20558 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

This is exactly what I was talking about last time. I'll e-mail you about it again. Pretty sure no one will think you're shilling when you've publicly complained about YouTube's Google+ comment system, though I also admit the Hangouts feature is pretty nifty.

 

Yeah I know I know, I've been kicking around the idea for a while in my mind. Finally got off my butt to work out how the hangouts on air features work, which is good in a way because I think it's a bit more fleshed out now than when we last talked about it...

post #20559 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

From what I can see, there are NO WIRES connected to the tubes - it must be MAGIC...

Never mind the tubes. The terminal ends on the headphone and signal sockets are also bare. There is literally no wire inside.

I think it's exactly the same item he was selling four years ago (and however many times in the interim).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Perhaps it's some kind of commentary slash performance art? Or really just some guy who is bored and trolling, which is kind of the same thing only cruder?

Reason why I think he's providing a money laundering service is (a) as noted above, I think it's literally the same item as before, and (b) his perfect feedback rating. He wouldn't have many positive reviews if customers bought his merchandise with face value assumptions. The sales are probably prearranged and handled through Ebay for the veil of legitimacy. I've seen similar things happen with other merchandise before: $300 bicycle Brake/shifter mechanisms that sell with $25,000 pricetags, for example.

Patrick's audio pranks are hilarious verging on cruel but he's been careful to not go as far as selling amplifiers that don't amplify.
post #20560 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post  Yeah I know I know, I've been kicking around the idea for a while in my mind. Finally got off my butt to work out how the hangouts on air features work, which is good in a way because I think it's a bit more fleshed out now than when we last talked about it...


If it's a multi-person conference, then someone needs to take on the dedicated role of host/MC, pacing people, knowing when/where to steer conversations, changing pace, etc.

post #20561 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post


If it's a multi-person conference, then someone needs to take on the dedicated role of host/MC, pacing people, knowing when/where to steer conversations, changing pace, etc.


Well, that's whoever hosts the hangout and wants the video to end up on their Youtube channel, so in that case it would probably be me... I don't mind doing some MCing but I have never really led a panel. I would be very keen on trying though, I listen to enough podcasts every day to want to try my hand :3

 

I mean, even just having a diary thread hangout might be cool!

post #20562 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Believe me, I have no real great love for Google's efforts to force march everyone into Google+ or the myriad other ways they want to erode user privacy. The Google+ fiasco is especially bad since 1) it was communicated to users in an absurdly unclear way that led a nasty taste of 'bait and switch' in your mouth 2) it never made a case for itself beyond being an excuse for Google to aggregate more of your personal data across websites.

I do use and enjoy a lot of Google services but some of what they do now puts me off, say, getting an Android phone.

All that said hangouts is a pretty cool system. And therein lies the rub.

the way they MAKE you integrate your Google account with Youtube annoys the **** out of me. Oh yeah, they claim you can unlink them, but it just goes back the way it was after a while.
post #20563 of 21423
There are reasons why I sometimes refer to Google as The Great Evil. Bit hey, they created Android and it's open source so it's all lollipops and magic unicorns as we skip down the yellow brick to the palace of Googla the head Google zombie.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/15/14 at 11:35am
post #20564 of 21423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


the way they MAKE you integrate your Google account with Youtube annoys the **** out of me. Oh yeah, they claim you can unlink them, but it just goes back the way it was after a while.

Their messing about with the G+ and the youtube accounts turned out rather messy it seems. They wanted to do that to me as well, but I've been pressing that "Use youtube account" button all along. It was a little irritating, yes, but lately it's calmed down for some reason. Oh well.

 

I received the Nuforce HP-800 headphones today. Quick impressions: I can see why people are talking about their bass. It's there and it goes deep, however, it's not powerful in any way, even with EQ:ing. You hear it, but you hardly feel it. So it's not really a basshead headphone for me, and bass is probably their biggest strength. The mids and the highs are a bit meh as well. The comfort of them is wonderful. I don't find them especially heavy or clumsy, despite their size. However, as said, the sound is a bit meh. I suppose I'll have to give them a bit of time to grow on me, but love at first sight, it's not.

 

Lately I've been suspecting that I don't really hear soundstages the same way other people are. At least not all the time. I think headphones with a rather small soundstage sounds more intimate and a bit louder to me, while bigger soundstages turn out a bit veiled or quiet, or so, which could be a reason that I very much prefer the former. It just seems to me that I disagree more and more with people about certain things in this hobby, but soundstage is probably the biggest gripe I have with head-fi/headphones. Oh, other than some of those "audiophile" terms that just sound a little bit silly to me such as "musical". To me, every headphone sounds pretty damned "musical" when I put on some music, but maybe not for everyone. Possibly one of those things, like the ultra expensive USB cables that change the fonts of the 1's and 0's, or whatever magic they do. Then again, it could be just me being stupid.

post #20565 of 21423

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2