Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1367  

post #20491 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Done, the videos been pulled and removed from view on my channel. I even titled the video wrong. I'm such an idiot, I have to much gear rolling around in my head as well as private matters. Talk about a boner move, I feel so stupid right now.

LOL, don't feel like that. We're all human, and we all make mistakes. I'm sure no harm was done, and no offense was taken from any part anywhere. It's not stupid, it was a simple mistake my friend.

post #20492 of 21761

I laughed as hard as Ashens did LMFAO. If you're pressed fort time FF to the last 2 or 3 minutes of the video

 

post #20493 of 21761

Does anyone else here watch Ullillillia?

 

 

I've been watching him fiddle with the backgrounds for this game for about 5 years now.  I admire the fact that he's spending so much time making a game he wants to play with what's sure to be a ridiculously fleshed out world for a platformer.  I intend on buying the hell out of it whenever it comes out, even though the gameplay isn't looking very promising.  I'll buy copies for my grandkids as well since they'll probably exist by the time Ullillillia is satisfied with it all.

 

Just, idk... I find this dude's efforts and perspective refreshing and love supporting him.  I even bought a copy of his godawful book just to, like, have as a cultural artifact.  I'd like to think it was secretely written for a race of machines that will inherent this planet since he has thorough numeric measurements for every detail and hex values for every color. 


Edited by driver 8 - 1/12/14 at 12:51pm
post #20494 of 21761

post #20495 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post
 

Does anyone else here watch Ullillillia?

 

 

I've been watching him fiddle with the backgrounds for this game for about 5 years now.  I admire the fact that he's spending so much time making a game he wants to play with what's sure to be a ridiculously fleshed out world for a platformer.  I intend on buying the hell out of it whenever it comes out, even though the gameplay isn't looking very promising.  I'll buy copies for my grandkids as well since they'll probably exist by the time Ullillillia is satisfied with it all.

 

Just, idk... I find this dude's efforts and perspective refreshing and love supporting him.  I even bought a copy of his godawful book just to, like, have as a cultural artifact.  I'd like to think it was secretely written for a race of machines that will inherent this planet since he has thorough numeric measurements for every detail and hex values for every color. 

... I can totally understand his ... spending years on this. It's fun to tinker

post #20496 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post
 

Here's something you can do with your speakers while you use your IEMs.

 

That is remarkably cool. Meanwhile, in department stores across the world, people are sticking their fingers RIGHT INTO THE DRIVERS. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

An open backed K702 for live performance DJing?/?

Am I alone in thinking those cans were worn just for show?


 

Or maybe it's part of a performance art practice wherein we watch a DJ actively destroy their ears for the audience's pleasure. Yoko Ono kind of stuff. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post
 

Yesterday when I was out photographing with a friend, I listened to his camera and said "1/60th second, right?", he responded "Yep" and then we laughed at the fact that I could tell by the sound of his shutter.

 

I'm a little scared.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post
 

Does anyone else here watch Ullillillia?

 

I've been watching him fiddle with the backgrounds for this game for about 5 years now. 

 

I've never heard of this, but now I am interested! It reminds me of how Dwarf Fortress is being developed by one single guy who seems to be determined to make the most granular simulation known to man.

 

Speaking of granular simulations I've been playing Crusader Kings 2, which is essentially a feudalism simulator. This is probably the most complex game I've ever played (Dwarf Fortress is harder but I just gave up in 20 minutes). The game has managed to teach me intuitively why on earth people married their sisters or constantly had wars of succession back in the Middle Ages. Very edutaining.

 

-----------------------

 

I've been putting my listening hours on the Sony ZX700 (or the variant I have, the Sony ZX701ip), which I regard as one of the better cheap circumaural portable headphones on the market. Comparing against the Z1000 I always feel bitter about spending $400 or something like that on the Z1000. The Z1000 is a wonderfully built headphone (and I still hold out for a MDR-1R with the Z1000's build) but the sound, while being acceptable in the ZX700 (which sounds similar enough), just comes off as nasal, oddly congested / hazy and with a uninspiring, flabby bass on the Z1000. The Z1000 is still a wonderful choice if all you listened to was acoustic music with no information below 120hz, but it ranks up there in my list of most disappointing headphones - probably moreso given my well known affection for Sony. 

 

I never understand why Sony cannot build a studio monitor with similar performance to the AT M50, Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic's offerings. I've heard the argument that studio monitors don't actually need all that much bass performance, the studio engineer just needs to hear everything and remember not to overcompensate for the monitor's lack of bass, but that seems a bit silly to me. Wouldn't it be important to make a headphone that doesn't produce too many bass harmonics or other issues so you actually get an accurate idea of what the reverb is like on the bass beats? I don't see why Sony hasn't made an updated studio monitor based more on the MDR-1R approach, just flatter.

post #20497 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

I never understand why Sony cannot build a studio monitor with similar performance to the AT M50, Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic's offerings. I've heard the argument that studio monitors don't actually need all that much bass performance, the studio engineer just needs to hear everything and remember not to overcompensate for the monitor's lack of bass, but that seems a bit silly to me. Wouldn't it be important to make a headphone that doesn't produce too many bass harmonics or other issues so you actually get an accurate idea of what the reverb is like on the bass beats? I don't see why Sony hasn't made an updated studio monitor based more on the MDR-1R approach, just flatter.

 

Have you tried the MDR-7520s?

They are supposed to sound similar to the Z1000 but with more bass presence from 150 down.

They compared well against the Yamaha MT220s by one of our members and trust me, the Yammies go down low so... maybe that's what you're looking for...

post #20498 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

Have you tried the MDR-7520s?

They are supposed to sound similar to the Z1000 but with more bass presence from 150 down.

They compared well against the Yamaha MT220s by one of our members and trust me, the Yammies go down low so... maybe that's what you're looking for...

 

I haven't! I am always wondering about the 7520, since it's obvious some changes were made (the earpad gauze is visibly different for one thing) but I have no idea if they really sound that dissimilar. Maybe I should go hunting.

 

I want to listen to the MT220. It's weird because I have the MT120 and I think it is probably one of the most dull and boring headphones I have ever heard. And I don't mean boring in the 'studio monitor flat' kind of boring. It's boring because it's rolled off at both ends, just tons of mid-band emphasis and overall just a spongey sound. But at the same time, its a comfortable design, I have faith in Yamaha and I feel like with a few changes the MT120 could be a winner.

post #20499 of 21761
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post
 

Does anyone else here watch Ullillillia?

 

...

 

I've been watching him fiddle with the backgrounds for this game for about 5 years now.  I admire the fact that he's spending so much time making a game he wants to play with what's sure to be a ridiculously fleshed out world for a platformer.  I intend on buying the hell out of it whenever it comes out, even though the gameplay isn't looking very promising.  I'll buy copies for my grandkids as well since they'll probably exist by the time Ullillillia is satisfied with it all.

 

Just, idk... I find this dude's efforts and perspective refreshing and love supporting him.  I even bought a copy of his godawful book just to, like, have as a cultural artifact.  I'd like to think it was secretely written for a race of machines that will inherent this planet since he has thorough numeric measurements for every detail and hex values for every color. 

 

This made my day.

 

I used to sit and watch my roommate, a computer science major, coding videogames into the early morning hours. There was something oddly comforting about it. Like, it gives validation to all that stupid banter in elementary school about growing up to make videogames. It taps directly into that childlike but ever-persistent impulse to create fantasy worlds and give life to them. 

 

Also, admittedly, I find the "primitive" look and feel of many homebrew games to be very endearing. It harkens back to a time when games were more oppressive but immersive because of that. I'm especially fond of early 3D worlds and their bizarre sparseness, the alien quality of such landscapes and blocky looking NPCs.

 

http://geohand.tumblr.com/

http://ickyqualms.com/

 

I've been following the work of the above artist, Molly, for a while now. She obviously draws a lot of inspiration from the King's Field series, which is an all-time favorite of mine. I also pick up a lot of undertones from early-to-mid 90s PC games in her character / monster designs that really speak to me, sort of Grim Fandango type stuff. Filter it all through a sort of Lamezone type aesthetic sensibility, and you've got a game I'd really want to play. Really hope she puts something out there in the future.

 

As for books suited to robot consumption, I have to wonder if Kenji Siratori is what the rebellious youth among them would be reading. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post
 

Dream Post (since I've been asked to post them here and feel better doing that myself):

 

I had a dream a few nights ago wherein I was intuitively cast into a void.  I was content with this until a skeletal spectre presented me with my son -- a boy so naive he wasn't alarmed by a skeletal hand brushing through his hair.

 

I couldn't be taxed any longer so my son was to pay for my sins by wearing parasitic flesh over his face and male pattern baldness areas and walking several thousand miles.  As I watched the boy walk past rows of judges with this flesh over his face I realized I had never taught him a word.  Years later I'd stalk him with all the grace, intelligence, and self awareness of a cat.

 

Gosh I missed these dream posts.

 

post #20500 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

 

I haven't! I am always wondering about the 7520, since it's obvious some changes were made (the earpad gauze is visibly different for one thing) but I have no idea if they really sound that dissimilar. Maybe I should go hunting.

 

I want to listen to the MT220. It's weird because I have the MT120 and I think it is probably one of the most dull and boring headphones I have ever heard. And I don't mean boring in the 'studio monitor flat' kind of boring. It's boring because it's rolled off at both ends, just tons of mid-band emphasis and overall just a spongey sound. But at the same time, its a comfortable design, I have faith in Yamaha and I feel like with a few changes the MT120 could be a winner.

 

Seems they are indeed different. Jude has spoken about their differences and on the MDR7520 thread, members have talked about their differences. So I think you should hunt one down! ;-)

 

Haven't tried the MT120s but the 220s are definitely keepers for me, mostly for PC use (gaming, movies, music). Maybe I'll use them for monitoring/mixing/tracking if I decide to start recording some snippets again... (I should, that is one of my New Years resolution... to at least finish 2 songs!!!)


Edited by gelocks - 1/12/14 at 5:55pm
post #20501 of 21761

Finally got around to re-shooting the video. Enjoy guys, more will be coming very soon.

 

 


Edited by DigitalFreak - 1/12/14 at 8:18pm
post #20502 of 21761

Fonna do the bold text = reply thing since I'm feeling lazy.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
 

 

This made my day.

 

I used to sit and watch my roommate, a computer science major, coding videogames into the early morning hours. There was something oddly comforting about it. Like, it gives validation to all that stupid banter in elementary school about growing up to make videogames. It taps directly into that childlike but ever-persistent impulse to create fantasy worlds and give life to them. 

 

This was me and a friend of mine in elementary school dicking around with GameMaker on some ancient Lenovo.  He was more tech savvy than me, but I kind of contributed as the ideas guy, I guess.  Don't think we ever really finished anything.

 

Also, admittedly, I find the "primitive" look and feel of many homebrew games to be very endearing. It harkens back to a time when games were more oppressive but immersive because of that. I'm especially fond of early 3D worlds and their bizarre sparseness, the alien quality of such landscapes and blocky looking NPCs.

 

Word.  I also have this affliction wherein I find a lot of modern "pretty" game environments fatiguing if, like, none of it's functional... you know?  Most of the time I'd prefer some abstract whatever world to a poor imitation of reality*.  There are exceptions to this, of course, but it's made me a pretty bad gamer this past 8 years or so.  

 

*I wish more games had decent physics. Shooting out lights and windows should have been a given since Rare's N64 shooters did it, but I'm astonished when games like Crysis 3 can't give me that small amount of visceral interactivity.

 

http://geohand.tumblr.com/

http://ickyqualms.com/

 

I've been following the work of the above artist, Molly, for a while now. She obviously draws a lot of inspiration from the King's Field series, which is an all-time favorite of mine. I also pick up a lot of undertones from early-to-mid 90s PC games in her character / monster designs that really speak to me, sort of Grim Fandango type stuff. Filter it all through a sort of Lamezone type aesthetic sensibility, and you've got a game I'd really want to play. Really hope she puts something out there in the future.

 

Cool, I'll check these out.

 

As for books suited to robot consumption, I have to wonder if Kenji Siratori is what the rebellious youth among them would be reading. 

 

I ordered that earlier for the hell of it.  Sounds like something worth having around.

 

 

Gosh I missed these dream posts.

 

:)  I have a few more I'll hopefully post over the next couple of days.

post #20503 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Finally got around to re-shooting the video. Enjoy guys, more will be coming very soon.

 

 


Thanks for mentioning me...my nickname is almost impossible to pronounce in English ;)

post #20504 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 


Thanks for mentioning me...my nickname is almost impossible to pronounce in English ;)


No problem, thanks for including me in the tour. Did I even get close to pronouncing your nickname correctly, lol?

post #20505 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 


No problem, thanks for including me in the tour. Did I even get close to pronouncing your nickname correctly, lol?


You got close...and made my wife laugh so its all good :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2