- 7,181 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Location: Beijing, China
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Design/durability: The earpiece seems very durable, although there are some light finish issues. The braided cable is one of the best in the industry: there are barely any microphonics, it feels...
Photo courtesy of Cozoy INTRODUCTION I recently tested out a couple battery-powered DAC/Amp (Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3) solutions and the battery-free Calyx PaT DAC/Amp with the goal of...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Inearz/Fisher Hearing for providing me with a review sample of their IE-P650 CIEM in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus Review Hello, my name is Oscar and this is my review of the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus. Creative sent these to me as part of a tour and I did not pay for...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1364post #20446 of 217601/10/14 at 1:46amI think this Hugo is quite attractive in that it supposedly puts reference home rig sound into a portable format.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20447 of 217601/10/14 at 2:13am
... I've heard the HE 4 is essitanally a SUPER DT 880. The DT 880 isn't V Shaped though and honestly the HE 400 is PRETTY V shaped imo, treble and bass are booooosted with those upper mids all but gone, yes the low and central mids are great but... guitars and women sounded wonky on the HE 400post #20448 of 217601/10/14 at 2:52ampost #20449 of 217601/10/14 at 2:59amQuote:Originally Posted by jgray91
There's so much marketing speak layers with regards to the BT implementation, but then again, I'm no BT specialist either. So I assumed wrong that this is a transport too, and instead of only various cables from other PMP like a phone or tablet, it also can use Magic Audiophile BT?
From their website: "... the new Hugo also has A2DP Bluetooth capability and uses a custom-made module with the aptX codec to feed a digital signal directly into the DAC circuitry, so even without cables, high-quality music can still be enjoyed."
My guess is that off-the-shelf aptX BT modules (for headsets and wireless docks) typically come with inbuilt DACs and Chord Electronics are just using a custom-made version to feed into their own DAC instead. At least that's how I understand it. No magic, just shows that they rate aptX streaming quality good enought to warrant that kind of implementation. From my own experience with aptX streaming quality, I'd agree.post #20450 of 217601/10/14 at 3:24amOh, should've gone to their website earlier then. I instinctively searched Head-fi's and found sasaki-san's thread, so that's where I get the kind of half-and-half explanation. This is good that there's some audiophile company pushing aptX BT implementation. So here's hoping for more of this kind of portable DAC/amp!!
Say, how much is this Hugo going to cost....
Nothing in their own site.
Edited by jgray91 - 1/10/14 at 3:28ampost #20451 of 217601/10/14 at 3:37amQuote:An arm and a leg...1.2k£.Originally Posted by jgray91
Oh, should've gone to their website earlier then. I instinctively searched Head-fi's and found sasaki-san's thread, so that's where I get the kind of half-and-half explanation. This is good that there's some audiophile company pushing aptX BT implementation. So here's hoping for more of this kind of portable DAC/amp!!
Say, how much is this Hugo going to cost....
Nothing in their own site.post #20452 of 217601/10/14 at 3:41ampost #20453 of 217601/10/14 at 4:06ampost #20454 of 217601/10/14 at 4:14ampost #20455 of 217601/10/14 at 4:39amQuote:
Welp, it's entirely possible that the XB910 is a big improvement over the XB900. Unfortunately in Australia it's only available in a silver / orange colour combo that honestly I find pretty ghastly.Quote:Originally Posted by ardgedee
From the manufacturing point of view, I suspect it's easier to use off-the-shelf parts with this sort of design. That brings component costs 'way down, especially for the small volume orders a startup would be making.
From the user's point of view, it provides the potential for easier storage. Although in practice the HE-6's case is not significantly less bulky than the LCD-2's, which stores the cups vertically. And... uh... you can lay your neo-orthos flat on the desk or prop them against your computer and drive them loud enough to use as desktop speakers. Though you shouldn't.
I mean, I get it... but as Mupps said, it does seem like it adds a point of failure. I'm wondering what the design of the new AKG's feels like...Quote:
Ooh boy. That would be worth some quality time with.post #20456 of 217601/10/14 at 5:15amThread Starter
Thanks for posting the new e-stats from HiFiMan, Jgray! They look... promising? I guess I was hoping for a BIT more sturdiness, but they might be more robust in person.
The original Jades were seriously problematic in build, but man oh man they sounded amazing.
Edited by MuppetFace - 1/10/14 at 5:18ampost #20457 of 217601/10/14 at 5:28amQuote:
Well, y-eeeeeeeeeeeah I guess.Quote:
More is always good, especially things that are lacking in quantity. Still, the only other thing I'm still interested in (other than probably a be-all-end-all CIEM one day) is a be-all-end-all e-stat. Dat speed. Not necessarily need to be pricey since it's going to be wasted on high pitched Japanese cartoons lol.post #20458 of 217601/10/14 at 5:55ampost #20459 of 217601/10/14 at 6:37ampost #20460 of 217601/10/14 at 1:39pmQuote:
Impression from CES are in,
Check the Hype Thread for the HE 560 and 400i, we've got a member who heard them, he reports uber comfort, better than the HE 6 sound and ofc the cheap price!
If the Hype behind the new Hifimans are anything like what we heard about the Schiit Vali... I think were all going to b very poor soon!
Best of all Hifiman put their booth in a quiet listening lounge :D ooh man I'm excited <.<
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 33 seconds ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 50 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears 1 minute ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM 1 minute ago
- › Time for a DAP upgrade - FiiO/iBasso/AK/Lotoo/Hidizs 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 2 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 4 minutes ago
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by nmatheis
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2