Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1349
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20222 of 2176012/28/13 at 3:15am
I dub 2013 The year people who did good things before and then seemingly disappeared all coincidentally did pretty good things this year.
A short list of acts we hadn't heard from in a long time all shipped new -- and often very good stuff this year. This only covers the things I have and liked, which isn't even everything done by somebody once-notable this year.
My Bloody Valentine -- I kind of wax hot and cool towards m b v at times, but it's better than it had to be and certainly a better Next MBV Album than anybody deserved. They were missed during their decades-long break, and fortunately it doesn't seem to have lost them their edge.
Boards of Canada -- I still stand by calling Tomorrow's Harvest nightmare fuel. If they were on a trajectory towards darkness from Music has the right to children through The Campfire Headphase, their course had continued unchanged over an eight year break. It's brilliant and difficult to listen to.
Grant Hart -- I was originally cool towards The Argument but it's really grown on me; I don't know if it's a great album but like the only other non-Husker Du album Hart did that anybody seems to remember (Intolerance) it rewards repeat listening in ways that pop albums usually don't. It's not only the best rock album you'll ever hear based on Milton's Paradise Lost, it's the only one you need. Like Daft Punk (below), Hart wasn't as unproductive as the publicity made it sound -- instead it's the ambition and renewed vigor here that grabs your attention.
Daft Punk -- For whatever reason Random Access Memories kept getting slotted as a comeback album despite Daft Punk having shipped new original material at their usual steady pace in the years since their last "real" album. (I guess Tron doesn't count, for whatever reason.) A crazy hybrid of thinking man's disco that careens around the glamorous side of the 1970s with so little irony or cynicism that even the grown-ups who were punk back in the day could get a little misty-eyed. Everybody gossips about Georgio Morodor's turn, but what made me buy the album was the unspoken tribute to Stanley Clarke that immediately followed it.
This isn't even comprehensive, but I've run out of time to continue. Nothing much to say about equipment; I've mostly been away from the audio scene and almost all my listening purchases in 2013 have been recordings, not gear. Happy New Year, folks.
Edited by ardgedee - 12/28/13 at 3:17ampost #20223 of 2176012/28/13 at 3:26amThread Starterpost #20224 of 2176012/28/13 at 5:04amQuote:
ThanksQuote:Originally Posted by Tangster
I never really liked river. Her and the doctor never seemed to be much of a couple, even with all the timey-wimey stuff. More like the drunk Vegas wedding you regretted later.
As far as I'm concerned Idris from the doctors wife is still the closest he's gotten to a wife after leaving gallifrey. Him being married to the Tardis just makes so much sense.
I do find it difficult not to ship doc11xclara though. Too dang adorable.
Yea they do have a drunk Vegas wedding feel, it's what makes em cute. But I forget he had a relationship with the Tardis... I do like that couple much better!post #20225 of 2176012/28/13 at 7:29amThread Starter
River Song exhausts Moffat's vast stores of creativity when it comes to writing female characters: she's a headstrong flirty vamp. Not at all like any of the other female characters he's written.
And since I'm already sharing my petty grievances, I may as well say the character makes me throw up in my mouth. Her first appearance in The Library was actually somewhat intriguing despite the Benjamin Button / Merlin 'living-backward' thing. Who is this mysterious person? But honestly, the flirting that goes on when she's around is not cute so much as vacillating between nails-on-a-chalkboard irritating and sexual-innuendo-in-front-of-children awkward. The "hello sweetie" and "spoilers!" tag lines are just the back that broke the camel's straw. As many commentators have already mentioned, she exists as the living embodiment of bad story arc formatting: the idea that nothing need be handled well now so long as it can be put off for the inevitably disappointing finale. Just wait, it's going to be awesome. I promise. Spoilers!
The 'big reveal' behind her character during the Impossible Astronaut Arc (the low point of the re-launched Who thus far IMO) was awful even by Moffat's standards. Not only that, but Amy's relationship with her is so utterly flat and devoid of... well... anything. She sees her as an adult so she presumably knows she's fine, so hey, no need to worry about the baby she just lost. What does worry her though is not being able to give her husband moar kidz like he wants, and the perception that she's an inadequate wife because of her infertility. Nice one, Moffat.
Also I really can't overstate how un-Who the bit about River Song shooting the Silents with guns and the Doctor's reaction was. This is a guy who wouldn't even let someone on the TARDIS who used a gun. Now you're telling me he'd be in a relationship with someone like that?
I'm just glad they went with an older Doctor for the 12th. It's a bit telling that people wrote into the Guardian complaining about his age. Evidently some folks want Twilight Doctor.
Edited by MuppetFace - 12/28/13 at 7:37ampost #20226 of 2176012/28/13 at 8:02amThread Starterpost #20227 of 2176012/28/13 at 10:02ampost #20228 of 2176012/28/13 at 10:11am
The episode "The Girl in the Mirror" was a nice one too. I'd love to see Madame de Pompadour return to Doctor Who. Preferably not a Moffat script though...
EDIT: I just read this on the Escapist forums, "River Song is pretty much Cable (they even both have fiery redheads for mothers), and she's just as polarizing as he is." and now I can't get the image of a Liefieldified River Song with a massive gun(that her hands are glued to), pouches and belts everwhere and tiny, tiny feet.
My biggest issue with River is that she's such a darn Mary Sue. Most of the episode with her in them just seem like really bad self-insert fanfiction. She's the distilled essence of why Moffat needs to be heavily edited when he writes a female character.
Edited by Tangster - 12/28/13 at 2:03pmpost #20229 of 2176012/29/13 at 3:33amThread StarterQuote:
My biggest issue with River Song is that her character is entirely---%100---based around her relationship with the Doctor. There is nothing outside of that, and so she ends up better completely and utterly flat and devoid of anything in the way of genuine characterization. Everything about her is reduced to "spoilers!"
And Moffat is doing it again with Clara now.post #20230 of 2176012/29/13 at 9:41ampost #20231 of 2176012/29/13 at 11:16ampost #20232 of 2176012/29/13 at 11:57ampost #20233 of 2176012/29/13 at 12:21pmpost #20234 of 2176012/29/13 at 2:21pmpost #20235 of 2176012/29/13 at 2:26pm
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Focal Elear in stock and a loaner program! 50 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 2 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 3 minutes ago
- › Tennmak 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...