Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Really bass heavy headphones Last post on 6/15/14 at 7:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40 Last post on 7/23/14 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1346
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Merry Christmas :3 I hope everyone has some plans to relax and spend time with family or friends!
I liked that Swedish goat article. A public burning of a goat effigy sounds like a worthy tradition that should spread across the land. I would have liked it if the goats twitter account tweeted about the goats horrible burning pain and spewed curses at the murderers for generations, but I guess I'm just sentimental like that.
on a sad note I spent the day with my younger cousins today, her father's not been in her lfie to much and the last thing I did with her [she moving to be with him ironically next week] was we played house! ... she cooked me thanksgiving dinner, so my day was happy and sad! :[ I'd post a picture of her but well... that would be stupid :D I'm 100% for keepin our kids off the interenet! [at least their pics and names
MF On Flicks
. - ~ - . . - ~ - .
. - ~ - .
Snow is falling. Carolers are singing. Gibbering maniacs are hiding out in the attic.
Ah, that special time of year is upon us. Time to watch Black Christmas and take part in a perverse movie night tradition amongst friends.
"HO HO HO.... schiit."
The genesis of the slasher flick is often traced back to Halloween , but before Carpenter had his evil Commander Data lookalike hack people into meat ribbons, another holiday altogether served as the backdrop for young adults being brutalized. Indeed, Black Christmas launched a whole new trend in horror filmmaking---for better or for worse---but continues to stand out from the throng the followed. It's just really well done.
The premise is straightforward enough: a sorority house starts getting obscene phone calls around the time students and faculty are beginning to leave for winter vacation. The phone calls though are beyond mere perverted fun and games. The phone calls are truly disturbing, consisting of nearly inhuman grunts and other manic, garbled vocalizations mixed in with what seems like a child's voice. The phone calls are increasing in frequency. In spite of this everyone continues to go about their business, gearing up for the holidays, dealing with relationship problems, drinking and making merry. Slices of dorm life. In particular, the lovely Margot Kidder gives a pretty good performance as an irresponsible house sister. There's also Marian Waldman who plays an over-the-top boozing house mother, Ms. Mac. She did other underground horror stuff in the 70s like Deranged: Confession of a Necrophile. Anyway, as the students start leaving for home one by one, certain girls begin to go missing. Most don't want to think too hard about it, though.
Things work out to where the protagonist Jess, played by the also-lovely Olivia Hussey, ends up staying behind on campus. She has some rather heavy news to deliver to her boyfriend who studies at the music conservatory. It involves an abortion. He doesn't take it well. In fact he really freaks out, casting him as the primary suspect for recent events. Meanwhile police discover a dead body close to the campus and decide to try and trace the phone calls that keep coming, hoping for a lead. It all comes to a head as the film gives its big reveal. I wont spoil it. However I will say that it's the first time a now well known horror cliche was used, and the effect here is still surprisingly fresh. The climax of the film is genuinely spine chilling and quite well delivered.
Kind of hard to believe this was directed by Bob Clark, the guy responsible for the transvestite exploitation film She-Man, as well as Porky's II and Baby Geniuses. Yeah I don't know.
The mood of this film is just spot-on in most respects, with the thin veneer of holiday festivities just giving things an even more sinister quality by contrast. There's a great sense of cold too, especially during the attic scenes. Perhaps the greatest directorial decision was to use the killer's point of view at points throughout the narrative. This lends a really eerie, voyeuristic quality to what could have otherwise been bland establishing shoots. For instance we see early on in first-person perspective the killer's climbing up the side of the house to get inside. There are also some great twists and turns, as well as open ended questions left unresolved, lending a psychological depth to what could have just been a run-of-the-mill horror b movie.
Also worth mentioning is the soundtrack to the film. It's appropriately warped, and the story goes the compositions were created by fastening forks and knives to the strings of a piano to achieve the effects. While that sounds really cool, to me it comes across more as reel-to-reel tape experimentation. Or at the very least like tapes being slowed down in key places. It all comes together to make Black Christmas a rather unforgettable holiday tradition.
Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house...
Not a creature was stirring...
You're watching this right now aren't you?
@MF: That looks rad and I'll probably try to watch it tomorrow night.
@everyone: Happy Holidays!
I always feel like I'm going insane this time of year :/ I'm not even sure if i should elaborate on that, just... don't be like me, kids; I'm a ******* Grinch...
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica A900 repair help! 1 minute ago
- › Interest Check Only- Headamp BHSE Electrostatic Headphone Amp w Extras 2 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535 LTD 2 minutes ago
- › looking for new headphones/earbuds 2 minutes ago
- › DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP 3 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)