Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Really bass heavy headphones Last post on 6/15/14 at 7:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40 Last post on 7/23/14 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1346
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Merry Christmas :3 I hope everyone has some plans to relax and spend time with family or friends!
I liked that Swedish goat article. A public burning of a goat effigy sounds like a worthy tradition that should spread across the land. I would have liked it if the goats twitter account tweeted about the goats horrible burning pain and spewed curses at the murderers for generations, but I guess I'm just sentimental like that.
on a sad note I spent the day with my younger cousins today, her father's not been in her lfie to much and the last thing I did with her [she moving to be with him ironically next week] was we played house! ... she cooked me thanksgiving dinner, so my day was happy and sad! :[ I'd post a picture of her but well... that would be stupid :D I'm 100% for keepin our kids off the interenet! [at least their pics and names
MF On Flicks
. - ~ - . . - ~ - .
. - ~ - .
Snow is falling. Carolers are singing. Gibbering maniacs are hiding out in the attic.
Ah, that special time of year is upon us. Time to watch Black Christmas and take part in a perverse movie night tradition amongst friends.
"HO HO HO.... schiit."
The genesis of the slasher flick is often traced back to Halloween , but before Carpenter had his evil Commander Data lookalike hack people into meat ribbons, another holiday altogether served as the backdrop for young adults being brutalized. Indeed, Black Christmas launched a whole new trend in horror filmmaking---for better or for worse---but continues to stand out from the throng the followed. It's just really well done.
The premise is straightforward enough: a sorority house starts getting obscene phone calls around the time students and faculty are beginning to leave for winter vacation. The phone calls though are beyond mere perverted fun and games. The phone calls are truly disturbing, consisting of nearly inhuman grunts and other manic, garbled vocalizations mixed in with what seems like a child's voice. The phone calls are increasing in frequency. In spite of this everyone continues to go about their business, gearing up for the holidays, dealing with relationship problems, drinking and making merry. Slices of dorm life. In particular, the lovely Margot Kidder gives a pretty good performance as an irresponsible house sister. There's also Marian Waldman who plays an over-the-top boozing house mother, Ms. Mac. She did other underground horror stuff in the 70s like Deranged: Confession of a Necrophile. Anyway, as the students start leaving for home one by one, certain girls begin to go missing. Most don't want to think too hard about it, though.
Things work out to where the protagonist Jess, played by the also-lovely Olivia Hussey, ends up staying behind on campus. She has some rather heavy news to deliver to her boyfriend who studies at the music conservatory. It involves an abortion. He doesn't take it well. In fact he really freaks out, casting him as the primary suspect for recent events. Meanwhile police discover a dead body close to the campus and decide to try and trace the phone calls that keep coming, hoping for a lead. It all comes to a head as the film gives its big reveal. I wont spoil it. However I will say that it's the first time a now well known horror cliche was used, and the effect here is still surprisingly fresh. The climax of the film is genuinely spine chilling and quite well delivered.
Kind of hard to believe this was directed by Bob Clark, the guy responsible for the transvestite exploitation film She-Man, as well as Porky's II and Baby Geniuses. Yeah I don't know.
The mood of this film is just spot-on in most respects, with the thin veneer of holiday festivities just giving things an even more sinister quality by contrast. There's a great sense of cold too, especially during the attic scenes. Perhaps the greatest directorial decision was to use the killer's point of view at points throughout the narrative. This lends a really eerie, voyeuristic quality to what could have otherwise been bland establishing shoots. For instance we see early on in first-person perspective the killer's climbing up the side of the house to get inside. There are also some great twists and turns, as well as open ended questions left unresolved, lending a psychological depth to what could have just been a run-of-the-mill horror b movie.
Also worth mentioning is the soundtrack to the film. It's appropriately warped, and the story goes the compositions were created by fastening forks and knives to the strings of a piano to achieve the effects. While that sounds really cool, to me it comes across more as reel-to-reel tape experimentation. Or at the very least like tapes being slowed down in key places. It all comes together to make Black Christmas a rather unforgettable holiday tradition.
Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house...
Not a creature was stirring...
You're watching this right now aren't you?
@MF: That looks rad and I'll probably try to watch it tomorrow night.
@everyone: Happy Holidays!
I always feel like I'm going insane this time of year :/ I'm not even sure if i should elaborate on that, just... don't be like me, kids; I'm a ******* Grinch...
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 seconds ago
- › Have I burnt my Dacmagic plus? 34 seconds ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 445 Thread 47 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 1 minute ago
- › Soundmagic E10 as a backup for the Shure SE535 and UE900? 3 minutes ago
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 (& Plus) & iOS 8 Sound Quality Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)