or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 131  

post #1951 of 21760
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverant View Post

The question is really a matter of whether or not the author truly knew nothing of Battle Royale. As to whether or not it is possible, I don't know. You'd think BR, at the very least, makes its way around authors circles. I basically agree with MF though, in regards to Japanophiles. It's not always the case though; in regards to the Matrix, the Wachowski's have been very honest about Ghost in the Shell's [the film's] influence.

 

It never occurred to me to link The Matrix with Ghost in the Shell, specifically. However The Matrix is something that gets brought up time and again in undergraduate philosophy classes, as it's rife with a lot of easy to cite examples. I know the Wachowski's apparently said it was their "commentary on the Hegelian dialectic," though it's actually much closer to a Lacanian reading of Hegel with a heavy helping of post-modernism via Baudrillard thrown into the mix.

 

If they ripped off any particular source however, it's Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles."

post #1952 of 21760
Thread Starter 

By the way, HeadAmp will be carrying the new Stax IEMs and portable amps in the coming months. Price will be roughly $650 for the portable system (IEMs plus amp).

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/the-legendaris-stax-iem-strike-back-by-begining-november-2012-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003/30#post_8788778

post #1953 of 21760
This is absolutely bonkers. http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200

JVC just bolted another dynamic driver behind the two micro ones. F* the GR07mk2, saving up for this.
post #1954 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

This is absolutely bonkers. http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200
JVC just bolted another dynamic driver behind the two micro ones. F* the GR07mk2, saving up for this.

 

I wonder if there's a good reason for that with dynamics...

post #1955 of 21760
LOL I wonder about that too. There's bass for the FXT90, good impact and just decent-ish bass extension. Upper mids are kind of great since they're pretty much great for vocals. Guitars aren't that great though. Looking at the marketing material, it seems the third large driver is to fix the decent bass and lower mids.
post #1956 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuroth View Post

It's entirely conceivable that most mainstream reviewers are unaware of Battle Royale.  That makes the hypocracy cry a bit overly dramatic.

This. I've heard of Battle Royale but haven't watched it. We went to Hunger Games but I wasn't overly impressed, I'd give it 2.5 out of 5.
post #1957 of 21760
Hi guys,

Haven't been here for a while. Been too busy to properly keep check of this thread.

On weekends I'm loaded with school work, and on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I'm only at home for a small portion of my evening, since I always go to the manga cafe at those days. That leaves Monday and Tuesday to catch up with all the anime I'm following this season.


What's going on?
post #1958 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

Hi guys,
Haven't been here for a while. Been too busy to properly keep check of this thread.
On weekends I'm loaded with school work, and on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I'm only at home for a small portion of my evening, since I always go to the manga cafe at those days. That leaves Monday and Tuesday to catch up with all the anime I'm following this season.
What's going on?


Not much, we're debating who ripped off who in movies, STAX announced an update in their IEM line which is comprised of only one product and JVC just announced a new triple dynamic IEM. Oh yeah, I received my V-MODA M-100 headphone today

post #1959 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

This is absolutely bonkers. http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200
JVC just bolted another dynamic driver behind the two micro ones. F* the GR07mk2, saving up for this.

Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed the FXT90 but it wasn't as well of an all-rounder compared to the GR07 IMO. It has a really cool shape too biggrin.gif

post #1960 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post
Also, I've been waiting for the Nexus 7 to launch the 32GB variant before I jump on one, but then, I remembered that it can support USB on-the-go. This means that it supposedly can read my 500GB external portable HDD. This also means that whenever I plunk down to watch any anime, I could just connect them together, make a makeshift stand for it, and not worried about space. I just realised this now, and I felt kind of stupid.
But still, I'm waiting for the 32GB variant so that I can get the 16GB one at a cheaper price. Still got to watch anime on the subway!! ph34r.gif

 

Do you plan to watch an entire series on the train? 32gb is good space but 16gb isn't all that bad for my Nexus 7. Then again I just keep a few movies on there (one of them being Battle Royale lol). MX Player is great :3

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

It never occurred to me to link The Matrix with Ghost in the Shell, specifically. However The Matrix is something that gets brought up time and again in undergraduate philosophy classes, as it's rife with a lot of easy to cite examples. I know the Wachowski's apparently said it was their "commentary on the Hegelian dialectic," though it's actually much closer to a Lacanian reading of Hegel with a heavy helping of post-modernism via Baudrillard thrown into the mix.

 

I rewatched the Matrix a while back and I burst out laughing when in the opening scene someone gets something (I think a gun?) out of a hollowed out copy of Simulacra and Simulation. Oddly the movie upon rewatching feels incredibly derivative of itself. ie: The ideas that seemed fresh to me at the time seemed fairly old hat compared to all the other similar movies and ideas it spawned.

 

Definitely I saw the Ghost In the Shell / Akira references in there when I watched it the first time though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

This is absolutely bonkers. http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200
JVC just bolted another dynamic driver behind the two micro ones. F* the GR07mk2, saving up for this.

 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

 

 

Won't even hesitate to push the button on this one.

post #1961 of 21760
Thread Starter 

Japan presents....

 

Bagelheads

 

 

 

Step one: stick a needle into your head and fill it up with saline.

Step two: once you have a massive swollen bulb on your forehead, get someone to push their thumb into the center.

Step three: wait for your body to absorb the saline, and in the meantime enjoy your bizarre outgrowth while contemplating the meaning of life.

 

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/bagelheads-japans-take-on-the-klingon-forehead.html

 

http://theweek.com/article/index/234009/the-bagel-head-japans-strange-new-beauty-trend

 

post #1962 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post


Do you plan to watch an entire series on the train? 32gb is good space but 16gb isn't all that bad for my Nexus 7. Then again I just keep a few movies on there (one of them being Battle Royale lol). MX Player is great :3
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS



Won't even hesitate to push the button on this one.

That would be silly, unless it's a Moscow-St. Petersburg train or London-Paris. More for 1 episode that I want to catch up or something.

Unlike how the FXD80 didn't make me go insta-purchase, the FXZ200 might just be the opposite, since I'm making sure to have the spare money to waste. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Japan presents....

Bagelheads




Step one: stick a needle into your head and fill it up with saline.
Step two: once you have a massive swollen bulb on your forehead, get someone to push their thumb into the center.
Step three: wait for your body to absorb the saline, and in the meantime enjoy your bizarre outgrowth while contemplating the meaning of life.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/bagelheads-japans-take-on-the-klingon-forehead.html

http://theweek.com/article/index/234009/the-bagel-head-japans-strange-new-beauty-trend


Oh Japan... I would want to think that this is because they are seeking attention because their men are more attracted to 2D women...
post #1963 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Japan presents....

 

Bagelheads

 

 

 

 

Step one: stick a needle into your head and fill it up with saline.

Step two: once you have a massive swollen bulb on your forehead, get someone to push their thumb into the center.

Step three: wait for your body to absorb the saline, and in the meantime enjoy your bizarre outgrowth while contemplating the meaning of life.

 

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/bagelheads-japans-take-on-the-klingon-forehead.html

 

http://theweek.com/article/index/234009/the-bagel-head-japans-strange-new-beauty-trend

 

 

 

What...

 

The...

 

?!?!?!

post #1964 of 21760

BTW, anyone has any experiences with iriver MP3 players? (especially last year's generation?)

 

#StillSearchingForMP3PlayingGoodness

post #1965 of 21760

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Japan presents....

 

Bagelheads

 

 

Step one: stick a needle into your head and fill it up with saline.

Step two: once you have a massive swollen bulb on your forehead, get someone to push their thumb into the center.

Step three: wait for your body to absorb the saline, and in the meantime enjoy your bizarre outgrowth while contemplating the meaning of life.

 

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/bagelheads-japans-take-on-the-klingon-forehead.html

 

http://theweek.com/article/index/234009/the-bagel-head-japans-strange-new-beauty-trend

 

Um...I think I'll continue with Forearm Kung Fu...

 

@Gelocks, speaking of which, what is your opinion on Dit Da Jow liniment?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2