Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1288
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So... yeah... I found this picture creepy...
Hellraiser was one of my favorite movies (especially the second one!)
It seems they are going to do a remake... ugh... hopefully they wont screw it up!
Edit: Moved it to a new post because this one got screwed up with these HUGE spaces between everything head-fi wouldn't let me fix for some reason...
Edited by MuppetFace - 11/1/13 at 3:55am
MF On Flicks
. - ~ - . . - ~ - .
. - ~ - .
All Hallows' Eve: the perfect occasion for Nobuhiko Obayashi's Hausu, a deranged artifact of 70s technicolor Japanese horror kitsch and one of my favorite films of all time. Admittedly I'm not that familiar with Obayashi's other works, though I know he directed some classic school ground ghost stories as well as Sada, his version of the same notorious bondage-gone-awry tale that inspired Oshima's In the Realm of the Senses. From what I can tell, most of his work has a similar style to Hausu, a sort of scrapbook-esque collection of meticulously crafted tableaux; almost every shot is set up as if to give the overt impression of being on a small stage, and even 'outdoor' scenes consist of obvious, over-the-top painted backgrounds. The color pallets used in these compositions are usually really vibrant, and---coupled with the soap opera style music---it creates a melodramatic world of perpetual sunsets and sentimental yearning.
Hausu tells the story of a schoolgirl named Gorgeous. All of her friends have similar designations based off of a single defining personality trait: Melody plays the piano, Kung Fu is athletic and jumps around a lot, Sweet is dutiful in performing household chores, Prof is your typical "girl with glasses" trope, etc. etc. All of them are best of friends, bubbly and innocent. They're looking forward to their summer together as they travel to a country house owned by the aunt of Gorgeous. The build up to their arrival is just ridiculous, with the entire town cheerfully sending them off, swaying from side-to-side and singing as they perform mock renditions of their daily routines. Some carpenters for instance swing their hammers as if its the greatest thing in the world, barely connecting with the boards they're working on as they psychotically grin from ear-to-ear, their behavior reminiscent of animatronic props at Disney World. Like the skies above, the below people are purposefully fake. It's all a thin veneer of kitschy carefree sentiment. You can just imagine huge targets painted on the backs of the schoolgirls getting on the rural-bound bus, as you know this surely isn't going to last.
It doesn't. Thanks to a haunted house with a propensity for eating young virgins, Gorgeous and friends more or less have their summer ruined as---one by one---they end up on the menu and get absorbed into the manor's framework. Of course the "highlights" of the film are those scenes in which an innocent, bubbly schoolgirl gets dispatched in some bizarre fashion. Emphasis on the bizarre part. For instance one hapless victim gets attacked by mattresses that seem to have the ability to change her into a doll. Another gets eaten by a carnivorous piano. Really though the whole thing is quite surreal and ridiculous, and during moments of downtime the audience is treated to scenes of a witch and her possessed cat familiar dancing about as they celebrate the slaughter, jump cutting from one position in the room to another in time to a whimsical rattling-bone-and-cat-meow-soundeffect-laden tune.
The remaining girls eventually figure out something is amiss as the plot builds toward some truly sublime final sequences. As if the film itself finally loses its patience and has its nervous breakdown, everything erupts in a frenzy of earthquakes, strobing lights, and geysers of blood. No spoilers for how things ultimate turn out, but really the film outdoes itself leading up to the finale. The whole "ride" analogy is actually quite fitting here rather than just a hopelessly tired cinemaphile cliche: we get furniture used to white water raft down a literal river of blood. Remember the underground slime river from Ghostbusters II? Kind of a precursor to that I s'pose. Along the way though there are plenty of details that are worth mentioning as well. There's a strange little watermelon salesman whom the film seems to imply is part watermelon himself? Dismembered limbs float around as their former owner gets devoured by that piano I mentioned before. Old photographs come to life as moments from the past intrude into the narrative. Someone gets trapped in a burning mirror world. Oh, and there's a fight scene between a Ms. Kung Fu and firewood.
Really Hausu has so many hallmarks of Japanese horror, yet at the same time it manages to defy expectations. Watching it gives me warm and fuzzies. Make it a Halloween tradition, and you'll be a better human being for it.
Reminds me of tub girl.
Every single shot in this film is like some deranged scrapbook collage.
. - ~ - .
Edited by MuppetFace - 11/1/13 at 4:00am
Very cool...audio apparatus since 1840
Edited by Mimouille - 11/1/13 at 4:01am
I can't believe you reminded me of Tub Girl. Sadly it is now past Halloween and it is too late to be spooked. That looks like an amazing movie. How did you come across it in the first place? Where can I get a copy? It looks like a Tetsuya Nakashima film on a bad trip. That last frame alone makes me want to see this movie.
ALSO WHAT COSTUME DID YOU WEAR
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 46 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 57 seconds ago
- › Denver Spring Meet 2017 - May 20th 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 3 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 5 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear