I've been rewatching Big O lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_HTdn3NPE It's like Batman but with giant robots rather than caped heroes/villains. Eva fans should appreciate the ending....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1270
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Prototype for the new Fostex ortho spotted...
Looks nice so far! Fostex doing a new high-end ortho has potential for major win. Now if someone could take a listen....
some teaser info at least.
Post #290 there has a link to someone that says they listened but they were not up to 600 levels, no kidding it seems to be a basic prototype.
hahah there is scattered info all over the place. I'm gettin lost. Not sure what's been shown for pics but these are nice and big. Side shot as well.
I took a guess at the modified driver bit. Who knows though. Be nice to have resurrected the original V0/1 driver to modern material specs, but certainly no complaints here
Edited by nick n - 10/12/13 at 3:07am
Random note, but I find the ATH-CKM1000 infinitely more tolerable with Sony hybrid tips. Sony hybrid tips make a lot of the awful splashy treble go away. ALL HAIL THE HYBRID TIP
*Edit: I mean, it's still pretty bad, but maybe it's bad 50% of the time now and not 100% of the time...
Edited by a_recording - 10/12/13 at 3:10am
Well, keep in mind the individual who said it wasn't up to TH600 levels also preferred the TH600 to the TH900, LCD-XC, and LCD-X. Not citing that to invalidate the opinion, but rather to say this person was obviously very taken by the TH600 and whatever rig it was paired with at the show. It's easy to kind of take that out of context. For instance, I don't see any official word from Fostex or their reps. on whether this new ortho is intended to even compete with the TH600 and TH900 or where it "officially" falls in their lineup. Even if it ends up slotted below the TH600 officially, I might prefer it. Just like I prefer the SR-007 to the SR-009 on the right setup. Thirdly, it's obviously a very early prototype as you pointed out and the post mentioned. Unless Fostex really screwed up on the damping though, I imagine it sounds pretty darn good so far.
Personally I think the current generation T50RP drivers---when properly modded---are able to stand alongside the TH600. It's a different flavor, but they're just as capable in their own way. What I'm more concerned about personally is the relayed statement from the Fostex rep. that these are "based on the current T50RP drivers." Er... huh? Maybe something got lost along the way, like a game of telephone, but that makes it sound as if this thing is just Fostex doing their own modded T50RP. I was hoping for a brand new driver. Now even if it's brand new, it's still going to be based largely on the older T50 drivers, so maybe that's what the rep. meant when he said whatever he said.
Edit: The person who said it ranked below the TH600 apparently doesn't even know if it's an ortho or not (it is). So yeah, I think said person is just sharing his thoughts without any official info.
Edited by MuppetFace - 10/12/13 at 3:16am
I certainly hope there was some slight confusion on driver details as you mentioned there.
Can't see them simply doing their own mod on the typical driver with all the resources they have available at their disposal.
Game of telephone...that one where the message gets increasingly warped as it's told around form one person to another I presume ?
No matter what, I am stoked they are even actually doing this, and anything at all with the Regular Phase lineup. No doubt it'll be something decent. Be a fun wait. Also fun to watch the various comments. Wonder if this hype will go off the charts like the first AKG 812 thread. Though no Nomax so it'll probably stay reasonably normal :)
Edited by nick n - 10/12/13 at 3:26am
Well they would be silly not to do something like that, but the pics make it kind of look like an open headphone...
There were several versions of the T50 from the 70s to early 80s along with a whole host of OEM models. I have the NAD RP18 which is one such OEM based on the T50, probably one of the first spin offs, only it has Mylar diaphragm instead of the Kapton which seemed more common (and bassier?). They look pretty much identical to the picture I posted above. In stock form they sound a bit dull in that vintage sort of way---great mids but kinda "splorchy" bass and lack of high-end extension---but modded they become insane.
I've also got a pair of the Akai ASE-50. They're quite purdy:
They're kind of a Frankenphone, a combination of the T50 and T30 from what I understand (the magnets from one, diaphragm from the other). Haven't modded them yet, as in stock form they've got a rather curious signature, kinda warm and honky but pleasant. I may just leave 'em be since they're so rare. Speaking of which, I also have Kabeer's Aiwa HP-500. Only like two or three of these things have ever been documented in the wild. I believe the magnets are the same as the T50s, and the diaphragm is like the Sansui SS-100's which is likely another Fostex OEM as it has a similar voice coil (but the T30's diaphragm material).
Phew. Kinda confusing.
But the Aiwas sound amazing, easily one of the best vintage orthos I've ever heard, pretty much comparable to the LCD-2 and best modded T50RPs out there.
All info and pictures courtesy of Wikiphonia.
Man why does hifi equipment have to sound so much better after midnight, honestly it sounds considerably better, and I am just listening to some redbook album buried deep on my hard drive. Maybe it's a great recording, I will have to listen tomorrow. One of those "nothing is missing" type of hifi experiences. It's fine and all but it's not really convenient to do listening so late...
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 22 seconds ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 23 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › What exactly do I need ? 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 AMP? 8 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear