- 9,935 Posts. Joined 3/2011
- Location: Selected Ambient Hype 85 - 92
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Is headphone "break-in" an actual phenomenon? Last post on 7/12/14 at 7:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
thanks to it's overall sound quality, details are not even a problem with kdx200. you'll get back every detail you lost on cheaper models like Xiaomi Piston, Brainwavz M4-M5. and there's also some...
after M4 & Xiaomi Piston 2, i finally got a M5 to audition. i listened it for 2 days and here's my thoughts: soundstage is the same again. small in every aspect. bass, treble, vocals, mids...
These are great headphones I was turned onto from the forum. On this forum you have to assess who is enthusiastic about what. Generally, there is a difference between enthusiasm from novices...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1205
Gear mentioned in this thread:
XBA-H3 huh. Cautiously optimistic about sound. Soon to be saddened by price.
Some interesting tidbits regarding the H3:
- Full range 16mm dynamic.
- Assuming it's one of the 600-1000 series drivers.
- Dual BA
- Full Range, and
- Super Tweeter
- Sound design input from random music guys
Oh, and wow, that came out of the Sony left field...
Any step toward bringing back the dynamic flagships is welcome, but I think I'll pass on the hybrids - too many technical challenges to overcome, esp. at this price range, call me a pessimist.
Speaking as someone whose smoked since the age of 14 I wish there was a way to drive the tobacco industry into the sea. Im the worst kind of smoker there is, I'm the kind of smoker who smokes not only for the nicotine fix but also because I love the taste. In short, I'm a nicotine addict. The pic you posted of the pack of smokes has been done here in Canada for over a decade using even worse pics then that. Personally, I have little remorse for the tobacco companies whose product has ruined millions of people's health and has left me a nicotine junkie. What enrages me more about all this is this addiction was all my fault. Nobody forced me to smoke, I succumbed to pier pressure when I was a kid and the end result, a lifetime addiction. I wish there was a way to turn back the clock to that day I sparked up my first cigarette.
I've tried lozenges and the patch and both failed miserably. I've considered Champex but decided against it because of the crazy expense for the pills which are not covered by the Canadian Medical Insurance and the fear of some of the side effects. When on the patches and lozenges I suffered crazy side effects such as rash, nausea and dizziness. If you're looking to substitute cigarettes have you considered giving vaping a try? It's been 6 weeks for me and I haven't touched one cigarette in that time. Yes I'm still a nicotine addict but at least I've gotten rid of 500 bad chemicals and substituted it with something that has only one or two. SNUS isn't as bad as smoking but you're still opening yourself up to cancer, especially throat and stomach cancer. Think about it, it might be a viable alternative for you. PM me if you would like some more info on what to look into and where to get the better manufactured juices.
Edited by DigitalFreak - 9/4/13 at 10:17pm
Hehe. Snus is such an adorable word! It sounds like a sleepy monster. And those cans are so attractive...
Here in Australia they recently passed plain packaging laws which mean that all cigarettes must be sold in brown cardboard boxes of identical size and lettering, with giant mandated health warnings.
A Little Graphic (Click to show)
Put a picture of this packaging in spoiler tags. Honestly I chose the least confronting one because the rest of the packages are ghastly: http://www.yourhealth.gov.au/internet/yourhealth/publishing.nsf/content/plainpack-tobacco#.UifJXmRsZN6
I don't want to start a huge debate here but I'm not sure what I feel about the law or this area of law in general. On the one hand I do think there are ethical reasons why the sale of any addictive substance should be regulated and the promotion of addictive substances should be curtailed. On the other hand I think most people are aware of the health effects of smoking, and this is a bit of government overreach into an entirely legal industry. This must be especially grating for the tobacco industry considering that alcohol is a more of a destructive substance in Australian culture (we have a terrible binge drinking culture here) and doesn't see as much government regulation. Personally although I am not a smoker, tobacco or otherwise, I support the legalisation of a broad class of substances. Strangely, a bad experience I had in the past reinforced that view in my mind. Sometimes I worry legislation like this is a stepping stone to regulating even more substances. ie: sugar On the other hand I saw a morbidly obese man who was clearly losing his leg to diabetes at a supermarket counter with a trolley literally full of 2 litre bottles of Pepsi and nothing else.
As for the law itself, it's been in place for a while now and some of the effects have been:
1. People think their cigarettes taste worse with the new packaging
2. People are switching to cheaper cigarettes
3. People are buying (legal) box sleeves for their boxes
4. People are quitting in higher numbers
All hail the nanny state, I guess we can look forward to seeing pics of rotting teeth, and 300lb people in Spandextm, on bottles of Coca-Cola, when they get around to it. Nice.
I have a friend that has smoked since he was a teen - and has also quit at least 5 or 6 times over the last 30+ years - including periods where he did not smoke for several years in a stretch. But there always seems to be some stressor that hits him during a weak moment - and he goes back on the nicotine. He's a very smart and very driven guy, and in all other parts of his life there is nothing that can get in his way - but the cigs just seem to have him by the testicles. His father was a lifelong heavy smoker and functioning alcoholic that eventually died of stomach cancer - and I suspect my friend inherited (through nature or nurture) some of his father's compulsive/addictive personality. He hates it, and he's ashamed of his inability to quit for keeps.
Well, there is a way to quit cigs, get him a nice pipe. Much fewer chemicals and it smells better.
But yes this must have been announced at the IFA conference and I missed it. There is also a new, seemingly flagship headphone announced at IFA - and the brief shots I saw of it seemed to suggest to me a premium version of the MDR-1R.
I say that with some confidence because the Sony rep I keep in contact with has teased something I would be all over like white on rice coming up soon, and considering how I kind of have repeatedly expressed a desire for a better built MDR-1R I think he hit the nail on the head.
BTW, what about the MDR-1R special edition or whatever!? :-p
If you guys are talking about the 10R, I'm not exactly sure it's supposed to be a flagship. I believe it's priced at only $199, which would indicate more of a derivative.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Trekkie advised not to watch this.
Wish I took your advice
That looks pretty cool.
I have to admit I'm happy that smoking's been so thoroughly banned in restaurants, bars, and whatever else within the past... 15 years or so? I literally can't breathe around the stuff -- it's the worst smelling thing in the world to me and I don't think that will ever change unless I picked up the habit myself. Otherwise, yeah, I think we've gone overboard on the taxes and such and people should have every right to use them if they like. I'd legalize all sorts of **** if it were up to me.
I too think it's for the better that smoking has been squeezed so hard by legislation. I can't say I personally had that much of an issue with second hand smoke. I thunk it's perfectly reasonable that certain codes of behaviour should be enforced. The South Park smoking episode springs to mind, as does Thank You For Smoking. I don't think however that double standards are any reason to make it easier for people to harm themselves, although it does make for good television.
Funny thing with binge drinking is that bartenders undergo training called "responsible service of alcohol" which I'm quite sure covers how not to get patrons blind drunk. Similarly I have no idea how many times bouncers have given me hard time when I have had a beer with dinner beforehand. I guess the bouncer wants to make sure patrons are sober enough to spend good money getting drunk in that particular establishment.
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › JH Audio's continued collaboration with A&K: Introducing Layla & Angie 52 seconds ago
- › Heads up! Dick Smith "Premium headphones VT H68" aluminum and... 2 minutes ago
- › Synergistic Research HOT device 3 minutes ago
- › Recommend a tube headphone amp for my Grados 3 minutes ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)