Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1191

post #17851 of 21396

lol.
 

post #17852 of 21396

Just won an ebay auction for one of these http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Tri-Dimensional-Chess-Franklin/dp/B0018S4WM0 .  Pretty stoked.

post #17853 of 21396
Thread Starter 

Your coolness factor just went up exponentially in my book.

 

Geek envy.

post #17854 of 21396
More like Trek envy
post #17855 of 21396

My roommate and I were watching that ep of TNG last night where Picard gets sent back to the past to resolve that conflict with the Nausicans over magnet-pinball pool and I was just like "god I love these fake-ass future games... do you think there are tri dimensional chess boards out there?"  And there are!

post #17856 of 21396

Double Post

 

Probably old news, but I've been really obsessed with DooM lately and came across this while looking for cool wads:

 

 

 

pretty hilarious, imo

post #17857 of 21396
Does anyone find it weird to say Sub'd when you subscribe to a thread? Who cares? Unless you have something interesting to say. Well it is just like in conversations, people often talk without pondering the interest of what they want to say.

Back to music...listening to The Knife's Deep Cuts album...damn I love them. I actually discovered them through Jose Gonzales' cover of Heartbeats on the incredible Veneer album. Swedish music rocks.
post #17858 of 21396

Man, I really like that album too

 

Though, with a few exceptions, I can't say I've been a fan of their newer sound from Silent Shout onward :/

post #17859 of 21396
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

Man, I really like that album too

Though, with a few exceptions, I can't say I've been a fan of their newer sound from Silent Shout onward :/
Well the last one is interesting but I see your point. I really like Fever Ray's solo album too.
post #17860 of 21396
Thread Starter 

I LOL'd hard at the Call of Dooty vids.

 

Edit: I really liked The Knife's latest album Shaking the Habitual. Didn't care as much for Silent Shout, but in general I like their trajectory into weirder art pop territory.


Edited by MuppetFace - 8/31/13 at 9:50am
post #17861 of 21396

I dunno, I liked the feel I got out of some tracks initially, but it's the kind of thing I never feel like going back to.  Perhaps that's less of an issue than I make it out to be.

 

Also, this may be because I'm relatively young and spend a really unhealthy amount of time on the internet (this is probably it, actually), but when I hear stuff like "let's talk about gender baby; let's talk about you and me" my gut reaction is "man, who isn't talking about gender?"  Is this actually all that edgy?  Maybe I'd feel different if the song felt more personal particularly insightful *shrug*.


Edited by driver 8 - 8/31/13 at 9:57am
post #17862 of 21396
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

I dunno, I liked the feel I got out of some tracks initially, but it's the kind of thing I never feel like going back to.  Perhaps that's less of an issue than I make it out to be.

Also, this may be because I'm relatively young and spend a really unhealthy amount of time on the internet (this is probably it, actually), but when I hear stuff like "let's talk about gender baby; let's talk about you and me" my gut reaction is "man, who isn't talking about gender?"  Is this actually all that edgy?  Maybe I'd feel different if the song felt more personal particularly insightful *shrug*.
Edgy you mean like Miley at the VMA wink.gif
post #17863 of 21396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Does anyone find it weird to say Sub'd when you subscribe to a thread? Who cares? Unless you have something interesting to say. Well it is just like in conversations, people often talk without pondering the interest of what they want to say.

Back to music...listening to The Knife's Deep Cuts album...damn I love them. I actually discovered them through Jose Gonzales' cover of Heartbeats on the incredible Veneer album. Swedish music rocks.

Yea. I'd love to know when that particular internet habit started. It's rising up there with unboxing vids and the use of the bestardized "prolly" , in the warped human interaction caused by the web category.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Edgy you mean like Miley at the VMA wink.gif

Ouch!

post #17864 of 21396
Thread Starter 

Actually I don't think that's an attempt at being edgy so much as a play on pop music of the past. The original song's lyrics were: "let's talk about sex baby; let's talk about you and me." In the original the term meant the act of carnal passion, but here they're playing on the fact that sex can also be used to mean biological sex.

 

Even if that wasn't the case, why assume bringing up gender is an attempt at being edgy in the first place? If anything I think that speaks more toward Internet culture. On the Internet we (in the collective sense) tend to assume gender talk is an attempt by people to get attention.

 

Also keep in mind The Knife is from Sweden. There's been some controversy there in recent years about policies toward transgendered people that require them to be sterilized.

 

But yeah, I have to say, the music itself on Shaking the Habitual is pretty edgy from a commercial pop standpoint. Kind of like The Flaming Lips' recent stuff. Sure, when you compare it to stuff on the bleeding edge of underground music it's nothing to get your knickers in a twist about, but in terms of music you can pick up at your local Best Buy, it's actually pretty far out there.


Edited by MuppetFace - 8/31/13 at 10:42am
post #17865 of 21396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Yea. I'd love to know when that particular internet habit started. It's rising up there with unboxing vids and the use of the bestardized "prolly" , in the warped human interaction caused by the web category.
Well there some good aspects...face to face interactions entail some good self censorship sometimes but allows the loudest to prevail. The web is often more democratic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2