Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1190  

post #17836 of 21761

Also: I was looking around for headphones to transplant T50RP drivers in and my friend suggested these:

 

http://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze88classics.html

 

 

These appear to be Audio Technica clones, though a weird frankenstein of AT design since Audio Technica never combines their 3D Wings with 180 degree swivelling earcups.

 

Kind of amusing since I thought Audio Technica very explicitly has a design patent on the 3D wing.

 

I might try to get a pair of these just for fun...

post #17837 of 21761
Pipe organs are amazing though, aesthetic wise. Especially in your dungeons.
post #17838 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Also: I was looking around for headphones to transplant T50RP drivers in and my friend suggested these:

 

http://www.mezeheadphones.com/meze88classics.html

 

 

These appear to be Audio Technica clones, though a weird frankenstein of AT design since Audio Technica never combines their 3D Wings with 180 degree swivelling earcups.

 

Kind of amusing since I thought Audio Technica very explicitly has a design patent on the 3D wing.

 

I might try to get a pair of these just for fun...

 

A lot of thing reviewers I'm subscribed to on YouTube reviewed those awhile back, but none of them had any background in the hobby so *shrug*.  Burson had a similar strategy years back where they had a bunch of "what's a headphone amp?" computer geeks review their products.  Seemed weird to me and I can't imagine many people watching, say, Lockergnome going "oh, of course, I need this $650 half-a-sound-card!" 

post #17839 of 21761
Today is actually Malaysia's 56 independence anniversary. After living in Russia for four years, I can't help to compare the live broadcasted event to Russia's Victory Day parade in Moscow I went this year. Deapite of that though, I still feel proud to be a born Malaysian. Wish I could go to one one day. The energy is just not there watching through a screen.
post #17840 of 21761

@MuppetFace

 

Love the shell color of the 1Plus2, congrats on the new toy.

You think if HifiMan releases a new flagship they'll faze out the old HE-6 completely or do a Sennheiser and keep it in the lineup?

As for the vote, I vote Cardas


@Warren

 

I picked the JH16 because I have a theory that deep down you're a closet bass head so I say get the JH16 and enjoy some bass in ya face.

 

As for what made me pick the customs I did, I first pulled the trigger on the 4A because Heir had a 40% off sale last black Friday. Also, I really liked the wood aesthetics Heir offered and liked the idea of supporting a fellow head-fier who originally got started making customs as a hobby. The UERM I've always been curious about and wanted. Everything I read about them the reviewers always conveyed the same final impression, neutral and transparent, As much as I like to play around with colored sigs I really wanted a piece of gear that was neutral and transparent. The 4A is a very good sounding CIEM but it's not as capable as the UERM, IMO. The next step, get myself a kickass sounding basshead CIEM and call it a decade as far as CIEM's are concerned. As an aside, I also toyed around with the idea of getting the JH13 but for whatever reason the UERM won out.


General musing for the thread.

 

Maybe I've just grown up, as far as the hobby is concerned, but the deeper I get involved in this hobby the more I find my tastes have changed. I used to love experimenting with cans that had colored sigs but as time goes on i'm more and more drawn to a neutral sound. It's gotten to the point that very little out there holds much interest for me anymore. There are exceptions to the rule in that i'm still intrigued by the Fostex and FitEar gear, but, for whatever reason I find myself wishing an endgame neutral flagship would come along soon. Anyone think the rumors that AKG may put out a successor to the K1000 is true? I'd love to see AKG come out of nowhere and completely shock everyone with something sounding killer.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 8/30/13 at 7:18pm
post #17841 of 21761
post #17842 of 21761

Friday night? We no jokin', baby! Ours started @ 2100 hours with the following concert recording:

 

post #17843 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


General musing for the thread.

 

Maybe I've just grown up, as far as the hobby is concerned, but the deeper I get involved in this hobby the more I find my tastes have changed. I used to love experimenting with cans that had colored sigs but as time goes on i'm more and more drawn to a neutral sound. It's gotten to the point that very little out there holds much interest for me anymore. There are exceptions to the rule in that i'm still intrigued by the Fostex and FitEar gear, but, for whatever reason I find myself wishing an endgame neutral flagship would come along soon. Anyone think the rumors that AKG may put out a successor to the K1000 is true? I'd love to see AKG come out of nowhere and completely shock everyone with something sounding killer.

 

Wouldn't you love to re-direct your focus to enjoying the music? wink.gif

post #17844 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Wouldn't you love to re-direct your focus to enjoying the music? wink.gif


Trust me, since I've gotten into this hobby people think I'm crazier then usual because they see me bopping harder to tunes and collecting even more music. I routinely drop a good 100-150 on CD purchases a month.

post #17845 of 21761
Nope. The RT is 350 for a student here, my mistake tongue.gif Anyways,a question for the camera buffs here, is the Panasonic Lumix GF2/GF3 a good buy? What about the lens selection?

Edited by veyrongatti - 8/30/13 at 10:02pm
post #17846 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Shhh... don't let my WA7 hear you!  It, um, didn't have a very good time on its date with an HE-6.  frown.gif

Wut?!  eek.gif

I think the EF-5 is a more powerful "blunt instrument", in comparison, probably not as finessed at all. But it does the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

Oh? Do you know what its output strength is in watts?  Their site says "15 Volts at 32 Ohm" and I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

I tried the HE-6 off some big TTVJ amp that seemed similarly powerful to the BA and thought it had the same shortcomings BA -> LCD-3 does.

2W into 50 Ohms, at one time Fang sold the two together as a package because they do sound great together.
post #17847 of 21761

 

My first thought was to post this in one of the sound science threads but I'd probably get killed if I did. They don't seem to have a good sense of ha ha in there.

post #17848 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 

My first thought was to post this in one of the sound science threads but I'd probably get killed if I did. They don't seem to have a good sense of ha ha in there.

Hmm apparently in Germany Red Bull Give you Schiz:)

 

They have not found a way to quantitatively measure a sense of humour over in SS. I'm certain when they do and can plot it on a CSD we will never hear the end of itvery_evil_smiley.gif

post #17849 of 21761
@Warren: performance wise, some universals are as good or better tham the best customs, but in my opinion there are less than 5 such universals, and from the ones I have heard, only the 1plus2 is at the level of my SE5. Bu then it is a matter of preference at this level. If sq is the same, I prefer customs since to me they provide a more immersive experience than universals due to better comfort and isolation. The surface of contact of the customs with the ear is bigger so you feel the music more...IMO.

As for choosing a custom, build quality is important and I feel like some brands stand out. JH and UM are good but not incredible it seems, UE seems slightly better, then I feel like Spiral Ear and Fitear are really above. Heir also has great build but their TOTL does not seem on par with other TOTL, but I could not say.

For sound, it depends what you value, Miracles are elegant, a bit polite, quite airy. Jh13 I do not know but it seems clarity is their forte. Se5 are very natural with great extension both ways. 335 I tried only briefly but they have heavy bass and thick mids with intimate presentation. So it really depends what you like...
post #17850 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

 

... Lockergnome going "oh, of course, I need this $650 half-a-sound-card!" 

I don't if I'm alone on this, but I'm extremely ambivalent when it comes to LockerGnome. On one hand, I really like some of the things he has to say, I think he does pretty good reviews (on some things) and I like his video style of cutting together small, speedy microsegments of words to describe whatever he wants to describe. On the other hand, I can't stand him. Yet I don't think someone like Tom from Overclock3d, Logan from TecSyndicate or anyone else could pull it off is a similar manner. Still, I can't stand that gnome. So, very weird to like him and his style, but still be appaled by him and his style. It's like I want to see his videos, yet when I push play, I immidiately fast forward for a few good seconds just to turn it off and think to myself "Well said gnome".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2