Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1164

post #17446 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

We do not get paid by the recycler - they pick-up, inventory and issue a certificate of destruction for the data in exchange for the items. We need that certificate of destruction in case of a HIPAA audit.

Our Controller is very conservative - sometimes too much so - they also depreciate enterprise SW over 3 years - and that is nuts. There is no way a company is going to swap $1M worth of ERP or CRM SW every 3 years.
The supervisor of our IT dept will call the local colleges and tell them the corner that he's leaving equipment on because of all the paperwork that goes into even donating equipment due to hipaa audits, even if they never get used at all in the hospital. I can see if they wanted to destroy HDDs and to some paranoid extent, ram... but whole computers? wtf? The monitor doesn't retain any info you nitwits!!! angry_face.gif
Edited by MrEleventy - 8/23/13 at 9:15am
post #17447 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Thats a good plan. I still run into clients who depreciate over 5 years. You just cannot get some accounting departments to see cents and change their ways.

It's just for the books. Has nothing to do with the economic or usability depreciation. In theory it should reasonably be indicative of useful life, but they just use standard numbers.

The accounting dept shouldn't care either way 3 or 5. Makes no difference to them. They will tell management that they want to increase expenses and then have dead assets in 3 years vs 5 and management will say don't do it and accounting will say ok. People in general think accountants have way too much control, blaming the bean counters lol, but they pretty much just report on and record the actions of management. And advise if management will listen.
Edited by vwinter - 8/23/13 at 9:01am
post #17448 of 21419

Random head-fi related post, aka Fiio E7, vintage PCDP's and my first 6 (operational) hours with a Makerbot:
 

 

So I figured I should take a look at where desktop 3D printing is. I'm not a stranger to 3D printing, but new to FDM... which I've always dismissed as a toy process. But I finally got a Makerbot 2.

 

 

It's not that I was expecting to print straight away but the startup hassle of the Makerbot reminds me of the personal computers of the early 80's... they worked, but required that you know the various perculiarities of the unit due to their definite hobbyist genesis. The example test prints included with the machine that I used eventually printed, but there were definitely frustrations and even one bricking. So after the test example prints, what 'proper thing' do I print first? I realised I had a problem nagging me for a while and thought I'd solve it. I've been using the Fiio E7 with my PCDP's as a minimal rig recently and I didn't want amp, cable, player to be spread around the place.


I threw together the test design in about 5 minutes, with the major consideration being wanting to steer clear of having to print supports for now. In fact, the longest part of putting this together was measuring the E7 properly and agonising a full minute over whether to fillet the edges on the side where the controls for the E7 would be exposed. However to print it took ~3 hours in standard, i.e. faster, res(!). Overall accuracy is definitely toy-like, but perfectly acceptable for intended use. The biggest hassle was hacking the part off the build raft: I managed to draw blood in the process. Perhaps I'll put trust in the spatula next time and not bother rafting.


 



I was worried about shrinkage and the slightly uneven print affecting fit, but took Makerware's word in terms of dimensions. Turns out I needn't have worried: As you can see, the E7 fits like a glove (it was obviously intended to, but it's always nice when a plan comes together).
 

 


(Shown complete with the bangraman-own-label Leimas Purple Wombat(R) interconnect featuring strands ordered in the "Frivoloussi sequence" AKA "BS Section".)

 


Rough design's quite usable as is, but I realised after printing it that it doesn't look 80's. Will have to work on that, along with some functional upgrades (closing off the side and putting in extension buttons, swappable sliding & locking top plates with some sort of half-case for the host PCDP, if I can figure out how best to get a grip around the back of each PCDP... quite tricky).


The Makerbot? From my POV it's handy to have around the house, but it's way too slow and inaccurate for almost anything to do with work. On the plus side, FDM is mess-free (unless you want to get into fine finishing, which admittedly this printing tech could really do with). Fun toy.



 

post #17449 of 21419
Christ. Bangraman. Such a blast from ze past man. Don't suppose you've bumped into Scrypt by any chance?
post #17450 of 21419

One would not just bump into Scrypt, I think... you'd need to be in a cravat and drinking absinthe in a literary club's lounge or something.

post #17451 of 21419

After a lot of screwups and gross negligence the past couple of years, I've finally gotten confirmation that I have, in fact, earned my undergrad.  I hadn't checked my grade in the last course I needed because grades terrify me (I think I got a B, but still), but I got a "hey, your diploma's coming in a couple weeks!" letter just now.  That's kind of exciting.

post #17452 of 21419
^ Congrats!
Onward and upward.


That reminds me, I need to pick up my diploma. It's been sitting at the registrar's office for almost 5 months now. Not my fault, I went once and they wouldn't give it to me.
post #17453 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post

One would not just bump into Scrypt, I think... you'd need to be in a cravat and drinking absinthe in a literary club's lounge or something.

Ha! Too true. He was my favorite wordsmith on the ol' T-boards, nobody quite like that one, ol' Scrypt. I came back the other day to see what was what, only to find my account was deleted. I spent about a decade of my life on those boards. :l Alas, c'est la vie.

Driver: Congrats! I just noticed that your K3K's are literally a city away from me at the moment. *sigh* Stupid inefficient post office
Edited by Idsynchrono_24 - 8/23/13 at 2:07pm
post #17454 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

After a lot of screwups and gross negligence the past couple of years, I've finally gotten confirmation that I have, in fact, earned my undergrad.  I hadn't checked my grade in the last course I needed because grades terrify me (I think I got a B, but still), but I got a "hey, your diploma's coming in a couple weeks!" letter just now.  That's kind of exciting.

 

Yay!!

Congrats!!

post #17455 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post

 

Overall accuracy is definitely toy-like, but perfectly acceptable for intended use. The biggest hassle was hacking the part off the build raft: I managed to draw blood in the process. Perhaps I'll put trust in the spatula next time and not bother rafting.

 

 

I too cut my finger open cutting off support material! You can see the bandage in my latest video haha. I tend to bless every new technology product I own with my own blood.

 

I actually have been working on something cool in the past few days and I think I want to start a new 3D printing thread if it isn't already one here. :3

 

Nice to know that there is someone else here with a printer. Did you have any long term plans for it? :3

post #17456 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

8 / 20 / 13

Dear Diary,

 

Oh boy. So I woke up this Saturday morning and started to read through your hyperpost Mupps. I've gotten halfway but I have to stop otherwise I will forget all the things I wanted to comment on. On such a long post, quote and reply doesn't really work because it is incredibly tedious quoting the post and then deleting the passages that are not important. The long posts are cool but would you please consider dividing it up into sub posts just so its easier to respond? Haha.

 

Anyway, here are my comments - I got as far as Pluto's 'Mr Westward':

 

- Your Talkboy / Talkgirl reminds me of this story I recently heard on The Moth about a trans guy trying to find a 'masculine' mountain bike: http://themoth.org/posts/stories/the-pink-stallion Pink is a cool colour but I can no longer tell if I like it because it seems subversive to do so or because its neato. I literally cannot look at the colour pink and not form associations in my mind. I've never seen a pink object that did not ever seem 'conceptually' pink. Except for maybe, like, raw meet or viscera etc.

 

- I was introduced to Boris via some of your earlier posts as well as the movie Confessions. While I like Tetsuya Nakashima's 'Kamikaze Girls' and 'Memories of Matsuko' better, Confessions feels like a 2 hour long manga adaptation / music video that I think you might get a kick out of. It's a gorgeous movie if nothing else, though annoyingly the Japanese trailers for it suck like all Japanese trailers seem to do. (Seriously, what gives - why are Japanese trailers so awful?)

 

- Totally get where you are coming from with the feeling of masochism / catharsis with harsh music. I went on a Minimalist music bender at some point for the same reason, though I really should look more into drone. I really liked the Goslings track you posted. I was listening on the Amperiors and just the sheer texture of it gave me the heeby jeebies.

 

- Yes, now that you say it, it is TOTALLY WEIRD that Pluto is just a normal dog in a metaverse full of anthropomorphic animal characters. What does Goofy think of him? What do all the other characters think he is? Is it like a Brave New World scenario where there are different tiers of Disney characters and Pluto is part of some subordinate Delta class of character? SO WEIRD.

 

That is weird in the same way that Pepe Le Pew's entire character motivation is that he wants to sexually assault a house cat.

 

Edit: I was reading the Wiki entry for Pepe Le Pew (which is delightfully comprehensive and probably has escaped the attention of overzealous Wikipedia mods) and found this wonderful comment:

 

Quote:

This cartoon is notable for not only diverging from the Pepé/female-black-cat dynamic, but also rather cheekily showing that Pepé likes to be beaten up, considering the Wild Cat thrashed him numerous times.

 

Oh officer!


Edited by a_recording - 8/23/13 at 5:14pm
post #17457 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

After a lot of screwups and gross negligence the past couple of years, I've finally gotten confirmation that I have, in fact, earned my undergrad.  I hadn't checked my grade in the last course I needed because grades terrify me (I think I got a B, but still), but I got a "hey, your diploma's coming in a couple weeks!" letter just now.  That's kind of exciting.

 

thumbsup.gif

post #17458 of 21419

Another random thing:

 

I saw these yesterday. They look really neat in white. I am actually very intrigued.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Inspiration-In-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00C39KCQ8

post #17459 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

After a lot of screwups and gross negligence the past couple of years, I've finally gotten confirmation that I have, in fact, earned my undergrad.  I hadn't checked my grade in the last course I needed because grades terrify me (I think I got a B, but still), but I got a "hey, your diploma's coming in a couple weeks!" letter just now.  That's kind of exciting.
Man, I totally feel you on that. I took the long screwed up route. Came close to graduating 3 times. Felt great when I got the official confirmation. Congrats!
post #17460 of 21419
Thread Starter 

Weird, whenever I get on head-fi now, my MacBook Pro's fan starts revving up like its consuming a ton of system resources or something. I've tried cleaering the SMC just in case, but it seems to only happen when I open up head-fi in my browser.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2