or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1118  

post #16756 of 21760

I love how Logitech rates their subwoofers for insane figures like 1,000w when I'm pretty sure those cheap chipboard speaker cabinets they use would explode if you pumped that  much continuous power into them.

 

Speaking of which, I ordered something really fun and neat last night :D

 

http://www.fostex.jp/kanspi_eng/index.html

 

JOY OF MAKING DIY SPEAKER KANSPEA

 

I was thinking of doing another speaker building project and was looking up full range drivers, and then found out that I could get these kits from Fostex for very cheap on eBay. (Cheaper than trying to find the drivers individually it seems). So I've ordered the whole kit and I'm going to get a TA2020 Class T amplifier and see what about $150 buys you.

 

I would post some of the neat builds that are featured on that website but the picture widget on this forum crashes in IE10 which is the only browser I can use that supports touch controls properly on my Surface :P

 

BIRTHDAY BOY GO FIX THAT

 

 

 

post #16757 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Feels pretty awesome to remember the future before you forgot the past doesn't it?  It's like having some kind of quasi-mastery over time and space.  smile.gif   Thanks again!

The only thing I have a mastery of after reading that sentence is a headache.

 

VICTORY!  biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Happy upcoming birthday, Warren! beerchug.gif

 

Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

HAPPY BELATED EARLY BIRTHDAY WARREN!

 

Belated early? confused.gif  Whatever, ... X2!  smile_phones.gif

 

Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

So, um, happy birthday warren?

 

Thank you gentlemen!  smile.gif

 

Hey, here's an idea... in celebration of my birthday, one lucky Diary Thread member (who doesn't already have one) will be getting a custom title!  I'll do a random draw of all birthday wishes.  Once a winner is chosen, we'll let the rest of the Diary Thread determine how to victimize honor him/her.  biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

 

Are you at the age where the AARP stuff  will start appearing in the mailbox? biggrin.gif

 

Funny you mention that, I was an associate member years ago when my Mom became a member.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I would post some of the neat builds that are featured on that website but the picture widget on this forum crashes in IE10 which is the only browser I can use that supports touch controls properly on my Surface :P

 

BIRTHDAY BOY GO FIX THAT

 

I would, but as that is a Huddler issue, it's beyond my pay grade.  frown.gif  I'm pretty sure that this is the one you wanted to post though: 

 


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

post #16758 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

It is. A variant of BMF's DBV #3 mod using beyer gel pads. Her name is Nami.

I never thought of read you complaining about Nami Chan.

It's still pretty great mind, but I'm surprised by it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post




I had the Logitech Z 5500 system when it first appeared.
In its price class tough to beat, was a very good product and scaled up to the source feed nicely.

Aluminum tweeters, 10" long throw bass for the boom, fun for gaming, worked well with a good sound card or a quality DVD player with analog out...

That's a way out of my range of what I paid lol. It's just a simple 2.1 set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post


Thank you gentlemen!  smile.gif

Hey, here's an idea... in celebration of my birthday, one lucky Diary Thread member (who doesn't already have one) will be getting a custom title!  I'll do a random draw of all birthday wishes.  Once a winner is chosen, we'll let the rest of the Diary Thread determine how to victimize honor him/her.  biggrin.gif

THIS IS BLACKMAIL! I like it.
post #16759 of 21760
And that Kanspea thing sounds (heh) awesome.
post #16760 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I love how Logitech rates their subwoofers for insane figures like 1,000w when I'm pretty sure those cheap chipboard speaker cabinets they use would explode if you pumped that  much continuous power into them.

The Z5500 sub had a 188 Watt amp on it to power the sub speaker, from the Logitech website.
It had thermal protection, shutting down when too hot, not much chance to blow the cabinet.

The speaker, while not officially documented, was said to have a rated power input of 180W with a maximum power input of 360W.
Measured just like this : Z5500 Subwoofer

The system had a fixed crossover frequency of around 120 Hz indicating the sub woofer handles quite a bit of sound output for this system, overall rated for 120dB SPL.
Or, the sound of thunder just before the threshold of pain, quite the bass fix, even if the sub maxed out around 90dB.

The wall material could have been thicker and denser to prevent flex but this set up was a bargain, eliminating the need for an A/V receiver.
If you were to complete a DIY build, starting with MDF walls and a press basket paper driver likely isn't in the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

That's a way out of my range of what I paid lol. It's just a simple 2.1 set.

It was around $300 when it debuted as shown, not prohibitive.
I do know what you mean about the sound, it was easy on the ears.
Ran mine in 2.1 most of time anyway...
Edited by 5aces - 8/5/13 at 7:43pm
post #16761 of 21760

Happy Birthday Warren ^^ 


On the positive side, you're a year wiser biggrin.gif

 

On the negative side, you're now a year older.....tongue_smile.gif

 

I just realized it was the birth of your head fi account not your actual birthday........ Seems like my brain isn't working and I have a test in less than 2 hours......... cool.gif


Edited by veyrongatti - 8/5/13 at 5:42pm
post #16762 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Hey, here's an idea... in celebration of my birthday, one lucky Diary Thread member (who doesn't already have one) will be getting a custom title!  I'll do a random draw of all birthday wishes.  Once a winner is chosen, we'll let the rest of the Diary Thread determine how to victimize honor him/her.  biggrin.gif

Exciting and terrifying all at once. Awesome!
post #16763 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

VICTORY!  biggrin.gif

 

 

Thank you gentlemen!  smile.gif

 

Hey, here's an idea... in celebration of my birthday, one lucky Diary Thread member (who doesn't already have one) will be getting a custom title!  I'll do a random draw of all birthday wishes.  Once a winner is chosen, we'll let the rest of the Diary Thread determine how to victimize honor him/her.  biggrin.gif

 

 

 

Okay man, now there is definitely NO WAY I'm wishing you a happy pre post or other chronologically prefixed birthdaybiggrin.gif

post #16764 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

The Z5500 sub had a 188 Watt amp on it to power the sub speaker, from the Logitech website.
...

 

Hey, I didn't mean to diss that specific setup. I heard good things about the Z5500. I just remember going to a friends house and he had the box for a particular Z series system that had a subwoofer rated for some insane 1kW figure. I think we sold those back when I worked in retail. We would sit the subwoofer right next to the PC's and I would worry that the magnet might erase the hard drive hur hur.

 

My own DIY speaker is a monstrosity of 18mm MDF, heavy as all heck with a double thick front baffle. It sounds pretty good too, provided you are prepared to equalise the low frequency response because it's a sealed box. I really should get around to painting it.

post #16765 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Okay man, ... I'm wishing you a happy ... birthday biggrin.gif

A heart of gold I say!
Put this man's name into the hat!
post #16766 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

a particular Z series system that had a subwoofer rated for some insane 1kW figure.

Lazy fingers don't want to search, I'd like to look at that 1,000W sub.

What size of sub amp/driver combo are you running?
Not dissing your MDF speaker walls either, we all know how expensive birch and maple can be.rolleyes.gif
Edited by 5aces - 8/5/13 at 5:53pm
post #16767 of 21760
If I was picked out as the winner of a custom title I can only imagine the wild custom title I would get
......,
......,,,,,,
I'm guessing
........,,,
.............,,
Head-Fi's resident loon ?
post #16768 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

If I was picked out as the winner of a custom title I can only imagine the wild custom title I would get
......,
......,,,,,,
I'm guessing
........,,,
.............,,
Head-Fi's resident loon ?

I thought you already had a custom title......

post #16769 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post


Lazy fingers don't want to search, I'd like to look at that 1,000W sub.

What size of sub amp/driver combo are you running?
Not dissing your MDF speaker walls either, we all know how expensive birch and maple can be.rolleyes.gif

 

Okay, now that I search, maybe I was exagerrating. I could have read the 1,000w peak power figure on a box somewhere, and that might have been for the whole system. I think it was the Logitech Z906. Stupid me!

 

As for my setup it's nothing, just an old stereo. I don't actually use my own speaker, it sits in another room and gathers dust sadly because there's no real place for it, being too large. It was a product of a fever dream and leftover speakers from an old Design & Technology project in high school.

post #16770 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post


It was around $300 when it debuted as shown, not prohibitive.
I do know what you mean about the sound, it was easy on the ears.
Ran mine in 2.1 most of time anyway...

It is, since I found it back before I found Headfi. Hell, $300 is still prohibitive. That's like half of my monthly pay, and Moscow's an expensive place to live. ;-;
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2