or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1096  

post #16426 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Well put Lee. It's simply misplaced Jaegerinstinct, that leads to the endless chase. At some point blind instinct gives way to value judgement and satisfaction surfaces. Then you can look at new stuff in the light of what it actually brings to the experience rather than looking at it as the goal itself.


There you go. You got what I said lol :). Putting some perspective on things.

post #16427 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Its kind of an interesting comparison because of the difference in a fundamental aspect of the hobbies yet they're still hobbies.

 

Just getting sucked in to the endless (inane) hype is the bad part of this hobby. While it can be fun it can really lead to nowhere. I just don't want to chase rainbows and instead enjoy what I have. Being able to share experiences, hear what others have to say will keep me around. Not so much in the aspects of purchasing but when finances allow there are some things I'd still like to try. Just it's is not a requirement and I really don't have the desire anyways like I use to. For me that is great because it just goes to show I am satisfied which is extremely hard to do in this particular hobby. :) It was no picnic either but the journey was fun and a learning experience in both the good and the bad.


Edited by lee730 - 7/27/13 at 10:21pm
post #16428 of 21760

I kind of find that no matter which hobby, unless there is change, there is little to hold interest.  In that sense I don't necessarily want to just go straight out and buy what I consider to be end game equipment, even if I could afford it at this point in time.

 

Even if the interest is not centered around equipment, change or novelty is needed, so change in music will replace change in equipment.  In a way I feel that buying new music can be equally fruitless than buying new equipment, if not more so.  I have plenty of music that I simply don't listen to any more for various reasons.  One can equally sink thousands of dollars into music or equipment and find that the novelty gets used up.

 

For me though equipment and music are interrelated yet each have their own motivating forces and vectors.  If I were to say one were leading, it would be equipment, but only because equipment modifies my experience of my existing collection of music.  I somehow find a 5-10% difference in sound quality more compelling than an excellent new recording or performance, maybe because it affects everything I listen to.  I also don't feel that it ever get's used up, at least until something new with better performance comes along.  I guess in a way both equipment and music can become obsolete, but the mechanisms and time frames are different.

post #16429 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I don't see it as being attributable for all hobbies nor all people. You can say it for some or most yes but that doesn't mean it applies to all. That is where I don't agree. Just because I really don't have the desire to be constantly buying products doesn't mean I have to leave the hobby. There's more to this hobby in particular than just buying new gear and seeking the new thrill. I know that it's fun to have that desire for new stuff (looking forward to trying out different gear) but really that just leads you to never being satisfied with what you have. More so it leads you into a lot of purchases where you will be disappointed in. I'm glad I'm not at that stage anymore. Heck I have the opportunity to demo a lot of good products but I don't really care at this point and thus for my comments of truly being satisfied. Instead I'm finding it more of a hassle than anything else to drive the point home further.

Yea, that was kind of my point. Just because they are both hobbies doesn't necessarily make them comparable in all or even many aspects. Leaving might be similar I guess, but staying can show how different they really are and what they mean to you. What I was getting at, and maybe MF too if I read a part of what she said even remotely correctly, is that no matter what your reasons are, it's good to know why you're here and how it affects the choices you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Just getting sucked in to the endless (inane) hype is the bad part of this hobby. While it can be fun it can really lead to nowhere. I just don't want to chase rainbows and instead enjoy what I have. Being able to share experiences, hear what others have to say will keep me around. Not so much in the aspects of purchasing but when finances allow there are some things I'd still like to try. Just it's is not a requirement and I really don't have the desire anyways like I use to. For me that is great because it just goes to show I am satisfied which is extremely hard to do in this particular hobby. smily_headphones1.gif It was no picnic either but the journey was fun and a learning experience in both the good and the bad.

I'm not exactly sure how you read my comment to get to this tangent but I agree. This place is nice and at the same time can be enough drive one to a padded room sometimes. Btw, sorry if you felt you had to defend your current place and satisfaction to any of my comments earlier. I didn't really mean to make it come off that way and was out of line if it did. It was kind of a grumpy view on some of the general feelings I've been getting from this place lately. I do think time is a humbling equalizer though and can get the best of mostly anyone when the stars align just so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

For me though equipment and music are interrelated yet each have their own motivating forces and vectors.  If I were to say one were leading, it would be equipment, but only because equipment modifies my experience of my existing collection of music.  I somehow find a 5-10% difference in sound quality more compelling than an excellent new recording or performance, maybe because it affects everything I listen to.  I also don't feel that it ever get's used up, at least until something new with better performance comes along.  I guess in a way both equipment and music can become obsolete, but the mechanisms and time frames are different.

That's the thing, gear in this hobby is a tool, a link in the chain, but remove it and you can't reach the logical end, sound, which is a personal tool. We're always at the end, no matter where the chain seems to stop.
Edited by vwinter - 7/27/13 at 10:55pm
post #16430 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Btw, sorry if you felt you had to defend your current place and satisfaction to any of my comments earlier. I didn't really mean to make it come off that way and was out of line if it did. It was kind of a grumpy view on some of the general feelings I've been getting from this place lately. I do think time is a humbling equalizer though and can get the best of mostly anyone when the stars align just so.
That's the thing, gear in this hobby is a tool, a link in the chain, but remove it and you can't reach the logical end, sound, which is a personal tool. We're always at the end, no matter where the chain seems to stop.

 

No worries and you are indeed correct.  I share the same sentiments about chasing rainbows. At some point you just have to stop and put some perspective on things. The reason I recommended DigitalFreak to go for that upgrade is so he doesn't have to feel the urge to continually chase gear. It's worked for me I think it could possibly work for others. Already my expectations on Audio quality have gone through the roof and more than I expected. Time to enjoy and focus on the music aspect of things. Basically what I was trying to point out is that there are exceptions to the rule but I clearly understand your point of it being a big problem with this hobby and I myself was embroiled in it for quite some time.

 

But I look at it on a plus side since I got to try out various gear & learned whom I tend to agree with on impressions/viewpoints on gear (for reliability purposes). I also discovered a lot about myself and preferences for different sound signatures/presentations. This opened up others opportunities for newer genres of music I'd have never considered before. Ultimately it lead me to fine tuning my preferences and I upgraded my gear opposed to just getting mostly side grades. From here on out I see most of my purchases (regarding IEMs) to be more so sides grades and even downgrades in some respects and thus for my lack of interest. It's like hitting a wall if you will. Most importantly though I've gone through all of this to bring me closer to my music. To get the most enjoyment I can and that is what was my main driving force behind all the spending and upgrading. Though as you said the thrill of buying gear was indeed a factor in all of this. Although what mainly fueled that passion was the desire to achieve better sound.


Edited by lee730 - 7/27/13 at 11:15pm
post #16431 of 21760
I don't think you have to own every piece of new gear to enjoy reading and talking about it. I'm not saying you can give reviews and advice without listening - but you can certainly participate in the discussions, research the technology and drill into the hobby minutiae. That's a lot more satisfying to me than spending all my money trying to purchase the latest products. Sure, I would love to own a whole stable of TOTL gear - but I don't have to own it to appreciate what it means to the hobby, or to read the impressions of other people.
post #16432 of 21760

It's safe to say I chased enough rainbows when I first got started here. End result, I've become quite cynical to the degree I no longer bother with certain peoples reviews anymore. It's gotten so bad that when something new is announced I rarely get to excited about it until I see final impressions from someone I trust. Not to sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Pardon me for being brutally honest, but in my experience for every good new product that gets released into the market there's 9 crappy me too products released shortly after it. I think Mupps and you guys all have the right idea, search out whats good for you and forget about the 3 ring circus out on the boards being performed by all the Johnny Wanna Be Audiophiles on the web.

 

I think I'm finally nearing my my final stop as far as mobile is concerned and I've gotten close to hearing the music the way I like it. If the UERM work it's the second last step accomplished. God help me when I turn my attention back to headphones and getting good synergy with them. The Q can is decent with the iCAN driving it. The Paradox, if it's half what I've read it should bowl me over. Next step, get a decent rig behind it to keep me happy. Here's hoping I don't drive myself as crazy as I did with my IEM's.

 

Question, when did we all become tired of the head-fi circus?

post #16433 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I don't think you have to own every piece of new gear to enjoy reading and talking about it. I'm not saying you can give reviews and advice without listening - but you can certainly participate in the discussions, research the technology and drill into the hobby minutiae. That's a lot more satisfying to me than spending all my money trying to purchase the latest products. Sure, I would love to own a whole stable of TOTL gear - but I don't have to own it to appreciate what it means to the hobby, or to read the impressions of other people.


I'm not sure if you're directing that at me but I never said otherwise? My point was I'm happy where I'm at and I'd stick around mainly to do as you said (hear other peoples impressions on gear, etc). But at the same time Billy some people can get quite irritating when they always chime in regarding stuff they don't own and make useless comments that are counterproductive. Basically trying to discredit others who've heard such gear. That is one aspect I do not like.

post #16434 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

It's safe to say I chased enough rainbows when I first got started here. End result, I've become quite cynical to the degree I no longer bother with certain peoples reviews anymore. It's gotten so bad that when something new is announced I rarely get to excited about it until I see final impressions from someone I trust. Not to sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Pardon me for being brutally honest, but in my experience for every good new product that gets released into the market there's 9 crappy me too products released shortly after it. I think Mupps and you guys all have the right idea, search out whats good for you and forget about the 3 ring circus out on the boards being performed by all the Johnny Wanna Be Audiophiles on the web.

 

I think I'm finally nearing my my final stop as far as mobile is concerned and I've gotten close to hearing the music the way I like it. If the UERM work it's the second last step accomplished. God help me when I turn my attention back to headphones and getting good synergy with them. The Q can is decent with the iCAN driving it. The Paradox, if it's half what I've read it should bowl me over. Next step, get a decent rig behind it to keep me happy. Here's hoping I don't drive myself as crazy as I did with my IEM's.

 

Question, when did we all become tired of the head-fi circus?

 

Yep the same for me. You can only get burned so much before you learn. But hey it's a learning experience. But that also is a big factor in me being tired of this. The never ending hype machine. Once you've found a group of people who you can trust just stick with them in terms of purchasing gear to minimize the risk. Otherwise don't get upset when you get burned lol.

post #16435 of 21760

I think the issue is the natural human instinct to find out what else is out there. The reason people are never satisfied with their current set up is the same reason men (and women) cheat on their spouses, no matter how "perfect" they are. It's the same reason some people never stop improving their homes.

 

 

It's 2 am on my side of the world. I have to be at the airport in 4 hours, and I'm still up packing.

post #16436 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I think the issue is the natural human instinct to find out what else is out there. The reason people are never satisfied with their current set up is the same reason men (and women) cheat on their spouses, no matter how "perfect" they are. It's the same reason some people never stop improving their homes.

 

 

It's 2 am on my side of the world. I have to be at the airport in 4 hours, and I'm still up packing.


It's sad but true.. The thing is you'll never be truly happy living like this. What more ironic is you don't realize how much you cherish things until they are unexpectedly gone.

post #16437 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

But I look at it on a plus side since I got to try out various gear & learned whom I tend to agree with on impressions/viewpoints on gear (for reliability purposes). I also discovered a lot about myself and preferences for different sound signatures/presentations. This opened up others opportunities for newer genres of music I'd have never considered before. Ultimately it lead me to fine tuning my preferences and I upgraded my gear opposed to just getting mostly side grades. From here on out I see most of my purchases (regarding IEMs) to be more so sides grades and even downgrades in some respects and thus for my lack of interest. It's like hitting a wall if you will. Most importantly though I've gone through all of this to bring me closer to my music. To get the most enjoyment I can and that is what was my main driving force behind all the spending and upgrading. Though as you said the thrill of buying gear was indeed a factor in all of this. Although what mainly fueled that passion was the desire to achieve better sound.

 

I was going to say the same thing, I would say that as corny as it sounds, I have started to gravitate towards jazz, I guess some of the stereotypical audiophile vocal music like Dianna Krall etc. as it seems to really show off the virtues of good equipment.    I'm not saying that I listen to music I don't like purely to test equipment, just that equipment upgrades have enhanced the experience of certain types of music more than others.

 

I feel that there are certain genres of music that just don't seem to scale well with better equipment.  Electronic music, for instance, I find really simple interms of the individual instruments and sounds - there isn't the depth of expression that you find in other genres.  Each note, each drum beat sounds the same as the last, pretty much because its the same recorded sound played over and over.  I'm not saying I don't like electronic music, just that my interests in hifi equipment hasn't really done much to enhance my enjoyment of electronic music.

 

I guess the wall you speak of is hit much earlier with portable equipment as the setups are much simpler in terms of cabling, choice of components, power, equipment shelving, even the number of components is typically lower. Some wall-powered setups are massively complicated, with endless things to tweak, compare, fine tune etc.  It's probably good in that portable audio is probably less of a money pit if you are just seeking that elusive peak experience.  I'm a bit of a n00b with portable equipment so I could be way off here.


Edited by drez - 7/28/13 at 12:21am
post #16438 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

 

I was going to say the same thing, I would say that as corny as it sounds, I have started to gravitate towards jazz, I guess some of the stereotypical audiophile vocal music like Dianna Krall etc. as it seems to really show off the virtues of good equipment.    I'm not saying that I listen to music I don't like purely to test equipment, just that equipment upgrades have enhanced the experience of certain types of music more than others.

 

I feel that there are certain genres of music that just don't seem to scale well with better equipment.  Electronic music, for instance, I find really simple interms of the individual instruments and sounds - there isn't the depth of expression that you find in other genres.  Each note, each drum beat sounds the same as the last, pretty much because its the same recorded sound played over and over.  I'm not saying I don't like electronic music, just that my interests in hifi equipment hasn't really done much to enhance my enjoyment of electronic music.

 

I guess the wall you speak of is hit much earlier with portable equipment as the setups are much simpler in terms of cabling, choice of components, power, equipment shelving, even the number of components is typically lower. Some wall-powered setups are massively complicated, with endless things to tweak, compare, fine tune etc.  It's probably good in that portable audio is probably less of a money pit if you are just seeking that elusive peak experience.  I'm a bit of a n00b with portable equipment so I could be way off here.

 

It can actually be quite a bit more tricky than you state (regarding portable gear). Portable audio has really come a long way. The fact that you have IEMs that are on par with flagship full size headphones speaks for itself (that includes sound staging capabilities).

post #16439 of 21760

Please nobody burn me at the steak for posting this. Before I became active on here I had heard the odd song from Krall but never really thought much of her music. Nothing wrong with her music it just never appealed to me was all. After becoming active on here and reading the billionth post concerning how great her music sounded on gear X I became curious enough about her to purchase her Greatest Hits CD. That was over a year ago and her CD is in my closet collecting dust and hasn't been spun for a good 9 or 10 months. Whats with audiophiles being passionately in love with Diana Krall to the point her music is the be all and end all for listening to vocal jazz on hi-fi gear? I think Melody Gardot and Norah Jones have by far better voices and more entertaining music.


@drez

 

My CLAS/RX III-B rig alone cost me over 1100 USD. Throw in the various C/IEM's I've purchased (W4, SM64, 4A, UERM, etc) as well as all the other mobile amps and DAP's I've purchased and I've very easily spent over 5 or 6 grand over the last 2 years. Mobile isn't as cheap as some people think and can be a pretty big money pit in it's own right.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 7/28/13 at 12:41am
post #16440 of 21760

Could it be because you bought her greatest hits album? lol

 

I'm finding myself going back and rooting out many of my Greatest hits albums because most of them are a victim of the loudness war crap. Then comparing them to the original album releases I'm finding the originals to be much more dynamic and detailed overall while the greatest hits is an illusion of quality. Basically my gear is resolving enough where it's become a problem.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2