Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 1037  

post #15541 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Yep, I dunno, I'm one to talk considering I'm walking around with a triple decker CLAS rig. Still, as brick crazy as I am I'd still give some second thought concerning his setup. I think it's even bulkier then mine.


 

On the YouTube channel front I finally invested in a micro camera/phone tri pod. Here's hoping my videos aren't so blurry from here on in.

 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41w3ITI3IVL._SX385_.jpg

It seems to have worked pretty good for head-fier Dale Thorn

 

 

Now to figure out a fix for some affordable decent lighting so everything doesn't look so washed out and yellow.

 

So what do you guys think, good idea or bad idea as far as cheapo fixes go?

By the way, speaking of expensive, big, bulky rigs, I remember you had a project of trying out different cables. Can I find your impressions and postings about it somewhere? I remember you saying that you'd start a new thread on the subject...

 

As far as the phone stand goes, I mean, it's probably good. The principle of having a tripod (or monopod or whathaveyou) is that the camera is supposed to stand still, and if that stand manages to keep your phone standing still, then it's fulfilling it's purpose. When it comes to lighting, it's a bit trickier. Not only do you want light, but you also for the most part want to eliminate as many of the shadows as possible. This is usually done by having light from different directions. Studio lighting is usually expensive, and for a legitimate reason. I don't know, try having different light sources from both sides and just experiment around a bit. You could also try one of those light tents, but I'm not sure it would work all that well.

 

Just an opinion here: I usually find review videos and such to be easier to look at when the background is white for some reason. I guess it's because it seems to focus more on the product and has less distractions.

post #15542 of 21761

Yeah I think I'm going to have to burn a few days researching better lighting and trying different things through trial and error. I've been using my rooms lighting which is rather terrible because the bulbs give off a yellowish tinge that becomes quite apparent when I shoot a video. When I try opening the rooms window to let in sunlight during the day and shoot video then there's just to much of it and everything looks overexposed.


As for your cable question, I've been quietly researching cables and I've experimented with a couple of things and I've kept quiet involving my findings so as not to stir up trouble on here. Cable believers are a rather touchy kind of tribe. I have some fancy ALO copper with silver plating interconnects on my CLAS rig and my findings after using them for months is save your money because no matter what people say on here they make absolutely no difference whatsoever. As for headphone cables, I haven't done anything with headphone cables but I have played around a little with IEM cables. My 4A custom I ordered with a Magnus upgrade cable. It's a good cable I guess. Besides that I can't say to much about it because I don't have the standard cable the 4A usually ships with. I did get a chance to swap out its cable when I had the 1Plus2 for review. I was a complete nonbeliever until I started trying out Gavins cables. When I swapped my Magnus cable for the silver 1Plus2 cable the 4A's PRAT increased and the general sound sig seemed very slightly more leaned out and notes very slightly more well defined. The differences were very very subtle so they were far from night and day.

 

Also, recently I had a chance to get the 1Plus2 back and hear Gavins upper tier cable which was a silver and gold cable. Again, I have to stress traditionally I thought cable science was for the loons. The silver/gold cable from Gavin made a noticeable difference to the 1plus2 and my 4A. The differences were still not night and day but nevertheless I picked up on them immediately. On the 1Plus2, compared to the original silver cable, the treble was still energetic but no longer as peaky or harsh sounding. The mids sere smoother while still maintaining as much detail as before. The bass, well from what I've read silver leans out the sig making the bass leaner. With the silver gold cable the bass was as great sounding as it ever was. Don't ask me how but the bass still had body and rumbled and hit as good as it ever did. something else I noticed, everything sounded more realistic and natural. A bird chirping sounded like a real bird, a trumpet sounded that one step closer to a real trumpet and a clarinet sounded like a real clarinet.

 

On my 4A's, PRAT again was increased and the sig was again leaned out a bit next to the Magnus cable. Here's the crazy thing, the 4A bass could now kick harder then with the Magnus cable. Also, the sig seemed to have a slightly airier sound so I think the highs were effected for the better. They seemed to have a touch more energy so I'm thinking I guessed right. Again, don't ask me to explain it I'm just writing what I heard.

 

Getting back to interconnects, although my ALO silver plated interconnects were a miserable failure I have to say connecting my CLAS-db and RX MKIII-B together via a balanced ALO connector made an audible difference. The sig was cleaned up and the bass reached a small bit lower and seems to be able to hit a bit harder. Also the soundstage seems to be more well defined and very slightly larger with a slightly better 3D like presentation.

 

Again, I have to clarify, I've traditionally never been a cable believer. You asked for my findings and I truthfully wrote them down for you. i don't know, maybe it was placebo. The truth is I believe I heard a difference using Gavin's cables. I haven't said much to anyone because A I didn't want to start an argument on any threads concerning cables, it seems way to easy to get into a fight or get trolled when cables get mentioned, an B I didn't think anyone on this thread was interested in talking about boutique cables so I said nothing.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 7/3/13 at 1:35am
post #15543 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


I'm not sold on his Q702 explanation. I've had my Q cans hooked up to my buddies HE-6 rig and it still sounded thin and sibilant. I admit it sounded better on his desktop rig but even so it sounded rather unnatural. The can does still have some endearing attributes though.


That's not much of an explanation is it? If your 702's aren't the best headphone you've ever heard you need to junk all your playback chain and buy new.

 

For a lugabout system under a grand he missed out on about a million other cheaper and better options.

post #15544 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

On the YouTube channel front I finally invested in a micro camera/phone tri pod. Here's hoping my videos aren't so blurry from here on in.

 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41w3ITI3IVL._SX385_.jpg

 

Now to figure out a fix for some affordable decent lighting so everything doesn't look so washed out and yellow.

 

Oh nice! I always wanted to tell you that the camera stabilization effect you had on your videos made me a bit queasy...

 

As far lighting goes, the yellow tone from your ceiling light isn't so bad if you colour corrected the videos away from yellow. I take a white balance with my videos for instance. Not sure what app you are using on your phone but there may be a setting for that.

 

If you want a cheap lighting set up you can do a lot even with cheap desk lamps with articulated heads. There's some at IKEA that are really flexible. Just make sure that whatever light you get, it's diffuse so that the light is spread out and doesn't cast harsh shadows.

 

Look up 'DIY softbox' or 'DIY ring light' if you want to get more resourceful...

 

Otherwise for ideas about basic lighting just look up "three point lighting". Me personally I bought a ring light off eBay for something like $200 (I need it for other projects) and rely on the natural light through the window to provide some fill. Remember, the more light you can supply the better! :)


Edited by a_recording - 7/3/13 at 5:47am
post #15545 of 21761
Yup, setting your white balance is the way to go to remove the yellow cast of artificial lighting. You can also get "daylight" lightbulbs that are 5000K - 6500K, which is approximately the color of natural sunlight. Even with daylight bulbs, you still want to set your color balance.
post #15546 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Yup, setting your white balance is the way to go to remove the yellow cast of artificial lighting. You can also get "daylight" lightbulbs that are 5000K - 6500K, which is approximately the color of natural sunlight. Even with daylight bulbs, you still want to set your color balance.

 

Aye. You can even get a cheap cardboard whitecard off eBay if you want to be picky about it...

 

Edit: Anyway rather than derail the thread DF if you want some of my amateurish tips feel free to shoot me a message haha...


Edited by a_recording - 7/3/13 at 6:09am
post #15547 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 

Also, recently I had a chance to get the 1Plus2 back and hear Gavins upper tier cable which was a silver and gold cable. Again, I have to stress traditionally I thought cable science was for the loons. The silver/gold cable from Gavin made a noticeable difference to the 1plus2 and my 4A. The differences were still not night and day but nevertheless I picked up on them immediately. On the 1Plus2, compared to the original silver cable, the treble was still energetic but no longer as peaky or harsh sounding. The mids sere smoother while still maintaining as much detail as before. The bass, well from what I've read silver leans out the sig making the bass leaner. With the silver gold cable the bass was as great sounding as it ever was. Don't ask me how but the bass still had body and rumbled and hit as good as it ever did. something else I noticed, everything sounded more realistic and natural. A bird chirping sounded like a real bird, a trumpet sounded that one step closer to a real trumpet and a clarinet sounded like a real clarinet.

 

You're not going crazy. I hear the same changes on my ASG-2 with that cable, and so did another friend who owns the 1p2 and g2.

post #15548 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


As for your cable question, I've been quietly researching cables and I've experimented with a couple of things and I've kept quiet involving my findings so as not to stir up trouble on here. Cable believers are a rather touchy kind of tribe. I have some fancy ALO copper with silver plating interconnects on my CLAS rig and my findings after using them for months is save your money because no matter what people say on here they make absolutely no difference whatsoever. 

 

Didnt you get the cable for your CLAS because of practicality?

post #15549 of 21761
So which one of you is going to cut open your silver/gold cable, pull out its heart and behold its power and secrets before the light of the heavens?
post #15550 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

So which one of you is going to cut open your silver/gold cable, pull out its heart and behold its power and secrets before the light of the heavens?

Lololol, that's some Eva-01 hunched over like an ape and chompin on the S-Engine level nightmare fuel right there

19_C356_eva01_meat.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

You're not going crazy. I hear the same changes on my ASG-2 with that cable, and so did another friend who owns the 1p2 and g2.

Yep. I'm having a hell of a time wrestling with this. So Fly says the 75 Ohm adaptor is a piece of crap huh? I might do 100 then just cause audionewbi reported positive changes on that. Might try a silver/coppery hybrid cable as well. There's one on the FS for only $50 shipped. There's gotta be some way to replicate this cable's benefits without the price tag :l
post #15551 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Lately I've been experiencing a tremendous sense of anxiety what with this move and a lot of other obligations looming over me. It's been interfering with my ability to write somewhat, and I don't really feel like posting much with everything going on the way it has. I'm feeling a lot better today, but last week in particular was really hard for me, as I was having panic attacks and feeling worn out and fatigued due to recurring anemia (related to my IBS). The physical and mental stuff just combines into one big clusterf'ck. The move is a really big thing and frankly something I'm not at all looking forward to (the actual moving part). The rest of those above-mentioned obligations are more minor, but when taken together it becomes more overwhelming all at once.
Hope things get better after moving. why are you moving if you do not mind me asking? I can relate as I am moving and having my first baby all at once coupled with old anguishes resurfacing...bad mix. Anyways...thou shall overcome.
post #15552 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Hope things get better after moving. why are you moving if you do not mind me asking? I can relate as I am moving and having my first baby all at once coupled with old anguishes resurfacing...bad mix. Anyways...thou shall overcome.

 

Oh man, congrats! 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post



Yep. I'm having a hell of a time wrestling with this. So Fly says the 75 Ohm adaptor is a piece of crap huh? I might do 100 then just cause audionewbi reported positive changes on that. Might try a silver/coppery hybrid cable as well. There's one on the FS for only $50 shipped. There's gotta be some way to replicate this cable's benefits without the price tag :l

 

Me too. Does this mean I can't make fun of cable zealots now?

 

It's just the way the cable tames the mid-bass. It's almost a different iem. I wonder if it would do the same for the 334...

 

I'd order the impedance adapter right now, but I'm wary of the ship times.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

So which one of you is going to cut open your silver/gold cable, pull out its heart and behold its power and secrets before the light of the heavens?

 

****that.jpg

post #15553 of 21761
@Eke. Thanks ! The kid tried our ATH ES10 before he was born and strongly reacted to the SQ smily_headphones1.gif
post #15554 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

@Eke. Thanks ! The kid tried our ATH ES10 before he was born and strongly reacted to the SQ smily_headphones1.gif

 

So audiophilia IS a dominant genetic disorder.

 

I'd suggest starting two savings accounts for him. One for college, and one for gear.

post #15555 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

So audiophilia IS a dominant genetic disorder.

I'd suggest starting two savings accounts for him. One for college, and one for gear.
I save for college...he can have my gear. Once thing he better inherit is good taste in music...his mother and I will not accept Bieber and David Guetta and whatever crap young people like in our house smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2