Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 981

post #14701 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Okay, first off, there's some hiss in the DarkStar... redface.gif

With the HD 650, I've got to turn it up to high noon to have it noticeably bother me.  And since that is 3 "hours" above what I would consider my max comfort volume, it's not exactly a deal breaker.  However, with low-impedance/high-sensitivity cans, it gets way worse.  With the Perfect Sound d901 (doing initial impressions on those right now), there's a constant hiss regardless of volume.  In fact, the hiss is even there when the DarkStar is off, which I don't understand.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. redface.gif
post #14702 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

eek.gif I've only seen 12 out of 112 of her films... this could take a while. And definitely wink.gifwith pleasure.


Aha, something to look forward to.

post #14703 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


Aha, something to look forward to.

 

I think she's brilliant! Anyone else enjoy this actress?

post #14704 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 

So do the HD650's sound better to your ears now? Are the stories of them scaling up true?

 

redface.gif hehe, yes.  Though they are not exactly at the top of my list, with a good amp I could imagine myself listening to them much more.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Nope.  I've never heard Jazz at the Pawnshop.

 

Twink would be most impressed. Truth told Neither have I . Really that's not a "Havent heard that IEM" line.

 

Outside of TwinQY complaining about it, I don't think I've even come across mentions of them.  And his remarks aren't exactly ringing endorsements...  Maybe if Muppet posts about them, I'll give it some urgency and pull it out of the "meh" cabinet.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Quote:
I'm starting to think that he is doing it PURELY for attention.  No one agrees with him, everyone more or less wants him to STFU.  And yet, he still thinks that everyone is dying hear what he has to say.  What an ego, that guy!

 

Well of course what puppy does'nt believe the entire world exists to love them. Even when they're peezing on the carpetbiggrin.gif

 

Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Okay, first off, there's some hiss in the DarkStar... redface.gif

 

With the HD 650, I've got to turn it up to high noon to have it noticeably bother me.  And since the is 3 "hours" above what I would consider my max comfort volume, it's not exactly a deal breaker.  However, with low-impedance/high-sensitivity cans, it gets way worse.  With the Perfect Sound d901 (doing initial impressions on those right now), there's a constant hiss regardless of volume.  In fact, the his is even there when the DarkStar is off, which I don't understand.

 

ph34r.gif I've not heard this box. Was hoping to hear both good things and your enjoyment.

 

Maria Mulata...

 

I'll definitely need some more time with it... and I want to try some different cans as well.  But it's starting to make me kinda curious about Glenn's work.

 

I've not heard that track, or the album you mentioned earlier.  I'm stuck on the Cantos De Agua Dulce album.

post #14705 of 21428

 

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post


Outside of TwinQY complaining about it, I don't think I've even come across mentions of them.  And his remarks aren't exactly ringing endorsements...  Maybe if Muppet posts about them, I'll give it some urgency and pull it out of the "meh" cabinet.

 

 

So many times I've had the thing thrown at me, I think I have just developed some kind of resistance to it. I'd actually rather test equipment with stuff I listen to.

 

 

Quote:

Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?

 

 

Anxiety, distress, more soiled carpets. Is there a mod button to clean that up?

post #14706 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

 

Quote:

Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?

 

Anxiety, distress, more soiled carpets. Is there a mod button to clean that up?

 

Now that you mention it, there is!  Anyone can report any of his posts.  I have a history with the guy, so I'm VERY reluctant to do anything that looks like an abuse of power.  But should a genuine complaint come in the mod queue... well I'm duty bound at that point aren't I?

post #14707 of 21428

Would anyone here like to play on my Minecraft server?  It's only 2GB, but could stand to have a few more than the 6 regulars it's got now. 

 

PM me if you'd like the server info.

post #14708 of 21428

Question for TH900 owners (which I assume is Magick and Muppet, but maybe there are others here):  What is the bass response like?

post #14709 of 21428

I have those! 

 

Heavy impact, but a quick decay and low distortion that keep it from feeling slow; I generally like it!  It can become overpowering on heavy hitting amps, though (don't plug them into that Darkstar). 

post #14710 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver 8 View Post

I have those! 

 

Heavy impact, but a quick decay and low distortion that keep it from feeling slow; I generally like it!  It can become overpowering on heavy hitting amps, though (don't plug them into that Darkstar). 

 

Thanks driver!  I'm wondering because I'm here doing initial impressions on the Perfect Sound dido d901 cans right now.  I've confirmed that it's using Foster's bio-cellulose drivers (so that rumor is true).  Just wanted to see how close it was to the TH900 (or even the TH600 for that matter).  If it's really close, then that's kinda big news... because then it's a cheap TH900 (or TH600) at only $800.  eek.gif

post #14711 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Thanks driver!  I'm wondering because I'm here doing initial impressions on the Perfect Sound dido d901 cans right now.  I've confirmed that it's using Foster's bio-cellulose drivers (so that rumor is true).  Just wanted to see how close it was to the TH900 (or even the TH600 for that matter).  If it's really close, then that's kinda big news... because then it's a cheap TH900 (or TH600) at only $800.  eek.gif


Can't you get the TH600 for not much more than that? I really want to get the TH900 one of these days.

post #14712 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Question for TH900 owners (which I assume is Magick and Muppet, but maybe there are others here):  What is the bass response like?

Tight, fast, and natural. There's a good bit of it, but the driver is so fast that it doesn't sound muddy. Of currently shipping headphones, it's the best bass out there (of what I've heard). Top end Stax trump them in other ways, but not bass.

Absolutely don't plug them into a Darkstar, they're far too sensitive. You might kill them! eek.gif (I'm being serious.)
Edited by Magick Man - 6/18/13 at 9:01pm
post #14713 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Can't you get the TH600 for not much more than that? I really want to get the TH900 one of these days.

 

Perhaps, but if these are more like the TH900, then this is a deal!  Plus, if I'm to be honest, these look a good deal more - um - modern.  Not bagging the lacquer guys (and gal), not at all.  But it lacks hipster cred (you know I'm right).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Tight, fast, and natural. There's a good bit of it, but the driver is so fast that it doesn't sound muddy. Of currently shipping headphones, it's the best bass out there (of what I've heard). Top end Stax trump them in other ways, but not bass.

 

Yeah... that kinda sounds familiar.  Okay then, initial impressions below...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Absolutely don't plug them into a Darkstar, they're far too sensitive. You might kill them! eek.gif (I'm being serious.)

 

Too late... but I made sure to pull out before it was too late.

 


 

Perfect Sound dido d901 Initial Impressions

 

Disjointed initial audition notes... (Click to show)

Sub-bass response digs deep for a good sense of impact down at the bottom, though it's not as tight and clean as I would personally prefer (Doin' It Right by Daft Punk).

There is definitely a bass emphasis to these cans, a warm and reverberating bass with a helluva lot of punch (Cruel Summer by Bananarama; pretty much anything by EBTG).  The bass does tend to bloom and boom on extra bassy tracks (Wishin' and Hopin' by Ani DiFranco; Le Monde by The Thievery Corporation).  In typical tracks, the bass response adds a welcome sense of weight and presence without overdoing it (Watch What Happens by Bob Acri).

Lower mids are lacking a bit in definition due to a little bass bleed (Blue Savannah by Erasure), but are not shelved or recessed, just tonally different (City Boy by Donkeyboy).

Mids are lush and full-bodied (People Get Ready by The Impressions), with gobs of depth and textural detail (If I Only Had A Brain by Livingston Taylor; Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye).  Great vocal presence for both male and female vocals (Bring It On Home To Me from The Commitments Soundtrack, Vol. 2; The Prayer by Jonathan & Charlotte).

Upper mids are clean and crisp with a reasonable sense of snap (On The Wing by Owl City).  Does seem to get a little thin transitioning to the highs, but I think this is a good thing as it keeps sibilance to a minimum (Honey and The Bee by Owl City).

Highs are just short of a gossamer airyness (Sonic Fairy Dust) at the top end (Yoda's Theme by John Williams); also not prematurely rolled-off (Crash Into Me by The Dave Matthews Band).  Reminiscent of a mid-point between the DT770 and DT880 (Philter by Fantastic Plastic Machine).

Detail retreival and separation - particularly in the mids - is fantastically good.  I mean REALLY GOOD. (Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz; I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me by Rosanne Cash;).  Elements are rarely lost in congestion, and remain distinctly coherent without getting grainy or overly-textured (Carolyn's Fingers by Cocteau Twins).  

Staging is balanced along both axes (width and depth)... and lies just on the cusp of being in/out of head for most tracks (Wild Mountainside by The Trash Can Sinatras), which is good for a pair of closed cans.  There's even a hint of vertical-axis fidelity (What You Don't Know [Live] by Sara K.). 

Equipment used:  Centrance DACport LX, Objective 2 amplifier.

 

Having said all that, I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN WITH THESE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.  For the past hour, I've been geeking out to pop from my youth (Bananarama, Human League, Cyndi Lauper, Eighth Wonder, etc.).  Heck, I even got all nostalgic with the slow jams thinking about puppy love (The Jets, The Deele, Breathe, Chicago, etc).  Then I went for some Baxter Robinson... His song Feel The Night is the song from The Karate Kid where Daniel and Ali are on their first date at Golf 'N Stuff.  Right now, I'm being silly as hell lip synching Hold On by Wilson Philips.

 

I'm supposed to start a 120-hour burn-in cycle right now.  But I kinda don't wanna take them off.

post #14714 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597682/why-do-cds-sound-better-than-loss-less-audio-files/105#post_9538133

This boob is almost as good, read the previous 2 pages, it's a riot! biggrin.gif

Even later in the thread there are some good bits, like this....

 

 

That made me quite literally 

post #14715 of 21428
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Too late... but I made sure to pull out before it was too late.

 

 

I didn't realize we were discussing contraception....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2