Aha, something to look forward to.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 981post #14701 of 217606/18/13 at 7:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14702 of 217606/18/13 at 7:27pmpost #14703 of 217606/18/13 at 7:46pmQuote:
hehe, yes. Though they are not exactly at the top of my list, with a good amp I could imagine myself listening to them much more.Quote:
Outside of TwinQY complaining about it, I don't think I've even come across mentions of them. And his remarks aren't exactly ringing endorsements... Maybe if Muppet posts about them, I'll give it some urgency and pull it out of the "meh" cabinet.Quote:Originally Posted by HutnicksQuote:I'm starting to think that he is doing it PURELY for attention. No one agrees with him, everyone more or less wants him to STFU. And yet, he still thinks that everyone is dying hear what he has to say. What an ego, that guy!
Well of course what puppy does'nt believe the entire world exists to love them. Even when they're peezing on the carpet
Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?Quote:Originally Posted by Silent OneQuote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi
Okay, first off, there's some hiss in the DarkStar...
With the HD 650, I've got to turn it up to high noon to have it noticeably bother me. And since the is 3 "hours" above what I would consider my max comfort volume, it's not exactly a deal breaker. However, with low-impedance/high-sensitivity cans, it gets way worse. With the Perfect Sound d901 (doing initial impressions on those right now), there's a constant hiss regardless of volume. In fact, the his is even there when the DarkStar is off, which I don't understand.
I've not heard this box. Was hoping to hear both good things and your enjoyment.
I'll definitely need some more time with it... and I want to try some different cans as well. But it's starting to make me kinda curious about Glenn's work.
I've not heard that track, or the album you mentioned earlier. I'm stuck on the Cantos De Agua Dulce album.post #14704 of 217606/18/13 at 7:58pmQuote:
So many times I've had the thing thrown at me, I think I have just developed some kind of resistance to it. I'd actually rather test equipment with stuff I listen to.Quote:
Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?
Anxiety, distress, more soiled carpets. Is there a mod button to clean that up?post #14705 of 217606/18/13 at 8:15pmQuote:
Now that you mention it, there is! Anyone can report any of his posts. I have a history with the guy, so I'm VERY reluctant to do anything that looks like an abuse of power. But should a genuine complaint come in the mod queue... well I'm duty bound at that point aren't I?post #14706 of 217606/18/13 at 8:22pm
Would anyone here like to play on my Minecraft server? It's only 2GB, but could stand to have a few more than the 6 regulars it's got now.
PM me if you'd like the server info.post #14707 of 217606/18/13 at 8:23pm
Question for TH900 owners (which I assume is Magick and Muppet, but maybe there are others here): What is the bass response like?post #14708 of 217606/18/13 at 8:26pm
I have those!
Heavy impact, but a quick decay and low distortion that keep it from feeling slow; I generally like it! It can become overpowering on heavy hitting amps, though (don't plug them into that Darkstar).post #14709 of 217606/18/13 at 8:34pmQuote:
Thanks driver! I'm wondering because I'm here doing initial impressions on the Perfect Sound dido d901 cans right now. I've confirmed that it's using Foster's bio-cellulose drivers (so that rumor is true). Just wanted to see how close it was to the TH900 (or even the TH600 for that matter). If it's really close, then that's kinda big news... because then it's a cheap TH900 (or TH600) at only $800.post #14710 of 217606/18/13 at 8:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi
Thanks driver! I'm wondering because I'm here doing initial impressions on the Perfect Sound dido d901 cans right now. I've confirmed that it's using Foster's bio-cellulose drivers (so that rumor is true). Just wanted to see how close it was to the TH900 (or even the TH600 for that matter). If it's really close, then that's kinda big news... because then it's a cheap TH900 (or TH600) at only $800.
Can't you get the TH600 for not much more than that? I really want to get the TH900 one of these days.post #14711 of 217606/18/13 at 9:00pmQuote:
Tight, fast, and natural. There's a good bit of it, but the driver is so fast that it doesn't sound muddy. Of currently shipping headphones, it's the best bass out there (of what I've heard). Top end Stax trump them in other ways, but not bass.
Absolutely don't plug them into a Darkstar, they're far too sensitive. You might kill them! (I'm being serious.)
Edited by Magick Man - 6/18/13 at 9:01pmpost #14712 of 217606/18/13 at 9:36pmQuote:
Perhaps, but if these are more like the TH900, then this is a deal! Plus, if I'm to be honest, these look a good deal more - um - modern. Not bagging the lacquer guys (and gal), not at all. But it lacks hipster cred (you know I'm right).Quote:
Yeah... that kinda sounds familiar. Okay then, initial impressions below...Quote:
Too late... but I made sure to pull out before it was too late.
Perfect Sound dido d901 Initial Impressions
Sub-bass response digs deep for a good sense of impact down at the bottom, though it's not as tight and clean as I would personally prefer (Doin' It Right by Daft Punk).
There is definitely a bass emphasis to these cans, a warm and reverberating bass with a helluva lot of punch (Cruel Summer by Bananarama; pretty much anything by EBTG). The bass does tend to bloom and boom on extra bassy tracks (Wishin' and Hopin' by Ani DiFranco; Le Monde by The Thievery Corporation). In typical tracks, the bass response adds a welcome sense of weight and presence without overdoing it (Watch What Happens by Bob Acri).
Lower mids are lacking a bit in definition due to a little bass bleed (Blue Savannah by Erasure), but are not shelved or recessed, just tonally different (City Boy by Donkeyboy).
Mids are lush and full-bodied (People Get Ready by The Impressions), with gobs of depth and textural detail (If I Only Had A Brain by Livingston Taylor; Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye). Great vocal presence for both male and female vocals (Bring It On Home To Me from The Commitments Soundtrack, Vol. 2; The Prayer by Jonathan & Charlotte).
Upper mids are clean and crisp with a reasonable sense of snap (On The Wing by Owl City). Does seem to get a little thin transitioning to the highs, but I think this is a good thing as it keeps sibilance to a minimum (Honey and The Bee by Owl City).
Highs are just short of a gossamer airyness (Sonic Fairy Dust) at the top end (Yoda's Theme by John Williams); also not prematurely rolled-off (Crash Into Me by The Dave Matthews Band). Reminiscent of a mid-point between the DT770 and DT880 (Philter by Fantastic Plastic Machine).
Detail retreival and separation - particularly in the mids - is fantastically good. I mean REALLY GOOD. (Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz; I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me by Rosanne Cash;). Elements are rarely lost in congestion, and remain distinctly coherent without getting grainy or overly-textured (Carolyn's Fingers by Cocteau Twins).
Staging is balanced along both axes (width and depth)... and lies just on the cusp of being in/out of head for most tracks (Wild Mountainside by The Trash Can Sinatras), which is good for a pair of closed cans. There's even a hint of vertical-axis fidelity (What You Don't Know [Live] by Sara K.).
Equipment used: Centrance DACport LX, Objective 2 amplifier.
Having said all that, I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN WITH THESE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. For the past hour, I've been geeking out to pop from my youth (Bananarama, Human League, Cyndi Lauper, Eighth Wonder, etc.). Heck, I even got all nostalgic with the slow jams thinking about puppy love (The Jets, The Deele, Breathe, Chicago, etc). Then I went for some Baxter Robinson... His song Feel The Night is the song from The Karate Kid where Daniel and Ali are on their first date at Golf 'N Stuff. Right now, I'm being silly as hell lip synching Hold On by Wilson Philips.
I'm supposed to start a 120-hour burn-in cycle right now. But I kinda don't wanna take them off.post #14713 of 217606/18/13 at 9:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by Magick Man
This boob is almost as good, read the previous 2 pages, it's a riot!
Even later in the thread there are some good bits, like this....post #14714 of 217606/18/13 at 9:41pmpost #14715 of 217606/18/13 at 9:44pmQuote:
lol that is awesome. I think I'm really starting to like this Julian fellow. Usually the trolls hang out in this particular section of the forum. Who knew we'd have a troll trolling the troll ;)...
Edited by lee730 - 6/18/13 at 9:45pm
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Audeze SINE Series 38 seconds ago
- › How to make M50's mid less recessed & increase soundstage (56k) 1 minute ago
- › PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread 1 minute ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 4 minutes ago
- › AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Amp suggestion 5 minutes ago
- › For 6BL7 tube users 5 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 6 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by twister6
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse