Your own negativity may be your own placebo ;).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Is headphone "break-in" an actual phenomenon? Last post on 7/12/14 at 7:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 808
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I suspect that Ogg and Ook (the first two prehistoric audiophiles) had this same argument about why two identical rocks produced slightly different sounds when they were beat on with sticks.
I used to work in a building that had an underground garage. There was one level of "executive parking", and one of the execs was an exotic car collector. Every day he would bring a different car and he would cycle through his collection of daily drivers every few weeks. So, we would see the red Lambo, the black Maserati, the red Ferrari, the yellow Ferrari, the white Rolls, the black Bentley, etc, etc. I always thought that would definitely be the way to do it - putting some variety in your life and enjoying the entire collection. The same can be said for any collection - from headphones to cars to watches to fountain pens...
Speaking of which, how often do y'all switch headphones? I used to do it everyday, but these days I find myself gravitating to certain pairs and sticking with them for days on end.
Measure well or measure similarly/identically?
Warrenpchi a good example would be the DX100. With different firmwares the unit sounds clearly different to having the identical firmware. Yet the unit measures ruler flat.
Right, but what I'm saying is that they can both appear to be practically flat. I haven't seen the graphs in question so I have no idea how much each respective unit would adhere to "flat". If they're off by just a dB or two in opposite directions at certain times, that may not show up significantly on a graph that has a scale of - oh let's say - 60dB... especially if those measurements are looked at "at a glance." So unless he's saying they measure identically, I think there may be some wiggle room in there.
Assuming only home listening, leaving the portable 'phones out of the equation, I'll go a few days with whatever set I am using.
Out of an average of 16 listening sessions per month, perhaps 1-2 times unless I'm auditioning.
DX100 AP sweep Fig.
iBasso DX100 RMAA and Square Wave results
today's review of the DX100. I must apologise for the MME result: that is actually DT880 600Ω, but the export utility didn't properly work.
These are the results of hardware tests which correspond to
PART ONE: DX100 paired with Earsonics SM2, Audio Technica ES10, Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω.
Right. So in that case, some of those measurements are not identical... especially given 10 dB gradations. Also, he's measuring with different headphones right? Maybe I'm not understanding something and hopelessly lost here?
About the only Chinese made tubes I like are the "Fullmusic" ones. The Psvane tubes look like a more expensive version of the Shuguang Treasures. In the Zana Deux, the Fullmusic 6SL7 really shines.
Jazzerdave, have you listened to any Japanese jazz bands? You might like them.
My Empire Rifles action is on it's way. Awesome foundation for a custom rifle...
I've heard a few of the groups/artists on TBM. Outside of that, I can't say that I've been exposed to much of it. If you have any suggestions (doesn't have to be jazz), I'd certainly appreciate them.
I really like The National. I especially like their surprise track in Portal 2! Do you ever feel like it's odd how The National albums seem to be mastered to boost the lower registered of Dessner's voice? I tend to use their albums as a test for 'what do male vocals sound like on this...'
Ooh, I dunno if that's flat. It doesn't measure flat and it doesn't sound flat to my ears (highs and lows rolled off). The XBA-10 seems to sound bassier but the highs are still pretty blunted.
Close! It's an NEX F3 (I use the flip around LCD to monitor myself). Recording at 25P. The lens is the Sony Zeiss SEL24F18Z. Such a beautiful lens, I'm glad I got it on sale because I will treasure it forever. It's the lens that stays on my camera almost all the time so I can take pictures of creepy hallways and alleys.
I hope Ogg and Ook did not beat each other to death arguing about rock burn-in.
This is why you need people from other timezones to trawl through old pages and dredge up old stuff and slow everyone down!
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 4 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 23 seconds ago
- › Lost my z-5500, need new sound, budget: $400 1 minute ago
- › replacing my DT-770 250ohms with what?!? 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 4 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!) 4 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Zero Audio DuoZA iems... 8 minutes ago
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3