Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 743

post #11131 of 21419

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Australia

post #11132 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

 

 

 

Crossfades?

 

 

 

SE535.

post #11133 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Orthos definitely benefit from some juice behind them, but raw power is only part of the equation. An amp needs to be able to exercise control over a transducer, and that also has a lot to do with subtlety and finesse. That's why the current niche arms race to see who can make the most monstrous headphone amp is kind of silly. It's not all strong arming, and really, is a flaming dumptruck hurling down the street at 70 MPH in control? 

 

Well, there are different kinds of power, used to different ends. To elaborate on the metaphor, the dumptruck has more power than the Ferrari, but the Ferrari has torque.

 

(Actually, power only means one literal thing in electrical terms but it's tied up with other aspects of delivering energy. Don't think too hard about that metaphor.)

 

What confuses people is the mingled problems of power efficiency and input impedance. And the relevance of input impedance -- I'm increasingly of the opinion it's obsessed over in excess to its relevance, or at least its relevance in context with other factors.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

My issue is that now that I have seen silicone comfort vs acrylic, and seen Fitear build vs other acrylics, I am afraid to be disappointed with jh13 or nt6 build and comfort, especially after what Muppet said on her jh16...

 

My NT 6 Pro is the best-built cIEM I've seen.

 

Comfort is much more of a ymmv matter. I don't think acrylic vs. silicone affects comfort as much as people speculate. It can affect isolation and fit -- but fit and comfort are different issues.

post #11134 of 21419
The Malaysian GE results are coming in now as I type this. Not that I can and will discuss this here since the chance of another Malaysian discussing this is highly improbable, but lets just say this is one of the closest that the incumbent power will lose the nation in 56 years.

I'm quite worried since me being here in Moscow is highly based on how the incumbent power has run the education ministry at least...
post #11135 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

The Malaysian GE results are coming in now as I type this. Not that I can and will discuss this here since the chance of another Malaysian discussing this is highly improbable, but lets just say this is one of the closest that the incumbent power will lose the nation in 56 years.

I'm quite worried since me being here in Moscow is highly based on how the incumbent power has run the education ministry at least...


Interesting...  But there isn't going to be an actual change in government right?  Just a close call?

 

BTW, not that he posts here, but streetdragon is Malay is he not?

post #11136 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

The Malaysian GE results are coming in now as I type this. Not that I can and will discuss this here since the chance of another Malaysian discussing this is highly improbable, but lets just say this is one of the closest that the incumbent power will lose the nation in 56 years.

I'm quite worried since me being here in Moscow is highly based on how the incumbent power has run the education ministry at least...

I feel for you as a fellow SE. Asian and overseas student. Elections in my country are going to be held on 13th May and there's a lot going on too. However, my country's main problem is not to remove an incumbent party/group/leader - the problem is to overcome incompetence and corruption. The leaders elected are not the most capable, just the most popular. In fact, instead of political rallies that your politicians hold, those aspiring to be in power lull the masses with tv commercials and jingles. I think we all are just fed up with the same old thing happening again and again. 

 

I do hope the best for your country, as much as I hope for the best for mine. I've been following the elections too as I have a bunch of Malaysian friends who are also angry and irritated.

post #11137 of 21419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

I'm quite worried since me being here in Moscow is highly based on how the incumbent power has run the education ministry at least...

 

Good luck? 

 

Good luck!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

Well, there are different kinds of power, used to different ends. To elaborate on the metaphor, the dumptruck has more power than the Ferrari, but the Ferrari has torque.

 

(Actually, power only means one literal thing in electrical terms but it's tied up with other aspects of delivering energy. Don't think too hard about that metaphor.)

 

What confuses people is the mingled problems of power efficiency and input impedance. And the relevance of input impedance -- I'm increasingly of the opinion it's obsessed over in excess to its relevance, or at least its relevance in context with other factors.

 

 

I tend to like the term control specifically as it can encompass several different factors, one of which is power. Going back to the vehicular metaphor---which is admittedly lame---I would think the important thing is how that power is utilized, how much can practically end up on the road.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Comfort is much more of a ymmv matter. I don't think acrylic vs. silicone affects comfort as much as people speculate. It can affect isolation and fit -- but fit and comfort are different issues.

 

Are fit and comfort really different issues? Maybe I'm on a subset theme this morning, but it seems like comfort is a part of fit (along with isolation / seal and certain facets of the sound like bass response, though the latter is only partially dependent on it).

 

I suppose you could have an earphone that fit well but wasn't particularly comfortable, though I can't really see a case where you'd have an earphone that didn't fit well but was comfortable. Personally speaking, the two tend to go hand in hand for me. The most comfortable CIEMs I've ever worn---the FitEars---also fit the best. I know correlation isn't always causation, tho in this case I kind of see it. Plus if you don't have a good fit, you'll be fidgeting with it more, and that can lead to irritation.

post #11138 of 21419
@warren, it could be a very close win for the opposition based on the forecast and general sentiment.
Streetdragon is a Malaysian too? That's news to me if that's true.

@phoenix, that's an interesting insight to how they run their campaign. Good luck Singapore.
post #11139 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

@warren, it could be a very close win for the opposition based on the forecast and general sentiment.
Streetdragon is a Malaysian too? That's news to me if that's true.

 

Well, even if they win, I somehow don't think re-vamping higher education policy and funding is going to be the first thing on their minds right?  Or is it that much of a national issue?

 

Actually, I don't know if streetdragon is Malaysian or not... and if he is, whether he is Malay or not.  Maybe he just works there?  His location says "In the land of Nasi Lemak and 24 hour Mamak, called Malaysia" so I just assumed that he was.

post #11140 of 21419
Well I'm not directly sponsored by the government but by a government-supported organisation that focuses only on Malays, which what I am. While those that got sent overseas are very smart, there other smarter Indians and Chinese, but they either have to go through the gauntlet that is government sponsors or pay their own. Thats almost the same with even the local public universities. Then there's also high priced government loans that the local students have to pay. That's probably going to change regardless (the loans that is) for the better of all but the racial treatment for education will depend on who wins. Basically my race hasn't have the brightest of recent history and the other two major races are looking to change that. The thing is, the Malays want to still have that advantage since most of us here are middle class families at best on average, but it won't help if their supporters kept exchanging literal blows, since any right political mind will take advantage of that strife to get ahead.

Lol I tell a lie when I said that I won't talk about politics, but it's quite hard not to. At least this thread (hopefully) won't light up in flames.
post #11141 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Are fit and comfort really different issues? Maybe I'm on a subset theme this morning, but it seems like comfort is a part of fit (along with isolation / seal and certain facets of the sound like bass response, though the latter is only partially dependent on it).

 

I suppose you could have an earphone that fit well but wasn't particularly comfortable, though I can't really see a case where you'd have an earphone that didn't fit well but was comfortable. Personally speaking, the two tend to go hand in hand for me. The most comfortable CIEMs I've ever worn---the FitEars---also fit the best. I know correlation isn't always causation, tho in this case I kind of see it. Plus if you don't have a good fit, you'll be fidgeting with it more, and that can lead to irritation.

 

I think fit and comfort are correlated but not the same. It's possible that something can fit well but not be comfortable (I'd slot the RG A03 in that category, at least in my ears) and that something can be comfortable but not fit well (see below).

 

Of my two customs, the Hidition NT 6 Pro is the best-fitting; they are secure and stable. My Heir 4.A are the most comfortable; they are the only listening devices so comfortable I can forget I'm wearing them. But I tend to fiddle with the Heirs more to get them into that sweet spot, a sign to me that they don't fit as well. I attribute some of this to design (the NT 6 pro has deeper insertion and seems to have a slightly larger profile) and some to construction (the 4.A is acrylic, the Hidition has a silicone nozzle over an acrylic shell).

 

I don't have an all-silicone cIEM to compare, but I strongly suspect that softer materials don't provide as much forgiveness in fit as is commonly assumed; ear canals are already soft and squishy, after all; that's why solid acrylic can work perfectly well -- your ears will form a seal around 'em.

 

Just because something is moulded to my ears doesn't mean it'll fit like a puzzle piece, even when it's an excellent fit. The onus is on the owner to know how to wear them. It's easy for the Hiditions to cause me pain if I don't insert them properly; the silicone has a little flex, but so does the flesh; even as described above, I still have to know how to insert them at the right angle with the right motion, and after insertion they can still be rotated into a position that causes pain (or stops causing pain). My Heirs are easier to insert badly, and harder to insert properly -- even though I'm less likely to insert them in a way that will be painful.

post #11142 of 21419
My Miracles are less comfortable than my SE5, but could be because I have sensitive area in my canal, and the Miracles being more rigid will push on it more. But full silicones are much harder to put in and remove.
post #11143 of 21419
Thread Starter 

Oh, by the by, I mentioned the Electro Magnetic Amp Co.'s upcoming 515SE amp a while back. I was particularly intrigued because it used transformers instead of tubes or transistors, but I also dig the attention to detail going into it and how the various knobs, dials, and nomenclature were modeled after certain vintage gear. Here's the latest rendering from their Facebook page of the amp with its accompanying power supply:

 

 

*

 

I'm getting a sort of "Decware meets Moth" vibe from it.

post #11144 of 21419

That EM amp looks like the fence chargers my grandparents use to use on their farm. Caused some bad experiences for me when I was a wee lad.

 

If you want to "wake up" an ortho, hook it to a Mjolnir amp. My HE500's didn't come alive until I plugged them into one.

 

 

 

Someone outbid me on the 300H&H at the last minute. I hate those darn snipers...

post #11145 of 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Oh, by the by, I mentioned the Electro Magnetic Amp Co.'s upcoming 515SE amp a while back. I was particularly intrigued because it used transformers instead of tubes or transistors, but I also dig the attention to detail going into it and how the various knobs, dials, and nomenclature were modeled after certain vintage gear. Here's the latest rendering from their Facebook page of the amp with its accompanying power supply:

 

 

*

 

I'm getting a sort of "Decware meets Moth" vibe from it.

 

 

I've been keeping up with that project, it definitely looks exciting, and I love the look out of it. Sadly my protozoa sized budget is being blown on customs right now, so there's that :P

 

Speaking of which, if you had to choose 1 custom to live with, would you pick one that was brutally honest and let you hear deeper in the recordings (often too deep to where you hear flaws), or one that should make everything sound decent, but may lack on that detail retrieval? I've been having this issue going back and forth.

 

 

I really do need to find a demo unit of the ER4 so I can settle my mind once and for all if I like that sig  redface.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2