Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 726  

post #10876 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

My ears are apparently. I mean, behind that second bend, there's gold apparently.

Lmao I remember my first triple flange experience, WAX EVERYWHERE
post #10877 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


My ears are apparently. I mean, behind that second bend, there's gold apparently.

 

Get some hydrogen peroxide (3%) and pour some in your ears. Make sure you're lying on your side if you don't warm up the peroxide first...it will completely throw off your balance, and you'll find yourself face down in no time. When the peroxide stops bubbling, then you can go rinse out your ear. It usually takes about 5 mins, maybe longer for you since I don't really produce ear wax.

post #10878 of 21761
Thread Starter 

I've been meaning to post some notes on various new music releases, so hopefully I can get around to that later this week when I've got less stuff vying for my attention in numerous directions.

 

I feel like I'm at a point in this hobby where I can just relax and enjoy what comes my way, come what may. Lately I've been enjoying my gear far more than I have in a while, something that happens more readily when "upgradeitis" isn't constantly gnawing at one's heels. More importantly, I'm finding I can devote more of myself to exploring music again.

 

I still like playing around with different sound signatures and setups, no doubt there. Portable audio has become my outlet for this by and large however. I'm an archival person by natural inclination, though I'm also the sort of person who gets overwhelmed by having a lot of stuff around me. Clutter is suffocating for me. Portable audio is much easier to deal with in that sense, easier to manage. There are still a few exceptions tho, namely vintage orthos and stats; Fostex T50 v.0 or v.1 ... you will be mine some day.

 

 

I'm also thinking about getting a Sony R10 again ... (Click to show)

... later this year once things have settled down. It's pretty much the only dynamic headphone I actually miss, specifically due to its emotional timbre. Thing is, I've come to realize most dynamic headphones---especially those with closed cups---don't sound right to me in terms of timbre. The two exceptions are the previously mentioned R10 and the TH900 (and TH600). I still like the HD800 too, but it's not a particularly "natural" sounding transducer despite having practically unmatched resolution (yes, even more than the SR-009). Ironically I think it gets the bass most correct despite that being the region some people seem to complain about the most.

 

 

Anyway, I've talked about that no man's land between speakers and in-ear monitors before: for me, it's harder to be engaged by a lot of full-sized headphones. They lack the immediate externalized experience of speakers and the more intimate internalized headscape of in-ears. I'm not just talking about soundstage, but rather control and response on the macro level and finesse and detail on the micro level. The new Jecklin Float QA was something of a breakthrough in this respect, but then it's essentially two speaker panels strapped to one's head. The real breakthrough however came in the form of upstream gear; that is to say, I finally discovered a line of headphone amps that gets more right for my personal taste than anything I've encountered before. More than any other designer right now, Dr. Cavalli is able to capture what I feel to be the ideal balance between inner resolution or "plankton" and intricate layering on the one hand, and overall visceral impact and immediacy on the other. The end result are amps that I personally find tops in musicality and immersion. Between the Liquid Gold and Liquid Lightning 2 I've found my ideal platform for full-sized headphones, specifically planar magnetics and electrostats.

 

I still like experimenting with different sounds, but this is a setup that sounds very "right" to me. It's my ideal kind of sound.

 

At this point I'm going to start looking into DACs more thoroughly. I plan on getting some Magnepan speakers later on too, because speakers are awesome.

post #10879 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

... (Click to show)

 

I've been meaning to post some notes on various new music releases, so hopefully I can get around to that later this week when I've got less stuff vying for my attention in numerous directions.

 

I feel like I'm at a point in this hobby where I can just relax and enjoy what comes my way, come what may. Lately I've been enjoying my gear far more than I have in a while, something that happens more readily when "upgradeitis" isn't constantly gnawing at one's heels. More importantly, I'm finding I can devote more of myself to exploring music again.

 

I still like playing around with different sound signatures and setups, no doubt there. Portable audio has become my outlet for this by and large however. I'm an archival person by natural inclination, though I'm also the sort of person who gets overwhelmed by having a lot of stuff around me. Clutter is suffocating for me. Portable audio is much easier to deal with in that sense, easier to manage. There are still a few exceptions tho, namely vintage orthos and stats; Fostex T50 v.0 or v.1 ... you will be mine some day.

 

 

I'm also thinking about getting a Sony R10 again ... (Click to show)

... later this year once things have settled down. It's pretty much the only dynamic headphone I actually miss, specifically due to its emotional timbre. Thing is, I've come to realize most dynamic headphones---especially those with closed cups---don't sound right to me in terms of timbre. The two exceptions are the previously mentioned R10 and the TH900 (and TH600). I still like the HD800 too, but it's not a particularly "natural" sounding transducer despite having practically unmatched resolution (yes, even more than the SR-009). Ironically I think it gets the bass most correct despite that being the region some people seem to complain about the most.

 

 

 

 

Anyway, I've talked about that no man's land between speakers and in-ear monitors before: for me, it's harder to be engaged by a lot of full-sized headphones. They lack the immediate externalized experience of speakers and the more intimate internalized headscape of in-ears. I'm not just talking about soundstage, but rather control and response on the macro level and finesse and detail on the micro level. The new Jecklin Float QA was something of a breakthrough in this respect, but then it's essentially two speaker panels strapped to one's head. The real breakthrough however came in the form of upstream gear; that is to say, I finally discovered a line of headphone amps that gets more right for my personal taste than anything I've encountered before. More than any other designer right now, Dr. Cavalli is able to capture what I feel to be the ideal balance between inner resolution or "plankton" and intricate layering on the one hand, and overall visceral impact and immediacy on the other. The end result are amps that I personally find tops in musicality and immersion. Between the Liquid Gold and Liquid Lightning 2 I've found my ideal platform for full-sized headphones, specifically planar magnetics and electrostats.

 

I still like experimenting with different sounds, but this is a setup that sounds very "right" to me. It's my ideal kind of sound.

 

At this point I'm going to start looking into DACs more thoroughly. I plan on getting some Magnepan speakers later on too, because speakers are awesome.

 

I'm a big fan of Alex's most recent line of amps as well.  I thought the LL2 was absolutely brilliant with the SR-009.  I'll get a chance to hear it again and the LAu for the first time in a month (as will Eke).  If I could truly afford it right now, I'd definitely spring for the LL2 and SR-009.  With the Ayon CD-1, it was by far the best headphone setup I've ever heard.  It certainly beats the pants off the WES, and it's a definite improvement over the LL1 as well (I've heard both while paired with a PWD/PWT combo).  As a compulsive tube roller, the Liquid Glass is a godsend for me.  Basically, I really like Dr. Cavalli's amps too.

 

Cheers!

post #10880 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

I'm a big fan of Alex's most recent line of amps as well.  I thought the LL2 was absolutely brilliant with the SR-009.  I'll get a chance to hear it again and the LAu for the first time in a month (as will Eke).  If I could truly afford it right now, I'd definitely spring for the LL2 and SR-009.  With the Ayon CD-1, it was by far the best headphone setup I've ever heard.  It certainly beats the pants off the WES, and it's a definite improvement over the LL1 as well (I've heard both while paired with a PWD/PWT combo).  As a compulsive tube roller, the Liquid Glass is a godsend for me.  Basically, I really like Dr. Cavalli's amps too.

 

Cheers!

 

I really can't wait. I've already planned my weekend to accommodate the trip. I'm looking to see just how far the HD600 can scale, and I want to hear some "summit-fi" phones as well.

post #10881 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Though, I must admit, I still haven't ruled out witchcraft.

Never rule out magick and witchcraft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

The whole damsel in distress thing is horribly cliche and the overall artistic direction is far too kitsch/hipster for the lack of a better word.

She's actually not a damsel in distress tho, that's the thing. She ends up being a partner and not the usual escort mission baggage, and without spoiling anything, Booker is the one "in distress."

Overall though the game is pretty cliche in many respects, sure. But what *isn't* cliche in videogames? I think the more important thing is what you try to do with those cliches, and Infinite does a pretty good job using its heavy hands to rub one off.

IMO, simply put, without certain "cliches" there wouldn't be genres.

I think I may have misunderstood the artistic direction. As muppetface said it does work openly with cliches, and as such to criticise the game for doing so is to miss the point. On the other hand this does mean that the artisitic direction is camp, which is OK but from what I have seen the campness comes without parody of anything in particular. If there are subtexts I have been unable to unravel them, at least from the hour or so of playthrough I have watched. Again I may be missing the point.
post #10882 of 21761

Wow... Camp? Infinite is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen. Its vibrance reminds me of Pixar's work more than anything really, and the environments are modeled after the buildings found in the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. In any case, I'd kill for more camp, anything that's different from the "visceral" grey and brown dudebro stuff that's this generation's been saturated with is good in my book. I think you ought to give the game a chance, and I'm not saying it's a masterpiece of some kind, but I'd definitely say that's it's a powerful experience if you let your guard down enough to care about Booker and Liz

 

 

 

Quote:
But what *isn't* cliche in videogames? I think the more important thing is what you try to do with those cliches, and Infinite does a pretty good job using its heavy hands to rub one off.

Yes. As the late Ebert once said: "It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it."  There's no such thing as originality. 


Edited by Idsynchrono_24 - 4/30/13 at 7:28pm
post #10883 of 21761

Years ago, while watching Hunter x Hunter, I came across this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAflk4baHWE

It's one of the reasons I got into J-rock and J-pop. It was also the first cd I bought from Japan directly. The band that plays it, "Wino", was kinda the Japanese equivalent of the Verve. Excellent stuff if you can find it.

post #10884 of 21761

Heya,

 

For those who don't follow the TMAC thread, we've elected to honor MalVeauX this month.  Due to his patient efforts with noobs out in the equipment forums, he's usually the first friendly post that new members get in reply.  If MalVeauX is a buddy of yours, please consider joining in this month's theme.

 

Also wanted to point out that a lot of us have elected to offer further tribute in the form of adopting his posting style.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

So I received this Dunu review unit for keeps, and in the package there's a tri-flange tip. So finally my curiosity can be satisfied. Wish I hadn't. It feels ****. That deep penetration... ughhh.

 

Tri-Flanges scare me.  I always leave them safely quarantined in their packaging.  A nice bulbous olive tip serving as an enemy at the gates is fine, but penetration isn't my thing.

 

Very best,

post #10885 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

 

 

Tri-Flanges scare me.  I always leave them safely quarantined in their packaging.  A nice bulbous olive tip serving as an enemy at the gates is fine, but penetration isn't my thing.

 

Very best,

Haven't people also reported Tri-Flanges detaching in their ear and requiring surgical removal?

post #10886 of 21761

Are tri-flanges more so for smaller more narrower ear canals? I was never able to get a seal with those no matter how deep I went lol. Plus I just felt so violated ;).
 

post #10887 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Heya,



Very best,

post #10888 of 21761

Back from Hong Hong. I had great meets / drinks with Gavin. Nice to see HF friends IRL.

post #10889 of 21761

post #10890 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Back from Hong Hong. I had great meets / drinks with Gavin. Nice to see HF friends IRL.

....

 

Did you see his FitEars?

deadhorse.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2