Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 687  

post #10291 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Books are far superior. American television actually used to be good.

 

I jest of course american television had never been good.

 

Yeah, I actually barely watch any American shows nowadays, with the exception of Dexter, Colbert, and Daily show, among a few others.

 

British shows are awesome due to how they engage your mind.

post #10292 of 21761

Futurama would definitely be the best out of the lot. Never panders, always a little hint of self-deprecation, but always classy (in their own unique way). And if not classy at least funny. Apparently funny is an important element in comedy shows.

I like to imagine that they use it to purge out whatever unpleasantries that stems from the mainstream pandering that the Simpsons thrive on. 

 

If we're talking Adult Swim in general though I've always loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman.

 

Oh wait I've completely contradicted my previous stance with these statements. Whoops.


Here's a question, and something I've yet to still grasp - what exactly is so enticing about the Flat-4s? People around here rave about them in general, so I guess it's something you'd have to hear to understand. But I'm still curious as to why exactly they seem to command the praise that they do.

post #10293 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

South Park has become extremely hit or miss for me these days with its topical focus.

 

I wonder if they'll ever make another South Park movie... the first movie Bigger Longer and Uncut happens to be my most favorite "musical" film. Talk about taste.

post #10294 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Futurama would definitely be the best out of the lot. Never panders, always a little hint of self-deprecation, but always classy (in their own unique way). And if not classy at least funny. Apparently funny is an important element in comedy shows.
I like to imagine that they use it to purge out whatever unpleasantries that stems from the mainstream pandering that the Simpsons thrive on. 

If we're talking Adult Swim in general though I've always loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman.

Oh wait I've completely contradicted my previous stance with these statements. Whoops.
Here's a question, and something I've yet to still grasp - what exactly is so enticing about the Flat-4s? People around here rave about them in general, so I guess it's something you'd have to hear to understand. But I'm still curious as to why exactly they seem to command the praise that they do.

I'm not sure who's raving about them since only a scant few own them wink.gif Joking aside, for me, it's how they portray space that's most addicting. I've never come across a IEM that projected such a large space before. It's really wide, open, and has immense depth to my ears. They make my ES5 feel congested in comparison. I'm also very impressed by their detail and clarity, and they possess a very dynamic sound with very articulate and well textured bass that has great punch. All's not perfect, however, as they can be a bit fatiguing to listen to due to the slightly hot treble and boosted bass. The timbre isn't the best I've heard either, and the midrange comes across as a bit thin compared to something like the FAD Heaven VI, causing snare drums, strings and piano to come across as a bit off

And I think American TV (cable programming at least) has been great. Stuff like Breaking Bad, GoT, Mad Men, The Wire etc are excellent

RE South park - I think Matt and Trey are pretty much burned out on the show after all these seasons. The tank isn't empty yet, if The Book of Mormon is any indication, but they'd probably benefit from working on some other project aside from SP rather than running it into the ground
Edited by Idsynchrono_24 - 4/18/13 at 5:34pm
post #10295 of 21761

About the only animated shows I watch anymore(outside of anime) are the Venture Brothers, and Archer. Use to like South Park until the recent seasons started going downhill--really miss Chef, even though the Scientologists destroyed his mind. Adultswim had a killer show that lasted only one episode, "Korgoth of Barbaria": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep65rr-9qjQ

Awesome show I woulda paid money for.

post #10296 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

I'm not sure who's raving about them since only a scant few own them wink.gif Joking aside, for me, it's how they portray space that's most addicting. I've never come across a IEM that projected such a large space before. It's really wide, open, and has immense depth to my ears. They make my ES5 feel congested in comparison. I'm also very impressed by their detail and clarity, and they possess a very dynamic sound with very articulate and well textured bass that has great punch. All's not perfect, however, as they can be a bit fatiguing to listen to due to the slightly hot treble and boosted bass. The timbre isn't the best I've heard either, and the midrange comes across as a bit thin compared to something like the FAD Heaven VI, causing snare drums, strings and piano to come across as a bit off

And I think American TV (cable programming at least) has been great. Stuff like Breaking Bad, GoT, Mad Men, The Wire etc are excellent

RE South park - I think Matt and Trey are pretty much burned out on the show after all these seasons. The tank isn't empty yet, if The Book of Mormon is any indication, but they'd probably benefit from working on some other project aside from SP rather than running it into the ground

I've noticed plenty of enthusiasm from those who do own them. And for the most part the more vocal owners are usually rather prolific on this site so that's definitely piqued my interest. Not to mention most impressions openly accept the flaws along with the good in a way that I find definitely not reminiscent of other breakout esoterica/FOTMs, which is always refreshing. Or it could be that people are understating the flaws and they happen to sound terribad. I might never know and frankly I should refrain from commenting.

 

American television nowadays just strike me as being over-dramatic and overreaching in terms of scale. 

 

Definitely waiting for the new season this fall. SP is to me what steak is to hipsters on a diet.

post #10297 of 21761

Discussion of food & Liquor drink comes and goes inside this thread. But spiked recently when a few of us found ourselves under all out attack by Pineapple maniacs and we sought refuge here. And was immediately stalked followed shortly thereafter.

 

And that's a :thumb: wrap!

post #10298 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Discussion of food & Liquor drink comes and goes inside this thread. But spiked recently when a few of us found ourselves under all out attack by Pineapple maniacs and we sought refuge here. And was immediately stalked followed shortly thereafter.

 

And that's a :thumb: wrap!

Gotta give me some slack, I've completely avoided using the word, let along actual pineapples, for ~30 minutes as of no-...

Whoops. 

post #10299 of 21761
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 View Post

King of the Hill, Futurama (S1-4) and classic Simpsons are my favorite. South Park has become extremely hit or miss for me these days with its topical focus. FG is borderline unwatchable for me, and yet I always find myself tuning in, I fear I may have stockholme syndrome or something. Bob's Burgers is my new favorite show at the moment, love the chemistry between the Belcher kids.

 

Bob's Burgers... YES.  I love that show. But then I also love H. Jon Benjamin. I still watch Dr. Katz from time to time.

 

I can't stand King of the Hill, but then I was surrounded by the real life versions of those characters during most of my undergrad years, so that might have something to do with it methinks.

 

I totally get you on the Stockholme Syndrome thing. For some reason I still tune in to Family Guy---well, it doesn't help that it's on next to American Dad which I actually like---and subject myself to it.

 

I stopped watching South Park ages ago (like back in 2002). Last time I saw it was back in college a few years later when I got high with my friend and some other people I barely knew; one of those borderline strangers demanded we marathon the show. He also demanded we order crappy big chain pizza. It was a nightmarish scenario.

 

Most of Adult Swim's newer shows aren't remotely enjoyable for me: Children's Hospital, Newsreaders, SUV, Eaglehart, etc. Loiter Squad is borderline passable for me: the obvious attempt at humor are pretty awful, but there are some funny details (like pulling an uzi out of a giftbag that someone took the time to properly trim up with gift paper and ribbons).

 

Mostly it's the old classic AS stuff I enjoy: ATHF, Assy McGee, 12 Oz Mouse, Perfect Hair, Frisky Dingo, Sealab, Squidbillies, Tom Goes to the Mayor, etc. Plus all that weird off-the-air pilot and music video stuff.

post #10300 of 21761
Thread Starter 

So combining food talk and TV talk...

 

Anyone watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman?

 

I love that show. Mostly just because of his reactions.

 

Edit: I worked long distance with a Dr. Zimmerman for a few years, so I reflexively type that whenever I think of Andrew Zimmern.


Edited by MuppetFace - 4/18/13 at 6:40pm
post #10301 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I can't stand King of the Hill, but then I was surrounded by the real life versions of those characters during most of my undergrad years, so that might have something to do with it methinks.

 

A friend who's lived most of his life in east Texas referred to King of the Hill as a documentary. I think that encapsulates both the best and worst aspects of it. I can see how it strikes too close to home for some people, but even for people like me who've never been to Texas, swap some accents around and a lot of the character tropes are common to other parts of the country.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Anyone watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman?

 

It's one of my favorite shows and Zimmern is one of my favorite TV hosts. Despite the title, Zimmern is earnest and unironic. He could get away with treating his subjects like sideshow acts and probably even more successful, but intead the respect he shows for the people and the food is really striking.

 

In some ways, he is to culinary tourism what Alton Brown has been for home cooking -- eye-opening in large part by stripping things down to basic principles and showing how much more awesome things can be when you try to understand them rather than simply be awed by them. Or freaked out by them, as the case may be.

post #10302 of 21761

If you like Jon Benjamin, you'll love Archer--he plays the main character, and it sometimes references his other works.

 

You liked Assy Mcgee? I thought nobody ever watched it, but me....

post #10303 of 21761

One of my favorite artists died today. Scott Miller of Game Theory and The Loud Family. There's been no word on the cause of his death yet.

 

"Motions of Ariel" from Attractive Nuisance:

 

Game Theory was the perennial hard-luck pop band; great, catchy, solid music but always a little too angular, or getting a little too experimental at just the wrong time, and a victim of a pretty spectacular record label failure. Loud Family was the better band in many ways (and several Game Theory veterans passed through its roster), but at times was also a little less accessible musically, like Scott had more confidence in what he was doing but not always within sight of his muse.

 

It was heartbreaking not only to hear about his death but also that it happened while Game Theory was re-forming to record a new album, which would have been Miller's first new music in seven years.

 

Everything by Game Theory has been long out of print and most of the titles have fallen victim to collectors' prices. 125 Records -- which released the later Loud Family albums and manages Miller's website -- has put MP3s of all of Game Theory's albums up for public download: "My main goal is to prevent people from trying to capitalize by selling these long out of print albums for lots of money. I want everybody who would like to hear these albums to be able to do so without paying outrageous prices." Links are posted on the homepage of loudfamily.com -- I recommend starting with Two Steps From The Middle Ages and, if you like that, try Lolita Nation. And then maybe thank them by buying some of Loud Family's in-print titles.


Edited by ardgedee - 4/18/13 at 7:01pm
post #10304 of 21761
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

So combining food talk and TV talk...

 

Anyone watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman?

 

I love that show. Mostly just because of his reactions.

 

Edit: I worked long distance with a Dr. Zimmerman for a few years, so I reflexively type that whenever I think of Andrew Zimmern.

I think I did a long^infinite time ago :s

post #10305 of 21761

"St. Michael" from Game Theory's album Lolita Nation:

 

A touching but brief reminiscence of Miller's bands in The Guardian this morning. I don't ordinarily recommend reading the comments on a newspaper's website but in this case Mitch Easter (who produced both Game Theory and Loud Family albums) adds his thoughts on working with them in the studio.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2