or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 670  

post #10036 of 21760

Have you read some of the articles on Mary-Jane helping with Cancer lol :P.
 

post #10037 of 21760

In cancer the idea is to prolong the life of the patient with their meds. If the patient goes into remission that's OK.

 

This doesn't mean that there aren't doctors that are doing their best to conquer cancer.

 

They are being hamstrung by companies who are intent on making the most profit out of the situation.

 

The end result is as stated above.

post #10038 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Have you read some of the articles on Mary-Jane helping with Cancer lol :P.
 

 

Please describe marijuana's mechanism of action. 

 

One thing I hate with a passion is when people regurgitate what they are spoon fed by others.

 

I study the diseases of the human body, down to the very amino acids that cause the problems. The body is INCREDIBLY complex. Some diseases will be a walk in the park, while others are a b1tch to treat. 

 

Have you ever wondered why things like HIV, cancer, and even the common cold are so hard to cure? I bet you think its also a giant pharma conspiracy that you have to get a new flu shot every single year. 

 

Remember that the FDA has to approve every single drug that is placed on the market. The first step of the process involves testing the new molecule to see if it is toxic to normally healthy people. If it passes, it moves on to the second stage, EFFICACY. It has to work at least as well as, or better than, other drugs on the market that treat that disease. If it does, then it moves into the larger clinical trials.

 

More often than not, some drugs come about as complete accidents. You know that tiny little blue pill that helps keep your significant other pleased? Its original intention was for it to be a high blood pressure treatment. In the larger trials, men who had erectile dysfunction started to report "happy" side effects. Thus, viagra was born. If you don't believe me, look up the Sildenafil creation story.

 

 

I agree with you about the banks and the fact that they get away with crimes, because that's been proven. However, if you're going to talk smack about the pharma industry, at least have an idea of what they do. I'd be glad to send you my powerpoint slides from first semester Pharmaceutics.

post #10039 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

 

They are being hamstrung by companies who are intent on making the most profit out of the situation.

.

 

Are you serious? Pharmacology has come amazingly far in treating diseases. We are trying everything from viral vectors, to humanized animal monoclonal antibodies. The industry spends hundreds of millions on the research and approval process for a single drug.

 

As much as we know about the human body, there's still so much being discovered every minute of every day. The physicians themselves have comparatively little to do with the objective process of chemical healing, other than diagnosis...which is actually confirmed by lab technicians. The pharmaceutical industry has already done the heavy lifting by developing the compounds, figuring the dosage through years of research (even in people with complications like renal failure, etc.), and actually getting the drugs on the market.

 

 

Public ignorance is the enemy here. I don't feel like the industry does enough to educate the public about what actually goes into making a drug.

post #10040 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Please describe marijuana's mechanism of action. 

 

One thing I hate with a passion is when people regurgitate what they are spoon fed by others.

 

I study the diseases of the human body, down to the very amino acids that cause the problems. The body is INCREDIBLY complex. Some diseases will be a walk in the park, while others are a b1tch to treat. 

 

Have you ever wondered why things like HIV, cancer, and even the common cold are so hard to cure? I bet you think its also a giant pharma conspiracy that you have to get a new flu shot every single year. 

 

Remember that the FDA has to approve every single drug that is placed on the market. The first step of the process involves testing the new molecule to see if it is toxic to normally healthy people. If it passes, it moves on to the second stage, EFFICACY. It has to work at least as well as, or better than, other drugs on the market that treat that disease. If it does, then it moves into the larger clinical trials.

 

More often than not, some drugs come about as complete accidents. You know that tiny little blue pill that helps keep your significant other pleased? Its original intention was for it to be a high blood pressure treatment. In the larger trials, men who had erectile dysfunction started to report "happy" side effects. Thus, Viagra was born. If you don't believe me, look up the Sildenafil creation story.

 

 

I agree with you about the banks and the fact that they get away with crimes, because that's been proven. However, if you're going to talk smack about the pharma industry, at least have an idea of what they do. I'd be glad to send you my powerpoint slides from first semester Pharmaceutics.

 

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/marijuana-and-cancer_n_1898208.html

 

You can believe what you want. But I believe the pharmaceutical industry is a very corrupt one and are all for profit. As I said they lobby congress (paying them of) to push their own agendas which benefit them and not the people. Hell a lot of the medications have so many side-effects it makes you wonder ("BTW this drug may raise your risk for heart-attack, stroke, and even death"). My opinion is the same on private insurance companies although I don't see Obama's option being any better.


Edited by lee730 - 4/13/13 at 9:36pm
post #10041 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/marijuana-and-cancer_n_1898208.html

 

You can believe what you want. But I believe the pharmaceutical industry is a very corrupt one and are all for profit. As I said they lobby congress (paying them of) to push their own agendas which benefit them and not the people. Hell alot of the medications have so many side-effects it makes you wonder (BTW this drug may raise your risk for heart-attack, stroke, and even death).

 

What is their agenda?

 

Your argument sounds like that of an old man in his rocker saying that cell phones cause mind control.

 

If you understood how the body works, you'd know where the side effects come from.

 

The drugs target specific receptors in the body. However, there may be a similar receptor in another location, causing side effects. There is also the issue of dosing. Drugs like ibuprofen, an NSAID, work by knocking out an enzyme that is essential to the pathway that produces pain and inflammation. The issue is that that enzyme also keeps the protective lining of the stomach from falling apart. You have to balance the dosage to keep blood levels above the minimum effective concentration, and below the minimum toxic concentration. Too little, and there won't be any effects (positive or negative). Too much, and you'll have stomach ulcers due to exposure of the lining to the acidic environment of the stomach. Knowledge of things like that is why we health professionals get paid so much money.

 

About marijuana, it was made illegal because of racism, not the pharma industry. If you want to look at why it is still illegal, ask the nicotine industry.


Edited by eke2k6 - 4/13/13 at 10:28pm
post #10042 of 21760

How did the thread gravitate from N. Korean nukes to pharmacare and Mary Jane?

post #10043 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

How did the thread gravitate from N. Korean nukes to pharmacare and Mary Jane?

 

Ignorance

post #10044 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Ignorance


+1

post #10045 of 21760

Sorry I asked....sooooo hows the weather in everyone's part of the world? Today we finally got some snow melting action going on and we had clear sunny skies.

post #10046 of 21760
Shanghai, 28 degrees (celcius)
post #10047 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Shanghai, 28 degrees (celcius)


............

.................

currently -2 Celcius where I am

(begins to cry)

post #10048 of 21760
Yes but we also have an air pollution index of 131 which is "unhealthy for sensitive groups" meaning équivalent to smoking cigs
post #10049 of 21760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

currently -2 Celcius where I am

(begins to cry)

 

frown.gif  It that unusual for this time of year?

 

58ºF/14ºC here.


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

post #10050 of 21760
It was 72F here today, gorgeous weather. My joints are happy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2